Jason says the game is not harder

If my memories dont fail, before deserts we had:

renewable milkweed
non decaying clothes
compost made from reed, mushed berries and carrot, without dung
non decaying baskets
wells anywhere we placed
warmer normal biomes
no complex foods, everyone knew how to farm carrots and sometimes we planted berries so our grandkids can eat them

"desert is an exploit"
well, i would call it reward for skill
most people still didnt know which tile is perfect by looking at it, and most babies still didnt understood why they need to stand still
most people still didnt used the edges of desert for farms, and even built hot rooms in the middle cause there was the empty space
we needed the skill to find the spot, build the first building and somehow enforce people to stand in tiles we want to, even if they didnt know anything about temperature management

now that we completely need to change the habit of finding a spot for a town, and we got to spend more time on babies, we get less time to make food, less time to make tools, need more time to make clothes, more time to teach kids and show them around

now with the new update, my first thought will be: does this kid can make clothes? do i even care to keep him/her before i got clothes myself?
what can we accomplish in one life? a set of clothes which decays on our great grand kid? maybe a farm which can support 4 people?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2019-02-16 09:20:31

Booklat1

Re: Jason says the game is not harder

The game is harder and i'm loving it. You're a hardcore player pein, i'm sure everytime you finish something big you'll feel much more rewarded now. Didn't you feel the game was to easy before?

#3 2019-02-16 09:45:29

Lily

I would say it is mixed. Before when everyone just farmed a billion carrots, things could go really bad if someone neglected the carrot farm. In fact, things could go very badly surprisingly quickly. All the things you listed makes the game harder, and there is also more complicated stuff with a lot of steps that also makes things harder. That said, there is a lot more options and more safety nets to help out. There really isn't a situation like before, where you run out of carrot seeds and boom, the city is done for. You have to mess up a lot more to entirely wipe a city out. Well you can run out of resources now, but it is much slower process.

So there is some harder stuff and some easier stuff.

#4 2019-02-16 10:18:37

Dodge

Imo the temp update fix is really good much more challenging and rewarding, before it was way too OP and clothes/buildings didnt make any sense

Still think there should be a shiver/sweat mechanic when too hot or too cold, temp meter not intuitive enough for new players

Maybe more clothes and some balancing for wool clothes, early skins/hides etc

No more desert towns with fully geared people munching on berries  smile

#5 2019-02-16 10:27:42

Peremptive

I am confused, if you run out of carrot seeds now how is the village not over? If noobs keep crashing the berries, how is the village not over? What safety net is there in the current system? It is really easy to run out of resources now, and griefers are taking advantage. Just keep shearing all the sheep and eating berries as an adult and you will see how easy it is to crash a village.

#6 2019-02-16 11:57:51

Dodge

Peremptive wrote:

I am confused, if you run out of carrot seeds now how is the village not over? If noobs keep crashing the berries, how is the village not over? What safety net is there in the current system? It is really easy to run out of resources now, and griefers are taking advantage. Just keep shearing all the sheep and eating berries as an adult and you will see how easy it is to crash a village.

If you have enough food ressources and use temp wisely with clothes, fire etc then you have time to get things rolling again, sheep, carrots etc

#7 2019-02-16 12:06:38

MultiLife

Next up, griefers hiding clothes to doom villages and getting all rabbit holes abandoned.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#8 2019-02-16 12:12:48

Greep

TBF: jason's right.  The game probably is not harder. Frontloading civilization difficulty will mean more babies in bigger towns when they do pop up.  There will probably only be one major town at a time, though.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#9 2019-02-16 15:09:54

Peremptive

MultiLife wrote:

Next up, griefers hiding clothes to doom villages and getting all rabbit holes abandoned.

plus people will kill all wild mufflon at a reasonable distance for their hides, then when the pen gets griefed the town will be over

#10 2019-02-16 16:54:54

pein

ints not really harder for me, im just fine with whatever, when i first joined discord first time, i was surprised that even good players starved from time to time, we were playing on a different server and everyone was coming back multiple times
its harder in a way that you need to pestrate others for a full life
already people making bad decisions and you pay for it
already people dont want a leader but they need one
the skill difference was obvious between a good eve and a bad one

its like doing things over and over again, and if you cannot make a proper thing in oen life, you might just need to go around collecting milkweed, make clothes and then you die

we do less in one life, which enforces a slower, more tedious life
things supposed to be easier when your choices are smarter
generally you can do something or you cant
then you can do it for an optimal size or you cant, and that threshold is very low
so that splits the people even more, you will have to do more things for others and in return you might get even less, this makes errors more annoying
it just gonna bring out more bad behavior

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-02-16 17:30:29

Rage
Banned

I don't think this game needs any more difficulty. I have been recommending ohol to my gamer friends on skype. That will not be the case anymore. I guess this jason guy just wants hardcore players on his game because it does not seem like he is listening to anything the community asks for. Either things get easier with an option to see the village you worked your ass off on again, or I am gone too. And I am pretty hard core player myself. Games are suppose to be fun. This game is not.

#12 2019-02-16 18:01:21

voy178

Jason's design decisions are questionable. He must either make the recipes easier or the world friendlier with regrowing fauna and flora. This game won't last with the current philosophy.

#13 2019-02-16 19:03:14

fragilityh14

though I starved earlier today for the first time in a long time,  because i was a child and the village ran out of food and wild berries were picked clean, I just played a full game, and it wasn't any more difficult.

I was never one of these people obsessed with optimizing or living in the desert, I just keep my food bar near full and use yum. Since I actually contribute, i don't feel too bad about it.

I really like that there's cause to wear clothes again and that we're not all living in the desert

Finding a spot with both water and soil AND desert or jungle to stand on was way too damn difficult. Finding a good spot with both soil and water and enough wild food to get started was already frustrating enough without every civ being in the desert.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#14 2019-02-16 21:49:12

Booklat1

voy178 wrote:

Jason's design decisions are questionable. He must either make the recipes easier or the world friendlier with regrowing fauna and flora. This game won't last with the current philosophy.

The only reason I play this game is it's philosophy of no steady states. Stuff that is greatly reinforced by this. Every nerf update people act like they'll riot. They said iron nerf was too much, decay was too much. I'd hate ths game if I knew no work I made had value because everything was just so pathetically easy to come by. And know what? it doesn't even take a week for metas to adapt and people realize they just backed off in the first difficulties.

I get pein saying we'll end up working more and more for achieving less and yes, it's kinda true. It'll take Jason adding more features so we have ways of doing things better and more efficiently (like looms for mass clothing or whatever) and therefore feel more accomplished. All we need s a abig base game update once Jason finishes messing with clothes (which is probably coming soon)

#15 2019-02-16 23:38:58

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:

The game is harder and i'm loving it. You're a hardcore player pein, i'm sure everytime you finish something big you'll feel much more rewarded now. Didn't you feel the game was to easy before?

If farming or cooking maybe.  If trying to forge, and I had just started with the newcomen stuff on a low population server, I felt it challenging to try to get as much done as possible.  It was easy to waste kindling or charcoal, and also saw lots of poor choices when watching people Stream (it wasn't always the streamer).  I'd definitely say no.  I felt the game challenging before even once I learned it, because figuring out how to make advanced machines like a diesel engine is pretty complicated, and remembering how to do certain things I felt might be tricky.  I've done SEVERAL runs as an Eve, and recently said to myself that I would make a stone hatchet when I could have used an axe instead, but chose to make a stone hatchet.  What do I do?  I make a fire bow drill instead.  So again, the answer is no.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#16 2019-02-16 23:44:03

JoshuaN

Reread the thread on temperature I posted / editted. There's some new information about the way temperature and clothing works.

Last edited by JoshuaN (2019-02-16 23:44:39)

Sustenance~   ( ・・)つ―{}@{}@{}-

#17 2019-02-17 06:40:54

Go! Bwah!

Rage wrote:

Games are suppose to be fun. This game is not.

Welcome to One Hour One Life!

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#18 2019-02-17 10:13:34

Peremptive

Go! Bwah! wrote:
Rage wrote:

Games are suppose to be fun. This game is not.

Welcome to One Hour One Life!

this game was fun before the update though

Board footer