One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-09 11:50:29

Tarr
Banned

Clothing meta after update

Apparently after the update everything is just colder. Neutral biomes are still terrible to live in and now deserts + jungle are more required than ever. What matters most is wearing full sets of clothing rather than just picking the best insulating clothing. Buildings and flooring didn't seem to do anything for heat and as such are still just as bad as ever.

Hats:
Raw turkey hat: Rating - Poor. Raw turkeys hats are only hats for people who like salmonella and being able to hold multiple turkeys at once. At 0% insulation this is only worn for fashion or so you can carry a turkey home without cart/holding it.
Toque Blanche: Rating - Poor. Costly and mostly for fashion these hats are only made to announce to the world the town had two wool caps. However, you a thinking person have turned them into one. 0% insulation, 0% worth it.
Straw hat: Rating - Good. The straw hat is the lowest tier of possible hats to make HOWEVER due to not decaying these are easily one of the best hats. 16.25% insulation and ease of mass production make straw hats better than most other hats.
Wool hat: Rating - Poor. Costly to make (four fleece per cap) and only 17.5% insulation make wool caps only real upside is they can be converted into the BiS non-decaying hat. Reminder: Dyeing wool resets its decay timer so dyed clothing has higher value undyed. Red > Blue as red is needed for santa hat.
Santa hat: Rating - Good. The best in slot non-decaying hat meaning any of these created will live on even once your family has been griefed out of the city. 18.75% insulation isn't much of an upgrade but even at its cost (5 fleece) it at least better than a white wool cap.
Rabbit fur hat: Rating - Okay. The rabbit fur hat costs you two rabbit furs to produce a hat with 21.25% insulation. These can be produced semi-easily with a competent rabbit hunter but generally speaking rabbit fur should be used for pants + shoes first before moving onto making rabbit fur hats. Feathers placed on this hat reset the decay timer just like dyeing wool.
Wolf hat - Rating - Great. The wolf hat is our best in slot hat at 22.5% insulation. Early game these may become scarce however late game a skilled player can comfortably crank out wolf hats for the next generations without worry of running out.

Hat rating chart
Wolf hat > Santa hat > Straw hat > Rabbit hat > Wool hat > Raw turkey > Toque Blanche

Chests:
Apron/Red Cross Apron: Rating - Great. Even at 0% insulation having an extra slot to hold items is always good. This is where the majority of your cities fleece should be going instead of only making wool clothing.
Sheepskin: Rating - Poor. Sheep skin is the worst tier of possible chest pieces you can have in game at 10.5% like the seal skin, however unlike the sheep skin the seal can be converted into the best in slot chest. Only make if someone isn't hunting mouflon or other options are not available.
Seal skin: Rating - Poor. Just like the sheep skin this is something only Eves/children of Eves should be making. At 10.5% these are only worth having around if no one in the camp is old enough to hunt mouflons.
Mouflon skin: Rating - Great. The best of the non-decaying insulation clothing the mouflon skin sits at 21% insulation. Easy to mass produce, easy to get your hands on early these are the default chests to be passed around cities/Eve camps. 
Wool sweater: Rating - Poor/Great. Depending on whether you convert your sweater to an apron or dye it determines on its rank. At 24.5% insulation for six fleece the sweater as actual clothing isn't worth making. However, making them to convert to aprons is by far the better option.
Rabbit fur shawl: Rating - Poor. At the cost of three rabbit furs and decaying you get a measly 24.5% insulation from this chest piece. The furs used to make this are much better used for shoes + loincloths.
Rabbit fur coat: Rating - Poor. For the cost of an additional rabbit fur for a total of four we move from 24.5% to 29.75%. Do not make these unless you are absolutely swimming in rabbit furs as this chest piece alone is worth four sets of pants or four pairs of shoes.
Sealskin Coat: Rating - Great. The very best of the chest pieces the sealskin coat provides 31.5% insulation at the cost of one sealskin. Unfortunately, these are not renewable so mass production is not recommended.

Chest rating chart
Sealskin coat = Apron > Mouflon skin > Rabbit fur coat > Rabbit fur shawl > Wool sweater > seal skin > sheep skin

Shoes:
Old boot: Rating - Very poor. The worst of the shoes with 0% insulation these are just an RP option or something you wear for fashion. Doesn't decay and requires a trash pit to remove them from existence.
Fruit boot/Snake skin boot: Rating - Good. At 5% insulation and having the ability to store a cactus fruit on your foot these bring utility, remove snakes from the map, and provide insulation. Second best shoe option.
Wool booty: Rating - Poor. At the cost of two fleece per shoe and 7% insulation these are four times as costly as making a single rabbit fur shoe. The only upside is the decay timer can be reset via dyeing but overall not a good choice.
Rabbit fur shoe: Rating - Great. The cheapest to make of the shoes at .5 rabbit fur per shoe and the highest insulation at 8.5% these are the shoes of choice. Easily made, easily replaced the rabbit fur shoe is where excess furs go (besides backpacks and pants.)

Shoe rating chart
Rabbit fur shoe > Fruit boot > Snakeskin > Wool booty > Old boot

Pants:
Reed skirt: Rating - Okay. The reed skirt is the only non-decaying pants option at 12% insulation and can be made before the bone needle is available. However, unlike most clothing options this requires a rope which is double the thread cost of most clothing options.
Rabbit loincloth: Rating - Good. At 17% insulation and only requiring one rabbit fur to produce these are the default option choice for pants. Easy to make, easy to replace, and cheap make these generally better than mass producing reed skirts.

Pants rating chart
Rabbit loincloth > Reed Skirt

Last edited by Tarr (2019-02-10 03:15:04)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-02-09 11:51:44

Tarr
Banned

Re: Clothing meta after update

What is the priority of clothing?

Chest > Hat > Pants > Shoes.

What clothing options require no thread?

Sheep skin, Seal skin, Mouflon Hide, Reed skirt*, Wool clothing, Turkey hat, Crowns.
*Requires rope instead.

What clothing options do not decay?

Reed skirt, Straw hat, Sheep skin, Seal skin, Mouflon hide, Turkey hat, Crowns, Toque Blanche, Old boot, Apron, Red Cross Apron, Santa hat.

What are the decay timers for clothing?
5 hours to decay into rags, 30 minutes for rags to decay into nothingness.

What is the easiest to produce clothing set for Eve?
Mouflon Hide, Straw hat, Rabbit loincloth (skip shoes until sheep age). Set up costs a total of 2 thread per person (Bow + arrow is needed tech for sheep so is expected to be made at some point.)

What are the BiS clothing pieces?
Wolf hat, Sealskin Coat, Rabbit loincloth, Rabbit fur shoes.

What is the priority when it comes to Rabbit fur?
Pants > Backpacks > Shoes > Coat > Shawl.

What is priority when it comes to wool?
Apron > Sterile pads > Thread > Santa hat > Wool Sweater (white) > Wool cap (red) >  Wool cap (blue) > Wool cap (white) > Wool booty (red/blue) > Wool booty (white) > Wool sweater (red/blue)

How many uses per ball of thread + needle?
Seven total but after six it becomes a needle and thread.

^^^Tips and Tricks^^^

Dyeing wool clothing resets its decay timer. If great grandma was running around in some white wool it's worth dyeing it (as long as its not a sweater.)

Adding a feather resets the decay timer of rabbit fur hats. Use this to your advantage to keep your rabbit hats around for the next few generations.

Wolf hats are renewable if you breed wolves. At the cost of one bowl of carnitas and one mutton breeding wolves is an easy way to produce a massive amount of hats. However this needs to be done away from town to prevent random wolf attacks.

Ball of thread becomes a regular needle and thread after six uses. This last bit can be used for a garland should you want to make a yule tree thus lowering the overall thread cost by up to four.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-02-09 12:13:04)

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-02-09 12:27:09

pein

just my 2 cents:
i hate seal coats in cities where i need to duel or kill griefers, i only ever starved after kills in seal skin coat as they are too hot, also kills you on fever
wolf hats cover parts of backpack making it annoying for me, and thats why i dont like them, adds extra skill cap on using the packs, and if you got an newbie last girl, this can kill her as she can barely use the pack alone and wont understand why 2 milimeters distance on a click matters
and for fur clothes: i rarely see enough backpacks for whole population, loin cloths are ok to make when fur is plenty, but i still rather make extra packs with every single fur than any fur clothing

Last edited by pein (2019-02-09 12:27:42)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-02-09 12:43:02

Tarr
Banned

pein wrote:

just my 2 cents:
i hate seal coats in cities where i need to duel or kill griefers, i only ever starved after kills in seal skin coat as they are too hot, also kills you on fever
wolf hats cover parts of backpack making it annoying for me, and thats why i dont like them, adds extra skill cap on using the packs, and if you got an newbie last girl, this can kill her as she can barely use the pack alone and wont understand why 2 milimeters distance on a click matters
and for fur clothes: i rarely see enough backpacks for whole population, loin cloths are ok to make when fur is plenty, but i still rather make extra packs with every single fur than any fur clothing

You have to remember how unfriendly neutral biomes are in general especially with new players. One pip per 4.8 seconds is going to kill a bunch of noobs + noob camps if clothing isn't rushed in one form or another. Per nude person in camp an extra 316 pips are going to be made an hour to make up for the lack of desert heat slowing the food drain rate.

This means one person only eating berries is going to require 21.31 full berry bushes per hour to survive vs the old number of 12.37 if they lived in a full desert.

While backpacks are important for useful members of the camp it's still probably better to try to lower total food drain rate than make one person more productive overall. In respect to wolf hats it's probably better to hand those out to people without backpacks in the first place to reduce that issue and give out straw hats to people with backpacks.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-02-09 13:48:49

Dodge

Hopefully he will buff clothes in general even early skins for eve camps otherwise if desert and biome edges are unviable it's going to be hard for them to survive, full gear should give optimal temp in regular biomes (green/swamp/plaine).

Imo having some clothes decay and some not, even if it's practical doesn't make sense but also the more time and ressources put into it, the more advanced in tech and depending on the material used the slower it should decay (maybe an exception for clothes purely aesthetical that offer no insulation why not but i think it should depend on the material used, like a gold crown obviously wont decay)

Maybe a way to preserve clothes to slow their decay, dyeing clothes could be this way for wool clothes and maybe futur clothes we could have with maybe cotton,linen, hemp etc.

But it requires Alum and indigo or rose madder that would quickly go out if everyone dyed clothes, indigo and rose madder coud be farmable as for mordants any of the following could be used:

stale urine
salt
vinegar
wood ash in solution
oak galls
water  in which rusty iron has been soaked
willow or oak bark
copper pieces that have been soaked in ammonia for about 2 weeks.

Having the more advanced clothes be easier to make (meaning less time consuming than trapping rabbits or feeding 6 sheeps) could be interesting regarding tech and proggression in game, for example the more advanced clothes could require a diesel engine  or even more advanced tech but at the same time be relatively easy to mass produce.

So if he fixes clothes, early game meta would be seal skin/mouflon hide since they are fast to make and dont require thread for sewing, then when farming is doing good for milkweed or even much better sheep for needle and ball of thread it would be the rabbit clothes mixed with sheep clothes since they are renewable (chest piece then hat or loincloth then shoes)

So having a good rabbit biome would be the new desert, doubles as food source but requires trapping the rabbits and growing more milkweed early game but if clothes are fixed and full rabbit set gives perfect temp it would be worth the effort in terms of food saving.

Basically villages that are well located and who actually make clothes and progress in tech would thrive while other villages would perpetually struggle with food and eventually die out.

Right now even bad villages that dont progress in tech or make clothes get a freepass by being on a desert edge which is OP

Making clothes would be an essential part of a village and rewarded by a much lower food consumption

#6 2019-02-09 15:21:36

Grim_Arbiter

Whatever happens, I still feel like the bigger towns almost require clothing and people want and need to wear clothes. When your town has over 20 people running around in it, you need some kind of way to differentiate each other. Smaller settlements not so much obviously. Sometimes it's hard to find your baby in the sea of other babies unless they have something other babies dont.

Chef hats and aprons can be extremely beneficial for workspaces because you can easily tell what is being done. If there's a chef or even two at the kitchen or a bunch of straw hats running around farming, you usually know that section of the village is running and you can focus somewhere else.

I saw jason say that he wants people to put clothes on AND take them off, and I have done that when whatever job I'm doing calls for it.

Last time I was the baker in bell town, me and another guy were both the bakers and both had the chef hats. We were really cranking out food when the shears broke at the same time we ran out of iron. I told the other chef the situation and to keep going the best that he could. I put my chef hat away in the chest near the oven, and closed the lid. I grabbed a nearby wolf hat and told everyone I was getting iron. After horse carting to get iron and make those shears I was able to decide that the one chef (who I found easily by the hat) was enough for our need. I showed him the shears and gave him my knife. I kept that wolf hat on and gathered the farther things like wood for the rest of that life.

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-02-09 15:26:25)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2019-02-09 15:23:22

CrazyEddie

pein, your post is basically pointless until the update actually comes out. There's no telling what he's going to change until we actually get to see it, and the effects will be hard to predict until we actually get to play it.

I'm not convinced that Jason has a strong enough idea of what he wants to accomplish that he'll be able to accomplish it. I expect a lot of tweaking of values in the weeks ahead.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2019-02-09 15:25:11)

#8 2019-02-09 15:24:53

BlueDiamondAvatar

Why are jungles going to be more difficult to live in after the update?  Is Jason also changing their underlying temperature?  Otherwise, they are the closest to the ideal temperature.  I didn't see anything in the live-dev-updates that does that - but IANAP.

I like to make pants, but many players will stop and stare at me like I'm murdering someone.  Can you provide more about your reasoning that a pair of pants is of higher priority for rabbit fur than the backpack?

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#9 2019-02-09 20:35:34

Turnipseed

Wool clothing oughtta be a bit cheaper you cant tell me it takes two whole sheeps worth of wool to make a sock

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#10 2019-02-09 21:25:00

Tarr
Banned

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

Why are jungles going to be more difficult to live in after the update?  Is Jason also changing their underlying temperature?  Otherwise, they are the closest to the ideal temperature.  I didn't see anything in the live-dev-updates that does that - but IANAP.

I like to make pants, but many players will stop and stare at me like I'm murdering someone.  Can you provide more about your reasoning that a pair of pants is of higher priority for rabbit fur than the backpack?

Because when talking about changing things in discord he specifically spoke about making both the desert + jungle boiling (unlivable or incredibly harsh) while all other biomes stayed the same. Pants have higher value than backpacks as your first goal should be getting as many people dressed as possible since anyone nude is basically consuming close to twice the amount of food as their clothed counterparts. I haven't sat down and done the math to see how much clothes per person is needed but it's at least 2+ with my gut leaning towards at least three pieces per person needed to get back to our old normal drain rate (one pip per 8.3 seconds naked in a desert.)

One or two backpacks might be a good starting point for those foraging but focusing on that over bringing your food drain rate down is just going to bring doom overall.

Turnipseed wrote:

Wool clothing oughtta be a bit cheaper you cant tell me it takes two whole sheeps worth of wool to make a sock

Wool clothing almost has never been worth making. Aprons, thread, and sterile pads are much better uses for the fleece than most wool clothing options. Plane wings too are also a better use than just making a booty or two.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2019-02-09 23:16:38

BlueDiamondAvatar

Tarr wrote:

Because when talking about changing things in discord he specifically spoke about making both the desert + jungle boiling (unlivable or incredibly harsh) while all other biomes stayed the same.

Ok, he did talk about that.  But the code changes thus far won't make jungles any hotter.  Ok, it'll make jungle edges hotter, if you assume those edges were next to a cooler biome... but that won't change the fact that jungle is the biome that is closest to the ideal temperature. Nor will the other heat calculation changes.

But even if he does push out something for this week that leaves jungles at an ideal temp... it probably won't last, as he's sure to change it in future updates.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#12 2019-02-10 02:14:14

Turnipseed

But say if 1 fleece made 2-4 balls of thread in a stack this quasi renewable clothing source should be viable

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

Board footer