One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-08 21:57:25

apereason

We need new ways to do old things

Right now I see the game as a single path to the top of the tech tree with a couple of interesting but unnecessary things along the way. There are lots of fun distractions (Crowns, Buildings, Burritos, Etc.) But none of them are really necessary to get to the ideal city. I feel like there should be more ways to do more basic things. My idea is that eve has more than one way to set up a village and progress through the tech tree but I have no idea how this would happen. Maybe a few more stone age related things? Mammoths? More things to hunt? Different foods as effective as mutton pie or nerf mutton pie to make foods more equal in value?

I think it would really be cool to make different cultures a bigger thing in the game with corresponding items. I would really like to see more culturally unique villages out there but all we have now is gatherer, agricultural and higher level agricultural. The only way I can see making more diverse cultures is adding more unique things that we can use to build a unique village.

Anyway I still really like the game as it is and I can see more diversity really making it more fun in the future.

#2 2019-02-08 22:13:04

BlueDiamondAvatar

Re: We need new ways to do old things

I agree that it would be nice to have multiple paths to the top.  But I tend to think of it in terms of having more biomes be viable for an Eve.  To a large part different cultures evolved because of different environments. 

To diversify our city biomes, we'd definitely need more biomes producing water. Maybe with different ways to build wells, depending on the source? Another step is having a greater variety of fibers (both plant and animal) that can be used to create thread and ropes.   And a way to make bowls/ovens/plates/kilns without clay - or different forms of clay in different environments.

I really hate the idea of nerfing mutton pies.  We are struggling to keep our villages going as it is...  Another transportable high "pip" food would be great.  Maybe just tweak bean burritos, so they provide multiple bites?

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#3 2019-02-09 08:55:49

Nepumuk

I'd love it if we end up with a game where any biome is livable with the right tools and equipment. Ice biome with igloos and super warm clothing from seals, maybe add ice bears. Grassland with wooden huts, desert with tents and linen clothing etc.

But I think this would be outside of the scope of Jason's game plan to be honest, but who knows?

As it is I would be happy if we could just move away from the eternally same farming setups. Towns do not need to be centered around giant berry farms and it's such a massive sink of effort and resources.

I've tried going different ways in my eve camps like heavy foraging and fast popcorn, but people just won't eat it and they will not farm it. If I tell people to make a berry farm, they make 100 bushes. If I don't tell them what to farm they still make 50. If I tell them explicitly not to farm berries, they will still make about 30 bushes lol.
And later, when we got stew and pies they will also not eat it. Yesterday we put four pots of stew next to the berry farm.... the four pots never were used up but the berries sure were emptied and fixed and eaten again several times, using a ton of compost in the process.

I don't know how but this meta gotta change.

Last edited by Nepumuk (2019-02-09 08:59:08)

I am Eve Speed.

#4 2019-02-09 09:36:13

Tarr
Banned

Well the temperature update is going to change up the early game meta a bit. Clothes are going to be mandatory otherwise food consumption is going to be waaay too high for things to be sustainable. Eveing will be easier in the sense you don't have to find a perfect biome mixture of desert/swamp/green but on the other hand pip drain rate switching from one pip per 8.3 seconds (nude in desert) over to one pip per 4.8 seconds is going to be ball busting for bad players.

Buildings also gain value with desert/jungles being unviable living areas as their heat bonuses become an advantage instead of just something that hurts you for caring about structure. Also since clothing is actually needed it means tailoring is also something useful unlike currently where making things other than aprons/backpacks is bad or just a fix for a bad location.

Nepumuk wrote:

I've tried going different ways in my eve camps like heavy foraging and fast popcorn, but people just won't eat it and they will not farm it. If I tell people to make a berry farm, they make 100 bushes. If I don't tell them what to farm they still make 50. If I tell them explicitly not to farm berries, they will still make about 30 bushes lol.
And later, when we got stew and pies they will also not eat it. Yesterday we put four pots of stew next to the berry farm.... the four pots never were used up but the berries sure were emptied and fixed and eaten again several times, using a ton of compost in the process.

I don't know how but this meta gotta change.

I very much understand this feeling. I remember when we killed off pein's lineage by having an egg/sauerkraut diet which led to all the noobs dying due to not having sixty berry bushes to munch on while everyone who knew how to play survived and thrived. I remember all the times I've made large amounts of sauerkraut and just returning over and over again to see one or two crock out of 20 eaten while there's people starving in the fields.

Still hoping he shaves off the invisible two food bonus or at least changes it down to one sometime soon. There's so many food options out there at this point we don't need the bonus food imo.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-02-09 20:35:38

fragilityh14

i also like the idea of having ice cultures etc. Especially with the risk clothes give you of yellow fever now. i think we would just generally need bigger biomes. Which, now that there are horses etc would be viable. I'm not a programmer, but my understanding of how the game works is that the biome size and variability is just an input, and (though it would either required a map reset or only apply to new areas) that it would just be a matter of making biomes bigger and reducing variability.

I had been quite interested in the idea of making it more viable to be long-term hunter gatherers. One option for that would be to allow the cutting of burdock root to allow it to be planted just with a sharp stone, but then it takes a long time to be viable, like possibly even an epoch. However, the milkweed never coming back really nerfed that possibility of not having agriculture.

But, people don't seem interested in doing this anyway, even though i think it would be cool if villages were periodically raided by "savage" tribes and whatnot.

Regarding stew, i don't have a great answer to that. I wonder if people think they will get yelled at for eating the nice foods other people make? Though compost is fully sustainable, it's ridiculous the amount of it you have to make when large groups of people are living off of berries. And then you spend all your time and water on the bushes.

When i'm in a camp with stew it's usually my primary food source, or at least one of them.

I think part of the problem with eating the same foods is just the nature of the compost cycle

It's really well balanced, but it forces you to have a large volume of mutton and wheat. So, of course you have to constantly make mutton pies. And you have to have berries for the cycle. This could be massively reduced if a fed sheep produced manure, as opposed to only when a lamb becomes an adult. i think part of the idea is to force you to have knives though, which is unnecessary because you need the iron shovel anyway. 

one solution could be to allow more than one way to make compost and feed lambs. For one thing the threshed wheat would be fine as lamb food. No one really mashes carrots and berries to make compost, it was just a convenient available thing. There's no reason a plate of chopped squash couldn't do the same thing, or any number of things which are available. There's also no reason goose poop couldn't be used.

If we get more than one way to make soil, i think we will really see villages doing different things.

I'd also like some way to turn graves into fertile soil. It could be as easy as just making where you bury them work as fertile soil. The number of graves is becoming a problem, especially with limited irons, and human bones are a resource.

Also I've only been in one place with a high volume of sauerkraut, and I was seemingly about the only person eating it.

Maybe food delivery should be a job. Though, you'd need to make it possible to transport more full bowls easily...but that's as straightforward as letting some of them stack.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#6 2019-02-10 06:15:33

pein

goes back to idea of bigger biomes

as i stated there you need wood, water, soil and a way to make clothes, and some food until you get going, thats the low end
high end is stuff you want to be close to, so it worth moving to, now we got mines which are good but they deplete, so no reason to move to there, if they would regen then maybe
now jungles got godo temperature and maybe you can transport water to them, we need similar aoe effects or soem sort of regenerative resources

ice could have fishing, distilling water, no farming, this would mean it would need more fishes, more worms, some minigame where you can survive with some simple food which generates small bites, and fish would give 80% of food source
savanh could be a hunter biome where some sort of special animal would populate it, you would constantly need to feed them and hunt them, but also some sort of low level food which keeps you alive
badlands are mountains so maybe if potato wouldnt require water at all, some sort of higher tech and work intensive cities could arise, you would always need to make tools fast to survive and always have them at hand
jungle maybe regen the banana at much lower rate and plant fruit trees, mroe focus on transport water than having it close

this all alack a base level food source which is as reliable as farming carrots/berries or even corn which i never seen it happen after the popcorn update and nerf

this could be managed with a client side temporary food, similar to onion and burdock but regenerative, where you and only you could find just enough food to keep you alive, like mushrooms after rain, where you could collect some and eat it within a short time, but it would be intensive exploration and not effective to sustain others, maybe a debuff of malnutrition where you would decrease your food bars by doing so, and your life expectancy would go down. to cure this, you would need to reach yum bonus of 5 or 10 or so from normal food.

other would be some sort of very low calorie food like hot water and some wild seeds, which would take a fair amount of setup, feed the family for a bit, but you spend a lot of time just doing so, but it would be avalaible any time if you prep it in time
also as in other topic i said, clothes would increase max food bar, so at low end you would need to eat multiple times less food, at high end you would eat less food less times, have more time for other things

so the low end stress level should be less but more consistent, more forgiving but less rewarding
the only way berry bushes are going out of meta, having very similar items with similar properties, like low maintenance food option with low travel , it gives some value, but not much, renewable, some sort of minigame like compost, where you make things and use it up, then you can do it again over and over, which isnt efficient or better than other things, but doesnt take away from other things as it doesnt uses the same base elements
i think some sort of growing some roots or mushrooms, then after eating it, has some seed to plant it back
it must be instant cause people have trouble with preparing food, even eggs are higher skill level food

that run with tarr, i even had alleria as my kid, tarr was grandkid, so we had soemone each generation to take care of important thigns, and that was a high populated camp right after steam update, i dont think anyoen ever managed to raise up as many kids, eggs werent nerfed yet and we had tons of ponds, but only a small desert, i even made tools, sauercraut was a good choice as we had another small desert with ice pond and normal pond

i htink the other problem is not having an easy way to eat, each food needs some sort of knowledge how to eat it, now this sounds bit silly, but yeah, no one eating from a bowl until he knows how to eat from a bowl
maybe tutorial should have a section on foods, where you need to stack up yum, with all foods avalaible, prepare all kidns of foods and it opens one door after you eat them,peopel would be more inclined to do that, also they would come in real games with a knowledge of at least how to eat ready made stuff

having yum made a new trend of yumo maniacs which isnt intended really, so maybe we should have hard cap yum bonus at 5 or 10 and punishment for not having any, like i said, lowering the life expectancy, which isnt final but need to be taken care of later, so you can make the error, but repair it later, but if you keep doing it, you need to pay for it
people just make berries cause they are easy and recognizable, even if you had something that has to be put in a bowl and mushed to eat it, wouldnt be as good, or even if burdock or onion would regrow wouldnt be as used, as people are just way to lazy to do more than that eating whatever is easiest
that in mind we coudl have a table with food, where the principle is the same: you eat whatever is on table same way, by clicking the table
this would make it easy to newbies to eat and we would have the power to keep others fed by refilling it, then you could explain how to put food on the table, also would act as a storage for people, which would make it essential to make them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer