One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-08 21:16:21

BlueDiamondAvatar

How to live in jungle biomes without those pesky mosquitoes

The Heat update that is about to be released will make deserts unlivable, even on their edges.  So suddenly Jungle biomes will be the best place to raise babies without draining your village of needed "calories".

I've been playing with mosquito pushing since first seeing the wonderful mosquito walls of my beloved Two Bell berry patch on the outskirts of San-Cal.  But many of my discord and forum OHOL friends still don't get it.  Here's the low-down.

Mosquitoes, like all animals, can not occupy any tile that has an object in it.  Most of you know enough to stand on an object when a bear and/or 'quito is nearby.  And, of course, once spawned, the mosquito will not change biomes ever again.
You can use these behaviors to limit or block mosquitoes from even entering an area.

Mosquitoes can only move up to five tiles at a time.  So if you create a wall of items five tiles deep, you can push the 'quitoes out of your jungle town forever.

But just try doing this in the middle of an active town!  It's an exercise in futility.  Mosquito pushes work best when setting up an eve camp, or on the edge of an existing town.

What do I mean by mosquito push?  Well, before you have completely blocked mosquitoes from entering your future home, you will have limited their access.  If you blockade is only three objects deep, you will still have reduced the likelihood that the mosquito RNG lands that bug in your village, rather than back into the untamed wilderness.  The more tiles you have filled with stuff, the more you will have "pushed" the mosquitoes out of your future home.

What do I mean by mosquito wall? I mean something that has effectively BLOCKED a mosquito from entering a region.  The best case is what we had in San-Cal - a permanent structure (the bell tower bases) that cuts off three or four tiles of jungle from being reachable to any other piece of jungle biome, plus some structures to keep people from walking into the pinned mosquitoes (the nearby adobe oven bases).   

But a temporary "wall" is a natural outgrowth of a mosquito push, and will always preceded an effective permanent mosquito wall. Create a continuous boundary that is five objects deep, and you have a mosquito wall. 

What kind of objects should you use?  Well, I almost always start a mosquito push with bone piles.  It can make the endless corpses of your suicide babies slightly less terrible- because you can put them to use!  Blocking Mosquitoes!  I've also used the endless milkweed seeds, the firewood and butt logs from chopped down jungle trees, bananas, etc.  The less useful the items the better. No one is going to say, "hey bones!  I need that!", but random family members WILL eat your bananas, and gather the wood.

But I think the best material for a temporary mosquito wall is rabbit bone needles.  The needles are great because - they are nearly permanent, and mostly invisible.  So they don't make the edge of your town all that terribly ugly.  All you need is one set of rabbit bones and a flint chip.  It's also good to have an axe handy - to knock down any rubber trees that are keeping you from placing bones behind them. 

For permanent walls, you can use the same materials you would for a sheep pen - either stone blocks, or adobe oven bases, or (gasp) real walls. If your mosquitoes are in a small patch of biome, you can get a way with just a few blocks.  In that case, I recommend also blocking access to the tile from other directions (as in San-Cal).  But in some large jungle masses pinning the mosquitoes to a single tile isn't going to be possible.  In which case, your permanent mosquito wall will need entrances and exits for the people living there - just as you would build on the corner of a sheep pen.  Once a permanent wall is done, you can clean up the mess of stuff you used for temporary walls. 

One last thing I'd like to mention... overtime, mosquitoes drift to the top of the biome they are trapped in.  So it's slightly easier to push the mosquitoes from the southern edge of a biome to the northern edge.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#2 2019-02-09 12:08:56

pein

Re: How to live in jungle biomes without those pesky mosquitoes

yeah, kinda correct but people wont understand like this, also missing some key things

so recap:
mosquitoes can move only straight in any random directions so basically any of 8 tiles around them
they can skip trough, 1,2,3,4 items but not 5
they cannot enter a pen with a corner or front entrance
they are also blocked by the biome borders which is not necessarily jungle, its the current biome they are inside
if they are on a desert, they spawned on a desert initially, they didnt moved out of jungle
this is due to perin noise, a naturally looking seed, which is used by jason to create biomes. the algorithm fills the space with a biome, then makes the next biomes, then fills them with random items like trees, resources and animals. the spaces between two biomes are filled with an overlay which is generally empty space, and can happen that the game considers green tiles or even ice as desert, but they look like grene or ice. but tiies wont change, so if you see an animal passing trough different color tiles, they can go back too. this is rare and harder to notice.

there are 3 different animal behaviours: aggro (bear, pitbull, domestic mouflon, sheep with no lamb, domestic bison and cow with no calf)
aggro can be friendly and offensive. so you can lure them standing between target position and them
escape(horse, sheep with lamb, boar) so you can push them standing opposite to target direction near them
and ignore (snake, mosquito) so you got no effect on their pathing
the interactions happen when you are at the same tile as them, not when passing trough so a bear wont kill you between A and B, only if you pass trough A or B same time as they still are on the tile

range can be short (4 tiles) meaning they can skip trough objects, if they arent blocking (cactus, pond, walls, cisterns etc)
but wont go further than 4 tiles (you can exploit this to lure or push faster by putting objects with empty spaces between)
long : horses can go like 8 tiles, not sure exactly
unlimited: bears can skip trough any items straight as far as i know
just imagine queens on a chess board, you need to move like a horse, so never be on chess, or hide behind walls

most animals, like mosqitoes and sheep is short range
this range also means 2 same type biomes are connected if the distance is shorter than 5 tiles so they can skip trough it
but if a biome has 5 wide neighbour, they are separated

animals also get blocked on sides, so they will be more likely on biome borders, especially top side as they start moving toward top and left, if they are blocked that way they try other directions

so to push out mosquitoes, you need to have a target area, generally its the elongated narrow zone on one corner
the target area need to be blocked, and most effective way is to find a bottleneck, so if a jungle has a 1x5 wide zone, you can block it with one single wall, thats rare, but you will be able to find a corner which is narrow and takes less ressources

filling tiles, with any item, blocks animals to stop on that tile
not everyone knows this, thats why people die to bears or stack up items which would block mosquitoes
so you need permanent and less useful items to block mosquitoes
human bones are useless but they arent permanent, they decay in 2 hours (1 if digged) . placing stone on grave makes it semi permanent
also you want items which arent easy to move or remove but those generally take more time like you can hit stakes in ground, or home marker, or a berry bush, hardened row, radio parts, these are safe to stand on as people need some simple tools to remove them

rabbit bones got the benefit of decaying in a few minutes, and infinite as long as you lift the bones up and move to other tile with right click
needles are permanent and lose value, therefore interest if there is a lot of them
milkweed seeds are also infinite and can be put on fire to delete them
snow balls are honorable mentions, as they cost nothing and block tile but dont block movement (until you put two on top of one other)
if you use melting snowballs or bones, you got to be fast

your main goal is to push X mosquitoes to corner, and wall them
generally this means you need at least X amount of walls for X mosquitoes, thats why target area matters
you will never want to wall them in middle of the biome as it has no borders in middle
borders act as walls so you want L shape edge and build L shape wall next to it
that why bottlenecks are best, as if you squeze them trough it, you need less walls

temporary solution is to fill tiles with items, this pushes them out of those tiles
then you can use a pseudo wall like 5 bones in a row each direction from target zone, 5 bushes or just  a wall blocking each line and diagonal
permanent sollution is ancient wall, upgraded newcommen (4 blocks and a pump beam kit) or cisterns, or bell bases after 3 hours
semi permanent is graves with stones, trees, tree stumps, adobe wall (still hard to remove, sadly i seen people making room from a mosquito wall)

based  on number of mosquitoes you need a lot of time blocking them out, also bigger jungle generally has more of them
blocking out 5-6 takes like 6 walls optimal case
dont really recommend blocking out 10+, takes a lifetime, generally a jungle with 10 mosquitoes is useless, especially if its under 50 square tiles

you want to make a wall of 6 items then move the 6th from the area you need to the area you want to push them to, you are protected by standing on the tiles, so you need to drop to the place the mosquito leaves, and gradually move forward pushing them out
you need 5 tiles wide, the 6th is the extra protection so you will never have one tile available to them to move backward to at any moment
also is the safest to start off one edge, and pushing out 2 sides (2 sides act as a border) 90 degree or a full line of 5 wide between top and bottom, left and right connecting the border edges with items between them

ideally you gather the materials to block and find the target L shape border edge where you want to push them and you can even make the wall exept one tile, if you counted how many of them are
the L shape border has to be at least 2-3 wide both sides, best is to make a square, uses less walls
so if you got 9 mosquitoes, you need 7 walls to block them and a corner of 3x3 biome border, for 4 mosquitoes you need 5 walls and a corner of 2x2 border, etc.
so you jut basically put down 5 items, like 5x10, then drop 1 more when they move out, then take the first item on the left 5 away, out on the right 5 away, same for longitude and latitude
once you pushed them into sides, with the items, replace the item with stakes and hit with stone (or swap item with adobe and smash it, but its temporary solution) then put on the stone block or half block or 2 adobe (later plaster it or plant mango or branch trees around it so it blocks after the adobe is decayed)

once you are experienced enough, you can do it much faster with rabbit bones, which are temporary, but if you are fast enough, you already pushed the mosquitoes out before it decays, also you dont have to clean up afterwards, while with firewood is a chance that people take it or stack it up, or milkweed seeds need to be planted or burned. but for first time milkweed seed methode is safer as they wont decay and its ok to have them on that jungle, later people can plant it for ropes
needles are also safe, and cost nothing , if you got multiple, people can leave them in savanah or wherever they made clothes

example:
7TnqYVs.png
darker green is jungle, you got 5 mosquitoes
you start on one corner, generally where the city is, this case top left, put items on each tile, purple arrows, once you fill 6x6 they cannot go to first line on top left, then move items to pink arrows, pushing them down
once you filled between the edges of the jungle, they act as a wall so they can only go downward
when they are at bottom, you place down walls, black box this case
the shape is totally random each case
i just put 2 examples to prove. this case you would be most beneficial pushing them to the tiny jungle on bottom right
but lets say you choose to wall them off south
while isnt directly connected, they can still skip trough the tiny jungle and come back, so you need 1 extra block to block off right side straight, and top right edge, cause its less than 5 away
top right also a tiny jungle, but it has more than 5 grass tiles so they will never go there
also notice that you dont have to block all around them, the grassland acts as a wall so you only block them backward to jungle tiles
also a more effective way would be here to make an L shape wall on the bottom left, 6 walls would block 2x3 area

ideal jungle has a pond right next to it and you can upgrade it to engine/newcommen
ideally has no mosquitoes, but if there are 2-4, you need to cut off trees ( best to keep the rubber and palm trees on edges, which dont cover the view),push them out, wall them, make a cistern, make boards to signal farm size and then plant a farm

also what people dont understand generally: its safe to make a pen on a jungle, animals cannot exit a pen, also cannot enter a pen
if you got no design flaws, and you got no mosquitoes at the moment of finishing the pen, inside, then they wont be able to enter it
if there are many of them, you just fill the designated pen interior with items, wall it around, make the bushes and blocking corners
also its 2 in 1 step, you already pushed them out with pen, pen is warmer, and can be extended to wall them off even more, also  this mosquito walls  are ideal sheep pen walls too, they block mosquito getting in, block sheep getting out, you can have the oven on jungle
then you push them even more with sheep bones which dont decay and ideal to dump them on such a place

Last edited by pein (2019-02-09 12:14:12)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-02-09 15:04:38

BlueDiamondAvatar

Sometime while I was sleeping last night it suddenly occurred to me... I should have given pein a shout out for teaching me most of this.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#4 2019-02-09 15:47:27

Grim_Arbiter

pein wrote:

also what people dont understand generally: its safe to make a pen on a jungle, animals cannot exit a pen, also cannot enter a pen
if you got no design flaws, and you got no mosquitoes at the moment of finishing the pen, inside, then they wont be able to enter it
if there are many of them, you just fill the designated pen interior with items, wall it around, make the bushes and blocking corners
also its 2 in 1 step, you already pushed them out with pen, pen is warmer, and can be extended to wall them off even more, also  this mosquito walls  are ideal sheep pen walls too, they block mosquito getting in, block sheep getting out, you can have the oven on jungle
then you push them even more with sheep bones which dont decay and ideal to dump them on such a place

This paragraph makes me want a village in the jungle that is actually just one big pen to keep the mosquitos out.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2019-02-10 11:03:17

pein

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
pein wrote:

This paragraph makes me want a village in the jungle that is actually just one big pen to keep the mosquitos out.

well to be fair, pen type entrances are known to us, and i rarely see them used for animal blocking from outside, which is a shame
kinda dangerous to lure bears on people, some peopel do for pop reduction , but they kill tons of people in process, its a long project to make rooms, so i rarely do it, others do it on all the wrong places
jungles currently are perfect for rooms, as long as its big room, can have a lot of purposes
most of time people are so afraid of mosquitoes they miss out on the heat bonus
i seen one single mosquito bite same people 3-4 times

my problem is if you dont do it right away then others cant, and the whole place gets weird soon
if you do it early people can use the jungle and that increases longevity of the lineage, then the nice things motivate people to come back

depending on size and number f mosquitoes it takes 30 to 90 minutes or more to block all out
living in a house in a jungle could be optimal only if the jungle is huge, then is easier to build a room than pushing all out
and genrally stone is low as jungles tend to have more swamp around and less desert/badlands

bluediamond, the more people know the better, alone i dont really wanna do it, as it takes a lot of time, especially if i dont even get back, i wont start doing it in a big jungle, if people learn to do it and to cooperate, it can be done in minutes
we did i nsancal in like 30 min together and that was a huge jungle
generally helps me to see others explaining it, then i can polish mine too

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-02-10 13:45:49

Spoonwood

Thank you for this post BlueDiamond and to Pein for his/her response (though I find Pein a bit hard to read in some spots)!  I've started a jungle settlement on a low population server recently, and no doubt I'll re-read this.  Also, it made me think of making a sheep or cow pen with planted maples or poplars, which seems to me like getting two projects in progress at once!  At least without any griefers or tree haters.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#7 2019-02-10 14:23:06

BlueDiamondAvatar

Ooooh, I like that Spoonwood.

I'm currently building a house on One City Server, in a place others were avoiding because three mosquitoes had been concentrated into a small area of plains biome by the building of the massive library.  I may end up planting some Maples around the 'quitos when I finally pin them to a single tile each.  That seems more aesthetically pleasing  than many of the other options.

(And yes, the mosquitoes were hovering consistently in the top left corner of the biome, just like we'd expect.)

And pein, it is a very useful and unique skill, nice to have since I'm terrible at smithing.  Thanks for sharing all your insights so freely. Mosquito herding can be tedious, but it reminds me a bit of solving a complicated puzzle - and it's different every time.

--Blue Diamond

#8 2019-02-10 16:20:16

Starknight_One

Spoonwood wrote:

Thank you for this post BlueDiamond and to Pein for his/her response (though I find Pein a bit hard to read in some spots)!  I've started a jungle settlement on a low population server recently, and no doubt I'll re-read this.  Also, it made me think of making a sheep or cow pen with planted maples or poplars, which seems to me like getting two projects in progress at once!  At least without any griefers or tree haters.

Heh. Earlier theorycrafting on a small outpost. It could easily be expanded to a larger area. Of course, it's going to take several lives to get the trees grown. smile

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

I'm currently building a house on One City Server, in a place others were avoiding because three mosquitoes had been concentrated into a small area of plains biome by the building of the massive library.  I may end up planting some Maples around the 'quitos when I finally pin them to a single tile each.  That seems more aesthetically pleasing  than many of the other options.

(And yes, the mosquitoes were hovering consistently in the top left corner of the biome, just like we'd expect.)

And pein, it is a very useful and unique skill, nice to have since I'm terrible at smithing.  Thanks for sharing all your insights so freely. Mosquito herding can be tedious, but it reminds me a bit of solving a complicated puzzle - and it's different every time.

It's definitely a good thing to know about. Thanks to both of you for sharing!

#9 2019-02-10 21:01:13

Spoonwood

BlueDiamondAvatar wrote:

What is One City Server?  Is that server12?

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-02-12 20:33:57

Spoonwood

A few things I've picked up when actually attempting this which didn't get said before or I missed.

1. Trees sometimes stack.  A rubber tree runs high, but only so high.  So, it there exist two or three trees above the rubber tree, those probably should get cut to be able to see any mosquitoes above them.  I think only two need to get cut to see everything, so if you have a stack of three rubber trees, the top two can get cut, leaving the third tree at the bottom.  The same idea applies to other trees, but I think it's only one or two trees above non-rubber jungle type trees.

2. I occasionally will eat a mushroom during a game these days.  At first I thought eating mushrooms near mosquitoes a bad idea.  But, once I had a bunch of stuff on the ground to protect me I decided to eat one.  It turned out that the mosquitoes became even more visible using the zoom mod when high! I can't say that's always the case.  But, I think my experience might not be an exception.

3. I don't know if it's true, but for some reason I think that once mosquitoes can't expand past a certain area, it's easiest to move them one at a time to the desired area.  You can stand next to an item, pick it up, then once the swarm moves block them from where they just moved.

4. Sometimes the bugs get buggy.  They will simply stop moving when there exists a path less than 6 tiles.  However, if you walk away from them and then come back, they might move then.

5. I don't know if it's true, but bugs have seemed more likely to move a smaller number of tiles than a larger number of tiles.  Even if that's not true, once they can't move from some area, if you move them say 2 tiles instead of 6, that makes more likely you can throw an item back down before they move.

6.  Finally, if you see them moving towards an area where you want to place an item down, but can't, then move.  They probably won't get there in time once you can see them coming quickly enough.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-02-12 22:05:35

BlueDiamondAvatar

Glad to hear you are trying out the techniques, Spoonwood.

Hmm, getting high makes it easy to see mosquitos.  I had not thought of that.  But it fits into my ideas of making a mosquito cult, where the priests are mosquito herders.  "This is the sacred wall, no one shall go beyond the sacred wall except the high priests of the mosquito."  "We will commune with the mosquitos by eating this sacred mushroom."

As pein pointed out in his response.."mosquitoes can move only straight in any random directions so basically any of 8 tiles around them"  So they are most likely to only move one tile at a time.  But if anything is occupying that tile (a tree, or even another biome) the code checks if there is an open spot in the correct biome one tile further, for up to five tiles.

The net result is what you mentioned in point 5 - the mosquitos only make small moves.

If you are travelling through cleared jungle (unlikely, unless someone has clear cut it), and can spot them ahead of time, you can dodge the mosquitos by staying a few tiles away from them.

And I've already planted maples in my "backyard" on One City Server.  OCS is a private server run by Greep.  Here's the forum post with the details about how to connect.  There's a lot more info on the One City Server discord, if you are interested.

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4868

--Blue Diamond

#12 2019-02-13 06:07:11

pein

would give different sense to the word High Priest big_smile

well thats technically 9 tiles as they are on a middle so 9x9 is fair deal, but they do move 1 at a time as long as they arent blocked
this can be used to dispatch them faster by filling tiles but leaving the furthest straight tile open (did thsi for sheep, creating a 4 tile 1 open 4 tile 1 open line from their location to pen then just luring them back, which means they move 1 each 3 seconds, which is 4 times faster when they hop over 4 items), also its generally a better idea to create a path like the roo mwhere you close them, and everything but one line filled, so then you just herd them at that line (lets say top left and a diagonal line)
they do not care to move less, they just care about direction, is anything open top ? go top, is anything open left? go left, they do not seem to repeat a pattern back and forth, rather move every time to a new tile, but as i said, the top and left comes first so they tend to go top once they blocked so eventually they end up top left, with horses it seemed they go in circles inside a biome
they cant be same place as other mosquitoes so having two near each other, sometimes turns backward one, that doesnt really affect them, maybe the middle one stays on middle more often

and yes thats why you fill 6 lines, then move the 6th to the 0 position, as there is no risk at any point to have less then 5 items wide blocked area, and as you stand on items, you cant get bit. they are above the tile which looks like they actually are  a tile above which can be confusing at first

i did mention, you always cut trees on middle, but keep the ones on sides, you want to recover a lot of free space and for that, you need the middle of the jungle, around 6 rubber trees max are enough, i never seen others get 6 rubber at a time, they cant do it more than twice per lifetime realistically, so more than 6 trees arent needed, but they do need to be close to each other so people can stab them for latex
this means you need 3 palm trees as they give 2 bowl each for a period of time, well you can leave a few more but as i said its unrealistic than anyone gets more than 6 per 30 min

one at a time works but simply ignoring mosquitoes is better, why you herd one, other can go to already cleared area and you waste mroe tiem than saving, so you just fill up the space so none of them can go back,  once you got the first 5x5 and expand with 1 layer, you know its safe, so you go 6x6, now if you start top left, then you can move 1 layer from left to right, you get a column of 1 free, 6 full, just make sure all horizontal and vertical tiles are safe, also all diagonals. slowly you will end up with an L shape wall, once you reach the biome edge, you will be able to have a line of 5 items between sides, than you just move top side to bottom
you can completely ignore mosquitoes in this process, they ignore you but they cant ignore the rule of 5 so they wont be able to move trough that 5 items so they will go opposite direction

yes they are at the A tile then they stop and mvoe to B tile, once they decided, you cannot put the item down, but you wont get bit until they actually arrive, same goes for other animals, like snakes, for bear is faster so you dont have that much time, safest to wait till they move, they move all together, then move, i use that technique when running trough biomes with animals, stop and wait until animals move standing on item, then once they start moving, they wont move for a second, you got a free way passing right next to them
this can be used when someone chases you with a weapon, you move between 2 mosquiotes and got some advantage, the time they follow and try to run trough , the animals might move again disarming him

#13 2019-02-13 18:20:02

BlueDiamondAvatar

Heh, LOL for the High Preist joke.  smile

Ok, three palm trees, six rubber trees is what we need to leave behind, preferably on the sides of the jungle rather than the middle Good to know.

--Blue Diamond

#14 2019-02-14 18:48:46

Peremptive

I recently made a village almost entirely in jungle. I was lucky because there was a relatively large open area so I didn't need an ax right away. Try to establish yourself close to the edge of the jungle, so you can slowly fill it out from one end. In the beginning I used soil to cover a large part of land. Later I just used milkweed seeds. Milkweed is ideal to completely cover the jungle since you can generate as many seeds as you want very easily and they don't decay. I  just completely filled the jungle with seeds, 10 tiles deep. Now I plan to plant more milkweed on the edges, so that I can fill out all the jungle and force them on some corner. You can then use all those ropes you will be farming to make pine walls and secure them out of your camp.

#15 2019-02-15 12:48:42

stew

Will real walls block off moskitos from passing, or do you need 5 layers of real wall too?

#16 2019-02-15 14:09:25

CrazyEddie

Anything that blocks movement, including walls, will block animal movement as well, including mosquitoes. Only a single tile is needed to block movement through that tile.

Adobe oven bases and half bell tower bases block movement, are cheap to create, and are difficult to move on accident, which is why you so often see sheep pens made out of them.

The onetech.info entry for an item will show whether or not it blocks movement. See for example https://onetech.info/814-Half-Bell-Tower-Base which does and https://onetech.info/812-Stone-Block which does not.

Any item at all will prevent an animal from stopping on a tile, but will not block the animal from moving through it, which is why you need a five-tile-deep "wall" to effectively block animal movement using non-movement-blocking items.

Board footer