One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-06 22:05:05

Léonard

Snow griefing.

I have already made a post about this once.
It was about snowmen griefing.

Here's the important parts:

Léonard wrote:

From this I'd like to point out that I find the whole snow thing extremely dumb and just flat out broken.
First off, you can kill with snow.
You would argue that only people who know what they're doing use snowballs to kill people but this is precisely the problem.
From all the time I've been playing, I have only personally seen people snowballing twice and they were both griefers.
[...]
Also snowbanks are infinite. What?
Making snowmen base is so cheap, what kind of evil person would make those impossible to remove without spending a bunch of resources and time to complete it first and then wait for it to melt and take it appart?
It's almost as if they were designed for griefers (snowballs included).

The post was done after I encountered a griefer who was building snowmen for the first time.
To put things into perspective, I feel a screenshot is in order:
zsEi.jpg
Yup, that really happened..
I think for the snowmen part the screenshot should be self explanatory.

As for the snowballs part, make that three griefers encountered.
Also, something important to mention is that when I first complained about snowballs, I didn't even know how people killed with them yet.
I had simply assumed that you just keep people from eating until they starve eventually using the snowballs.
But today I learned. Today I got killed by snowballs for the first time ever.

but if a player is hit by enough snowballs in quick succession, they will die

Today I was born in a city located completely within a desert and with a snow biome right next to it.
A griefer was born in that city. That's it. The story ends there.
I didn't know you could be completely killed on the spot just with snowballs (rather than slow starvation).
This guy stood on a bank, I noticed he was trying to starve some babies and decided I would chase him (not kill him, that's not possible with the current way PVP works).
Somehow, while I was moving towards him, my hud turned bloody all of the sudden, yet I could sill do anything, as in eating, walking, even carrying objects.
I didn't even see him snowball me a SINGLE time and you're telling me this guy had enough time to hit me so much he killed me on the spot WHILE I was moving?
This is ridiculous. Pure nonsense.
zsEX.png
This is me.
zsEZ.png
This is him. Notice how he killed both his mom and an uncle in the same way by the way.
And who knows how many other babies he starved before I took notice.
He is just 11 and we know he already killed three maybe even more people without any difficulty.
I don't know what prompted him to starve to death, but I must assume after I was dead he didn't encounter much resistance.
What I think most likely happened is he was simply done with his daily griefing session and decided to quit.
His last words particularly makes me think he successfully killed all the females before dying (as there weren't many to begin with).
This is awful. Please remove the snow.

There are so many things wrong with this.
-Snowbanks are infinite.
So if you are an Eve and you happen to build your camp right next to a snow biome, you better expect it will become griefing-central in no time.
-I didn't even notice myself I was being snowballed before I died.
Now maybe there was a bug, maybe this was an exploit but I swear all I saw was the bloody hud (while I was running on top of that) before promptly dying.
Can you even "heal" someone who is dying of "snowballs"?
Because with knives or arrow, you can actually be healed.
The fact that this is impossible to cure (I can't find anything on the wiki about this) and that people can barely even notice it makes it, you guessed it, the perfect tool for griefers.
I mean how is it not? There are no repercussion to killing someone with it, and you can potentially kill ENTIRE lineages with it (as shown by my example).

Why is this in the game at all?
I mean it, really.
I hope Jason reads this and replies to me with an actual argument for why such a griefable thing is in the game.

If you want to argue that you can in real life actually kill people using just snowballs, why not do the same with rocks?
Why not allow griefers to use rock piles and literally stone people to death while we're at it?
I mean it would be much more effective than snow, I'll tell you that.
And it would even be more balanced because with rocks you can actually run out of ammo (no infinite snow banks here, just a rock pile).
Can you come up with a reasonable argument as to why you wouldn't be able to stone people to death but you can kill people using just snowballs?
If you say that you can't implement stoning people because it would be too griefable, then why is snowball death in the game at all? It's even more griefable than stones could ever be because you have infinite ammo for it.

I really hope Jason reads this and replies to it.

#2 2019-02-06 22:09:44

Bob 101

Re: Snow griefing.

Yeah I agree. I can start murdering as a kid rather then waiting to grow up to wield knives and bows.

I do admit snowballs heavily favor griefing.

#3 2019-02-06 22:34:17

Solbusaur

Yes, yes and yes. Fuck snow

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#4 2019-02-07 00:48:02

Taz

Léonard wrote:

This is awful. Please remove the snow[balls].

Yup.  Agreed 100%.

Last edited by Taz (2019-02-07 00:49:08)

#5 2019-02-11 21:33:05

Daffex

Still agree.

I hadn't been killed by snowballs until today thankfully..

Then about 5 times in a row, i have been killed. by snowballs.

There isn't even a defense against it, with knives, you zig zag, with bows and arrows keep moving...

Starvation keep a stash!

But SNOWBALLS?!

I mean, you only die from the cold with frostbite or pneumonia, but all it is, is a snowball fight. Deadly.

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#6 2019-02-12 00:04:57

pein

i wanted to starve my twins
someone picked one up, so i snowballed her
then one twin, she died, other quit, a guy run into screen, i killed him too
ten other guy snapped me once, he went down too
and a 12 year old girl who started bitching about it
tarr town, had a jungle above a desert with snow bank under the pen, i think was called NIX

i mean i like the fact that you need to knwo about it, and the skill difference makes it easy to kill with it and still avoidable
not deadly at first but can be stacked, and leaves no trace, honestly i even like the disarming function
they are godsent feature, as some people like shit talking, cursing and framing and this is a way to make them gone with no trace

if you are good with bow, you can hit people with snowballs too
not that hard, the defense is jsut run away from it running in random directions,  depending on your food bar you need to be hit 1 to 5 times, dodging 1-2 times, not that hard, so it cant be deadly if you start moving after first and eat
they can carry a few without getting too cold , and you got to eat once and you can even be hit after so not that hard to survive it
maybe we would need some limit of 10 snowballs per bank regenerating in one hour

partial snowmen blocking is quite bad at times, as its hard to remove them, so they are just free walls, on desert, with a 7x7 size, they arent noticeable cold in middle, so they are quite free pens, with a bit of extra food you can build them very fast

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-02-12 01:03:54

w0wma

a kid was snowballing people in my last life (i was dione bond.) their name was ty bond, and they killed quite a few people. plus i think that trudy bond might've joined in with them.

p.s sorry if this was illiterate.

Last edited by w0wma (2019-02-12 01:04:19)

#8 2019-02-12 06:41:56

WalrusesConquer

This kid was snowballing. He watched three kids die, I asked him to stop. He said "no fu" and proceeded to spam attack me with them. I took matters into my own hands and stabbed him. He runs up to his mom and screams murder. And they believe him! Then this lady chased me with a knife saying I pucked the seedrow.

1st of all: I was picking them before you. I left a row FOR THAT REASON. I didn't mind because we had loads of seeds and it was only one carrot.

TL;DR
I GOT KILLED/CURSED FOR STABBING A KID WHO WAS KILLING BABIES.

Can we stop assuming kids are innocent? If the adult is not going "hahaha noob" maybe there was a good reason?

Was a Bond aswell.
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3343280

Last edited by WalrusesConquer (2019-02-12 06:43:11)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#9 2019-02-12 07:12:14

Tarr
Banned

WalrusesConquer wrote:

This kid was snowballing. He watched three kids die, I asked him to stop. He said "no fu" and proceeded to spam attack me with them. I took matters into my own hands and stabbed him. He runs up to his mom and screams murder. And they believe him! Then this lady chased me with a knife saying I pucked the seedrow.

1st of all: I was picking them before you. I left a row FOR THAT REASON. I didn't mind because we had loads of seeds and it was only one carrot.

TL;DR
I GOT KILLED/CURSED FOR STABBING A KID WHO WAS KILLING BABIES.

Can we stop assuming kids are innocent? If the adult is not going "hahaha noob" maybe there was a good reason?

Was a Bond aswell.
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3343280

That's the problem if you stab a griefer instead of just snowballing them. People see someones been stabbed and instead of asking why they either heal them instantly or go after the attacker. You risk having a "hero" come along and stab you because they can't be half assed to ask what's going on but instead just attack anyone with a bloody weapon.

On the flip side I do want to see snowballs get nerfed since twin and regular griefers are starting to pick up on the practice. Since it's not visible (no murder cooldown or murder grave) happens quickly (someone pelted with snowballs dies in seconds) and comes from an unlimited source snowballs as a murder mechanic are everything we've moved away from originally. I'd rather see the easy asshat removing tool be removed (snowballs) rather than noobs being cleared out en mass by someone with a BP + mound of snow.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-02-12 10:10:17

pein

poor kid, his life ended so early
all he wanted is to to play snowballing and snowman building, and hunting for wild animals
how dare you to kill him

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-02-12 23:53:39

Grim_Arbiter

Tarr wrote:

That's the problem if you stab a griefer instead of just snowballing them. People see someones been stabbed and instead of asking why they either heal them instantly or go after the attacker. You risk having a "hero" come along and stab you because they can't be half assed to ask what's going on but instead just attack anyone with a bloody weapon.

On the flip side I do want to see snowballs get nerfed since twin and regular griefers are starting to pick up on the practice. Since it's not visible (no murder cooldown or murder grave) happens quickly (someone pelted with snowballs dies in seconds) and comes from an unlimited source snowballs as a murder mechanic are everything we've moved away from originally. I'd rather see the easy asshat removing tool be removed (snowballs) rather than noobs being cleared out en mass by someone with a BP + mound of snow.

See I must just be lucky, but every time I stab a greifer I never get counter stabbed. Sometimes it's in the dead center of town with everyone there. I guess people just recognize me from working or helping and know who not to stab. If anything they feed me and kill my yum bonus.

As for snowballs I've never been consecutively pelted. They can't hit you if you're moving right?

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#12 2019-02-13 06:40:43

WalrusesConquer

I blame my mom. Our childhood was spent happily throwing snowballs at each other (allowing breaks for food) then mom got super competitive and killed my uncle, grandma and sister. Traumatised.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#13 2019-02-13 16:51:26

pein

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
Tarr wrote:

See I must just be lucky, but every time I stab a greifer I never get counter stabbed. Sometimes it's in the dead center of town with everyone there. I guess people just recognize me from working or helping and know who not to stab. If anything they feed me and kill my yum bonus.

As for snowballs I've never been consecutively pelted. They can't hit you if you're moving right?

its same as arrows, you need to time it well, chances are if you are further from snow bank they cannot kill you
i can but thats me and i got the skillz, but generally if you move randomly and away from the place, got clothes and food they cannot kill you
if you standing still, they can hit you 3-4 times, on an emptier stomach thats deadly
they can carry 7 max and hitting an adult 5 times while moving its a seriously hard task

#14 2019-02-13 19:00:09

artio

Yeah, I pretty much kill anyone who is abusing snowballs. it's really OP and underestimated.

Board footer