One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-05 05:28:51

Portager

I know storage is a problem...but...

Look, I know storage is an ongoing problem in this game, but some of the camps that I have been born into as of late are downright dirty pigsties. There are plates, materials, tools, and graves strewn all over the place and any attempt to clean things up is quickly outdone by people throwing more trash into the newly organized areas. Has anyone come up with any solutions for this problem? Do signs work? Does having a leader with a strong voice help? What do you do to deal with this problem? If a place is trashed, does it just make sense to fill up a cart with valuables and leave town?

#2 2019-02-05 05:36:08

InSpace

Re: I know storage is a problem...but...

Learn to clean a camp. Take a cart full of baskets and fill it up with garbage like skeletons, worms, eggs, random rocks or plants etc and dump it a bit out of town, repeat. Bring things that belong to a certain area, like smithing stuff to the smithing area, gather up wood, stack up rocks and stack up baskets not in use.

#3 2019-02-05 08:19:21

pein

its easier to start from scratch than fixing up stuff, generally

depends on population, amount of pros and noobs, age (older noobs are harder to get rid of), level of civilization
you need a veteran for each 5 people at least to archive anything with communication or enforce them to obey
some rp-ers are listening to older players, and most kids listen to their mother

as eve, make a kiln, make an oven (or someone will put it randomly)
don't choose spots with animals, or get rid of them
or just settle for an ok spot they can ruin, next to a good spot
explain your kids what to do, how to plant the berries

generally you need smart people to do smart setups, and to keep them, you better focus on tech, if the spot is good and you got iron, branches, most of veterans don't mind a bit of cleanup

now, later stages is worse, cause people keep too many girls and they don't teach anything just camp the berry fields
so rather than arguing and asking them, just take care of population
max 2-3 girls enough, don't keep more
if you do, tell them to keep one each
snowballs are good for pop control
there are some seriously idiot people who make newcommen everywhere (glad its fixed now), or extend berries infinitely when the old bushes die out, or carrot planters, grave diggers, and road makers
if they don't listen at first, and even talk back, just snowball them, or find somebody who feels the same way and kill them

if its already later stage, you might move to a corner, make a new city, outpost, or just extension on a jungle
you can preplan a farm, put cistern, or find a jungle with a pond and make engine well

most things are "set it and forget it"
so plan ahead, place in optimal positions, that already helps with order
kilns, oven, pen and berry field placement is important
berries cant be moved, so better focus on that one, let others smith (after you got axe, shovel)

my best non aggressive strategy is to feed all berries to sheep, so the berry monger noobs starve, then i got time to fix the camp
lot of people get bears for exact same reason, but that is way too risky

signs might work but only if the place has composting and stable milwkeed and sapling farm which is a trap already
and you waste half a life with it
notes arent too reliable either
smart moms who explain kids what to do are best, and not too many of them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-02-05 16:35:39

DestinyCall

Depends on how much time/effort you want to invest in organization.   It does help if you use board flooring and signage to define spaces.   But over time, things will still get scattered and trashy.   There are not enough ways to clean up and everyone is in a hurry to finish what they are working on be fore they die or have another baby.   It helps to move "trash/clutter" like eggs, worms, pork, and bones away from town.   Many people think about moving skeletons, but there are many infrequently used items that take up space in town.   If you move them out, they usually stay out.

If you enjoy organizing, other people will benefit.  But don't expect everyone to understand or follow your plan.    Do what you can to make the town better, but try not to freak out if it gets messy again.

#5 2019-02-05 17:11:48

CrazyEddie

DestinyCall wrote:

If you enjoy organizing, other people will benefit.  But don't expect everyone to understand or follow your plan.    Do what you can to make the town better, but try not to freak out if it gets messy again.

quoted for truth

Board footer