One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-01 20:59:08

fragilityh14

What do babies want from me?

A ton of my babies suicide, regardless of the situation. I get when i'm in the woods and they want to be in a civ, but also, I'm often from a civ and i'm just gathering.

Are they trying to get back to specific families?

Or trying to become Eves? cause that's kind of a dick move, getting a lineage ban everywhere to become Eve. It dilutes the ability of all of the other families to get big and then none of us who play the game we get are ever made Eve.

So, for anyone who regularly uses the /die feature....when and why?

I really can understand the wanting to be in a civ, but so much of the time i'm from a civ and they get the lineage ban before they'd even know that.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#2 2019-02-01 21:19:06

mrbah

Re: What do babies want from me?

a valid reason is to try to get into a line that is about to die out, if they don't have any more girls.
and the /die feature costs the mother basically nothing, except space to put the bones.

#3 2019-02-01 22:17:11

fragilityh14

I don't understand how any of these dynasties are ever successful, because no one will stay with me when i'm in the wild at all.

Do you thin people tolerate primitive situations if the mom is an eve? This is why family lines die out, cause they never spread. So the people hitting /die any time they're not in a perfect situation is part of why lines die. And also presumably there are more Eves than there should be, because the feature is so heavily used.

in my last game the Stone family was a weird apocalypse cult, so i ran off cause i expected bad stuff to go down (apparently it didnt) and all of my babies suicided sad

and it does cost the mother something, then game often only has like 150 players at a time, it's not like there's an infinite amount of babies to be born.

Listen to your mom!

#4 2019-02-02 00:09:32

dangergirl713

Generally the large dynasties are just pros that /die when they don't spawn in their civs. They coordinate through discord. Players might be just slash dying because they think you're a noob because you haven't named yourself or have created a civ in a cold area (any area that is not desert or jungle or near water/soil).

#5 2019-02-02 01:10:26

antking:]#

I have also have this happen, but the worst if their is a taunting baby, when their is a noob chasing after their baby, like its the end of the world and then the baby stopes to be fed and then continues running! or when they run, come back and run again! Its like they are trying to be annoying! and waste PP (pip points).

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#6 2019-02-02 04:38:42

apereason

Yes. Always make sure you have a name and a good eve location.

#7 2019-02-02 05:46:02

Grim_Arbiter

Anyone can slash die whenever they want and I don't mind it, but if you jump out of my arms and run to die..

I will find you chase you and say very mean things to you for the 30 seconds you are alive.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#8 2019-02-02 06:20:27

Nepumuk

Different people like to play in different civs. Many like late civs, I like early civs, some only like playing Eve etc. These people will always suicide when they don't get the (type of) civ they want.

For me when I do find a civ that fits (so for me super early civ) I check a whole number of factors and then decide whether to stay - does Eve have a last name? Does she know what she's doing? Does the camp have water, heat, grassland etc? Are people nice enough or are they all pricks? Are we managing our recources well? Basically, does this place have a future? You can usually see these things at a quick glance.

I tend to go down a checklist and only stay if most my requirements are fulfilled. That might sound selfish but it only makes sure that I play in a place that I actually want to play in and where I am willing to give my everything to the cause.  Nobody is forced to stay anywhere and /die is not a dick move. Expecting players to stay in a place they don't actually enjoy playing in is the bigger dick move imo.

Last edited by Nepumuk (2019-02-02 06:24:38)

I am Eve Speed.

#9 2019-02-02 07:51:17

elemental_slim

dangergirl713 wrote:

Generally the large dynasties are just pros that /die when they don't spawn in their civs. They coordinate through discord. Players might be just slash dying because they think you're a noob because you haven't named yourself or have created a civ in a cold area (any area that is not desert or jungle or near water/soil).

Do people really coordinate on a mass scale though, through discord?

Anyways, it is just as everyone else seems to be saying. Perhaps, the baby players are just looking for immediate proof of what they want?

Plus, as babies it is incredibly difficult to communicate. They might be thinking they are saving you time and resources by just dying. . .

#10 2019-02-02 07:53:00

fragilityh14

why are you all so obsessed with names?

You can search your character by your email address on the lineage server.

I mean, i always name kids, but why is it such a huge deal to people?

Also, i've said this like, a billion times, but there is no inherent reason any of these dynasties have to die, I'm pretty damn confident if people just actually played these games civilization would spread out and long term survive and it would just be a matter of if you were a farm family or city family etc. Because the reason family lines can't spread is that all the babies suicide if they see anyone opening up new land.

Listen to your mom!

#11 2019-02-02 16:14:30

DestinyCall

fragilityh14 wrote:

I mean, i always name kids, but why is it such a huge deal to people?.

I name my children so they are easier to curse if they turn out to be a griefer.

fragilityh14 wrote:

Also, i've said this like, a billion times, but there is no inherent reason any of these dynasties have to die, I'm pretty damn confident if people just actually played these games civilization would spread out and long term survive and it would just be a matter of if you were a farm family or city family etc. Because the reason family lines can't spread is that all the babies suicide if they see anyone opening up new land.

With the new big server and larger minimum server population, larger stable towns are more viable.  One of the main reason that large towns would struggle to survive in the past was due to bottlenecks created by low population during off-peak hours.  A dedicated group could keep a town going by manipulating birthing mechanics, but left to random chance, many old lineages eventually will eventually die out from lack of females during low server population events.   It is just a numbers game and luck will run out.  This situation is not improved by Eves being more spread out across the map.   If anything, too many competing Eves during low-pop times would make the problem worse.    It can be improved by using the bell tower or apocalypse tower to call multiple lineages to the same town.   This doesn't necessarily save all lines, but the town as a whole will grow and survive longer.

The new larger server helps reduce population bottlenecks and should allow successful towns to survive off peak hours without babysitting more reliably.  Two or three (or more) separate lines in a single large town will also help keep the overall population high and stable by funneling more players to that town and allowing dedicated players to be reborn back in the same area immediately.   This is part of the reason why "Quad Eve Towns" can be quite successful ... if they survive the initial food crisis periods and reach a stable population point.   Since there will be three or four different lineages present from the beginning, it is easy for experienced players to stay in the town for multiple incarnations, so the population remains stable and the chance of the lineage dying due to a single bad generation is lower. 

In theory, there is no reason why a town should ever die, if there are at least a few people working on the important pieces and watching out for shortages.   In practice, towns die out all the time for stupid reasons that could have been prevented by timely action.  A higher population increases the odds that, at any given moment, the town will have at least one person doing what needs to be done to keep it going for another generation.     Sometimes that means building a sheep pen or planting carrots or growing more wheat.  Other times, it means hunting for milkweed seeds or iron or rabbits outside of town.   And other times, it means making more plates/bowls to replace the ones that have been lost or filled with difficult to remove substances.   Or it means constructing a new well so the farms can flourish again.   It usually doesn't take a large number of people to fix the immediate problems, but it does require at least one person to notice the problem and know how to fix it .. and then actually do it before the last fertile female is dead.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-02-02 17:10:33)

#12 2019-02-02 20:17:33

fragilityh14

the airplanes basically being teleporters I think can do a great deal to help with this problem.

Also, it's one of my favorite premises in the game so far- that you can land in a stone age village in your crude airplane and be stranded the rest of your life.

Listen to your mom!

#13 2019-02-02 21:29:25

Jk Howling

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Anyone can slash die whenever they want and I don't mind it, but if you jump out of my arms and run to die..

I will find you chase you and say very mean things to you for the 30 seconds you are alive.

I'm curious, were you the Eve I spawned to the other day that called me an asshole for running? I only ran because you weren't picking me up, my brother was shoving bananas in my face every 2 seconds, and I was born male when you clearly needed females [I followed up by attempting to get reborn as a female but there were too many eves from the update].

-Has ascended to better games-

#14 2019-02-03 00:10:08

Grim_Arbiter

Jk Howling wrote:
Grim_Arbiter wrote:

I'm curious, were you the Eve I spawned to the other day that called me an asshole for running? I only ran because you weren't picking me up, my brother was shoving bananas in my face every 2 seconds, and I was born male when you clearly needed females [I followed up by attempting to get reborn as a female but there were too many eves from the update].

Nooo I'm a better mom than that haha. And what I say has more sting usually. Could go like "well I guess I don't love you..(with frown) just like your parents IRL! (With devious)"

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-02-03 07:24:52)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#15 2019-02-03 08:56:59

pein

i hate noobs in charge, lot of people think that they are bigger in game so they run shit
like someone calling me noob for moving some soil to edge of desert
was like 5 tiles distance from the water
no need to put farms on top of water, around ponds, except when you are a lazy noob who thinks thats never gonna be upgraded
and heat has more benefits than distance to water, at least 10-15 tiles is not far for berries, you can plant whatever else near water, which leaves hardened rows

im tired to argue, i just die when people already misplaced things, just too much time to fix it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2019-02-03 18:20:20

fragilityh14

hmmmm. I'm not really obsessive about optimization. i do still generally prioritize proximity to berries when starting my first little camp, instead of temp, though then i stand in the desert to try to have BBs.

I for sure understand about the food use, i just also don't find it particularly hard to generate a food surplus

So do you think if my farm was on desert or jungle i would get fewer suicides? I don't want to set up in a jungle if i don't have an ax, but desert is doable.

also I rarely yell at noobs [or, i your case, people i perceive as noobs who are actually far more experiened than me]. i feel bad the last time I did I was just trying to make backpacks and my shit kept going missing [you know how it is, everytime you come back somethings gone] and i had to make a new needle, then my 17 y/o daughter burnt the rabbit I had. i yelled at her and she quit, and then my family line ultimately died sad I was able to keep her kid alive but like so many the kid still didn't make it to adulthood. On the bright side that player learned to not burn rabbit.

Listen to your mom!

#17 2019-02-04 04:06:50

pein

optimization is everything
i had a life when i quit midlife, when i told they shouldn't build and plant mid desert as its too hot, need 4x more food , she said "i like to eat"
me and a guy starved next minute
when we born back we just quit on them again
third time i was a boy and she went old, despite the 100 babies they had, and the stacks of pies, they died out

its not hard to predict how much a camp will last: is there water? if no then wont, is there soil? no? then needs a fast pen and composting, there are harder and manageable maps, i stay there out of pity, or cause im on an eve hell so a farm is advancement, but i generally build smaller pens and just goof around

no use of babies if you cant feed them, it even annoys me, and most of us if you got multiple female babies, who cant even stay put and they already are spoiled with packs and clothes, i don't like to be a reserve girl, not like i couldn't do it, i just don't want to take care of noobs who poop kids left and right with no instruction
if you got no good spot, you shouldn't keep multiple babies, maybe one at a time
if you got no farm you shouldn't keep more than 2 girls, only if eve run and some animals

pro players with zoom mod, see everything, and they don't mind if you got no stuff made, but they do mind if everything full of bones, and the little things made arent optimized
noobs want advanced stuff and still wont survive
but mostly people just want to go around the lineage bans if a few families already running
you got more chance with first game of day people, they can be decent, if they quit on you, isn't your fault mostly

a farm next to water, on a warmer spot is bare minimum, and a kiln, pottery started
generally veterans aim for an axe during their lifetime and noobs will misplace farms anyway

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2019-02-04 05:14:14

Ferna

pein wrote:

i had a life when i quit midlife, when i told they shouldn't build and plant mid desert as its too hot, need 4x more food , she said "i like to eat"

Deserts were changed in v195, it's now only +50% food consumption in deep desert compared to Jungle or perfect desert edge.

Considering how much food you lose if newbies expand the village into cold patches (+270% food consumption) past the desert edge, you're probably much better off settling where she suggested compared to anywhere else now.

#19 2019-02-04 07:20:14

Nepumuk

You're never better off listening to somebody that just "likes to eat". Kinda missed the point there....

I am Eve Speed.

#20 2019-02-04 21:29:50

pein

Ferna wrote:
pein wrote:

Deserts were changed in v195, it's now only +50% food consumption in deep desert compared to Jungle or perfect desert edge.

Considering how much food you lose if newbies expand the village into cold patches (+270% food consumption) past the desert edge, you're probably much better off settling where she suggested compared to anywhere else now.

was back before, havent tested new deserts
that 50% is still a medium between normal biome so we should start making rose walls or cementeries or trees in middle of deserts, but small deserts are much better now

#21 2019-02-04 21:36:22

fragilityh14

hm. If I spawn a woman in a civ I don't want to live in for some reason i usually just grab a bowl and run off. I feel bad stealing any more than that, and a single bowl makes it massively easier to start a new camp. but of course my camps always die because BBs who know how to play won't stay.

it does also appear a lot of newer players don't know how to survive anywhere but an advanced civ, despite how easy staying alive on berries and cactuses etc is.

It does sound like people are somewhat more tolerant if their mom is an eve as opposed to not an eve and out in the wilds...i pretty much never spawn eve though cause i don't /die

Listen to your mom!

Board footer