One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-29 00:12:08

apereason

Tutorial area breakout?

I have escaped the tutorial area many times, the best speed I got out in was 12 minutes. Usually I run out of the tutorial area to other tutorial areas and mess with/help eves in the tutorial areas.

one time I was trying to break out of the tutorial and someone came in with an axe and shot me with a bow and arrow. Have any of you everbeen killed/helped in the tutorial area?

#2 2019-01-29 00:15:22

sigmen4020

Re: Tutorial area breakout?

Well, I haven't had my tutorial area invaded before. But I have broken into one tutorial area containing a living Eve. I tried to teach her, but I'm uncertain if any of it got through, since there was a language barrier between us.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#3 2019-01-29 00:27:50

CrazyEddie

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 408#p40408

I was working on the challenge when all of a sudden another character came running across my screen, carrying a wooden cart, dropping tools on the floor, bouncing around the area with words floating near her. I wasn't sure what was going on... I thought this was some kind of NPC that I had triggered by attempting the challenge three times or something like that. It wasn't until later when I started playing the game "for real" that I realized that wasn't an NPC. There are no NPCs. There is no single-player tutorial mode. I was live on the server and that was another player!

#4 2019-01-29 00:42:23

Starknight_One

Broken out many times, although I only rarely find anyone else alive.* Of course, it takes me about 25 minutes to do so (if not more). Part of that is me dithering over how to arrange the forge. I don't think I've done it the same way twice. lol

I've had someone break in to help me once. Sorry I wasn't a very good smith, but that's why I was in there practicing! tongue

I still hope to spawn back inside or near one as an Eve. Oh yes, it can happen. Fun times. I'd like to establish a family line that loots the ancient tombs, rescuing the Eves trapped inside. They could name themselves and adopt a child in the tribe, so their name might live on for a time. (Of course, now I'm curious as to how we got there - 1.7G tiles away from the bell that rang. Was my mother in Donkey Town? Was I in DT? What is my lifetime curse score, anyway?)

* Yes, I know that the tutorials to the north are newer, so I should go that way if I want to find living players. Of course, they've probably committed snakicide by that point...

#5 2019-01-29 00:53:55

Monolith_Rans

The very first time I did the tutorial, someone was o. The other side of the wall asking if I wanted help. That’s it for times when I actually chose to be in the tutorial, but I have been born there and spawned there while playing the regular game With a family of tutorial nomads.  It was cool because the adobe walls began to decay as we were crafting a knife for all of the snakes that would soon be free!

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#6 2019-01-29 01:03:27

CrazyEddie

Starknight_One wrote:

I still hope to spawn back inside or near one as an Eve. Oh yes, it can happen.

I think this can still be done, but only on a low-population server. If you do the tutorial and die of old age and then reconnect to the same server at a moment when that server has fewer than four fertile women, you will spawn as a fertile Eve on the spot where your tutorial Eve died.

I'd love for someone to confirm this, though. There's been enough changes in the past many months that I'm no longer certain it works.

#7 2019-01-29 02:15:24

apereason

I feel like I want to make a quick escape tutorial guide, that's the best way to see other people

#8 2019-01-29 02:22:53

austin_beale
Banned

apereason wrote:

I feel like I want to make a quick escape tutorial guide, that's the best way to see other people

make the guide !!

#9 2019-01-29 02:39:09

betame

Not to take away from the fun of doing it yourself, but

Tutorial Escape Speedrun in 8:17 ~ https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3373

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#10 2019-01-29 02:59:15

fragilityh14

why are you all playing the tutorial more than once?

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#11 2019-01-29 03:11:51

apereason

fragilityh14 wrote:

why are you all playing the tutorial more than once?

I found that trying to escape it really helped me learn how to forge. also it really helps to sit through and read some of the the things the tutorial says instead of running straight through (Learning to curse, Name yourself and others, etc.)

#12 2019-01-29 04:15:59

mrslax

I can run though the tutorial in about 10 minutes.  I like to find faster and better ways to do simple things. also I like to help new player get a hang of the game.  It is also fun to see all the different reactions from the people.

One time a new  I had a new tutorial spawn right on top of me will all my tools on the other side of the wall. what a shock that new play had and a good laugh. They had no idea what they where doing and watch me do everything.  they even help out once they see how things are done.

Jason should really put a water pond in the tutorial. could be walking out of there with a fully load cart every time!

#13 2019-01-29 08:25:01

pein

ok i just tried and around 9 to 11 min depending if you fuck up the fire
at 23-24 you can be free, starting at 13.5 that means 9:30, im like 17-18 when i arrive to the end location (on speedrun video it took 2 minutes running trough taking up clothes and making a hatchet), that means i did it in 5 minutes instead of 6:30 and i made 2 kilns which isn't really saving time

just a few notes:
there is an extra section and you can actually carry one firewood from a box
which might not be faster than making the fire tools and snare in first part but not sure, 4 min big fire is op, and there is enough milkweed for fire tools and snare, and extra thread anyway

there is an extra section with 2 doors, and a long corridor, which might take like 1-2 minutes, so previous speed runs are kinda different

not sure why i remembered extra time limit, there isn't one, maybe they changed that too

the space is so crowded i make errors cause of it, like no need all 3 flat rock as you make 3 iron only and is faster cooling if you faster heat it up
and i mess up my setup cause isn't really an optimal free space for 2 kilns

good habits like using 2 firebrands and making 2 kilns arent really saving time this way
and bad habits like keeping up a fire using kindling arent really optimal in normal situations

i reckon awbz might save like 30 sec on whole thing
and that speed run on youtube seems fake based on the character speed, and how it stutters and makes errors ( i do too and cost me a few seconds every time) , also not optimal path finding, like not making the shafts beforehand, and not swapping every time she could

and doesn't really matter, you wont have all those resources on an eve run right next to you, especially kindling and straight shafts

Last edited by pein (2019-01-29 10:05:14)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2019-01-30 09:09:54

Nepumuk

It's a fun challenge and it makes me uncomfortably aware of how much faster my smithing could be smile

I am Eve Speed.

#15 2019-01-30 20:25:21

Warumono

I don't remember if it was one I saw or one I played 'cause my memory sucks, but an Eve spawn had another player come up and say 'Do you need an exterminator?' ??? So confusing, but they cut down the tree, came inside, and killed all of the snakes. Then they just left, LOL. 'Your snake problem is taken care of, have a nice day!'

I died.

#16 2019-02-15 09:35:08

Michie

I guess I necro'd this thread a bit, but I've done a run myself in a time of 8:56.
Definitely can be optimized a lot (execution mostly, but maybe also routing?), but maybe the route will interest someone. Basically I steal kindling from the start, make a firebrand in the second section which allows me to skip making a firedrill all together.

My biggest problem is the lack of space for sure, like Pein mentioned earlier.

I also submitted the game to speedrun.com, so hopefully we'll get our own leaderboards soon! wink

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380908073

Edit: Right, I should mention I'm planning to do more runs in the future. Feel free to hit me up on discord (same name) if you're interested in doing some races, looking for advice, etc!

Last edited by Michie (2019-02-15 09:37:09)

#17 2019-02-15 09:47:44

pein

wasnt that long ago we revived it
thats actually smart but then thats what im talking about
you can bring fire or you can bring firewood, which wasnt possible at start
you can count time from the moment you enter the door, but then you can bring inside tools or fire? or do it from scratch?
i can still make tools between trees in a normal run, disregarding free space and the lack of branches, and most of people make kiln in the open so they have space, i calculate positions without the trees cause i know i will make axe anyway, so i dont think its too relevant in an eve run, kids who scavenge all that stuff can make an axe too

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2019-02-15 10:26:39

Portager

I think it would be hilarious to break out of the tutorial, and then roleplay as a tutorial AI with the noobs.

Who knows, we might actually be able to cut down on the berry muncher population using this method. Lol.

Last edited by Portager (2019-02-15 10:26:54)

#19 2019-02-15 13:00:19

Peremptive

I broke out once (just made ax and shovel) but it took me some time because I was learning smithing for the first time.

I went to the tutorial area above me and freed someone who had spawned as a girl. She said ty and took off her shirt to show me tits as thanks, lol, I don't even.

Is it still possible to Eve spawn in  the tutorial area??

Last edited by Peremptive (2019-02-15 13:00:39)

#20 2019-02-15 14:13:41

CrazyEddie

Peremptive wrote:

Well... like I said a month ago:

CrazyEddie wrote:

I think this can still be done, but only on a low-population server. If you do the tutorial and die of old age and then reconnect to the same server at a moment when that server has fewer than four fertile women, you will spawn as a fertile Eve on the spot where your tutorial Eve died.

I'd love for someone to confirm this, though. There's been enough changes in the past many months that I'm no longer certain it works.

Why not connect to a low-population server and see if you can do it, then report back with your findings?

#21 2019-02-15 14:43:15

Tarr
Banned

Peremptive wrote:

I broke out once (just made ax and shovel) but it took me some time because I was learning smithing for the first time.

I went to the tutorial area above me and freed someone who had spawned as a girl. She said ty and took off her shirt to show me tits as thanks, lol, I don't even.

Pretty sure it's possibly under either two different conditions.

1). Last person on a server flies to the tutorial and dies over there before server reset. Can't be a tutorial Eve for this to work so you need to be an actual town member who sneaks over and sets the Eve spiral at the tutorial. Not 100% if it works and certainly not sure if people would be spawning in/around fresh cells or the cells would be as they were before reset.

2). Old age death over by the tutorial on a low pop server. This will obviously work unlike the first option. If your goal is to make some sort of weird village up there you could do it this way however, the tutorial update resets daily so unless your goal is to make as much progress in one day and lose it you'll always be remaking your city.

fug it’s Tarr.

#22 2019-02-15 15:17:17

CrazyEddie

Tarr wrote:

1). Last person on a server flies to the tutorial and dies over there before server reset. Can't be a tutorial Eve for this to work so you need to be an actual town member who sneaks over and sets the Eve spiral at the tutorial. Not 100% if it works

I'm not sure anyone has correctly stated the Eve-spiral-recentering logic. I've read a couple of things but I'm not convinced they're correct (or even coherent), and I haven't checked the code.

and certainly not sure if people would be spawning in/around fresh cells or the cells would be as they were before reset.

I'm pretty sure the previously created cells would be exactly as they had been left (although any not seen in the previous seven days would be erased). However, new cells won't be created in that place any more, at least not for very long. The tutorial zone gets pushed further away from the map center as people are born, so as soon as someone is born (or Eve spawned? not sure) in the previous tutorial region, subsequent tutorials will be placed something like 50k further away from there.

2). Old age death over by the tutorial on a low pop server. This will obviously work unlike the first option. If your goal is to make some sort of weird village up there you could do it this way however, the tutorial update resets daily so unless your goal is to make as much progress in one day and lose it you'll always be remaking your city.

Not sure what you mean by "the tutorial update resets daily".

---

If the goal is not specifically to spawn as a fertile Eve in the tutorials but rather just to start a town from scratch out there, you can of course act like a pseudo-Eve and just steal a plane, fly out to the tutorials (if someone's made a runway, which you can be pretty sure Tarr has done), and build a new city to your heart's content.

Board footer