One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-25 00:44:16

Booklat1

Buildings (obsolete techtree branches)

Hi. As many of you may know or may have have at least started to notice, it is not very often that we build structures in this game. Sure, Pens are a need and we might see some closed kitchens/libraries in a few endgame towns but as of now these features are largely aesthetic/for vanity only.

I understand how a fast paced game may make static structures unviable. We're too often running around for the extra heat inside a building we just walked into to make a difference. Unless you are one of the people working at a station you are unlikely to stop for long enough inside a building. And most workstations in this game produce heat so it's really overkill with the extra insulation.

The problem is buildings already make up a for a considerable part of the techtree. Walls provide uses for clay, stones, rope and kindling, limestone, cows, paint, but if buiilding itself isn't done we'll never integrate these uses in our games. This affects tech progression, game economy and roleplay.

In light of all that, I want to hear your ideas on this issue. Do we need to push mechanics to make buildings viable? How can we do so?
Personally I think adding a few cold work stations (anything static that doesn't produce heat, imagine crafting tables) and adding more structures like tar pits in cold biomes does the trick. I also see improved animal pathing helping out a lot - bears that step on berries sure would force people to hide behind walls. An additional tier to mines is also something I see people making buildings around

That's it, thoughts?

#2 2019-01-25 02:37:50

Baker

Re: Buildings (obsolete techtree branches)

Easier materials to work with, currently building anything nice takes an age.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#3 2019-01-25 02:55:15

antking:]#

we should be able to make snow walls, like the igloos used in the arctic, of course we can't copy the dome shape and, the walls melt depending on the heat of its location. as snow is easy to find it should be a great building material, keeping people cool in hot biomes and warm in cold biomes.

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#4 2019-01-25 02:59:26

GreatShawn

make buildings last forever - they get wiped daily, making the time and effort buildin them a waste. This is also the main reason villages don't have a lot of buildings.

#5 2019-01-25 04:39:05

Booklat1

Don't wanna be rude, but I don't think any of these help tbh (except cold igloos)

Buildings aren't bad because they are expensive, they're bad because there's no need for them. They aren't bad because they decay, even if they didn't they would just be a waste of space in most towns.

#6 2019-01-25 05:26:05

dangergirl713

I thought it was weird that you had to build wooden floors in order to get the heat advantage. It takes forever to make plaster walls so making a building isn't really worth it. It's easier to make clothes.

#7 2019-01-25 05:51:40

pein

they put it in wrong place
they make it too small
walls cover space
they got no purpose

to make it viable, make them cheaper
make them perfect temperature, so for example central heating/cooling
make walls able to show/hide as stronghold crusader had a flat version when pressing something
or like sims had, a half wall version which shows things inside

it often annoys me that they are on bad spots and i cant modify them so permanent is nto that good
maybe add a minimum size, like 3x3 tent which is needed for something as part of tech tree, or a blueprint which converts them into some fucntional station which creates something from raw materials

décor, we need more décor like tables, chairs, etc.
if i cant complete in one life, then i don't really feel i want to do it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-01-25 05:58:36

NoTruePunk

Ground stakes need a center stake that doesn't move. You can't cycle through it quickly because the stakes move back and forth. Huge pain.

#9 2019-01-25 08:08:49

Potjeh

Make enclosed buildings prerequisite for better storage like shelves and better workstations like stoves.

#10 2019-01-25 16:33:16

CrazyEddie

Buildings aren't useful because heat management isn't very important once you have the resources to make buildings.

Heat management affects food consumption. Food is abundant once the compost cycle is working. A few people maintaining farms, sheep, compost, and pies can feed a very large town even if everyone is naked and the town is built on cold biomes.

On the other hand, now that temperature is affecting fertility, if buildings were an easy way to maintain the perfect temperature that would be a very large reason to make buildings. The problem is that buildings can just as easily make temperature worse if people build them on deserts or jungles, or make fires in them, or walk around in them fully clothed and cover them with bearskin rugs.

#11 2019-01-25 18:48:15

BladeWoods

Buildings are terrible not because they cost a lot of time to build but because they cost a lot of space at no benefit. All the walls of a building are uncrossable spaces that could've been places for items or pathways for people. Buildings can literally destroy towns by how inefficient they make trying to do anything. The absurdly expensive to remove stone walls, impossible to remove old stone walls, and locked doors are just gateways for major griefing. On the other side of the spectrum is the pine wall. Very expensive although it's the only renewable resource wall, but they're too easy to destroy, and the materials aren't recovered.

Stone and pine walls need to be balanced, locked doors (and locked chests) shouldn't auto lock when they close, and buildings need far more benefits to be good. A better temperature buff isn't enough. Something like stopping clothes and food (if food were made to eventually decay) from decaying when stored inside a building, or something crazy like two-story buildings so you get more space from a building instead of less.

#12 2019-01-25 19:13:18

Tarr
Banned

Making the pickaxe not break on a single wall would certainly give buildings a bit more viability at least. The biggest issue with them is normally a building isn't thought out properly for the future. Instead people make these dinky buildings and pat themselves on the back when in reality they've made one of the most annoying things to remove in the game. I do think ancient walls should stay unbreakable though considering someone/anyone had ten hours to undo whatever issue you have now. Honestly I still want graves to go ancient too but that's a subject for another thread.

Honestly if he kicked the heat of the desert up to the chill of the neutral biomes you might see more jungle camps which at the very least need some sort of protection though I guess instead of buildings they would you mosquito traps.

I think the only way to make them viable is a combination of need: either prevents decay like suggested or certain structures can only go instead a building, a better induction of heat: Maybe a completed building (no bare flooring, meets a certain x by x requirement with larger structures granting better bonuses up to some sort of cap) give you better insulation/move you towards the middle instead of shooting you to melting. Lastly maybe just out of need for protection: Have something like bear caves transition into spawning a hungry bear every X hours followed by refilling every ever so often. While yes this would eventually cause a bear hellscape it would certainly make you want to stay indoors.

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2019-01-25 22:05:46

fragilityh14

buildings are getting wiped daily?

And it's kind of a problem without a solution, or at least not one I can think of. The nature of the game is as such that you don't spend a lot of time standing around.

potentially it's useful for organizing forges or bakeries or that sort of things, but i think it's mostly just for people who enjoy building things in game.

Of course, if it gets working with much higher pop servers it's possible there are more actual wars as opposed to random mass stabbers, in which case walls etc might be more necessary.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#14 2019-01-26 00:00:05

Solbusaur

A more efficient way of pulling in resources to make these. Limestone makes adobe permanent (Unless it's removed), but limestone and clay are limited, and need to be fetched.

Some way of mining finite resources like these would really help cut down the whole pain of spending half a life to fetch the resources in the first place.
Quarries, for example, in badlands I thought would be a good way of pulling up limestone, large split rocks, small stones and flat rocks. How one would go about making one though is tricky

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#15 2019-01-26 02:00:01

Morti

Add wooden walls and change the recipe for pine panels.

Add Lean-tos, Adirondacks, huts, yurts or even tents for personal use.

Change the recipe for Pine Panel from Tied Long Shaft to Tied Skewer and make skewers available by splitting Long Straight Shaft in to Wooden Tongs and pulling tongs apart.

Use Wooden Frame + Boards to make Wooden Wall

Add cotton, flax and silk and processing equipment, like retting tanks, flying shuttle, looms, cotton gin, spinning wheel or just some simple devices to bat, willow, heckle and scutch the fibers. Then we can use that for clothing and bindings.

Or we can hold out for rayon in 50 years, or nylon in 100 years.

Or, I don't know, maybe we could just get some nails, screws and a screwdriver or even a hand drill so we can make some holes for pegs to keep things together? Not that anything we suggest will be done.

Tied Skewer
Two Tied Skewers
Three Tied Skewers
Tied Skewer Frame
Netted Wooden Frame
Pine Panel
Pine Wall

Tied Long Shaft
Half Wooden Frame
Partial Wooden Frame
Wooden Frame
Boards
Wooden Wall

Long Straight Shaft
Wooden Tongs

Fustian

#16 2019-01-26 06:58:41

NetherCrow
Website

The buildings' only meaning is to lock some rare thing. At this version of game.

Chinese Mobile Players are the best griefer around the world. I am ashamed of them. They invent the auto-baby-killer and grave-baby-prison to avoid Others Break their Eve Chain. And the griefer use bear and bow to kill every eve player for their REVENGE. All animal and kiln are killed or destroyed because of envy and hatred.

#17 2019-01-26 23:58:20

apereason

GreatShawn wrote:

make buildings last forever - they get wiped daily, making the time and effort buildin them a waste. This is also the main reason villages don't have a lot of buildings.

Yes. sometimes I made a nursery or a hospital when they're probably just gonna get wiped within like a day. I say make them stay a little longer like a week or so before wiping them. they take a long time to build

Board footer