One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-23 17:41:22

fragilityh14

Do full domestic gooseberries or dead gooseberries ever despawn?

The reason i ask, is because i happened to spawn back near a small camp I had set up several hours, which i was sure was the same mostly because of a formation of 4 flints on the ground. It appeared there had been very little activity around my camp, however, the few gooseberry bushes were gone.

My confusion is that since they were just absent, i would think that meant someone took the time to remove them.

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#2 2019-01-23 17:54:48

CrazyEddie

Re: Do full domestic gooseberries or dead gooseberries ever despawn?

According to onetech, domestic gooseberry bushes will not despawn. They can be removed in various ways, but if left alone they will eventually become dead gooseberry bushes, which persist forever.

Domestic gooseberry bushes persist forever as long as they have at least one berry. After the last berry is picked, they begin dying in several steps: languishing, then dying, then dead. Languishing bushes can be removed using stakes, getting it wet, and then quickly digging it out with a shovel; the dug bush can be chopped into kindling. Dying bushes can be removed with a shovel and will become kindling. Dead bushes can be chopped into kindling, which will remove them.

You can see the details of all of this using onetech. Start at https://onetech.info/391-Domestic-Gooseberry-Bush and then follow the "How to use" chains.

#3 2019-01-23 17:56:36

BlueDiamondAvatar

I've seen empty spots in old plantings of bushes, so I think it's only the empty bushes that decay. Maybe someone came by, ate all the berries, and then left without doing much else?  After that the berry bushes would have decayed.   The entire tile can also be reset because no one has looked at it in a while, but since your flint pattern was still there, that seems unlikely.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#4 2019-01-23 18:03:19

fragilityh14

yeah my various artifacts and tilled rows and whatnot were still there.

onetech doesn't show anything that makes it obvious that dead berry bushes ever despawn on their own, besides in a tile reset situation [which I didn't think was supposed to happen, with the map being so incredibly vast]

Anyway, i'm not too worried about the mystery of what happened to a few gooseberry bushes, I just wanted to determine if i leave them there for the next person to find they will generally stay around.

it amazes me how many people never travel far at all, I've been quite close to relatively high population villages and can see the rabbits spawning when I run through the plains.

Listen to your mom!

#5 2019-01-23 19:23:38

pein

they don't despawn but they will die out if you don't put soil on them
water is not necessary but they wont give fruit
now that's 2 min to go brown with no fruit and 30 i think to go yellow, another 30 to die out
then obviously you cannot fix them, just cut them for kindling

a lot of doesn't like bushes everywhere, and it fine to let them die if they are outside of the warmer zone/the surrounded area
and also polite not to fix the ones between the starts of a few roads

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-01-23 22:05:15

fragilityh14

so if they're dead they never disappear though right?

And if they're full of fruit they also stay forever?

Listen to your mom!

#7 2019-01-23 23:44:38

Greep

If they're dead you can also used them for kindling, which may have happened.

Likes sword based eve names.  Claymore, blades, sword.  Never understimate the blades!

#8 2019-01-23 23:45:32

CrazyEddie

fragilityh14 wrote:

so if they're dead they never disappear though right?

That's correct.

And if they're full of fruit they also stay forever?

That's correct.

They never disappear ("decay") no matter what state they are in.

#9 2019-01-24 00:45:21

BlueDiamondAvatar

I'm pretty sure dead bushes do decay, but its on a really long time frame, maybe more than 24 hours. 

i once came across a dead town that had no more adobe buildings (no kiln/forge or oven) but still had wells, iron, iron tools, and planted crops. (Another weird thing was there were plenty of clay plates, but no clay bowls left.)  There were swamp trees in the middle of the berry patch - random holes in the pattern where the natural biome had a chance to reassert itself.

That one example stands out in my mind, but its not the only time i've come across a dead town with holes in the layout of its berry patch.  I'm pretty sure dead bushes eventually decay, even when a bush with fruit will survive.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#10 2019-01-24 01:03:54

pein

that's culling, not really despawn
i once had check board pattern on all the map
which was weird near bushes, i liked it however and didn't realize it was cause of a bug at first

once i had a town where one well and 2 doors, one kiln was the only buildings left, then i found some more wells behind trees

i can imagine that some eve spawned in, cut out the bushes, as any decent person would do, cause its easy kindling and waste of space
but didn't had any daughters, so quit before doing anything really fancy
or a lineage of like 9 gen where no one was capable of creatign compost or making a basket so they just messed around and died out, later you come and looks noobody was in there for a day

culling is not decay, its related, cause the full bushes were interacted with that's why they are full, maybe even the not fully empty ones, the dead are dead cause nobody fixed them in which case they are first to cull

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-01-24 01:29:24

CrazyEddie

Culling only happens when the server restarts, and it only culls things that weren't seen at least once in the seven days prior to the server restart.

Culling is prevented by the object being seen. It doesn't have to be interacted with, it just has to have entered the vision of at least one player at least one time within that seven day window. Which means that both live bushes and dead bushes should either be culled or not culled together.

... at least, I believe that's the intention (based on skimming the code). The actual behavior might be more complicated, possibly unintentionally.

#12 2019-01-24 02:03:06

BlueDiamondAvatar

CrazyEddie wrote:

... at least, I believe that's the intention (based on skimming the code). The actual behavior might be more complicated, possibly unintentionally.

Based on my experiences rediscovering dead towns, I think we are dealing with that last one.  Shhhh!  don't tell Jason, we still might be able to return to some massively decayed version of San-Cal.

Multiple holes in the middle of a berry patch... which BTW, has no languishing, dried, or dead bushes anywhere nearby?  This does not match up with the idea that some are saved and some are preserved based on whether or not they have been viewed. 

I'll try to get screenshots next time I stumble across this, my Crazy friend.

--Blue Diamond

#13 2019-01-24 06:39:10

pein

i remember 48 hours, and the interaction part, and there are some bugs around it, like doors were there rest was deleted
or it was check board pattern (that was fixed i think)

i guess its what i said, they ate all berries and died out, someone cut down the dead bushes, but had no time from kids, and had no decent daughters, so they died out , yeah i had that, spawning into decayed city, making 3 baskets was very hard with kids popping up
i left my quads to starve once but some noob daughter raised them when they spawn again, and they found the knife i hide behind a corner and stab the girls and me
so basically we died out in 40 min, and i focused on compost and wheat farm, that's why i didn't do an apron
but i seen people roleplay for 120 minutes without water and without making a compost in decayed towns

later you spawn there , you cant tell that's a town which died 10 hours ago, or a town which was rediscovered for 90 minutes

#14 2019-01-24 07:15:37

lionon

On my server on my base before I disabled culling there was always a wiered mixture of stuff still lying there and stuff gone (as in items). Structures were always gone.

It maybe that stuff gone was simply because the resetted cells put stuff over it. But I never tested that.

Last edited by lionon (2019-01-24 07:16:03)

#15 2019-01-24 08:37:25

Dodge

lionon wrote:

On my server on my base before I disabled culling there was always a wiered mixture of stuff still lying there and stuff gone (as in items). Structures were always gone.

It maybe that stuff gone was simply because the resetted cells put stuff over it. But I never tested that.

Do some objects not get culled?

Couldnt that cause them to accumulate on the map and lag the server?

I found a small camp when i was eve, it had two shallow wells and a stack of plates but no kiln or everything else, if it gets culled it shoud cull everything no?

#16 2019-01-24 13:41:11

karltown_veteran

Yeah, if you leave them on the ground they rot. It was annoying when a village started putting all their berries into baskets and they kept rotting, so I killed them all with the help of my son. So... don't do that. big_smile

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#17 2019-01-24 19:08:58

lionon

Dodge wrote:

Do some objects not get culled?

On my private servers, definitely (albeit culling was turned on and other stuff got culled).

Couldnt that cause them to accumulate on the map and lag the server?

No idea.

#18 2019-01-27 12:03:32

Ilka

Recently, I was rebuilding a reset camp on an empty server. And it was surprising what was left of the old camp.
These were: some gooseberry bushes, two corn plants and one row bean, a partially eaten pie, an incomplete stew pot, a few stacks of wood, a few stacks of plates, some tools, a pile of paper and the only thing built-water cistern.
I wondered why exactly it was left?
And it seems to me that the system resets things that are complete and leaves those partly worn eg shrubs on which gooseberry missing, partly eaten dishes.
The tools probably were also worn (most of them disintegrated after a few uses).
Everything that is complete and unused is reset (eg pumpkins and a bow).
So gooseberry bushes could have disappeared because they were full.
Strange but I think I'm right.

#19 2019-01-27 14:34:04

CrazyEddie

Interesting. Good observation. I'll report it as a possible bug in the culling algorithm.

Edit: done

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2019-01-27 20:33:57)

#20 2019-01-31 16:07:53

CrazyEddie

Jason confirmed it's a bug and will fix it. So: many (most? all?) of these partially-ruined settlements we've been seeing shouldn't be there at all, and now they will all disappear as intended.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/206

#21 2019-01-31 21:16:01

BlueDiamondAvatar

What part of SSSHHHH DON'T TELL JASON was not clear?

Sigh.
On the other hand, this is a much bigger thing that just partially used items.  I've found wells, stacks of iron, and many different crops.  Oh, and flint chips, as the original poster noted.

--Blue Diamond

#22 2019-02-01 18:57:33

CrazyEddie

Wells, stacks of iron, and piles of flint chips are all multi-use items that are usually partially used.

A stack of plates looks like several different plates in a stack, right? Nope. A stack of plates is a single item, with multiple uses. Each time you right-click on the stack it creates a plate in your hand and removes one use from the stack; each time you put a plate on the stack it destroys the plate and adds one use to the stack. The graphic changes depending on how many uses the stack has left.

Board footer