One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-20 07:20:53

Crumpaloo

Why High Tech Content is Less Important Then Old Content Fixes

Issues that have existed in game for a while now have had more of an effect on overall gameplay then the latest updates. Because unlike the suvival oreintated issues that the game already posseses, these latest update inventions lack the proper motivation to want to build them in the first place.

Cars: Cars are basically expensive horses that unlike actual horse carts if lost or stolen cost you and your village about 5 times more time and resources to make back again. So because of such a small benefit for such a high risk it doesn't make sense to build it in the first place.

Radios/Telegraphs: Towns advanced enough to have radios are towns that are advanced enough to support themselves, as such radios provide no means of progression through a survival orientated lens.

So meanwhile these updates are putting out content that has little to no affect for the majority of the fanbase, things like invulnerable stone blocks, and foods that have obsolete uses continue to plague the game for everyone as a whole.

Rephrasing what i said about vets, vets are essential to the progress of a village, which is why when people see content come out that has no survival orientated purpose, and that only vets can truly understand how to put the content together, it distracts vets from making a more meaningful impact on their village. But while this isn't going to be the end all be all for whether a leiniage makes it or not, it shows a clear divide between the items you NEED to progress in the game, and what acts more as a side hustle which is what i think these most recent updates are trying to accomplish instead.

Ending this off its hard not to conclude that these latest technologies are more of a toy for vets to mess around with, instead of a impactful content update that the entire community can get their hands on. Thats what makes older technologies so much more engaging, because they are simpler to make, more people are able to make them and as a result, use that content that you have released. However when you create these multi-step projects that only vets can do, you are limiting who can interact with your content which is gonna make those that cant upset when they dont know how to, or if they do make them are even more upset to find out just how limited the uses of them are.

I dont think this would all be that hard to fix just by acknowledging and implementing fixes and suggestions to older content, rather then go full steam ahead with useless wow factor content.

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2019-01-20 20:55:11)

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#2 2019-01-20 08:12:14

pein

Re: Why High Tech Content is Less Important Then Old Content Fixes

if i don't help people is because they are disgraceful assholes and they could help themselves just they are  too lazy and soft

a lot of veterans leave behind a nice design, a working setup, and a lot of medium skill people ruin it or don't care about it at all, i often see that my line dies out, around 9 gen, when the compost i made runs out
a lot of veterans perform thing very fast, especially as kids, until they cannot pick up weapons and stone blocks, a 3 age old kid jumps to smithing or composting and makes enough soil/water/tools for the entire generation, so i wouldn't call it leaching, even if they don't create food
i often fill the pen, just to kill off the berry mongers, carry meat to oven and all the plates, so that feeds most people a while, but even if i don't, i can survive off the wild food

i wont call it a distraction, for example i make rubber lot of times, which is a very useful thing and can be done full time, you make two, upgrade cart, make 6 buckets, empty 2 hot springs, etc.
that makes cars resistant to wipe, help on carry soil, having newcommen pumps or engine wells

cars are taking away from the iron supply which would extend the tool making process, but once somebody is efficient at it, the bigger issue is the lack of organization and restriction, mostly self restriction from players who cannot make something but withhold it from others

there is always a loss when testing out stuff, but is fun
radios don't cost much iron, and once we can do it fast, its actually helpful
i been able to make a car 2nd time i been somewhere, or continuing a work of other veteran who spent a life on it, for newbies who don't see it trough, is equal amount interesting but even 30 generations of them wont make a car by doing each piece one by one, so you cannot expect me doing the field work while others ruining the high tech

the general attitude should be gathering clay, firewood, planting milkweed so we got excess, not combining different stuff left and right and doing things you don't understand yet fully
at least for like 10 minutes, that would make life easier
its not that hard to make a nicely designed berry farm or anything, what takes me 2 lifes alone, would take like 10 minutes if all the population helps

food making and surviving is one goal, creating nice things and advancing in tech is important for a lot of people, and i  rather make a pen when my smart grandkid wants do do more advanced things, than make 24 pies to keep the noobs going for 30 min

lack of resources arent really a problem
yesterday s2:
fire family: lack of girls and some noob stabbed the only fertile female, gen 48
clayton family: overpopulation since the start, lack of kids killed off the family at night time 38 gen
shrout family: no decent players online and some selfish assholes and serial killers ruined a good start, lack of kids, especially decent ones 23 gen

was there multiple times in each and rolling around to get back so i seen that there arent other decent lines around

fire family had radio parts
claytons were struggling and i was the only one who made some rubber, tech correlates with the length of a lineage

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-01-20 11:04:54

Potjeh

WTF, I put the Claytons in a perfect spot, there was ton of soil pits, bunnies, branches and water within two screens of the kiln. How could they be struggling? I even made axe and shovel and a pot of stew IIRC. Also, there's no such thing as overpopulation. I prefer to call it natural selection.

Last edited by Potjeh (2019-01-20 11:06:20)

#4 2019-01-20 11:47:02

Dodge

"Radios/Telegraphs: Because every town is self sufficient there is no need to communicate with other ones for survival orientated gain, making it impossible to receive any direct benefits to pay back for all the resources and time that you put into making them in the first place, thus making these inventions obsolete."

If you can communicate between villages you can find them, build roads and join one or more families which means you can have more than one lineage in one town, you avoid lineage ban and are able to spawn in the same town which means generations can last a lot longer, so they are far from obsolete

Also saying that vets leech of village is idiotic, if you have a basic understanding of the farming/compost/food cycle you know when a village is going to lack food or have problems and you do something about it

If you still think that lack of ressources is what is causing death of lineages then you need to learn more about the mechanics of the game

How many times where you in a town with absolutly no food and lineage ended because of it?

Not many times right

Food shortages are really rare and even then people manage to survive and get wild foods the time to make more compost, pies etc

#5 2019-01-20 16:15:50

Crumpaloo

Dodge wrote:

"Radios/Telegraphs: Because every town is self sufficient there is no need to communicate with other ones for survival orientated gain, making it impossible to receive any direct benefits to pay back for all the resources and time that you put into making them in the first place, thus making these inventions obsolete."

If you can communicate between villages you can find them, build roads and join one or more families which means you can have more than one lineage in one town, you avoid lineage ban and are able to spawn in the same town which means generations can last a lot longer, so they are far from obsolete

Also saying that vets leech of village is idiotic, if you have a basic understanding of the farming/compost/food cycle you know when a village is going to lack food or have problems and you do something about it

If you still think that lack of ressources is what is causing death of lineages then you need to learn more about the mechanics of the game

How many times where you in a town with absolutly no food and lineage ended because of it?

Not many times right

Food shortages are really rare and even then people manage to survive and get wild foods the time to make more compost, pies etc

If its just communication then we already have the bell towers that show everyone on the server where you are at already, so the need of a radio becomes obsolete, and while i would like to see roads built next to civilizations, the 4 thousand tile minimum distance makes any full road impossible as it stand.

Also im not talking about vets that help they're villages out, that i couldnt be more thankful for, its the ones that spend their lives making this life-time contraptions that waste iron that could be used for more productive means instead of making a slightly buffed horse. With cars and radios this is no obvious pay-off to get back all that iron and charcoal you used, as a result yes, vets who do nothing in their village but try to get to the end tech on the tech tree do leech off their village, that doesnt mean i think all of them do this.

My point was that this is more of a gameplay issue then vets at all.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#6 2019-01-20 16:17:57

Crumpaloo

Potjeh wrote:

WTF, I put the Claytons in a perfect spot, there was ton of soil pits, bunnies, branches and water within two screens of the kiln. How could they be struggling? I even made axe and shovel and a pot of stew IIRC. Also, there's no such thing as overpopulation. I prefer to call it natural selection.

The problem isnt the vets that help their villages, the problem are the minority that build these radios and cars with no immediate signs of pay off for all the work that was put into them in the first place.

#7 2019-01-20 16:27:27

Crumpaloo

pein wrote:

if i don't help people is because they are disgraceful assholes and they could help themselves just they are  too lazy and soft

a lot of veterans leave behind a nice design, a working setup, and a lot of medium skill people ruin it or don't care about it at all, i often see that my line dies out, around 9 gen, when the compost i made runs out
a lot of veterans perform thing very fast, especially as kids, until they cannot pick up weapons and stone blocks, a 3 age old kid jumps to smithing or composting and makes enough soil/water/tools for the entire generation, so i wouldn't call it leaching, even if they don't create food
i often fill the pen, just to kill off the berry mongers, carry meat to oven and all the plates, so that feeds most people a while, but even if i don't, i can survive off the wild food

i wont call it a distraction, for example i make rubber lot of times, which is a very useful thing and can be done full time, you make two, upgrade cart, make 6 buckets, empty 2 hot springs, etc.
that makes cars resistant to wipe, help on carry soil, having newcommen pumps or engine wells

cars are taking away from the iron supply which would extend the tool making process, but once somebody is efficient at it, the bigger issue is the lack of organization and restriction, mostly self restriction from players who cannot make something but withhold it from others

there is always a loss when testing out stuff, but is fun
radios don't cost much iron, and once we can do it fast, its actually helpful
i been able to make a car 2nd time i been somewhere, or continuing a work of other veteran who spent a life on it, for newbies who don't see it trough, is equal amount interesting but even 30 generations of them wont make a car by doing each piece one by one, so you cannot expect me doing the field work while others ruining the high tech

the general attitude should be gathering clay, firewood, planting milkweed so we got excess, not combining different stuff left and right and doing things you don't understand yet fully
at least for like 10 minutes, that would make life easier
its not that hard to make a nicely designed berry farm or anything, what takes me 2 lifes alone, would take like 10 minutes if all the population helps

food making and surviving is one goal, creating nice things and advancing in tech is important for a lot of people, and i  rather make a pen when my smart grandkid wants do do more advanced things, than make 24 pies to keep the noobs going for 30 min

lack of resources arent really a problem
yesterday s2:
fire family: lack of girls and some noob stabbed the only fertile female, gen 48
clayton family: overpopulation since the start, lack of kids killed off the family at night time 38 gen
shrout family: no decent players online and some selfish assholes and serial killers ruined a good start, lack of kids, especially decent ones 23 gen

was there multiple times in each and rolling around to get back so i seen that there arent other decent lines around

fire family had radio parts
claytons were struggling and i was the only one who made some rubber, tech correlates with the length of a lineage

Right and if you are gonna make end tech in a end civ i got no problem with that, but when you are early-mid civ and someone starts making a car or radio i cant help but wonder how it will ever pay-off. Resources wise i know if you can find a couple of iron mines you are pretty much set for life but i think just the lack of productive uses these inventions have is what makes them detested.

#8 2019-01-20 16:39:50

antking:]#

I think the biggest problem is that people lack the organization to function properly something you see in our world.
Ex. You get assigned a group project and/or activity, and only one person doesn't care, two of them are fighting for power, one of you does the work but never shares it and, finally your the person who gets your part done, and suffer from others stupidity.

its not the lack of resources its not the updates, its the problem with communication, and cooperation, and negligence. this is where I see the radio as useful as communication is the first step to a working, cooperating, and maintained society!

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#9 2019-01-20 16:51:08

Crumpaloo

antking:]# wrote:

I think the biggest problem is that people lack the organization to function properly something you see in our world.
Ex. You get assigned a group project and/or activity, and only one person doesn't care, two of them are fighting for power, one of you does the work but never shares it and, finally your the person who gets your part done, and suffer from others stupidity.

its not the lack of resources its not the updates, its the problem with communication, and cooperation, and negligence. this is where I see the radio as useful as communication is the first step to a working, cooperating, and maintained society!

People in this game communicate fine for complete strangers, and asking Jason to break the realism of the game to implement player made groups with hovering icons that tell whos in whos group will most likely only set out to divide us further. Ive seen entire towns abandoned because of a lineage war, imagine what would happen if you created splinter cells in between those lineages. But if people in this game REALLY want to communicate more and form groups, there would be alot more twins, triplets, and quads playing around, and so far alot of them only do that for organized greifing, not productivity.

#10 2019-01-20 16:53:58

lionon

Crumpaloo wrote:

ILast thing i wanna mention is player suggestions and issue fix suggestions. Players love your game probably just as much as you do, so whenever i see a dev use a community members ideas i cant help but jump for joy.

One general thing I'd like to add to this and this is from a talk about a product manager. While listening to your customers is absolutely essential, he said most of the suggestions they received was in little improvements here and there. Smoothing the rough edges. According to him, the impression he got that the customers mostly were unaware of the big picture where to product line ought to go and what is possible.

Just saying. And I agree that a big majority of user suggestions are that. Smoothing out rough edges and the summary of the critique also seems to go in that. However, also some of the suggestions that paint a big picture are also quite obviously quite contrary to the direction the intention of Jason seems to be.

So I think that's always to keep in mind. Small improvements of the current state are important, and also IMO have been somewhat neglected. However at the same time, Jason also need to be given enough freedom to pursue his bigger ideas and trust things will fall in place eventually.

#11 2019-01-20 16:58:52

Dodge

Crumpaloo wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Not many times right

If its just communication then we already have the bell towers that show everyone on the server where you are at already, so the need of a radio becomes obsolete, and while i would like to see roads built next to civilizations, the 4 thousand tile minimum distance makes any full road impossible as it stand.

Also im not talking about vets that help they're villages out, that i couldnt be more thankful for, its the ones that spend their lives making this life-time contraptions that waste iron that could be used for more productive means instead of making a slightly buffed horse. With cars and radios this is no obvious pay-off to get back all that iron and charcoal you used, as a result yes, vets who do nothing in their village but try to get to the end tech on the tech tree do leech off their village, that doesnt mean i think all of them do this.

My point was that this is more of a gameplay issue then vets at all.

Some villages can be very close to each other 200-250 tiles but without communication you will never know and since bell towers requires a lot of time to settle they a rare compared to the radio that can be made without time waiting period, so you can use a bell marker as an indication of distance to communicate between smaller villages to find each other, so no not obsolete at all

#12 2019-01-20 16:59:01

Crumpaloo

Moderation is always best, dont gotta spend 8 hour work week implementing and reviewing suggestions, but at the same time you dont wanna ignore your fan base entirely.  For now take more suggestions in, and then when people stop talking about it just get back to what you do.

#13 2019-01-20 17:05:32

lionon

Crumpaloo wrote:

Moderation is always best, dont gotta spend 8 hour work week implementing and reviewing suggestions, but at the same time you dont wanna ignore your fan base entirely.  For now take more suggestions in, and then when people stop talking about it just get back to what you do.

I agree IMO it is the best to find a good balance between taking over the ideas of your costumers since well they got an idea how the product feels to them and pursing your "big picture" unless you keep stepping in place.

#14 2019-01-20 23:51:47

Crumpaloo

lionon wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

I agree IMO it is the best to find a good balance between taking over the ideas of your costumers since well they got an idea how the product feels to them and pursing your "big picture" unless you keep stepping in place.

Yeah so far i haven't seen him address this in any post but one and in that post he was just saying how the spark gap update wasn't wasted because it built on radios but thats not really the point im trying to argue. I dont think he wasted any time making the content he did, im just saying that in terms of survival and village progression these inventions are pretty low on that spectrum. Meanwhile issues that could of been fixed while this update was being released are still going on and have alot more of a effect, a negative one on the community as a whole.

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2019-01-20 23:52:15)

#15 2019-01-21 00:05:16

Potjeh

At the very least we need to get fixes for useless content such as pigs and dogs.

#16 2019-01-21 04:42:39

Crumpaloo

Potjeh wrote:

At the very least we need to get fixes for useless content such as pigs and dogs.

Yeah but its kind of hard for me to suggest anything specific as i know it will probably just end up getting ignored so at least if i dont bring any up that will give the luxury of hoping it would be seen at a later time.

Board footer