One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-01-23 15:56:40

CrazyEddie

Re: Please Jason, stop adding useless high-tech. Work on the basics.

There's the kernel of a valid complaint here. The advanced content is only going to be rewarding to hard-core players, people who can devote a substantial amount of time to the game. They don't provide any benefit to the town, so their only value is as something to build for the sake of building it. But because they are complex and only accessible in late game, not many people will have the opportunity to enjoy the challenge of puzzling out how to build them and developing the skill of building them.

I think that's fine. There is plenty of other content which provides more useful benefits to a town, which is accessible earlier, and which is complex enough to be a stimulating challenge but not so complex that it's beyond reach for casual players.

As I've said elsewhere, while I'm glad the advanced content is there, I'd be even happier with more focus on enhancing the lower-level content, and in particular creating more viable paths and more interaction between the paths.

#52 2019-01-23 16:59:19

Booklat1

What some seen to be missing is that adding to the tree and rebalancing it are not excludent. In fact, I don't see how to do these without each other.

Lets talk about the techtree. It was mostly stagnated for months and we kept asking stuff for it. Cows, tree farming and mangoes all changed the meta for a while but tech like writing and rails never performed like it should. Even worse, we've had tech that has been useless ever since the beginning of the game, like buildings. Having main trunks of tech not being viable is a complete mess on the game's design and balance, but more on that later. Water nerf allowed an important meta shift but crumpaloo isn't so wrong about newer tech being of little use. We don't really need oil pumps because coal pumps are already pretty efficient. Im glad we have oil tech because it's fun but it is true that this part of the techtree is mostly for "yet more efficient water generation". I suggested radios in the past and I'm sure they'll be of use if communication ever becomes a need, but there is indeed some reworking to be done.

Talking about balance, both building and cothing are mostly of little use because the hot biomes exist and we don't often get far away from towns (when we do it it's for iron/rarely gold). Also, despite the nerfs we have water production enabling one of the biggest exploits in the game for me, mutton pies. Mutton and wheat come from composting but with just 1/4 water we can produce mutton pies. And water costs coal that costs iron + kindling, the later which actually grows on trees. While all our economy depends heavily on iron we have some exploits like these in which for very few iron we get to produce ridiculous amounts of resources. I wouldn't want eve starts, eve camps and pre sheep civs to get harder (these do deserve even some extra tech for variability) but we can't allow the game to be at any point stable. This is in line with what Jason says he wants to the game, no steady states.

It is boring when jason focus on one approach for a long while but it also allows the game to greatly shift once he starts putting all pieces together. We haven't even started seeing big cities dying because of no iron, and iron nerf has been quite a while ago. I think all the pushing for toptier tech, iron and water nerfs, communication and server popuation rework will fit nicely together after a while, but I cannot dismiss the fact a bunch of main features in this game never worked.

#53 2019-01-23 19:46:41

Crumpaloo

Dodge wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Repeating 10 times the same thing doesnt make it more true or interesting

Lack of ressources is not the reason villages/towns die, so if that's the main motivation for this rant it's pointless

There is a lot of "accessible" content for new players if you are not willing to learn more ellaborate stuff you can make stanchion kits, get sheeps, smith etc..

Not everything needs to be useful, what isn't useful now might be in the future and just because YOU dont see a use in something doesnt mean it's useless

From a survival aspect, yes it is useless, it doesnt help get food, water, compost, tools, iron, etc.. Cars get stolen like that, not very useful if they are stolen, radios are pointless as of right now unless Jason does something to fix that, no village is gonna benefit from having a radio. So if Jason is just gonna keep adding content with no survival orientated purpose then i cant see me continuing to play a game where aesthetics are preferred over meaningful survival content.

Also look back at what i said, people that are working or have college aint got time to learn all this elaborate stuff, and as a result they are implicitly barred from accessing content they have no time to learn how to put together. Not including being born in the right village to make this.

And if i gotta wait 3 weeks for a radio to be useful then why did Jason not just wait until the content was complete before releasing it? You dont take a pie out of the oven half baked, why do the same with content?

Learning is part of the game and having more complex proccess to make something makes the game more interesting in that aspect, the argument of time makes no sense at all, you play the game like you want to play it, you can do only roleplay and not learn anything more than berries or even live in the wild all your life if you want it's up to you

If you dont want to learn more elaborate stuff it's your choice, you make it seem like making a radio,tv or gps satellite should be as easy as making a bow drill that makes no sense, off course it's going to be more complicated

Like i said before just because you dont see why something is useful doesn't make it useless, radio's for example can be used to connect towns even if they dont have a bell tower

For the rest you dont even know what might be added, cars could get passenger seat and you could transport people from one town to another

And for the morse machine you can see it as a training tool for newbies that want to get into electricity, since the future electric stuff will probably be much more complex

But you're right let's just stay farmers and use all the steel on basic tools, that seems fun roll

Dont know why you are being so cynical, radios as of now have no meaningful purpose in this game as of right now, same for cars, and assuming that Jason is going to add new content that makes them meaningful is just speculation. If he was going to do something like this he would of thrown out another car update, but he didn't, so i highly doubt hes gonna do something with the radios. Also how is talking to other villages going to help your own?

In terms of the newcomen update and the jungle biome update, these past couple of updates have had little or no affect on core gameplay for the entire community as a whole, thats why people are upset.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#54 2019-01-23 19:48:56

Crumpaloo

CrazyEddie wrote:

There's the kernel of a valid complaint here. The advanced content is only going to be rewarding to hard-core players, people who can devote a substantial amount of time to the game. They don't provide any benefit to the town, so their only value is as something to build for the sake of building it. But because they are complex and only accessible in late game, not many people will have the opportunity to enjoy the challenge of puzzling out how to build them and developing the skill of building them.

I think that's fine. There is plenty of other content which provides more useful benefits to a town, which is accessible earlier, and which is complex enough to be a stimulating challenge but not so complex that it's beyond reach for casual players.

As I've said elsewhere, while I'm glad the advanced content is there, I'd be even happier with more focus on enhancing the lower-level content, and in particular creating more viable paths and more interaction between the paths.

.Too complex for your average player to make

.Little if any benefit to your village

Yup that sounds like the radio/cars in a nutshell

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#55 2019-01-23 21:30:46

Tane

Fact is, this game has been hemorrhaging players.
Seems like the tutorial helped, but there's still a giant hole in lower tier tech which means instead of a rise to civilazation, progress is made in leaps and bounds.

#56 2019-01-24 18:18:38

GreatShawn

Tane wrote:

Seems like the tutorial helped, but there's still a giant hole in lower tier tech which means instead of a rise to civilazation, progress is made in leaps and bounds.

Exactly what I thought.

#57 2019-01-25 08:10:01

Crumpaloo

GreatShawn wrote:
Tane wrote:

Exactly what I thought.

Agreed, and its not just us, theres about 30 other people on this post that have acknowledged this issue, thats alotta people, so Jason why are you ignoring the problem, if you are fixing it just say you are, dont make us all wait another week to find out if the game is gonna get better or not.

#58 2019-01-25 17:27:30

GreatShawn

Crumpaloo wrote:
GreatShawn wrote:
Tane wrote:

Exactly what I thought.

Agreed, and its not just us, theres about 30 other people on this post that have acknowledged this issue, thats alotta people, so Jason why are you ignoring the problem, if you are fixing it just say you are, dont make us all wait another week to find out if the game is gonna get better or not.

I'm hoping this or next week he'll get this done. let's just pray to Jasus.

#59 2019-01-25 23:57:55

Crumpaloo

GreatShawn wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:
GreatShawn wrote:

Exactly what I thought.

Looked at discord and there he said something like "no radio stuff for next week", thats kinda vague, do you mean no high tech content, or do you mean no content that doesn't have a survival orientated use? Also these discussions are going on in the forums so why are you bringing up the issue out of them where few people can see them? That just makes it harder to see what you are saying.

#60 2019-01-26 03:06:36

GreatShawn

Crumpaloo wrote:
GreatShawn wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

Looked at discord and there he said something like "no radio stuff for next week", thats kinda vague, do you mean no high tech content, or do you mean no content that doesn't have a survival orientated use? Also these discussions are going on in the forums so why are you bringing up the issue out of them where few people can see them? That just makes it harder to see what you are saying.

WAIT OHOL HAVE A DISCORD?? GIMME THE LINK!!!

#61 2019-01-26 04:16:17

wondible

GreatShawn wrote:

Check the bottom of the OHOL home page. Current invite

https://onemap.wondible.com/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ -- https://wondible.com/ohol-name-picker/
Custom client with  autorun, name completion, emotion keys, interaction keys, location slips, object search, camera pan, and more

#62 2019-01-26 23:20:36

GreatShawn

wondible wrote:
GreatShawn wrote:

Check the bottom of the OHOL home page. Current invite

THANK YOU SO MUCH

#63 2019-01-28 02:54:40

GreatShawn

Jason Please this week

#64 2019-01-28 20:21:24

Booklat1

he said on discord that he will work on content that makes sense now in the bigs server. I assume transportation/communication at lower tiers.

Board footer