One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-20 02:36:07

GreatShawn

Please Jason, stop adding useless high-tech. Work on the basics.

Why is the tech tree advancing so much when lots of work needed to be done on the basic contents of the game? This game's content still has a lot of things that doesn't make sense or make lives difficult. Here are a list of things that NEEDED to be added or be fixed:

-Please Jason, Nerf the iron nerf. The iron nerf makes starting and maintaining villages almost too difficult.

- THIS IS A BIG ONE, SO BIG IT DESERVES ITS OWN LINE: Add the option to choose your gender when being born, or maybe add some actual non-random mecanic to determine one's gender.

-The ability to take off clothes when you caught yellow fever.
-Make clothes much more useful, or at the very least add easier ways to make clothes.
-More ways to make rope! Or just make milkweeds regrow like the old days.
-Mass player transportation.
-Some way to reduce the stress of cooking. ex: Waiting painfully for a fire to cool down when the whole town is starving.

In general, the game has much to be worked on with the basics. OHOL's tech tree is rather like a tree with thin roots, just waiting for a gentle breeze to knock it over (Sorry, just finished writing an essay.)

Sorry to blackmail you, Jason, but right now I really don't enjoy the game, and unless I see some actual progress I don't think I'll be playing for a while.

And you, Forum-ers, I appreciate if you post simmilar posts on the forum so Jason can see the forum flowed by our posts when he visits, and maybe he'll get some actual change done.

#2 2019-01-20 03:07:21

Crumpaloo

Re: Please Jason, stop adding useless high-tech. Work on the basics.

Got a few posts not too long ago that talk about similar issues here:

1. https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5057

2. https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5049

3. https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5035

4. https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5007

5. https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5025

At this point we might as well sign a damn petition.

These post talking about different issues but the message is the same:

There are inconsistencies with what Jason says his priorites are(realism,functionally of inventions), and the functionality of the recent things that he has put out (Cars,Apocolypse,Radios)

So meanwhile while the implementation of these mechanics have little if any functionality to core gameplay, meaningful suggestions and fixes are being brushed aside for these wow factor odditys that serve nothing more than play things for end game civs.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#3 2019-01-20 03:16:10

Tarr
Banned

The biggest thing about the last two updates is they are good updates for the game but the timing was off in my opinion. Radios would have been absolutely amazing at the time of something like four cities where they would have been amazing for talking between the towns. With the latest thing of removing sticky sessions we're starting to see one server become more dominant at times which leads to higher population which means more actual towns instead of dinky eve camps. As these cities grow and expand they'll be able to talk to each other (even if with the current situation they'll never meet.)

Basically radios are a good update that just came at a time where we've basically had a month of no real meaty updates so it feels bad. While before I would say they're big stupid toys radios right now I'd say they're more akin to toys that might just get better with time.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-01-20 03:23:51

arfarf

Well you had some backlash a while back with aspies kvetching about him adding foods when they wanted homicidal atomic robots.   Personally what I want to see most of all is an improved UI.  Make the option to drive it like starcraft but with one unit.  Click through a menu tree to build something and watch your little guy run around making it happen.  With just the tab to see and terrible search function now it is borderline impossible to do the advanced stuff without memorizing everything beforehand.  The game must be more accessible to normies.  Building roads should not give you carpel tunnel.

#5 2019-01-20 03:47:51

UnnoticedShadow

Can we not make any more posts about this, it's kind of gotten out of hand, and let's keep it down for now, although GreatShawn is a troll, from a quick look at his history, his "location" is enough to make that much clear though.

#6 2019-01-20 05:30:13

Crumpaloo

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

Can we not make any more posts about this, it's kind of gotten out of hand, and let's keep it down for now, although GreatShawn is a troll, from a quick look at his history, his "location" is enough to make that much clear though.

People are making posts about this because people think this is an issue, and like all issues if its serious enough to the people who are bringing it up, then its serious enough to be addressed, and so far there have not been any overall addressing of these issues, so until that happens, its still going to BE an issue, and therefore people are still going to bring it up.

1,280 pips just by Making Pork Tacos, Possible 2,500 pips just by hunting turkeys, and yet, somehow, yall still eating berries, bruh.

#7 2019-01-20 05:49:47

Go! Bwah!

GreatShawn wrote:

And you, Forum-ers, I appreciate if you post simmilar posts on the forum so Jason can see the forum flowed by our posts when he visits, and maybe he'll get some actual change done.

Why?  People have been asking for a softer bottom-end since shortly after it released.  It isn't what he wants for the game.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#8 2019-01-20 06:01:41

Crumpaloo

Go! Bwah! wrote:
GreatShawn wrote:

Why?  People have been asking for a softer bottom-end since shortly after it released.  It isn't what he wants for the game.

I can understand having a vision but theres a point where you need to have a compromise with your community, i know that population stabilization update had to do with a player suggestion, so im hopefully that he'll pull through.

#9 2019-01-20 06:28:02

UnnoticedShadow

I suppose you have a point Crumpaloo, I just feel this post was a bit redundant, so perhaps I said that wrongly.  I just don't want multiple posts bringing up the *same* topic over and over, on different posts.  I did not mean that I wanted the community to just turn a blind eye to the problem as a whole

#10 2019-01-20 07:35:40

Go! Bwah!

Crumpaloo wrote:

I can understand having a vision but theres a point where you need to have a compromise with your community, i know that population stabilization update had to do with a player suggestion, so im hopefully that he'll pull through.

Well, you can always hold fast, and let the players drift off in search of greener pastures, and have the game die.  I think this is fairly likely... Jason does take suggestions, but those that make the game more fun for casual players seem to go to the bottom of the pile.  In ten+ months we got what, mushrooms and facial expressions?  Versus how many changes to make things harder?

But yeah, who knows, maybe he'll have a change of heart at some point.  I'm not holding my breath.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#11 2019-01-20 07:40:38

Crumpaloo

Go! Bwah! wrote:
Crumpaloo wrote:

Well, you can always hold fast, and let the players drift off in search of greener pastures, and have the game die.  I think this is fairly likely... Jason does take suggestions, but those that make the game more fun for casual players seem to go to the bottom of the pile.  In ten+ months we got what, mushrooms and facial expressions?  Versus how many changes to make things harder?

But yeah, who knows, maybe he'll have a change of heart at some point.  I'm not holding my breath.

Its all about moderation, we can make our point clear, but anything beyond that is just unnecessary

#12 2019-01-20 07:52:09

Crumpaloo

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

I suppose you have a point Crumpaloo, I just feel this post was a bit redundant, so perhaps I said that wrongly.  I just don't want multiple posts bringing up the *same* topic over and over, on different posts.  I did not mean that I wanted the community to just turn a blind eye to the problem as a whole

I would say for everyone to just talk about it on one post, but i think this is a sort of way to get his attention, where as just one fourm thread could be easily overlooked, intentionally or not. Plus everyone wants their perspective to be in their own thread and not in someone elses because everyone is taking the updates themselves a little differently.

#13 2019-01-20 08:47:26

WalrusesConquer

I like the random option. Would you rather have your village die out because no one wanted to be a girl? Unlikely sure, but in my opinion this game's birth mechanics should always be random

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#14 2019-01-20 08:58:11

lionon

WalrusesConquer wrote:

I like the random option. Would you rather have your village die out because no one wanted to be a girl? Unlikely sure, but in my opinion this game's birth mechanics should always be random

I believe best would be if there was a tendency to 50/50. The more males (below 40) are alive in a certain lineage, the higher the chance for the next baby to be a girl (and vice versa)

#15 2019-01-20 09:25:21

DestinyCall

lionon wrote:
WalrusesConquer wrote:

I believe best would be if there was a tendency to 50/50. The more males (below 40) are alive in a certain lineage, the higher the chance for the next baby to be a girl (and vice versa)

How about alternating genders? If the previous baby was male, next baby is female and vis versa.   Not random, but it avoids long streams of boys or girls due to weird luck.

#16 2019-01-20 09:32:52

Tarr
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:
lionon wrote:
WalrusesConquer wrote:

How about alternating genders? If the previous baby was male, next baby is female and vis versa.   Not random, but it avoids long streams of boys or girls due to weird luck.

Don't get me wrong I hate random genders myself but I think just alternating leads you to start gaming births and what not. "Well I just dropped a girl off in town so I know any baby born can just be left in the wilderness since it'll be a boy." I think it being heavier weighted towards the gender you've had less of would be better. You'd still have those lives where you get a majority of one gender but you'd hopefully stop having the nine boys lineage ender scenarios.

fug it’s Tarr.

#17 2019-01-20 11:01:07

Potjeh

I'd like to see a weighted RNG, with baby gender chances leaning more towards female the less under 40 women there are in the lineage.

#18 2019-01-20 14:52:24

lionon

DestinyCall wrote:

How is this better than having the birth depending on sex of persons below 40 in the lineage? Because that way one awesome change would be, even if there a few people, boys would be just as precious... since having them alive increases the likelyhood of the next baby to be a girl.

#19 2019-01-20 16:12:57

Erudaru

Did you guys notice that this issue escalated after going live on steam? I think Jason is paranoid about more and more people catching up with the tech and making comments like "where are the cars and robots?! You promised me in the trailer!!!"

#20 2019-01-20 16:36:47

Crumpaloo

Erudaru wrote:

Did you guys notice that this issue escalated after going live on steam? I think Jason is paranoid about more and more people catching up with the tech and making comments like "where are the cars and robots?! You promised me in the trailer!!!"

Ill pick good gameplay over trailer promises anyday of the week, Jason shouldnt have to make robots in the near future to make a entertaining game should he? No, so that being said as long as he does it at some point i got no problem with that...

Also what live stream?

Last edited by Crumpaloo (2019-01-20 16:37:31)

#21 2019-01-20 18:10:12

GreatShawn

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

Wow. I am just posting my opinion. Think this way: A teenager who came from a communist country, why wouldn't he praise communism?
And this is a suggestion which will all help the community, so why not?

#22 2019-01-20 18:34:50

fatalwolf

All I ask for is to buff fishing. But if we are making suggestions bacon and beef would be nice. Knife plus pork could give you a strip of bacon, just like corn seeds it could be repeatable for a certain amount of times. Also allow us to make jerky out of bear meat, wolf meat, and seal. An all round hunting update would be great.

Last edited by fatalwolf (2019-01-20 18:39:51)

Buff fishing

#23 2019-01-20 18:35:37

Crumpaloo

GreatShawn wrote:
UnnoticedShadow wrote:

Wow. I am just posting my opinion. Think this way: A teenager who came from a communist country, why wouldn't he praise communism?
And this is a suggestion which will all help the community, so why not?

Its less that he thinks you are a troll, and more him venting his frustrations of seeing the same posts over and over again, and i gotta agree, it is annoying that were seeing the same post over and over again, but the fact that these posts are staying up in the forums show that before these post go away, they need to be addressed fist.

#24 2019-01-20 19:06:18

Erudaru

Crumpaloo wrote:
Erudaru wrote:

Ill pick good gameplay over trailer promises anyday of the week, Jason shouldnt have to make robots in the near future to make a entertaining game should he? No, so that being said as long as he does it at some point i got no problem with that...

Also what live stream?

With "going live on steam" I meant "being released on Steam."

I completely agree,I would rather have better farming, fire and clothes than robots and cars, but some people have complained over that. And it wasn't even an explicit promise to begin with.

There's a desk in the trailer though. Where are our tables and desks, Jason?!

#25 2019-01-20 19:59:08

Fae

I'll be honest - it WOULD be nice to see him work on the basics of lower tech. You would think by the point of having actual radios we could have already had better clothing and improve hunting. I mean, I bitch about this a lot but we can't even do anything with half the meat we can acquire. Why is pork only edible to dogs? Why can't we eat cows? So many other ways to make food will help and improve gameplay - at least in my opinion.

Board footer