One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-17 12:38:10

keco2002

the ultimate guide to setting up your one hour one life server

to start you will probably want a second computer and a large cup of coffee, and also you need to download the following.
-ubuntu server
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/server
-rufus is only needed if you don't have a CD drive
https://rufus.ie/

after you download those two things you will have to load the ubuntu server iso onto a cd/dvd or onto a flash drive/sd card.

-cd/dvd
this method is the easiest but requires a cd/dvd drive on both computers. first you have to go to the folder holding your ubuntu server download and right click it then click on "burn disk image", it will bring you to the disk burning window where you will select the drive the disk is in and click burn. simple as that

-rufus
with rufus it is a bit harder but still simple, first you must open the rufus exe you just downloaded and then you just select the flash drive/sd card and the iso file and then you can put the iso onto the "data storage device" and then eject it and slap it onto the other computer and move to the next step.

now that you have properly burned things and flashed other things, it is time to install ubuntu server. this is a pretty simple process and i would recommend just using the automatic install, but if you only want to use some of the space on the hard drive then that is fine, but i wont go into detail about that because it is too much(by the way if you do a manual install swap space is not the space that you store files on, i learned that the hard way)

so now that we have the os installed and you most likely have 0 experince with this os it is time to go in head first.

first, before we do anything, we need to install a few things. to do that just type
"sudo apt-get install git g++ imagemagick xclip libsdl1.2-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dev"
(if that doesnt work for you then you can type out each individual install, but it should work)
we also need to make sure that we have screen installed
"sudo apt-get install screen"

now that we have that we can type even more annoying things in because jason rohrer said "you know what, im going to mildly inconvenience these people by adding capitals and underscores so that they have to use the shift key" anyway now that i have vented my hatred of the shift key and all capital letters. so now we need to create a directory for all of this mess to do that type
"sudo mkdir onelife"
(it doesnt have to be called onelife but that was simple so, yea)
now we need to go into that folder
"cd onelife"

now we get to type capitals, so type
"sudo wget http://download6.onehouronelife.com/downloads/OneLife_Live4_UnixSource.tar.gz"
(have fun with that)

now we have to unzip the folder and switch to it so type
"sudo tar xzf OneLife_Live4_UnixSource.tar.gz"
"cd OneLife_Live4_UnixSource"

now we need to run the file that jason so kindly made for our convenience
"sudo ./pullAndBuildLatest"
and now to switch to a folder with capitals
"cd OneLife/server"

from here we need to configure the thing to our system
"sudo ./configure"
we are choosing linux unless you didn't follow my instructions

now that it is configured we have to make everything, i had so much trouble with this step so if you have trouble just ask in the comments
"sudo make"
if it gives you errors saying that some file could not be found then try running configure again and make it as mac os, i think that worked for me but then again i was running on coffee and shortbread so who really knows, after you remeake it on mac os you can switch back to linux and run "sudo make" a third time.

one last-ish step is that we have to create some files that the server needs
"sudo ln -s ../../OneLifeData7/objects"
"sudo ln -s ../../OneLifeData7/transitions"
"sudo ln -s ../../OneLifeData7/categories"
"sudo touch dataVersionNumber.txt"

now we need to tell the server what version number it is because i guess it doesnt know what it is. to do this you are going to go here http://onehouronelife.com/updateLog.php and you are going to look at the top number and see what it is(mine is 192) after that we need to put that in the text file we just created
"sudo nano dataVersionNumber.txt"
now you are greeted by a ui that was outdated in 1995, and you simply type that number that you just saw as the newest build number. then you hit ctrl+x to exit then you hit y to tell it you are going to save you work, and hit enter to overwrite the file.

this one isn't really a step but i have to put it here because it is the main goal, probably, of anyone reading this. because now we are going to run the server
"sudo ./OneLifeServer"
this step got me stuck for a while because it kept giving me errors, but i eventually fixed it. it should pop up with a ton of text and stop at "listening for connection on port 8005" and say nothing under that until you connect, if it stops and gives you that bar that shows what folder you are in you are getting an error, if you have issues with this just ask in the comments.

logging in is annoying but easy because to log in, at least on a lan network you have to do "ifconfig" on the server computer before launching the server, and then you have to look for the row that says the computers ip, which should be 192.168.x.x(the x's are a placeholder for some number that should be there) then you are going to have to remember that ip address and on you gaming computer you launch ohol and go into the setting menu. from the settings menu check the box that asks if you want to use a custom server. for the address just type in the ip address that you just copied down onto a piece of paper and leave the port alone. keep in mind that that ip wont work if you are out of your network, also that ip resets every time you turn off and back on the computer, unless you are using a static ip, then it just resets every time you reset your router, or your power goes out, or a dog trips over the power cable for the router, etc. just remember that you aren't a server farm and that you don't have a perfect little world so just remember that you need to jot down that ip every time you want to access you server.

if you are going to use the server out of network then i dont know, i will figure that out and post a comment saying how to do it.

also.
if you want to change the name of your server in a way that no one will ever see then you can go into your OneLife_Live4_UnixSource folder and go to settings and use nano to edit the server password and server name, there will be a link in references for more info(it is a little wrong though)

refrences
a lot of my info came from this - https://steemit.com/onehouronelife/@grz … r-one-life

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=507

Last edited by keco2002 (2019-01-17 12:57:18)

#2 2019-01-17 17:41:59

andrew_klassen

Re: the ultimate guide to setting up your one hour one life server

keco2002 wrote:

to start you will probably want a second computer and a large cup of coffee

You could also just let the following script do it for you. However, this is a really nice guide that explains the process in plain English. Good job.

https://github.com/andrew-klassen/onelife_easy_install

During the installation you also need to add the tutorialmap symlink if you want the tutorials to load correctly.

ln -s ../../OneLifeData7/tutorialMaps .

#3 2019-01-17 18:02:31

CrazyEddie

Nice! Thanks!

#4 2019-01-17 18:06:13

CrazyEddie

Not to hijack, but it's worth mentioning Awbz' prebuilt server for Windows:

Many different options available; choose the one that works best for you!

Board footer