One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-15 00:44:07

ryanb
Website

Any suggestions for onetech?

I'm the maintainer of https://onetech.info and am looking for ideas for improvements, particularly in making it easier for beginners to use.

1. What part of the site do you find confusing or has tripped you up? Please be specific.

2. Any suggestions or ideas for new features?

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#2 2019-01-15 00:54:21

Morti

Re: Any suggestions for onetech?

How about adding a wiki-like comment section below each object, where people can add information or comments, for others?

I like that it's clean and automated, but if others could contribute, ideally for the benefit of each other, it could be that much more useful.

#3 2019-01-15 00:55:40

Jk Howling

The information on the animals and their movement has tripped me up pretty often.

For example, I have no idea what to make of "Move distance: 1 tile" means on sheep. Move distance, in my mind, would be how far an animal can travel between tiles- and I know a sheep can travel plenty further than 1 tile lol.

Number of Moves also puzzles me. It can only move 10 times? What does that mean exactly? It only moves 10 times then just stops completely? Never seen that happen personally, with any animal.

I feel like it could be worded better, or maybe the information listed differently to be less confusing.

-Has ascended to better games-

#4 2019-01-15 01:23:39

ryanb
Website

Morti wrote:

How about adding a wiki-like comment section below each object, where people can add information or comments, for others?

I like that it's clean and automated, but if others could contribute, ideally for the benefit of each other, it could be that much more useful.

That is a good idea. Currently the entire site is read-only so there's no database to track comments, but I think I could implement this fairly easily with a service like disqus. I'll look into it.

Jk Howling wrote:

The information on the animals and their movement has tripped me up pretty often.

For example, I have no idea what to make of "Move distance: 1 tile" means on sheep. Move distance, in my mind, would be how far an animal can travel between tiles- and I know a sheep can travel plenty further than 1 tile lol.

Number of Moves also puzzles me. It can only move 10 times? What does that mean exactly? It only moves 10 times then just stops completely? Never seen that happen personally, with any animal.

I feel like it could be worded better, or maybe the information listed differently to be less confusing.

I agree this could be improved. The move distance is something in the object's file, and from my understanding they can only move further if there's an object on the ground. So a sheep can move more than 1 tile to jump over another object. I'm not sure what the limit on that is though.

Regarding the "Number of moves", this is how many times it moves before it transitions into another object. For example in the case of a domestic sheep it moves 10 times then changes to a "Domestic Sheep with Lamb" which can be seen in the "Changes over time" section.

I'll try to think of something to make this more clear.

#5 2019-01-15 01:31:46

GreatShawn

I honestly have no idea what it means by "Chance to use: 20% (Last use is 100%)" (Usually on tools). So maybe you can either explain that or change it so people can understand.

#6 2019-01-15 01:38:08

CrazyEddie

ryanb wrote:

I'll try to think of something to make this more clear.

An "i" circle icon linking to an explanation would be good enough. Same for stuff like "chance to use" and so forth.

#7 2019-01-15 03:32:11

Tarr
Banned

ryanb wrote:

I agree this could be improved. The move distance is something in the object's file, and from my understanding they can only move further if there's an object on the ground. So a sheep can move more than 1 tile to jump over another object. I'm not sure what the limit on that is though.

I'm pretty sure a sheep has a limit of 5 along with the mouflon, cow, pig, and boar while bears and dogs have a range of 7. This of course is only doable by blocking the path between the animal and its end goal.

Not sure what the extended range of wolf/mosquitoes are though.

I think the move 1 might be it's follow range as something like cows specifically will only move one tile towards the player unless coaxed to walk further by occupying tiles between the cow and the player with a maximum of five tiles before the cow instead walks elsewhere.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-01-15 04:31:26

Erudaru

Great job on the website, it's actually really good. Not just useful but really well made.

I don't understand why stuff is hidden though, i.e. collapsed until you click "Show more". I believe that we are all interested in all the stuff that's released.

And another thing about movement; all animals' movement is either chase or flee, when in the game it's chase (bear, sheep, dog,...), flee (shorn sheep, escaped horse,...) and random (animals that don't care where you are standing)

#9 2019-01-15 07:09:04

ryanb
Website

Erudaru wrote:

I don't understand why stuff is hidden though, i.e. collapsed until you click "Show more". I believe that we are all interested in all the stuff that's released.

Do you mean the list of transitions on the object page? I do this for a couple reasons.

1. Browser performance. Some objects have a ton of transitions such as the clay bowl or steel axe. The object page loads much faster when there are fewer listed.

2. To not overwhelm beginners. If there are multiple transitions in the  “How to get” section it looks like a list of steps to get the item instead of separate ways to get the item. I will consider expanding the “How to use” section a bit though.

Erudaru wrote:

And another thing about movement; all animals' movement is either chase or flee, when in the game it's chase (bear, sheep, dog,...), flee (shorn sheep, escaped horse,...) and random (animals that don't care where you are standing)

I list the movement type in the object info but it doesn’t always seem to follow this. I have seen animals follow players when they should have the Flee type. Not sure if it is a bug.

#10 2019-01-15 07:49:34

Glassius

Decay time may be useful.

#11 2019-01-15 08:27:05

pein

can you use the lifelog data to make something nice?

so for example
http://onehouronelife.com/publicLifeLog … _names.txt
http://onehouronelife.com/publicLifeLog … Monday.txt

we can technically find ourselves on the name list, search the lifelog for it and even search on the name
would be nice to have a tool doing it for us
takes out the names attaches to the hash and the picture, make a nice graphic tree and coordinates where it died, maybe some fancy hint with the last words
map out the death coordinates and bells and show if the family is alive
its not instant so cant be made real time but would be nice to look back

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-01-15 10:50:59

Erudaru

ryanb wrote:

Do you mean the list of transitions on the object page? I do this for a couple reasons.

I meant the  "What's new in release X" page, where content and transitions are grouped according to commits I guess. I would personally prefer if the whole group is shown right away because I expand them all anyway but nvm, it's just a nitpick.

ryanb wrote:

I list the movement type in the object info but it doesn’t always seem to follow this. I have seen animals follow players when they should have the Flee type. Not sure if it is a bug.

The only truly fleeing animals that I know are shorn sheep and escaped horse. False fleeing animals just randomly choose where to go regardless of the players position. I felt like people could interpret the word wrong (I did).

#13 2019-01-15 11:48:15

KittyTac

Make it an option to see the entire tech tree required to make an item instead of just one branch. Because some of us (or at least me) want to see the level of craziness required to make a radio or a car.

Last edited by KittyTac (2019-01-15 14:24:03)

#14 2019-01-15 12:09:19

Baker

KittyTac wrote:

Make it an option to see the entire tech tree required to make an item instead of just one branch. Because some of us (or at least me) want to see the level of craziness required to mare a radio or a car.

1+

An actual tech tree with all the items would be cool. Be cool seeing how basic items eventually turn into robots.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#15 2019-01-15 17:24:56

mrbah

I didn't know that you could create a backpack with sheep's wool, because for that I would have to expand the "Show more ways... " tab, so i ended up wasting milkweed for a long time.

I know why that tab is there, because if you show every way of "creating" a clay bowl, you have a few dozends of ways, but maybe the paths that either require the item in the first place or the paths where the last step includes the name (such as "Soil-filled backpack" includes the word "backpack" and "bowl of limestone" contains "bowl") should be the ones that pop up when clicking that, not the two ways of actually creating a backpack.

Just a small suggestion to help filter useful information from less useful info.

#16 2019-01-15 18:07:42

Gederian

GreatShawn wrote:

I honestly have no idea what it means by "Chance to use: 20% (Last use is 100%)" (Usually on tools). So maybe you can either explain that or change it so people can understand.

This is how things like an ax breaking is calculated. Every use has a 20% chance for it to transition into a more broken ax where the last use is guaranteed that it will break. If I recall, each tool has four transitions before they break so you're guaranteed four uses and up to unlimited.

If you look at the tools you'll notice they start cracking in the transitions to let you know the end is near.

#17 2019-01-15 19:12:06

Dodge

Would be cool if we had an easy access to all the OHOL graphics data, like number of players per day/week/month and at what hours, number of old age deaths etc

#18 2019-01-15 19:37:35

dangergirl713

It would be a timesaver to have a materials list for advance items. I always comb through and make the list myself when I'm looking at the website. It's no biggie though. Thank you for the website. It's a godsend.

#19 2019-01-15 19:39:23

Erudaru

Maybe a time estimate would be helpful.

#20 2019-01-15 22:16:28

ryanb
Website

pein wrote:

can you use the lifelog data to make something nice?

Dodge wrote:

Would be cool if we had an easy access to all the OHOL graphics data, like number of players per day/week/month and at what hours, number of old age deaths etc

I want to keep onetech focused on crafting recipes, but I'll consider a separate tool for browsing this data.

KittyTac wrote:

Make it an option to see the entire tech tree required to make an item instead of just one branch. Because some of us (or at least me) want to see the level of craziness required to make a radio or a car.

This is a cool idea. It would probably take a different type of graph view to represent it well.

mrbah wrote:

I didn't know that you could create a backpack with sheep's wool, because for that I would have to expand the "Show more ways... " tab, so i ended up wasting milkweed for a long time.

This is a good point. I think it would be good to show multiple "How to get" in certain situations. I'll consider the best way to do this.

dangergirl713 wrote:

It would be a timesaver to have a materials list for advance items. I always comb through and make the list myself when I'm looking at the website. It's no biggie though. Thank you for the website. It's a godsend.

Do you mean a list of all natural resources used to craft something? This is a bit tricky because some items (such as tools) are used multiple times and you likely don't need to create those from scratch every time. The recipe page lists all the tools and natural ingredients for crafting something. For example, here is the Diesel Engine. However it isn't perfect since it considers some items as tools which aren't really.

I have a plan for a different style of recipe page which I think will solve a lot of these problems. We'll see.

Erudaru wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by time estimates. There is a "Changes over time" section on each object page which tells you what happens over time.

#21 2019-01-15 23:25:06

betame

Two minor things:

1) For objects with stacking #use sprites (e.g. ax, well), a link to all #use images could help with counting in-game uses. Especially knowing when the last use might be.

2) Individual links to all version histories could be nice (since OneTech is way better than the homepage's 'Update Log'). This could be in the form of a list, or searchable by update name or #, or attached to each object to see all the times it was updated. I sometimes look at the historical balancing of items to get an understanding of changing meta, and veteran confusion/myths.

Thanks for your efforts on this and for asking the community.

Last edited by betame (2019-01-16 00:14:42)

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#22 2019-01-15 23:53:30

ryanb
Website

betame wrote:

1) For objects with stacking #use sprites (e.g. ax, well), a link to all #use images could help with counting in-game uses. Especially knowing when the last use might be.

Currently the last use of an object in a transition shows the proper sprite, but I don't generate any of the in-between sprites. I'll look into adding that.

betame wrote:

2) Individual links to all version histories could be nice (since OneTech is way better than the homepage's 'Update Log'). This could be in the form of a list, or searchable by update name or #, or attached to each object to see all the times it was updated. I sometimes look at the historical balancing of items to get an understanding of changing meta, and veteran confusion/myths.

There is a link to the version the object was created on the object's page, but no way to see where it was updated. I plan to add a change log history for each object in the future. Thanks for the suggestions!

#23 2019-01-16 02:36:23

Erudaru

ryanb wrote:
Erudaru wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by time estimates. There is a "Changes over time" section on each object page which tells you what happens over time.

Yeah that was vague, sorry. I meant a time estimate as in the time that you will spend crafting something (if that can be calculated in some way)... Maybe something in addition to the difficulty level. It says that it's hard to make, but what does that mean? Can I do it in my lifetime?

To help decide if I should even attempt making it or focus on something else that I can finish... Of course it would depend greatly on many factors but it's just an estimate. IDK.

#24 2019-01-16 16:14:47

ryanb
Website

Erudaru wrote:

Yeah that was vague, sorry. I meant a time estimate as in the time that you will spend crafting something (if that can be calculated in some way)... Maybe something in addition to the difficulty level. It says that it's hard to make, but what does that mean? Can I do it in my lifetime?

To help decide if I should even attempt making it or focus on something else that I can finish... Of course it would depend greatly on many factors but it's just an estimate. IDK.

I've actually worked on this a bit to improve the difficulty info. In theory you could estimate how long it takes to find a natural object based on its spawn chance. Then add those two numbers together for each object up the chain. The challenge comes when you need to track reusing objects that you don't need to craft again because otherwise the numbers blow up really quickly.

#25 2019-01-16 19:36:05

mrslax

longer/deeper tech tree

detail info about item like despawn time, pickup age.

Raw mentally list would be nice.

Have like a dashed box for optional items like needle and thread ( where there are many ways of getting it)

Board footer