One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-01 17:47:19

LodiaVDH

Can I get an update on the Nommensen family ? (Story with pics)

Hi guys, a few hours back I was a gen 3 Nommensen. I really liked this town and felt really involved in it's progression. I would like to hear what it has become after I died.

Here's my story : https://imgur.com/a/dPzffdt

Here's my family tree : http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=2633354

Feel free to comment if you recognise yourself also !

#2 2019-01-01 21:33:15

Delate

Re: Can I get an update on the Nommensen family ? (Story with pics)

Yeah I was the Eve of this family, to be fair you had yellow fever every time I came back into the village. Looks like the family died out in generation 16 thanks to a couple of twin griefers (Bobby Nommensen II and Bobby Nommensen II).

Thanks for working as hard as you did on the place.

Also, it serves your little shit of a sister right, I spent the first twenty minutes of my life finding the only place for miles around that had water and she tries to leave? Ha.

#3 2019-01-02 13:22:56

LodiaVDH

Ahah I was so ashamed of myself. I got the fever at least 5 times, they were two swarms right in the way of my soil spot.
Sucks for the griefers but 16 gen isn’t bad !
Poor Rabab haha, jungle isn’t that bad she will know better next time.

You are welcome, I’m happy you saw what happened to your town a litlle after you died.

#4 2019-01-02 17:19:28

pein

got a full jungle for the city, plants berries on the swamp smile)
btw 5 lines of anything acts as a wall for any animal, so in theory you can plant berries straight and stew plants 90 degree to it  and that encloses the city without mosquitoes

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2019-01-02 17:55:21

MultiLife

pein wrote:

got a full jungle for the city, plants berries on the swamp smile)

My gosh, this. I've seen so many settlements with lots of warm biome just ignored and the berries and crops pushed to swamp or green. Like yes it's where water/soil usually is but keeping warm when farming means we can farm with less food consumption, which is just... key to everything basically. Buckets, those things will ease your work with water in the end, but moving a berry farm to warmth later is just impossible. T_T
The worst is when you find an amazing spot as Eve, with a nice warm biome edge for farms, yet your kids and grandkids just waltz away from the awesome area to plant the farm in some cold biome. It huuurts. You can smith and bake in colder areas as fire is always there with food and cloth and floors, but if you want kids to be able to do farm work naked, you need a warm farm for them..

Sorry for the hijack, it's a nice story, OP.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-02 17:59:11)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2019-01-02 18:24:31

CrazyEddie

MultiLife wrote:

The worst is when you find an amazing spot as Eve, with a nice warm biome edge for farms, yet your kids and grandkids just waltz away from the awesome area to plant the farm in some cold biome. It huuurts.

YOU MUST TEACH THEM

You're Eve, it's your responsibility. When I'm Eve, once I find a good spot and start keeping children, I tell each one: "This is our home. We will farm here on the desert where it is warm." Then I show them the closeby ponds: "Water is here." Then I show them the nearby grasslands: "Food, soil, and wood are here." I do this while I'm holding them as babies-in-arms.

Whenever I do this, they make the farm on the desert without me having to do anything else! Even if I'm completely busy simply feeding children and taking care of the essentials, they will take the initiative and start farming in the right place.

You can spend nearly half your life as an Eve searching for a good spot. Take the extra time you need with each child to ensure they understand why you chose the spot you did.

Your spot is your legacy.

#7 2019-01-02 19:05:45

MultiLife

CrazyEddie wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

The worst is when you find an amazing spot as Eve, with a nice warm biome edge for farms, yet your kids and grandkids just waltz away from the awesome area to plant the farm in some cold biome. It huuurts.

YOU MUST TEACH THEM

You're Eve, it's your responsibility. When I'm Eve, once I find a good spot and start keeping children, I tell each one: "This is our home. We will farm here on the desert where it is warm." Then I show them the closeby ponds: "Water is here." Then I show them the nearby grasslands: "Food, soil, and wood are here." I do this while I'm holding them as babies-in-arms.

Whenever I do this, they make the farm on the desert without me having to do anything else! Even if I'm completely busy simply feeding children and taking care of the essentials, they will take the initiative and start farming in the right place.

You can spend nearly half your life as an Eve searching for a good spot. Take the extra time you need with each child to ensure they understand why you chose the spot you did.

Your spot is your legacy.

Lol, I do. Don't assume. Usually it happens so that the players say they are not new and I go to get branches, then come back to see them tilling in green. I tell them where to farm, but sometimes that happens after you, the Eve, has died - you thought you gave clear instructions but players along the line don't get that message, unless they are experienced with farm expansion and know themselves which way to expand and which way not to.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-01-02 19:06:51)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#8 2019-01-02 20:59:37

LodiaVDH

pein wrote:

got a full jungle for the city, plants berries on the swamp smile

When will we be good enough for you pein !

MultiLife wrote:

Sorry for the hijack, it's a nice story, OP.

Thanks for the feed back, really liked doing it. And don't apologise, what you both said is actually quite interresting and useful. I never think about prioritizing warmth. I always tries to put berries the closest to water to make sure it's truly the easiest job like it's supposed to be. Or else kiddos might quit doing it and the town is dead.
There was a biiiiiig space right above the forge (still in the jungle) and I guess next time it's like this I'll do the farm here, haha.

#9 2019-01-02 21:55:04

Delate

Yeah I suppose I can take the blame for the farm placement in this. I didn't even pay the slightest bit of attention to what was going on with the farming. We had a huge amount of bananas available so the only thing I told people was to make the farm before they ran out. That would also be why your mother asked you to get bananas as I gave her that same job when she was young.

Hah this is absolutely fascinating for me honestly. Never thought I'd see one of my own villages. Thank you sincerely for the story.

#10 2019-01-03 11:13:52

LodiaVDH

Delate wrote:

Hah this is absolutely fascinating for me honestly. Never thought I'd see one of my own villages. Thank you sincerely for the story.

I’m always taking pics in my lives, I must have like 67 folders of those. Narrating one of them was super fun and didn’t take long. I’m thinking about doing it more and maybe make another Eve’s day!

#11 2019-01-03 13:47:29

lowdt

i dont know man... about the "you must teach them" this game requieres two buttons to be played and you have one essential enemy  "the hunger".. and hunger depends on your temperatur.. idk what do we have to "teach them"? i think we need "JasonRohrer/CharlesDarvin meme" instead of more teachers :---[] but thats my opinion. i usually kill people who make mistakes twice infront of my eyes. because of reasons.. (yes i would remove every high voltage warnings and basically every warning in the world...) we dont need stupidity in humans

#12 2019-01-03 16:24:37

CrazyEddie

LodiaVDH - That was a great slideshow! Thanks for sharing. I like your sense of humor. smile

#13 2019-01-03 19:14:02

LodiaVDH

CrazyEddie wrote:

I like your sense of humor. smile

Best compliment I can ever receive. I love you now

#14 2019-01-04 01:22:39

pein

its not that hard, just start it, just think, just change

see too many people?
take a basket and put a bowl, a berry seed in it, a skewer
find a jungle or desert with closeby pond, plant one berry, check back in 12 min

see bushes outside the group? dont fix them
put boards around it when is 3 wide, space out before, or if see someone digging out, dont fix the column/row
optimize until perfect, then you can forget it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer