One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-27 19:45:19

CrazyEddie

Reviving Dead Towns

This is gameplay that Jason didn't even know existed until a few days ago, but it's fairly common and quite well-known among the players. And it's about to go away.

In short - from time to time, you might spawn as an Eve into a town which died quite some time ago, and then your task is to bring it back to life from whatever state it was in. This is a different challenge than any other faced in the game. It's very different from building a camp from nothing, which is the usual Eve task, and it's very different from keeping a developed town going, which is the usual born-as-a-child task.

I think it would be a shame to lose this honestly quite interesting scenario.

Jason: Now that you have fixed the bug which caused this to happen accidentally, could you please consider deliberately adding a mechanism which would allow this to happen from time to time?

#2 2018-12-27 19:56:28

Kinrany

Re: Reviving Dead Towns

It would be nice to make it possible and profitable to visit and explore ghost towns.

(See also spider infestations in ruins and more opportunities to explore ruins reddit threads.)

#3 2018-12-27 20:27:37

CrazyEddie

Kinrany wrote:

It would be nice to make it possible and profitable to visit and explore ghost towns.

I think this has always been within Jason's vision. He once said: "Eve is supposed to feel like a fresh start, with maybe a small chance of stumbling into the ruins of a past civilization, or eventually bumping up against a living, neighboring civilization."

The "small chance" has been higher than he thought it would be due to a bug in the Eve placement algorithm. But now it's going to be "no chance" because he's fixed the bug.

Interesting, but those seem very unlikely to be considered. I think the feature I'm asking for - basically, to keep things as they have been for the past year, at least a little bit - is a much more reasonable request.

#4 2018-12-27 20:35:11

Gabby

It was a very interesting thing to do indeed. The other day, I spawned as an Eve in a town that seemed to have "half-despawned". It was so weird. There were berries all over the place forming no discerning pattern, several sheep around the same area but with no pen around them, some more secondary tools that are usually made later while priority tools like axe and shovel were nowhere to be found, there were even two bowls full of sterile pads that we found when I cut down some trees (as if the trees grew where it used to be a hospital). It was a weird life, but a fun one.

I tried to organize it the best I could to help my kids move forward. It was funny how everybody that was born there was like "wtf happened" and "why everything is everywhere".

Last edited by Gabby (2018-12-27 20:36:39)

Be nice to the mouflon

#5 2018-12-27 23:22:07

MultiLife

I thought it was sweet how the Eve players could help each other by reviving the dead towns of other Eves, who maybe didn't get to live to 60. It made me feel like the Eve lives were connected in a way, we, as a team, would be bringing up towns for each other, so they wouldn't fade away.

No more. sad
It's all "me and my town, me and my lineage" now.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-27 23:22:57)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2018-12-28 06:58:25

lionon

It would be nice to have some in game mechanic to detect lost cities and run/ride/drive there.

radar? Dunno...

#7 2018-12-28 15:27:04

pein

no offense but maybe 5% of whole playerbase knows to be marginally useful in reviving towns, i even seen me born gen 4 and 0 compost made, 0 new wells made, 0 buckets made, people just talked wearing the clothes left there between the broken baskets

its really just basket making and cleaning up for 60 min to make it run 9 gens, its not like that op, most babies suicide out anyway

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-12-28 17:25:50

CrazyEddie

It's still a different experience, and for some people the game is about the experience, not strictly about getting a high score. It would be a shame to lose that opportunity.

Board footer