One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-15 10:20:30

lionon

Suggestion: (partial) bucket of water + dry planted [whatever] = wet

(partial) bucket of water + dry planted [whatever] = (partial bucket of water/empty bucket - 1 use) + wet planted [whatever].

I suppose one should be able to spill the necessary water of a bucket to directly water planted crops. Would make life a little easier.

Unless of course there are more farmers than buckets available instruct them to use the conventional method using bowls as intermediary container.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-15 10:28:30)

#2 2018-12-15 10:48:58

pein

Re: Suggestion: (partial) bucket of water + dry planted [whatever] = wet

it's a container, basically a bowl is also a container and a bowl of water too
so it's a container in a container

you cannot go 2 steps in 1 step

same reason he made the cistern hold buckets, not bowls of water, cause then filling it would need bowls, it cannot convert inbetween

so it wont happen
also if you played early , we made wells everywhere we wanted and water wasn't an issue, even with ponds depleting they generated enough
so a lot of ponds were better than a well, anda lot f shallow wells were better than a deep, all of em used bowls and pouches just the regenwas different
to tackle this, i suggested water deposits and upgrade items
to make wells better, they should have a feature that allows something that ponds don't, this way the upgrade is really an upgrade

he kinda dumbed down, made the ponds the only deposits of water, and buckets as a portable water source
which is nerf to cisterns but we wake cisterns for others convenience that they can just have water nearby

i guess motor wells could have barrels? not sure what would use so much water

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-12-15 17:32:14

lionon

pein wrote:

it's a container, basically a bowl is also a container and a bowl of water too
so it's a container in a container.

you cannot go 2 steps in 1 step

Sorry this is IMO nonsense in multiple ways. It's not a container, it's an item with uses and in case of bowl and waterpouch mapped to category "portable water source".

OneLifeData7$ git diff categories/394.txt 
diff --git a/categories/394.txt b/categories/394.txt
index 474b9fcf..1debe714 100644
--- a/categories/394.txt
+++ b/categories/394.txt
@@ -1,4 +1,6 @@
 parentID=394
-numObjects=2
+numObjects=4
\ No newline at end of file
+382
+660
+1099
OneLifeData7$ 

If I define bucket of water and partial bucket of water it works already!

Mostly. It works with partial buckets of water with more than 1 use left, and it does reduce the amount of water in the bucket! However out of some reason I cant yet use the bucket with 1 use left (which would turn it into an empty bucket) and also the full bucket stays full making it an infinite water source, which also not desired.

I suppose there is still 2 transitions missing for this to work directly on the bucket?

Honestly I don't understand the system fully, yet.

But unless I'm missing something big, I don't see why this shouldn't work with minimal changes.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-15 18:04:38)

#4 2018-12-15 18:11:16

lionon

OneLifeData7$ cat transitions/1099_-1.txt
659 0 0

And with this file the last use of partial bucket to empty bucket works as well.

Just need to figure out full bucket to partial bucket now.

#5 2018-12-15 18:18:36

lionon

OneLifeData7$ cat transitions/660_-1.txt
1099 0 0

And works just similar. Unless I broke something which I'm not aware of, any issues with this?

Shall I make it a git pull request?

#6 2018-12-15 20:31:23

lionon

Tested it further, nope, broke, while it works fine with crops, now bowl with water + partial bucket with water (1 use) = empty bucket.

Dang!

#7 2018-12-16 05:00:42

Glassius

I've just posted in on Reddit as suggestion

pein wrote:

so it wont happen

Buckets and cisterns are not containers. They have uses, just like shovel. People were dying in this game, because they were unable to water plants with bucket. It is grotesque and drama, but should not be possible. Using a bucket would just trigger a transition. But Jason would need to add transition to every object using bowl of water and pouch with water to make it work the same way.

A completely different thing is using cistern with bowl and bucket. Jason would need to apply below formulas, most possible changing the engine:
partial bucket with x uses + water cistern with y uses    ->    partial bucket with x+min(y, 10-x) uses    +    water cistern with y-min(y, 10-x) uses
empty bucket    +    water cistern with y uses    ->    partiall bucket with min(y, 10) uses    +    water cistern with y-min(y, 10) uses
full bucket    +    cistern with y uses    ->    empty bucket    +    cistern with x+min(y+10, 100) uses
full bucket    +    empty cistern    ->    empty bucket    +    cistern with 10 uses
bowl with water    +    cistern with y    ->    mepty bowl    +    cistern with y+1 uses
bowl with water    +    empty cistern    ->    empty bowl    +    cistern with 1 uses

And also immediate transitions below
partial bucket with 10 uses    ->    Full bucket of water
bucket with 0 of uses    ->    empty bucket of water
cistern with 100 uses    ->    full cistern
cistern with 0 uses    ->    empty cistern

This engine change would make cisterns much more valuable, are they would be possible to use even without buckets.

Last edited by Glassius (2018-12-16 05:05:15)

#8 2018-12-16 07:40:25

pein

understand it correctly, basically he wants to use chances and uses, so you cannot convert between buckets and bowls so easily, and it seems the engine wont handle conversions either without modification
i had already tried on the github
as i told that cisterns should work with bowls as it would make more sense to have a big store of water, and cisterns would be a nice design addition too
for most of planned farms

his answer was :
"'Well, the problem is that the cistern can either store BOWLS of water or BUCKETS of water. It can't do both. The engine only supports one unit. So, for example, you couldn't put in 10 bowls of water and then later take out one bucket. The cistern isn't actually tracking water at all. It's tracking "uses," just like a berry bush. So it has 10 uses. Those uses currently each allow a bucket to be taken out.

The cistern could go back to storing bowls of water. But then you'd need to bring a bucket over and hand-transfer 10 bowls into the cistern.

The idea, for your suggested design, would be to leave a bucket near the cistern for this purpose. I know it takes up an extra tile.""

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-12-16 07:56:02

lionon

pein wrote:

"'Well, the problem is that the cistern can either store BOWLS of water or BUCKETS of water. It can't do both. "

This is correct, however a bucket contains bowls of water as units. (this doesn't have to do with "container" tough).

The thing is, one could change the cistern to hold units as "bowls of water" and a bucket taking out multiple at once, however that would require a code/engine change as I don't think there is anything in the engine right now that makes one transition to multiple uses on the target object.

Buckets on soil should work tough... I just didn't yet get it 100% correctly. The details of transition object/category/engine as it is are a little hard to understand... at least for me.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-16 07:57:17)

#10 2018-12-16 11:17:17

Glassius

I think a multi uses transitions may be a viable new engine mechanics. Possible uses:
1. Combining stacks of plate, bowl and buckets
2. Fast filling bowl of berries by using a bowl, both empty and partly filled, on berry bush

#11 2018-12-16 11:42:59

pein

if your idea starts with change the engine than is a bad idea, aint gonna happen
sometimes he listens and adds his own spin to it, generally simplify and weirdify a bit

he got the right touch in some stuff, like the mallet on the fences
and some part is to teach people how to do it, not that hard to farm with bowls, baskets and buckets
the rest is more rare
if  you want to use it to your advantage, you can still do stuff like putting carrots on a grave, that prevents noobs ruining a cycle
or making board roads to stop berry lane
if it makes sense it will become meta instead of stupid stuff that makes only sense to noobs, a bucket is more convenient than a fixed well, you can still terraform places or use up wild soil for ropes for example

im not telling that im an expert on it
basically what he says is the input and output needs to be the same to allow working both ways, so if you want to use buckets as input then you need to use it as output as well, based on this logic, bowls could be put back as well, the uses increased to 90 instead of 9 and track that uses and allow different numbers like 46 or 59, some things got size limits to improve server speed

there is, mango uses 10 water, one bucket, its still multiple uses
and would allow wasting water from buckets pouring into adobe walls over and over

maybe a bucket could be 8 uses, than the cistern could have 8 sides having 1 water released into built in bowls at once, kinda upgraded cistern? quite a lot of state changes and maybe hard to realize for some how to empty all sides so it releases the next charge, so maybe the system would take clockwise the next bowl, and then when all empty it would release the next bucket of water, if you get what i mean, not sure if possible or practical enough

Last edited by pein (2018-12-16 11:47:51)

#12 2018-12-16 11:45:07

lionon

pein wrote:

if your idea starts with change the engine than is a bad idea, aint gonna happen

Sorry, you misunderstood. Bowls on cisterns would need an engine change. Buckets on soil as far I get it not since buckets have units of bowls of water in them as use count.

But since I don't have the system fully working yet,  I cant be sure tough.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-16 11:45:54)

#13 2018-12-16 14:28:34

jinbaili83

Mabye adding watering can that gets filled with bucket and can be used only on plants would make it simplier.

#14 2018-12-17 05:32:32

pein

jinbaili83 wrote:

Mabye adding watering can that gets filled with bucket and can be used only on plants would make it simplier.

ssame thing, input and output must be the same, maybe a machine that does just like that, dumps water one by one from a bucket into a new container

#15 2018-12-17 05:52:08

wio

I like the watering can idea. It could work just like Tank of Kerosene, but it can be used in the bowl of water transitions.

Board footer