One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-13 21:50:49

Tarr
Banned

Tarr's breeding machines

Ever have the issue of your little girls dying when you aren't looking? Ever just wanted to make sure you'll have grand kids? Ask no more. I bring you Tarr's birthing machines. Once a baby girl is placed within the machine the only possible way to escape is for someone to pick them up. We'll be using the ability to pick up children in the machine to our advantage as we'll be needing a way to retrieve wanted babies from the center.

Basically due to the latest update newcommen machine bases block a tile to the right if them and because when trapped on an impassible object you must walk forward to get out you can entrap people in these sorts of cells. Basically the blocks to her left and right aren't removable so I am able to entrap women for birthing children while no one can release her from the cell.

7qdbHLi.jpg
G3wqHUj.jpg

Here is how we expand the machines out when we know our livestock is starting to get old. The old mother will slowly starve out while the baby starts to grow up in its own cell.

Shout out to Pein for discovering the newcommen machine blocks blocking spaces. Without this I wouldn't have been inspired to attempt to make these machines. Unfortunately this doesn't actually work with livestock so you can only trap people in these sorts of machines.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-12-13 22:01:25)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2018-12-13 22:14:05

MultiLife

Re: Tarr's breeding machines

Oh wow. So this is why more than one tile blocking things are not common. They all must be made passable.
Would sting to be stuck there, even if it's just an hour; that hour might be your only free one for the night.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2018-12-13 22:20:21

Tarr
Banned

MultiLife wrote:

Oh wow. So this is why more than one tile blocking things are not common. They all must be made passable.
Would sting to be stuck there, even if it's just an hour; that hour might be your only free one for the night.

Pretty sure you can swap to another server while your body stays comatose on the original server. I made sure to explain to the person trapped they were stuck and had the option to afk or swap servers.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2018-12-13 22:58:36

CrazyEddie

This is the most evil thing I've seen in this game to date.

Kudos.

#5 2018-12-13 23:24:56

Tarr
Banned

As with all things I've done a bit of refinement to the cells. I've used adobe to allow for cell wall removable so each pen can be reused in the future for more breeding stock.  Also due to how the cells work it is possible to practice population control as the only escape is adobe wall removal (in case of reusable cells) or the child being picked back up. In the following picture the right cell is better in the case of your breeder attempted to starve itself out by picking up children (the child when placed north or south is able to run away from trapped mommy).

I'll do a little more work on figuring better cell structures out for future use.

RCmxIYu.jpg

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2018-12-13 23:27:52

Tarr
Banned

CrazyEddie wrote:

This is the most evil thing I've seen in this game to date.

Kudos.

To be fair I try to find afk people to put in these things unless someone decides they actually want to be a human cow. At least in the case of the afk person I'm able to produce children without harming their ability to play normally. Otherwise people end up having to swap off of server one to play or they'll be stuck watching me feed them.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-12-13 23:50:48

SirCaio

The mad scientist is back at it with the crazy contraptions!

#8 2018-12-14 05:54:04

Tarr
Banned

I'm pretty sure at the very least four newcomen blocks are required as having any sort of free space to the north allows someone to walk out diagonally. Having the middle empty allows for babies to escape out of either side of the pen should their mother attempt to suicide viable baby feeding.

On the south side of the newcomen pen design you don't need any sort of blocking items as when standing on an impassible object (while surrounded) the only way you can walk to escape is north. This is why the current pen design works for trapping other players.

Edit: Also it seems animals can walk in and outside of the human pens. Seems rather weird how animals can sort of decide to walk in and out while humans remain stuck.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-12-14 06:59:42)

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2018-12-14 08:13:02

lionon

Ya, I had a similar idea of lock-em-up-breeding to save endangered lineages. Albeit I wouldn't have done it so clever as Tarr but simply put them in a room.

At the same time, this is so wrong and immoral on so many levels...

#10 2018-12-14 13:18:55

Tarr
Banned

lionon wrote:

Ya, I had a similar idea of lock-em-up-breeding to save endangered lineages. Albeit I wouldn't have done it so clever as Tarr but simply put them in a room.

At the same time, this is so wrong and immoral on so many levels...

I make sure to pamper anyone who is placed into a cell as their discomfort would be cruel. I make sure they have company within earshot so they can talk to each other and personally sit around to talk to our breeders. I've tried out the cells with release walls (Once they hit 40 you can safely release them out into the town instead of starving them/continuing to feed until old age) but that normally ends up with me dead before they're released.

I'd like to remind everyone I do explain the situation to the players in the cells "You can either afk and I'll take care of you or play on server two/three if you'd like a normal life." It's less about trying to ruin someones game as it is a way to prevent a lineage dying out to bad players.

If I end up attempting to put you in a cell just say Q and I'll personally pull you out as I know you're better off helping town than being stuck in the cell.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2018-12-14 13:33:21

fatalwolf

This is brilliant.

Buff fishing

#12 2018-12-14 15:18:49

CrazyEddie

It's less about trying to ruin someones game as it is a way to prevent a lineage dying out to bad players.

Oh wait, you're serious.

Let me laugh even harder.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2018-12-14 15:19:45)

#13 2018-12-14 15:22:35

CrazyEddie

To be perfectly clear - this is exactly about trying to ruin someone else's game. It doesn't matter that ruining someone else's game is merely a side-effect of trying to serve your own selfish interests. What you are doing is wrong. It is selfish. It is destructive of other people's legitimate desires to play the game.

It is evil. Not just in-game, but in real life.

The fact that it's brilliant simply means that you are an evil genius. I can perversely admire something this warped and twisted. It's good for a laugh.

But you're still a bad person. Don't do this.

Last edited by CrazyEddie (2018-12-14 15:24:00)

#14 2018-12-14 19:51:59

Dodge

Tarr wrote:

Edit: Also it seems animals can walk in and outside of the human pens. Seems rather weird how animals can sort of decide to walk in and out while humans remain stuck.

It actually makes sense you can place objects on that tile like baskets or wathever and animals are technically objects so if the tile is free they can go there

#15 2018-12-14 20:06:31

lionon

Tarr wrote:

human pens.

Haha just that term alone.

#16 2018-12-14 20:41:46

WalrusesConquer

I think my favorite moment recently was when this girl was inside a room and tried to make a door. It became a box instead.

Passing bowls of berries through we had a human zoo!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#17 2018-12-14 22:58:21

Booklat1

can the person escape by mounting a horse entering the prison?

#18 2018-12-15 00:50:04

Tarr
Banned

Booklat1 wrote:

can the person escape by mounting a horse entering the prison?

Pretty sure a horse won't allow escape due to how standing on an impassible object while surrounded works. Basically for whatever reason the game will only let you walk north off an object (graves, adobe bases, etc) so unless you can force a player south into an open tile or up north one more tile (where we have free tiles to walk to) it would seem prisons are pretty secure.

Edit: Yeah horse was tested and like I thought can't be used to escape a prison. They only way for someone to escape is via being picked up as a child or force displaced which off the top of my head I have no idea how to force displace someone from an "empty" tile.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-12-17 23:10:05)

fug it’s Tarr.

#19 2018-12-17 15:48:55

janitor

Amazing Tarr!

#20 2018-12-17 21:20:47

Sasooli

This is amazing!

To be honest I kind of like the idea of being put in this and seeing how much help I can be to the village just through coordinating people: zoom out as far as practical, ask people to report to me when they find resources or need something, and I'll pass on the info / request to others when they come near. Of course you can do that without being trapped in a box, but there will always be the temptation to get your hands dirty yourself. Being forced to contribute only through speaking seems like an interesting challenge (at least for one lifetime!).

#21 2018-12-17 23:13:14

Tarr
Banned

Sasooli wrote:

This is amazing!

To be honest I kind of like the idea of being put in this and seeing how much help I can be to the village just through coordinating people: zoom out as far as practical, ask people to report to me when they find resources or need something, and I'll pass on the info / request to others when they come near. Of course you can do that without being trapped in a box, but there will always be the temptation to get your hands dirty yourself. Being forced to contribute only through speaking seems like an interesting challenge (at least for one lifetime!).

They make for a pretty good town center point as someone always has to be around to tend to anyone within the prison system. One of my lineages even treated the cells like a daycare area where they tended to all the children along with the cellmates. It can definitely make for some fun situations and cells can be configured to have exits should you want to release people at any point in the process.

fug it’s Tarr.

#22 2018-12-18 11:10:53

pein

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#23 2018-12-18 14:43:29

Tarr
Banned

pein wrote:

That's a pretty solid idea. I think it's best to just leave the bottom hole open as anyone who puts a kid inside is damning the kid to starve to death. Have you thought about installing a one-way door on the east instead of a lock? I know it's a bit of a hassle as the only way to close the door/open it is through the use of a child but it prevents any solo player from breaking in by themselves.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Kidnapping!  Imprisonment!

Well, not sure about twins.... I have thought about curses applying to both of them together.  But that's a separate issue, for now.

Thinking back to when talking to Jason about cursing groups (twins/trips/quads) he ended up spouting that line and it inspired me. I'm not going to imprison anyone besides groups. With the rise of group griefers again I can kill two birds with one stone. I'll be trapping twins+ until Jason either decides to add a group curse function or newcomen blocks get fixed.

fug it’s Tarr.

#24 2018-12-18 16:54:47

CrazyEddie

Tarr wrote:

I'll be trapping twins+ until Jason either decides to add a group curse function or newcomen blocks get fixed.

You just keep topping yourself.

Don't do this. You're preemptively destroying the game for people who have a legitimate and developer-supported use case, simply because of your perception that some unknown proportion of them are "griefers" - which, in your mind, is barely distinguishable from "new at the game".

Don't do this.

#25 2018-12-19 08:06:48

pein

if people suicide when others die, then twin/trip/quad girls are worse than boys, and bad anyway as they eat food all that time, and that would be enough for others
also only newbee moms keep them, and they too anal about them and they wont teach anything if they are new

tarr, depends what you store and why
but yeah, can be viable, a grave just a cheap door and a kid can open it from inside and let you in, but closing from inside is still needs to have the player inside or go trough a door
while its a bigger room, and you doing something, a one way door can be good just to go out and fetch resources

just as the key in the room thing, this could be a way to give veterans useful stuff, newbies would waste, like rope, sheep food, carrots, weapons, pack, stuff you need to restart a city safely, and its ok to die inside at 60 and have an exploit not everyone knows to enter there

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer