One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-13 16:32:52

thundersen

Pssst. Next Update. SPOILER WARNING!

What's next? Cars or nuclear water pumps?

koqxcbA.png

#2 2018-12-13 16:38:48

Tea

Re: Pssst. Next Update. SPOILER WARNING!

But that's not everything right ? I mean, it's not the full picture right, cause ... I don't see fathers, dark skinned lady or ginger boy mentioned in there.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#3 2018-12-13 16:42:42

lionon

Pessimistic guess, in the end it will just nerf the newcomen pump with kerosine once again and make the techtree yet more complicated to get on the equivalence of current efficiency...

#4 2018-12-13 17:16:26

Booklat1

lionon wrote:

Pessimistic guess, in the end it will just nerf the newcomen pump with kerosine once again and make the techtree yet more complicated to get on the equivalence of current efficiency...

That's very damn likely. Either this or make diesel much more efficient and have some other uses. Maybe even add upgraded versions on some of the other machines.

Tech just for the sake of tech is boring and Jason knows this, hopefully when he's layed the groundwork well enough we'll start branching on oil techtree. I still think we could've gotten more steam technology actually, so it'd would really feel like different villages were progressing as a whole.

#5 2018-12-13 17:39:49

CrazyEddie

So we're roughly one year into the roughly three years of content that Jason has promised us, and we're already at lathes and IC engines.

At this pace we're gonna hit atomic powered robots before we're halfway done!

#6 2018-12-13 17:47:12

CrazyEddie

Hopefully as the tech advances and the tree expands Jason will find ways to balance the whole thing so that surviving at every level is always a challenge.

Right now start-up is hard, but once you hit a certain level it's nearly foolproof (I say "nearly" because the way most lineages die (besides infertility) is through foolishness - fools are not to be underestimated).

I think this is what Jason had his eye on with the iron nerf, although I don't think that quite did what he wanted. It made start-up harder without really affecting the long run. Getting the balance right will require a lot more than just tinkering with iron levels. And, of course, I'm sure Jason knows this.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he does next.

#7 2018-12-13 18:26:07

ryanb
Website

Balancing a finished game is really difficult as-is. I can’t imagine trying to balance a game at each stage it is evolving. I expect there to be more “nerf existing tech to make room for better tech” balancing in the future, at least for some of the updates.

The past update allows us to produce more water without a need to consume more water. Once we get a need to use more water it will balance itself out without needing to nerf older tech.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#8 2018-12-13 19:56:39

pein

he wants to strengthen some parts of the game, this means it feels unfinished and wont make sense until kerozene gets more uses, but i think is ok

iron its a bit too stee with the 8 initial iron for a mine not including shovels and hoes which is kinda essential if you got other stuff, making it after the mine would mean no pen or no adobe gathered and much harder farming

ideally you would need hammer, axe, shovel, hoe so minimum 4 iron
then some for the mine
we already treid but lose iron decrease isnt a good change, some cities never get trough that phase as it needs someone who finds a vein and prioritizes the stanchion kit before all the bullshit triple hoes and multiple useless tools

i can see some potential in regenerating some iron each generation or so
kinda boring to do every life the gathering of iron just to see people wasting it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-12-13 22:15:21

thundersen

#10 2018-12-13 22:26:32

ryanb
Website

I've made a live version of onetech.info to show the latest unreleased changes:

https://edge.onetech.info/

Crude Car: https://edge.onetech.info/2396-Running-Crude-Car
Diesel Water Pump: https://edge.onetech.info/2390-Wet-Diesel-Water-Pump

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#11 2018-12-13 23:04:22

CrazyEddie

OMG he really is making the Flintstones car!

#12 2018-12-14 02:27:20

denriguez

Ten bucks this has all been a giant social experiment and we destroy the fictional planet with fossil fuel emissions before we get to atomic powered robots. Soon we'll start to see ice biomes receding, ponds becoming fewer and emptying faster, mouflon herds shrinking, grassland temps becoming uncomfortable even naked, desert temps becoming outright deadly.

But we'll be riding in our gas-powered Flintstones cars, running over snakes like "beep beep, bitches!"

#13 2018-12-15 14:00:57

karltown_veteran

thundersen wrote:

What's next? Cars or nuclear water pumps?

https://i.imgur.com/koqxcbA.png

OOOOoo. Is he going to end us with nuclear bombs?

Unrelated. Just curious.
Methinks we should be praying harder to Lord Jason. The end creeps closer.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#14 2018-12-15 21:59:55

Sakkiyn

The problem is he has ponds ...no rivers or lakes, upon which all ancient cities were founded, no seas for fishing and ships.

If we had rivers we would have windmills. The first basic machine. But he just skips reality and makes magical babies spawning from virgins, and skips many thousands of years of human civilization, too much like work I guess. This game is going nowhere at warp speed, "Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life in OHOL."

#15 2018-12-15 22:10:55

lionon

Sakkiyn wrote:

If we had rivers we would have windmills.

Windmills use wind and do not require a river, what you mean is a watermill.

Dunno what the first "machine" was, depends on how you define the term "machine" tough. Pretty much gray area on the lower end.

#16 2018-12-16 03:21:41

Starknight_One

lionon wrote:
Sakkiyn wrote:

If we had rivers we would have windmills.

Windmills use wind and do not require a river, what you mean is a watermill.

Dunno what the first "machine" was, depends on how you define the term "machine" tough. Pretty much gray area on the lower end.

No, there's no gray area. Simple machines are those which are used to make more complex (or 'compound') machines. The most probable first machine discovery was the lever... although the inclined plane and wedge are also strong contenders. smile A 'simple machine' takes a single applied force and transforms or magnifies it through mechanical advantage to apply to a single load force.

In all, there are 6 simple machines:

Lever
Inclined plane
Wheel and axle
Wedge
Pulley
Screw

(Honestly, I disagree with a few of these. The wheel and axle should be two tools, not one, and the screw is a second-stage machine, being an inclined plane wrapped around an axle... but I digress.)

Any compound machine is made up of a number of simple machines. Break a bicycle, or a diesel engine, down to its component parts, and you'll have any number of the simple machines above to play with.

Board footer