One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-13 09:39:49

Sigurd

/die problem

Good day, friends. I would like to discuss such an opportunity as / die.
In my opinion it seriously harms the atmosphere of the game.
Perhaps you should disable this command on one of the official servers or change the mechanics of character birth? What do you think about this?
Sorry for my english.

#2 2018-12-13 09:42:36

Lum

Re: /die problem

Definitely doesn't ruin it as much as seeing a baby run around taunting the village until it dies or running away with very clear suicidal thoughts. Those are much stranger ways to deal with suicide babies.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#3 2018-12-13 09:46:32

Sigurd

Lum wrote:

Definitely doesn't ruin it as much as seeing a baby run around taunting the village until it dies or running away with very clear suicidal thoughts. Those are much stranger ways to deal with suicide babies.

Perhaps it is worth toughening the punishment for such actions or giving a choice of Eva / or not?

#4 2018-12-13 10:03:48

lionon

My idea to workaround this was to have a "pregnancy" delay before being born that both the child and the mother can terminate to avoid dead babies (either by suicide or by "infantcide" by the mother)

Otherwise it is a mechanic that needs to be there to the gamificated nature of things. If people can't /die they will just suicide and potentially mutliple times in a lineage they just don't want to be part of.

One bigger caveat with the current system is that you need to be in the arms of your mother to /die, I don't know why. Sometimes I just type it and wait to be picked up to be able to hit enter... no already 1 year of age? Too late, need to run onto the next icesheet....

#5 2018-12-13 10:04:18

Sigurd

Or even better! Keep statistics on the number of early deaths. And give priority to children. Then those bad people that often / die will get such bad people as his heirs.

#6 2018-12-13 10:08:29

lionon

I don't see how people who /die are bad.

The mother is specifically not punished for this.

In contrast the people that don't know of this command and suicide right away are bad, because the mother is taken a birth.

#7 2018-12-13 10:11:50

Sigurd

lionon wrote:

I don't see how people who /die are bad.

The mother is specifically not punished for this.

In contrast the people that don't know of this command and suicide right away are bad, because the mother is taken a birth.

But it would be much more pleasant if the born child continued to play, and did not die after 10 seconds in your arms.

#8 2018-12-13 10:14:07

lionon

Sigurd wrote:

But it would be much more pleasant if the born child continued to play, and did not die after 10 seconds in your arms.

Yes of course it would be more pleasant, but without /die or punishing /die the child would just run into the next boar or run off to poke as many bear caves it can find... I don't see the benefit of your suggestion given the reality, there is a human in front of a screen that doesn't want to play this life of this mother in this lineage...

#9 2018-12-13 11:20:07

Dodge

Forcing someone to be in a village that he doesn't want to be in, that totally sounds like a good idea and he will definitly not start to grief the town tongue

If you REALLY want to prevent your babies from using /die then just make a baby pen and feed them berries XD

Or better make a whole enclosed town with locked doors no weapons and without anything else but a large stock of food preferably in a jungle for perfect temp and force feed them so they cant die lol

You can farm girls this way, and either free the boys to go work and feed the girls or let them die

#10 2018-12-13 11:22:03

Korilian

I don’t see the point of punishing this behaviour. You can’t force people to spend an hour playing if they don’t want to. I never kill myself, but that’s because I like the dynamic of having to work with what you’re given.

#11 2018-12-13 12:13:43

MultiLife

I have /died once. My Eve mom said "Sorry, I'm gonna kill myself" and stood in snow, holding me. Pah, I /died outta there, she can sit in snow by herself (I know I'd have made the process faster for her but a quitter like that can deal with their decision on their own).

But yes you cannot, CANNOT, force a human being to play a life they do not want. They will disconnect, suicide, run, poke bears, grief, they'll do whatever to get themselves out from a life they don't want. Before we got /die, babies just ran off to die, got born to same moms again and again and put all those moms on cooldowns every time they'd respawn. The mothers suffered from this. Now the /die won't punish mothers as it doesn't slap them with a birth cooldown.

I also suggested a choice to go Eve but Jason hates that idea, and fears too many would select to go Eve. Shrug to that.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-12-13 12:34:28)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#12 2018-12-13 12:31:45

Sasooli

lionon wrote:

One bigger caveat with the current system is that you need to be in the arms of your mother to /die, I don't know why. Sometimes I just type it and wait to be picked up to be able to hit enter... no already 1 year of age? Too late, need to run onto the next icesheet....

It's also annoying from the mother's point of view: if you're travelling while carrying stuff, notice a baby appear behind you, run back, drop your basket/whatever, grab the baby - and it dies. It would be a lot less disruptive if the baby just /died before you did all that.

On the other hand, at least requiring it to be in your hands means it's pretty clear what happens, that the player chose to /die and didn't just starve or something. Maybe that's the reasoning behind it? On the whole I feel like it would be better if they could /die even while not being held though.

#13 2018-12-13 16:15:20

Fae

Wait a moment...there are really people upset over /die? Especially when it doesn't penalize the mother? As other people have said you CAN'T force a player to want to play in the town you have. Would you rather them just go and wake a bear or just run off, suicide, and you have to wait longer to bear a child?

I understand you can't please everybody, but I am a little baffled here. This appears to be the best option for somebody who doesn't want to be in the town (for whatever reason they have) and not in up messing with the mother's birth cooldown.

#14 2018-12-13 16:34:53

Tea

What problem ?

/die is a fun feature. You can run around with baby bones in your arms.
It adds to the story telling. It saves time.

You don't want to stay in this town but don't want to run 1.5k (over dramatic, ik) with a random woman following you to "save" you ? Just /die and everyone is happy.

I don't think it's too annoying for the travelling mothers to give birth to a player who wants to /die. Would you like to have an infant running behind you, while you stop every 5 seconds to feed it or an infant that you just have to pick up once, dies and you can travel back to base without that crying bundle of stress following you.

I prefer to have babies who /die and have my "birth cool down" reset than a kid that just bails on me and I have to wait longer for a new kid.

Last edited by Tea (2018-12-13 16:40:29)

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#15 2018-12-13 17:51:08

Floofy

Sigurd wrote:

Or even better! Keep statistics on the number of early deaths. And give priority to children. Then those bad people that often / die will get such bad people as his heirs.

I like this. Have some sort of % of how often people reach age 40. This % could only keep track of the last 20 games to give people a chance to improve it.

So let's say i got 60%
Tarr got 80%
Bobo got 12%
Poo got 0%

If both me and bobo are mothers, and suddenly Poo is about to spawn, he will in priority spawn to a mother with a similar % as him (so he will spawn under Bobo). But if Tarr is about to spawn, he will in priority spawn under me.

This could encourage people to stop griefing, stop suiciding, and stop being morons in general. And people who persist being morons will be born to other morons, and get moronic childs. Just like in real life wink

#16 2018-12-13 20:21:30

pein

good players have a high % on both ends
chances are i wont starve or die to an animal 95% of time and 75%+ that i survive if someone wants to kill me, if i die early is due to wasted resources and annoying people or others die out

you got a plan before game, you can go with whatever, lets say you got a life in a decay town or as a kid of an eve who clearly doesnt even know how to find a decent spot
now if i got a life like that, i wont want to do it again
saving civilizations and grind from 0 to axe

the other thing is, i can already see how is a camp or city, and you as a new player only care that you got plenty food, but i see that giant berry farm with 1 berry on each and the seeding carrots, i know that the people dont care about anythign or anybody, long term is a lot of work for nothing, cause isnt optimized

so i dont like griefed towns, noobcamps in mid green biome, cities with 10+ females already, completely developed towns with multiple rooms and pumps (resources are already wasted and i dont see purpose of buidings)
i like smaller families in gen 2-3 with the tools made but iron and butt logs avalaible, bell bases, milkweed farm,  i will even make a pen or the rest of tools, mine, then i do some fun stuff
the other thing i like is getting back to cities i already been

then there is the human factor, i dont like baby gearing feminazis who toss all the gear to the biggest noob little sister while you work your ass off to keep them alive, keep fire going, pick off the carrots they keep watering, while they making paper, dogs, desert rooms, roads and useless bullshit while they got nothing working properly

its not upon me, you stay every life in hopes of a good life and you feel bored or disappointed after 30 minutes, i chose to skip out those lifes, i might end up murdering all the idiot mothers, and dumb people then just get cursed for nothing

soem people suicide cause their name or gender, which isnt right, or they suicide cause the city is poor, i often wonder cause i make the advancements quite fast so a good player directing a city worth more than having stuff ready made

/die is better than kids running away, doesnt affect you in any way
i guess more info about chances would be good, limited eve run possibilities and a que
maybe i dotn want to eve but others do
jason wants this randomness and i would be okay with it first life, after you play 40 min a day, you should be able to choose to play as eve or skip decaying towns (hard to say by the game what is a decaying town, maybe the number of broken baskets and carts, and age of town)
but maybe early or late gen
or possibly getting back to places you been would be more fun

there are dumb reasons to die, like revenge your kill or having a bad name but generally is others choice to stay with you and your fault if they not

Last edited by pein (2018-12-13 20:23:27)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2018-12-14 04:19:45

xclame

lionon wrote:

If people can't /die they will just suicide and potentially mutliple times in a lineage they just don't want to be part of.

This is the reason the die command exists in the first place. If I don't want to play in your camp no matter what you do I WILL be able to kill myself, there is nothing you can do against that. Before the die command was added what would often happen is that a camp would get littered with bones of babies that didn't want to live there, not only that but babies that wanted to grief could run to the forge and continuously die there, messing up all the forgers work. With the die command babies that don't want to play in your camp will only create ONE pile of bones AND you get to choose where to dump them, you don't even need to find a basket, just walk into the snow throw the bones there and move on. Mother's suffer almost zero consequence from a suicide baby, at most what would happen is, they lose one pip of food, a few seconds and maybe they had to stop doing what they were doing for those few seconds, which is only really an issue for a forger and that's partly the forgers fault anyways, if you are doing something time extensive, you can leave your baby on the ground for a little bit before you have to pick them up, they don't starve instantly if you don't pick them up withing 2 seconds of them being born.

Let's also not forget that that the die command actually HELPS you, without the die command your baby would run of to die and you would be on baby cooldown, with the die command that cooldown is immediately reset and you can get another baby again the moment the suicide baby entered the command. Now there are some very rare cases where because of your age the suicide baby causes your lineage to die, because for example no other players are trying to be born at that moment, but these are far less common than people would like to believe. If you are worried about that do what Tarr has been doing, tell the baby what is happening before you pick them up and they have ability to suicide. "OMG, last girl, please don't suicide", I guarantee more players would stay if that was the case, just don't lie otherwise we will start to not believe you and we will be back here again. I for example don't like to play in too  advanced civilizations, because I know I will just be bored out of my mind, but if the lineage depended on me, I would stay just to help that family out. Once I have given them enough girls or reached 40 I would go die so I can play more to my liking.

Also if every single baby keeps suiciding on you, you need to consider why they might be doing that, maybe your camp is horrible and they would rather not suffer through having to live there (stop making your farms away from water, your farm should be near water, not directly under the forge and 20 tiles away from water, not only do you make using the forge horrible you also waste so much time having to go for water every time)

#18 2018-12-14 08:18:40

lionon

xclame wrote:

This is the reason the die command exists in the first place. If I don't want to play in your camp no matter what you do I WILL be able to kill myself, there is nothing you can do against that.

Challenge accepted!

(See Tarrs birthing prison...)

xclame wrote:

stop making your farms away from water, your farm should be near water, not directly under the forge and 20 tiles away from water, not only do you make using the forge horrible you also waste so much time having to go for water every time)

Well this is not even the biggest issue, at least if you make it to buckets the distance doesn't matter so much. But if the main village is right in the cold greenlands I tend to suicide as well if it's obvious this is an early gen village and my mother (likely to noob Eve) doesn't have a surname..

PS: I believe on should be able to /die at any stage of life (e.g. due to imprisonment or due to having to leave because of IRL things) If below 3 -> SID, if = or above -> hearth attack.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-14 09:09:39)

Board footer