One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-12 11:51:25

pein

My experiments with the new hammer and a new ungriefable pen discovery

So i was born in a small town, Snow family

they had a desert city, most of it too hot, all tools, except knitting needle , seemed they were kinda low population until then, as not many bones, and not many sheep bones, might have been an outpost
there were some duplicate tools like 2 saws and one saw head, i get rid of it.
they had only one well, empty and a few shallow

a lot of thread i made all ropes, and lot of fleece but no spindle? eventually bro found or made one and we both made wool clothes but was very hot
we had a few packs, like 4? and 2 knives, one was public, i made a rubber tire and the first pump parts, then i seen i made duplicate, but int the end used it up

i thought is the same for newcomen hammer, but actually is on stakes, not on a well, and needs the same things, except one extra yew shaft
so sorta kinda i was right just not on the stakes part

got pack the scrap metal for new shovel and almost made a new knife but then granma gave me one.
so i went exploring with my last kid at 36 and found a vein.
she was smart blushing baby and later went out gathering iron in a basket
i poked a bear once and guy with horse let it out accidentally both times but nobody got hurt.
made the stanchion kit for it and the bucket, we had like 7 ropes and the right amount of bell bases so it saved me time, i made a cistern to empty the first well, then emptied second i thought the hammer is that way.

we brought back like 35-40 iron, from the 2 veins and i was kinda old. made the piston but then the smithing hammer broke and by that time people used up all my shafts and the ropes so was kinda bad, i still made the second atmospheric core, just i used on the well, not on stakes, but it was a good experience, next  time i know

with the right city location, you can do all the upgrades if people not wasting on multiple pumps and parts
takes 26 iron for one pump, one multipurpose with all parts, the pump jack the distiller and one tank, also 2x1 tires (don't put together) and one raw tire, which needs to be put on bore mechanism first

so we got a new type of blocking element which is the freestanding newcomen foundation
JuyQJFm.png

takes pit stakes and a half stone, so same cost as bell base pen
but its not removable
they can waste putting stones on it, even shafts and ropes and iron, but that's kinda tedious, and wont disturb integrity just the visuals

or you can make it intentionally 4 high so it looks like a mini stonehenge
plus benefit is that is centrally arranged on tiles not on the left
same goes for distilelrs but those are 4 iron to make a blocking wall

but the stonehenge pen seems legit, just pay attention to make it big(not a 3x3, at least 5x5 or 7x7), and don't miss anything, cause irremovable

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#2 2018-12-12 12:35:23

lionon

Re: My experiments with the new hammer and a new ungriefable pen discovery

The town sounds familiar.

The pen is not ungriefable tough. if one closes off the entries completely with additional non-removeables the drama is perfect. Albeit there isn't a plausible deniability to do that, which is why IMO it isn't a common practice by griefers....

#3 2018-12-12 17:42:09

pein

well, there are bushes to block that, so the time invested wont worth it
orner entrance: put one bush in the corner and one inside it, normally they need 2 blocks outside or 1 inside, with one extra bush they need 3 inside
if you put a bush diagonally outside, needs 4 outside

side/front entrance: you need 1 block inside and 2 outside
with one extra bush inside, so 2 in row, yhey need 3 inside, with one extra outside they need 5 to block

so digging out bush takes a bit more effort for them, that's why you should put soil on it but never water or use stuff like corn

the ultimate pen entrance is a snow bank, as it is an unremovable item which doesn't block movement
rose bushes are another walling method to give the town a structure, now its hard to find a spot with a snow bank
jungles and ice mixes are very good against mosquito bites, don't need to be big ice just like 8x8 so has maximum cooling effect

griefers are lazy just make sure it takes more time to ruin it than to make it

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-12-12 22:50:50

Solbusaur

What if they just surrounded the entrance bush with the newcomen base stone? No-one could remove it.

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#5 2018-12-13 12:49:55

pein

that why the bushes, they increase the number needed to be surrounded, also 4 entrances or more if you make it fixed

weird result when tested, basically corner entrances were all blocked if a newcomen base was there

QBxfi7h.png
this is a dumbed down version of what we did
was a 3x3 adobe pen normal corner entrances
a girl was making some bell bases so i told her to make newcomen foundations instead
so she did and after she understood the pit stake mallet she did it
7x7 four corner entrance was the plan
after she did 3 sides, we couldn't enter on any corner
NW SW NE
then i made bell base front entrance and tried a newcomen on bottom right one and i could cross up and down so on its own lets you cross it
would make sense to block to left as when it finished has left side the hammer, but maybe even right as has right side athmospheric core?
now what is weird it even blocked the bottom where was a reverse front entrance with the normal adobe corner blocked by a fence and other adobe, and left side a newcomen, i couldn't even step on the bush, not to enter there
also top left we didn't even had a corner tile outside, only two newcomen foundations
bnn
noo
noo
this blocked diagonals
requires further testing but it means that
1. might be that horizontal newcomen foudations can be spaced out and still block movement between them
2. this makes half as cheap as bell base, but also the elongated horizontal will be the optimal , so 2:1 length/height pen (if its 1x3 than 3:1)
nms5bLw.png
i had something like this in mind
but can be even 2 space between them? or is just a pseudo block diagonally if the two pseudo tiles are near each other diagonally and there are other walls too?? cause it lets you go near the foundation all sides

so i cant really understand the mechanics fully, yet and no time to test out today
after further thinking, the following pen should work
xHFnC7z.png
basically all newcomen foundations, except the entrance, which is a bell base or adobe
might be that any wall diagonally to a newcomen blocks entrance, in that case you need 5 bushes or railroads, or 2 bushes, then a wall afterward

but what is already surprising, than using this diamond technique, you get twice as much space for resources
16 tiles normally make a 3x3 inside, which is 9 free tiles only
this 16 tiles make 24 free tiles, for 20 you get 40 tiles,  in meantime a 6x6 pen cost was 28 for 36 tiles
with 2 more you increase with 9 tiles more then 11 etc, but you need to come back to diamond size, if add 4 more, it will be 9 7 and back to 5
which means, that you can even enclose an entire self sustaining colony, and yes, it's a one directional door if you use a grave instead of bushes

#6 2018-12-13 16:16:48

Dodge

It's the tile on the right that is blocked because it's where the engine is supposed to be https://onetech.info/2243-Multipurpose-Newcomen-Engine, you can still put objects on this tile but movement is blocked

#7 2018-12-13 17:14:45

pein

its kinda pseudo blocked only, cause you can run near it when one its alone
what about other diagonals? SW-NE blocks, SE-NW?

#8 2018-12-14 10:26:42

pein

UcUb3NO.png

tested and tested

i shouldn't go big before testing small xD
took me like 50 years, i mean it was good to find out stuff but still

it wont block animals diagonally only humans
it wont block them vertically either as animals are items and they can go on it but only one by one?
but is very effective to block out humans, the diagonal walls block them and create massive free space on a lower cost

or diagonal, or you can also make it 2:1 ratio wide room placing newcomen on every second tile only
the entrance is kinda weird, as left side, you got an invisible wall blocking them picking up a grave for example
on right side its ok, looks kinda normal, top side would block it right side, so the two way out becomes one way out, so its much more griefable

now i didn't tested if they can hop jump out or they can only walk out, that still decreases inner space so not sure whats the math, but i guess it wont work

#9 2018-12-14 11:24:01

lionon

BTW: A pen shouldn't IMO be larger than someone without zoom mod seeing the full thing at once... otherwise even well intended people can't tell well anymore how many shorn/unshorn sheep there are.

#10 2018-12-14 11:54:52

pein

its just matter of experience and perspective, even without zoom mode, you get used to bigger rooms, or more spacing

i never understood why people put the farm so close to kiln, kinda ruined the whole thing, also logically doesn't make sense to make berry fields so compact, you cant put down items then
a 7 by 7 is kinda good size, but the bigger the better you can afford an oven inside or a horse fence and you can leave tools inside it etc.
i can fil la 7x7 alone in a life so what if 3 people want an apron?

you can technically take out a fed lamb and poops near farms, and you kill near ovens, you just need rope, shears knife

#11 2018-12-14 12:02:34

lionon

pein wrote:

i never understood why people put the farm so close to kiln

Because for the eve camp its all they have, so why put it far apart?

IMO it's fine for the eve camp, what isn't done enough is once the camp grows to a town is to make a new kiln (or two) further away, a little more outskirts and move the smithy and then take down the eve-one.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-14 12:02:59)

#12 2018-12-14 14:22:38

BlueDiamondAvatar

lionon wrote:

what isn't done enough is once the camp grows to a town is to make a new kiln (or two) further away, a little more outskirts and move the smithy and then take down the eve-one.

There is a way to take down a kiln?  I've tried to retrofit them with a bowl of water, but it doesn't work. 

This just adds to my reddit/suggestion about making the recipes for removing built objects more available.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#13 2018-12-14 14:32:58

lionon

kiln + pickaxe = adobe rubble
adobe rubble + water of bowl = 1 adobe

The only thing I'd take care of is to make anybody near the smith or even working there aware you move it, and to have already the new kilns in place until you destroy the old smith. Otherwise they think you're a griefer.

#14 2018-12-14 23:16:44

Lexyvil

I find it odd that stone blocks or oven bases are used as pens. Hopefully wooden fences become the primary way of containing sheep at some point, for a more realistic feel. That, and at least seeing long shafts a tad easier to obtain for that.

#15 2018-12-15 00:56:29

Tarr
Banned

Lexyvil wrote:

I find it odd that stone blocks or oven bases are used as pens. Hopefully wooden fences become the primary way of containing sheep at some point, for a more realistic feel. That, and at least seeing long shafts a tad easier to obtain for that.

Fence pens are literally never going to be viable unless every other option is nerfed to the ground. At a 2x cost of every other material people use for pens (4x cost compared to tower base pens) they're just not a good choice until very late game where people only care about aesthetics of the town.

I'm even sure we'd get an even more ridiculous pen meta if everything was nerfed (needle fence pen meta? Berry bush pen meta?) I understand why people like fence pens but they're just bad in the long run.

fug it’s Tarr.

#16 2018-12-15 01:23:58

headofaxes

Hey Pien, how do you get your client to look the way it does with the zoomed out FOV, age, and info about pregnancy/relatives alive etc.?

#17 2018-12-15 07:32:47

pein

its awbz mod, https://github.com/Awbz/OneLife/releases/latest

well technically i would ask kids to plant bushes 15x5 then 15x5 around a 5x5, rather than make fences
its jasons fault, cause he listens to noobs who never made one but complain on the look of it
fences were never viable as you need shittons of branches to build a decent size or tons of time
now in like 10 generations you can go and collect soil further and further, but you need like 4 biomes for the straight shafts and like 3-4 people doing it, for a 4x4 maybe
he nerfed composting by adding dung, then nerfed pits hoping this would stray people to fences
also he nerfed boxes, roses and graves because someone complained about locking them in rooms which is like one per million chance compared to how often people ruin stuff, i think is fun to make creative buildings with different resources, and adapting to the map is a good skill to have

#18 2018-12-15 11:00:48

pein

zv61XBp.png

ok so newcomen pens viable if you want to make ungriefable, and just an extra hammer and a few stone hits on stakes to make them instead of the bell base pens
corner entrances doesn't work, as each side one of the newcomens block a tile
there are 2 options:
put a bell base or soemthing else o nthe B marked tiles, so you can enter

or make front/side entrances
6k942nY.png
which weird again as top and bottom cant be made either, blocks players but wont block animals
but you got the option to make 2 bushes and a newcomen, so you can go in but the animals wont go out
the last options are rails or 5 bushes/anything that leaves hardened row/any itme which is harder to move

Board footer