One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-03 18:49:08

Floofy

Roles of an advanced town

This point of this post is to illustrate the 5 main roles you can occupy in an advanced town. I would advise to focus on 1. As a child, try to see which of these roles is needed the most. Here they are:

Farmer
This is the most basic role. Your job is to put soil/water on gooseberry bushes when needed, and make sure there is always wheat, carrots and weed available. It might be basic, but its pretty important.

Shepherd
Your job is to create mashed berries/carrots bowl and feed the lambs with it. Its also to create compost close to the farms, so the farmers have soil. Its also to kill the excess cows when needed, and give the meat to the bakers.

Baker
Your job is very simple, create pies with the wheat and the mutton meat, or also the rabbit meat. Pies are incredibly more effective than berries ever will be.

Miner/Smith
Your job is to create the necessary tools for the other roles, especially shovel, hoe, and axe. Its also to make sure there is some wood available at the smith area, and also to get get iron when needed

Jack of all trades
This role is potentially the most complex since there is a lot of things you could do. Choose this when other jobs are already being done. You are there to fill the gaps. If another role gets freed up, you could take it. Here is a list of things you might want to do:

1) Improve the current wells
2) Add roads
3) Add buckets
4) Add carts
5) Add Horses
6) Hunt rabbits
7) Make clothes
8) Become a nurse and care for all the kids
9) Hunt animals that are close to the town
10) Do some cleaning around the town (remove corpse, organize items, etc).

Kids should be eating berries, and adults should eat the mutton pie. None should eat the carrots.

Last edited by Floofy (2018-12-03 18:53:17)

#2 2018-12-03 19:46:27

Gederian

Re: Roles of an advanced town

Floofy wrote:

Kids should be eating berries, and adults should eat the mutton pie. None should eat the carrots.

Before I die I always go stand in the center of the town repeating stuff like this. Give it a try, it's awesome to see people stop by and hear your words. The up key is your friend.

I usually like to explain why too such as "Carrots are for compost, they are not to be eaten!" and "Don't eat pie as a kid, it's too filling and a waste."

#3 2018-12-03 19:57:41

Floofy

Gederian wrote:
Floofy wrote:

Before I die I always go stand in the center of the town repeating stuff like this. Give it a try, it's awesome to see people stop by and hear your words. The up key is your friend.

I usually like to explain why too such as "Carrots are for compost, they are not to be eaten!" and "Don't eat pie as a kid, it's too filling and a waste."

My biggest "weakness" in this game is probably this. I tend to assume people aren't idiots. They are.
I sometimes spend a whole life with kids that does literally nothing other than eat the food i make for them
I keep thinking they will eventually figure out what to do... they don't.
I once told one of these newbies to get me bananas... he filled the whole place with bananas.
TLDR: Instructing newer players on what to do seems to be worth it. They know even less than we give them credit for.

The few times i get kids that actually know what they're doing feels so good lol

#4 2018-12-03 20:55:17

Monolith_Rans

Floofy wrote:

Baker
Your job is very simple, create pies with the wheat and the mutton meat, or also the rabbit meat. Pies are incredibly more effective than berries ever will be.

The job of the baker isn't simple.  The baker is the main maximizer of YUM in the town.   They bake bread, mutton meat, potatoes, turkey dinner, and pie. There are eight, Yes I said EIGHT possible pies, each bite of which provides a unique YUM.  They are: carrot pie, berry pie, rabbit pie, carrot berry pie, carrot rabbit pie, berry rabbit pie,  carrot berry rabbit pie, and mutton pie.  Without getting into turkey broth, a skilled baker can provide the village with 12 unique bites just using the oven.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#5 2018-12-03 21:02:51

lionon

Well I'd rather have a baker that only does mutton pie and bread than the bakery being vacant.

#6 2018-12-03 21:08:04

Monolith_Rans

Floofy wrote:

Farmer
This is the most basic role. Your job is to put soil/water on gooseberry bushes when needed, and make sure there is always wheat, carrots and weed available. It might be basic, but its pretty important.

Berry farm management is obviously vital, but farming is not basic.  An optimal farm is also growing stew vegetables and milk weed in addition to the berries and carrots.  The Farmer is also the main water manager and so, must be responsible for the buckets.  Buckets will disappear for use in iron mines, on deep wells, latex collection, and cow milking.  So the farmer needs to make some buckets even in an established city.

#7 2018-12-03 21:31:48

Floofy

Monolith_Rans wrote:
Floofy wrote:

Baker

The job of the baker isn't simple.  The baker is the main maximizer of YUM in the town.   They bake bread, mutton meat, potatoes, turkey dinner, and pie. There are eight, Yes I said EIGHT possible pies, each bite of which provides a unique YUM.  They are: carrot pie, berry pie, rabbit pie, carrot berry pie, carrot rabbit pie, berry rabbit pie,  carrot berry rabbit pie, and mutton pie.  Without getting into turkey broth, a skilled baker can provide the village with 12 unique bites just using the oven.

There exist 2 case scenario.

1) Your town already has plenty of mutton or rabbit meat (this is usually the case).
Its not really worth wasting precious berries/carrots just for yum bonus when you already have free meat.

2) Your town has no meat left (rare)
Instead of using 6 berries/1 carrot to produce 1 pie, its much better instead to feed a lamb, kill the mother, and use the 4 meat to produce 4 pies. This also gives a free dung, which might really help your shepherd.

Last edited by Floofy (2018-12-03 21:31:58)

#8 2018-12-03 21:41:45

Floofy

Monolith_Rans wrote:
Floofy wrote:

Farmer

Berry farm management is obviously vital, but farming is not basic.  An optimal farm is also growing stew vegetables and milk weed in addition to the berries and carrots.  The Farmer is also the main water manager and so, must be responsible for the buckets.  Buckets will disappear for use in iron mines, on deep wells, latex collection, and cow milking.  So the farmer needs to make some buckets even in an established city.

In my opinion, Stew is generally not worth it. The main issue is there is always gonna be some generation that doesn't know how to do it (i consider myself a good player and even i don't know all the steps for stew). And mutton pie is already pretty damn effective imo. I rather provide more berries/carrots/wheat to make sure pie production is optimal.

That being said, yesterday i had a really good grand mother who made stew and it kinda saved our ass before we could get into hardcore mutton pie production. But once she died, the stew plants were completely idle lol

#9 2018-12-03 22:00:48

CrazyEddie

Yum bonus is a cute toy for people who know about it but has little practical effect for typical players in typical situations.

If your settlement is facing a food crisis it's probably too poorly developed to have a significant diversity of food available, and the actions needed to resolve the crisis (usually fixing some impending shortage in some critical resource) are much higher priority than pursuing a yum bonus. Trying to maximize your bonus is likely to get in the way of acting quickly to fix the problem.

If your town has lots of different types of food available, it probably has a solid food production base and an excess of food overall, in which case the yum bonus plays little part in the future course of the town. Eating to maximize yum will reduce the town's food consumption, but since food isn't a constraint in such a town, it doesn't matter.

#10 2018-12-03 22:16:53

CrazyEddie

Stew is a good transition food; better than berries, faster and easier to get going than mutton pies (you don't have to wait on the sheep pen to get made, stocked, and tended), easier to do in large quantities than early pies (you don't need a ton of plates; two crocks and a bowl will feed a crowd).

You just need someone who knows how to do it.

#11 2018-12-04 00:40:02

Nopik

How to make stew: (assuming the plants are ready to harvest)

Make/assemble tools-crock, 2 bowls, 1 plate, hatchet or axe, stone, sharp stone, flint
   Fill one bowl with water, leave near crock
   Squash-Harvest with sharp stone, put squash on plate, hit with hatchet or axe, put in crock
   Beans-Pick dry beans, put in bowl, smash with stone, put on plate, put back in bowl, add water, take out water, put in crock
   Corn-Pick cob, let dry, put dry cob in bowl, hit with flint, put in crock
   Add water to crock
   Put crock on hot coals
   When cooked, remove stew with bowls and eat

Note: must add veggies in the correct order, or it won’t work.

#12 2018-12-04 03:17:33

Monolith_Rans

I was in a town today where someone spammed carrots in the jungle to the north.  We had boxes upon boxes of mutton, and an extensive berry field that was well tended.  Naturally, we were a pie based economy as the wheat was also abundant.  My mother was the town baker and took over for her instead of running after a bell because she asked me to and I'm a supreme f-cking baker.  I ended up teaching my cousin how to make all variety of baked goods and it really was rewarding.  Of course, I'm not gonna use carrots when the compost piles are few.  But if you're gonna make rabbit pie, it really does make it better to have a carrot and berries in there.  It's almost as filling as mutton.  I guess my point is that we should give farmers and bakers more credit.  It's not as glamorous a job as smith, but it's hard work and it's vital.

#13 2018-12-04 16:13:19

Floofy

Monolith_Rans wrote:

I was in a town today where someone spammed carrots in the jungle to the north.  We had boxes upon boxes of mutton, and an extensive berry field that was well tended.  Naturally, we were a pie based economy as the wheat was also abundant.  My mother was the town baker and took over for her instead of running after a bell because she asked me to and I'm a supreme f-cking baker.  I ended up teaching my cousin how to make all variety of baked goods and it really was rewarding.  Of course, I'm not gonna use carrots when the compost piles are few.  But if you're gonna make rabbit pie, it really does make it better to have a carrot and berries in there.  It's almost as filling as mutton.  I guess my point is that we should give farmers and bakers more credit.  It's not as glamorous a job as smith, but it's hard work and it's vital.

Today i was born in an advanced town and i decided i would be the "butcher". I had a sister who was a really good sherperd, but the sheep farm was overcrowded. So my whole life, all i did is kill sheeps, bring wheelbarrow full of mutton meat baskets to baker, and make more baskets. At the end of my life, we must have had at least 20 baskets full of meat lol.

That town is never gonna run out of meat lol

#14 2018-12-06 06:54:49

pein

actual jobs:
firewood collector you need to get firewood, buttlogs for boards and stumps/branches for kindling
potter: get clay and make plates and bowls, crocks, never enough
milkweed farmer: same for ropes, never enough
berry picker: pick berry into bowl to stay ahead of the cycles, make easier to compost and feed sheep
hat maker: its quite good piece of clothing, you can make straw hats, quite cheap and put feathers into it, the excess wheat makes bread or burritos, pies occupy too many plates generally
seal hunter: once i got like 17 skins in one life? everybody had seal jacket, looks good alone without panties and its very hot
rabbit hunter: packs  and loin cloths are important
some niche stuff can be good , like paper and letter maker, burrito maker, dog breeder? far from city in closed placed maybe but i don't think dogs will ever stay there
optimizer: just make nice optimized entrances to buildings, pens, boxes and new oven to cook excess meat
janitors: bones out, painting stuff and worms out, arrange similar things together
explorers: lot of people die with clothes and it's a loss long term, retrieving is full time job

i would like to see organized teaching and rp rooms, shops, or giving clothes based on work not just tossing on to a random girl who might be an idiot who ruins everything
teahcing kids would be nice but you can focus on 1-2 maybe and needs setup

lot of transport required and then kids can do some of it like choppign butt logs into boards and make bell bases out of stone
and eventually expand to new territories like a jungle

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2018-12-06 07:08:36

Floofy

pein wrote:

actual jobs:
firewood collector you need to get firewood, buttlogs for boards and stumps/branches for kindling
potter: get clay and make plates and bowls, crocks, never enough
milkweed farmer: same for ropes, never enough
berry picker: pick berry into bowl to stay ahead of the cycles, make easier to compost and feed sheep
hat maker: its quite good piece of clothing, you can make straw hats, quite cheap and put feathers into it, the excess wheat makes bread or burritos, pies occupy too many plates generally
seal hunter: once i got like 17 skins in one life? everybody had seal jacket, looks good alone without panties and its very hot
rabbit hunter: packs  and loin cloths are important
some niche stuff can be good , like paper and letter maker, burrito maker, dog breeder? far from city in closed placed maybe but i don't think dogs will ever stay there
optimizer: just make nice optimized entrances to buildings, pens, boxes and new oven to cook excess meat
janitors: bones out, painting stuff and worms out, arrange similar things together
explorers: lot of people die with clothes and it's a loss long term, retrieving is full time job

i would like to see organized teaching and rp rooms, shops, or giving clothes based on work not just tossing on to a random girl who might be an idiot who ruins everything
teahcing kids would be nice but you can focus on 1-2 maybe and needs setup

lot of transport required and then kids can do some of it like choppign butt logs into boards and make bell bases out of stone
and eventually expand to new territories like a jungle

Firewood collector: I don't fell like someone needs to do this full time. It takes a very short time to bring some wood back to the town. Kinda part of "jack of all trade".
potter: I mean usually once a town is "advanced" you probably have enough pottery already. If you don't, it doesn't take a lot of time to get enough clay. Another part of "jack of all trade".
milkweed farmer: I personally think its better to ride a horse cart with 4 baskets and actually go collect milk weed from far away. It saves a lot of ressources and is actually faster.
hat maker: This is part of the shepherd's job. The shepherd is supposed to take the wool off the sheeps, and make hats/sweaters with it.
seal hunter: Heh no. The shepherd should already be making coats, no need to dedicate someone full time to this.

Tbh if you ever did only ONE of these jobs you listed, i'd consider you as a sponge. Those jobs are way too small to do only this your whole life.

Board footer