One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-02 15:42:34

lionon

To all the bakers out there. (As adult pls stop munching berries only)

Bakers, you are the true heros! Until recently I believed next to infertility and griefers the biggest downfall of towns would be disruption of the compost cycle. However, I've seen now a few times it are actually the bakers. This happens, one baker dies of old age and nobody takes over the job. The cakes and bread lasts a while and then suddenly everybody starts munching berries, which can never support any reasonable sized town. There soil is used up like crazy, people try to fix it by making compost ASAP. But it just doesn't work that way and then they start dropping like flies (albeit a little outward of town would still be wild food, but nevertheless).

With the famines somewhere where the wheat farm used to be is usually still a hugh pile of grains... which nobody can eat.

Or put otherwise on my private practice server I could go fine with 4 bushes of berries. Only 4! And food was piling up like crazy simply due to side product (grains and mutton) of compost mostly for milkweed and experimenting with the other plants.

#2 2018-12-02 15:45:31

lionon

Re: To all the bakers out there. (As adult pls stop munching berries only)

Or another observation. The largest and oldest towns I saw had two bakeries and I believe the effect is vice versa, it's not they had two bakeries because they were large, but they were able to become large and old, because somebody at some point made a second bakery.

#3 2018-12-02 16:11:45

wolfgang

I have only had the game for about a week and baking is the only useful thing I know how to do so far. Very limited knowledge on most professions outside that, but as long as a bakery exists that is usually where I go so far. For now I am content to continue baking and teaching others how to bake, since like you said it is often the downfall of a town when the last baker dies. Still can't figure out how to make a rabbit pie though, only mutton. I know how to catch a rabbit and skin it but can't seem to add it to the pie crust. Don't tell me though, I am trying to learn everything that I learn from others within the game rather than the internet. More fun that way.

#4 2018-12-02 16:19:19

lionon

put skinned rabbit into bowl and apply sharp stone, then onto cake crust just as mutton.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-02 16:19:27)

#5 2018-12-02 17:17:34

Psykout

wolfgang wrote:

Don't tell me though, I am trying to learn everything that I learn from others within the game rather than the internet. More fun that way.

lionon wrote:

put skinned rabbit into bowl and apply sharp stone, then onto cake crust just as mutton.

Wow really? I shake my head sir...

#6 2018-12-02 17:19:21

lionon

Psykout wrote:

Wow really? I shake my head sir...

Oh well, didn't read with full attention it seems. Sry.

#7 2018-12-02 18:44:21

CrazyEddie

I did a life yesterday born into one of the bigger towns (for the fourth time). Wealthy town, plenty of resources, reasonable layout, but everything keeps turning to shit because nobody knows how to maintain things. I guess that's the curse of this game, and learning to live with it just part of the experience.

Anyway. Me and a brother were born to a baker mom right there in the bakery, and from the very get-go she said "You will be bakers."

[ shrug ] Okay, I guess I'll be a baker! Haven't done that yet, should be fun.

Well let me tell you me and my brother worked our asses off for sixty years! I already knew most of the baking trade, but I taught my brother as well (always love teaching things! very rewarding). The bakery had gotten completely cluttered with the usual garbage that people leave everywhere, PLUS it was being used for cooking stuff like rabbits and eggs and stew. So right away I put a stop to that nonsense, moved everything out that wasn't needed for baking, and gave us room to work.

And then after that it was just ramming-and-jamming on pies, non-stop for an hour. It was great! As we went we got better at it, more efficient, continually upgrading our capacity, adding more storage and keeping it filled, adding more plates and keeping them in use, shortening the turn-around time for wheat and flour and mutton, managing the fire better, keeping the bakery clean and organized, etc etc etc.

The best part was when the two of us - plus an occasional helper - had built up a gigantic inventory of uncooked pies and nearly run out of cooked pies. We looked around, said "Okay, time to bake", lit the fire, and then just had a coordinated frenzy of baking pie after pie after pie after pie. And when it was all done and the bakery was stuffed to the gills with boxes and carts full of baskets full of pies, we just kind of stood there with this exhausted glow. "HIGH FIVE!" It felt great knowing that through our hard work and dedication to the craft we had fed the whole town even while half the berryfields were lying brown and empty due to neglect.

TLDR; Baking is awesome, highly recommended.

#8 2018-12-02 19:15:09

Catfive

A good baker is a godsend, they will not only produce mutton and carrot pies but bread, buttered bread, carrot, berry, carrot & berry, carrot rabbit, berry carrot, carrot berry and rabbit pies, cooked mutton making it a major yum station!

#9 2018-12-02 20:43:10

lionon

I'm often amazed how well a village can run, when it runs efficiently. Was recently 3rd generation in a startup village and in no time we had build a huge pen out of stone (bell tower bases), made all the iron tools and had tons of pie... Compare that to so many settlements that barely made it.

Or another one was the complete opposite, I was trying to smith some second gen tools as the first ones got broken, and constantly people were standing in the smithing area, taking the road stone, decades past... then again a child interrupting and another. Finally it got lighter lower people and I out of fertility, I got the smithy sorted and was amazed how well I could do 5-6 burnings in the forge with one load (2 raw iron, 2 crucible and two tools) and when I was finsihed, I noticed I was all alone!! Everyone seems to have died in the meantime (including all the children I birthed)..

#10 2018-12-02 21:04:05

Floofy

Catfive wrote:

A good baker is a godsend, they will not only produce mutton and carrot pies but bread, buttered bread, carrot, berry, carrot & berry, carrot rabbit, berry carrot, carrot berry and rabbit pies, cooked mutton making it a major yum station!

I disagree with you. I think carrots/berries pies are an HUGE waste if you are in an advanced town with a pen. Only time id consider a berry/carrot pie is if there is no meat available.
Mutton pie gives 15 food per part.
Berry carrot pie gives 15 food per part.
So the only advantage of the berry carrot pie is the Yum bonus.

But, if, instead of using your bowl of berries and carrots on a crust, you use it on a lamb, and then butcher the sheep, you get 4 meat and you can literally make 4 mutton pies instead. And as a bonus, you just generated a sheep dung which is very usefull for other tasks.

TLDR: In advanced towns, berries/carrots should never go into pies. Mutton meat should go into pies.

#11 2018-12-02 21:07:58

Floofy

lionon wrote:

I'm often amazed how well a village can run, when it runs efficiently. Was recently 3rd generation in a startup village and in no time we had build a huge pen out of stone (bell tower bases), made all the iron tools and had tons of pie... Compare that to so many settlements that barely made it.

Or another one was the complete opposite, I was trying to smith some second gen tools as the first ones got broken, and constantly people were standing in the smithing area, taking the road stone, decades past... then again a child interrupting and another. Finally it got lighter lower people and I out of fertility, I got the smithy sorted and was amazed how well I could do 5-6 burnings in the forge with one load (2 raw iron, 2 crucible and two tools) and when I was finsihed, I noticed I was all alone!! Everyone seems to have died in the meantime (including all the children I birthed)..

this is the worst when you're trying to smith and there is like 3-4 people doing absolutly nothing except watch you smith and chat together.
When you get actually decent players, then villages can go really well.

Even new players can be usefull if they at least TRY to do something instead of sitting there and watching you. Today i had a new player boy. He asked me what he should do since hes new.... i was like... bring bananas. I made him a basket and... he literally filled our town with bananas everywhere lol. If every newbies actually did simple tasks well, villages would go so much better, instead of spending their whole life sitting there watching others play...

#12 2018-12-02 21:17:50

lionon

To be fair, It's also often partially the fault of the first generations that make the village layout. The smithing area should be somewhat remote. And yes I could have moved, but I felt I didn't have the time for that.

#13 2018-12-02 23:38:30

CrazyEddie

I think when a settlement starts getting crowded, the players who are paying attention to things like that need to step up and start fixing that.

Whatever task you end up doing (because nobody else is doing it), own it, and start fixing the space issues while you're getting the work itself done. If some other function is crowding you, either relocate yourself (and ask for help doing it!) or offer to help them relocate. It's easy to relocate most things, because most things are being done by people who aren't paying attention, aren't focused, and aren't trying to own it. So if it moves out from underneath them, they'll either switch to doing something else, or they'll say "where's the wheat?" and you can tell them "west" and they'll just go along with it.

I think the good players need to get used to reorganizing the town, because Eve camps are going to just barely be planned enough to get by. Startup is hard, and planning where everything is going to go is pretty far down the priority list for an Eve with two babies and no bowls.

#14 2018-12-02 23:40:39

FakerFangirl

Found a horse & cart, loaded it up with 40+ eggs, and then cooked them. Horses are awesome.

#15 2018-12-03 01:28:14

betame

Agree! Each compost has the byproduct of 1 wheat and 4 mutton, which is exactly what's needed for four pies. Using the mutton/wheat is the most often neglected part of the complete compost cycle. Without it, there's unchecked clutter.

And non-mutton pies are best for yum or if you have extra wheat from straw hat/basket makers.

Turkeys and rabbits are great bakery food too if anyone hunted them!

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#16 2018-12-03 08:08:28

Daffex

FakerFangirl wrote:

Found a horse & cart, loaded it up with 40+ eggs, and then cooked them. Horses are awesome.

How?! Horse and cart can only carry 4 containers... At max you could carry 16 eggs (+4 in your own personal back pack) Unless it was multiple trips?

(The 16 eggs was based on 4 backpacks)

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#17 2018-12-03 10:37:15

pein

no compost pies pls
carrot pies are ok for teenagers
i don't like eggs and bad pies that much if there is mutton
no one ever cleans up decent enough meat

bread and burrito are much more plate efficient with their own 6 servings, also burrito cleans up 1.5 grain, and a lot of beans, which is the only time when i make them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#18 2018-12-03 16:30:18

mrslax

The backer is one of the 3 Cornerstone jobs in town. The other 2 are the Farmer and the Sleeper. Those two should be making more compost and bring the baker wheat and meat. When the town fails it is due to one of the Cornerstone is job is missing. it is hard to tell when one goes missing till the buffer drys up and by that time it almost too late to recover. Most of the town will die till the system is back up to support the pop.

If I'm in a bell town, ill check out the 3 jobs. if only one is missing ill pick it up. but if 2 of them are missing and the buffer are daining then that is the sign to pack up and move. If I am a girl then I grab a horse and look for an old town around the bell town. They are about 1K away and it is the best chances of survival. If I'm a boy then I'll start prepping for the rebuild and secure some wild food right outside of town. It usually a baker mom and kids I Pick and bring to the food spot outside of town. let the town die, get the system started and bring them back to start anew. Most of the time the only person left in town is the griefer and boy I love killing him. ( you can tell it is them as there is no food in town, they don't ask for help and they won't help.)

#19 2018-12-03 16:45:40

lionon

pein wrote:

no compost pies pls

What about dung pies then? Think about the Yum bonus! dung pie, yum yum!

The other 2 are the Farmer and the Sleeper.

I volunteer for sleeper!

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-03 16:46:04)

#20 2018-12-03 18:15:18

Potjeh

I'd say smith is just as important, I've seen plenty towns where the compost cycle got disrupted by lack of shovels.

#21 2018-12-03 18:40:55

lionon

Learning smithing is important, but in my opinion only seldom a full time job for a whole life time. If you need some tool smith it and pick up your previous job. I'd rather put here the scavenger as an important job to gather the iron. But most towns I've didn't actually die to iron shortage.

The biggest thread to a town is a generation with noob-infection (often combined with infertility a.k.a. less players online in total). Nobody knowing how to smith is a clear symptom of that.

#22 2018-12-03 18:45:45

mrslax

Smithing is not that imported, with a setup, it takes a minute or two tops to make charcoal and 3 shovels heads in a row. Thinking about it, it only takes like 3-4 people to run a big city. The baker, shepherd, farmer, and one guy that knows what he doing. I would imagine the 4th person would have more to do later in the game. But for right now odd jobs are running the pumps, smithing, getting wood, making stuff like bowls, plates, buckets, boxes, etc...

#23 2018-12-03 19:50:32

PeaGirl

Ohh, this whole post feels like nightmare in my eyes.

As I have enjoyed baking for the long period of time, I've come to realize that those who try to freely learn from game from others often fall along with them in common mistakes that often costs villages.

No, do not use ANY berries when you are making pies. You'll end up using 6, which already is a lot of food pips comparing normal berry pie, which lessens it's pip value by A LOT!
For me, the first priorities were mostly
- Mutton pie, if people new and murdering every bushes, and stacking up lot of mutton and wheat around.
- Carrot-rabbit pie, if people are experienced and you have plenty of carrot and rabbit, but not so much mutton to use atm.
- Rabbit pie, if town is still freshly new with no pen, or a small pen with beginnings of compost cycle, because you may end up having some crushed wheat somewhere in the savannahs, alongside few rabbits that people have HOPEFULLY spared from putting on hot coals instead.

And those curious, mutton pie is likely my first go. Carrot-rabbit pie if in ok situation, and rabbit if really in dire situation or otherwise in growing, new village.

carrot+bowl=carrot in bowl
carrot in bowl+rabbit=rabbit and carrot in bowl
rabbit and carrot in bowl+sharp stone=mushed rabbit and carrot
mushed mix ---(any)+pie crust= raw ---pie(any except mutton)
raw mutton+pie crust =raw mutton pie

Last edited by PeaGirl (2018-12-03 19:52:11)

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#24 2018-12-03 23:37:15

Catfive

Floofy wrote:
Catfive wrote:

I disagree with you. I think carrots/berries pies are an HUGE waste if you are in an advanced town with a pen. Only time id consider a berry/carrot pie is if there is no meat available.
Mutton pie gives 15 food per part.
Berry carrot pie gives 15 food per part.
So the only advantage of the berry carrot pie is the Yum bonus.

But, if, instead of using your bowl of berries and carrots on a crust, you use it on a lamb, and then butcher the sheep, you get 4 meat and you can literally make 4 mutton pies instead. And as a bonus, you just generated a sheep dung which is very usefull for other tasks.

TLDR: In advanced towns, berries/carrots should never go into pies. Mutton meat should go into pies.

You disagree as you haven't seen a true good town yet most likely. a competent set of players coupled with decent size (not oversize) farms can easily maintain batches of mixed veg pies. Yum is not to be underestimated, eventually you will be in towns often with potentials of 13 - 15 yum with very little effort.

'only yum'? Yes but only if you want the longest productive lives without dashing for food every couple of minutes

Obviously you wouldn't choose a pie over compost, that is very obvious but the time comes with well maintained towns that you're looking at fields of carrot and massive excesses of berries simply as people know to eat more complex foods and prioritise making them.
You'll get it when the current flood are capable of big well stocked towns.

#25 2018-12-03 23:39:25

Catfive

lionon wrote:

Learning smithing is important, but in my opinion only seldom a full time job for a whole life time. If you need some tool smith it and pick up your previous job. I'd rather put here the scavenger as an important job to gather the iron. But most towns I've didn't actually die to iron shortage.

The biggest thread to a town is a generation with noob-infection (often combined with infertility a.k.a. less players online in total). Nobody knowing how to smith is a clear symptom of that.

Almost never a full time job yes. Maybe can be if you include iron gathering in early gens and wood gathering. A lot of noobs can now do smithing, you can tell as they start picking up everything around the forge and interfering when trying to make vital tools.

Board footer