One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-29 21:02:22

lionon

Meta about town security

Okay, stealing all iron tools and hiding them is a common griefing tactic.

All towns I've seen so far had no to little security precautions regarding this. Despite it would be so hard. Leave space for a common town center on a desert edge. Raise children there. So the nurse(s) and the children could be guards at the same time. Put boxes there and suggest every constructive town member to bring back each and every iron tool after usage into the central boxes. Someone might go away with one or two, but nobody will be able to take all of them even one by one without raising suspicion.

Next to that would city walls with most iron using industry in it. However walls are expensive and I have yet to see a city that would be old enough to have this feasible. The one gate should again be nursery....

Got any other ideas?

#2 2018-11-29 21:17:30

Cecil

Re: Meta about town security

I've been toying with the idea of appointing a sheriff. Give him a backpack with a knife and an arrow, and tell him to go hog wild on PKs and griefers, and explain to berry locusts how to eat adult food, and also tell them to groom a replacement to keep the system going. It should actually be a pretty busy life at a well developed base.

I wouldn't have the patience or interest to do that for an hour, but you could probably find someone who's willing.

#3 2018-11-29 21:58:45

Catfive

Cecil wrote:

I've been toying with the idea of appointing a sheriff. Give him a backpack with a knife and an arrow, and tell him to go hog wild on PKs and griefers, and explain to berry locusts how to eat adult food, and also tell them to groom a replacement to keep the system going. It should actually be a pretty busy life at a well developed base.

I wouldn't have the patience or interest to do that for an hour, but you could probably find someone who's willing.

Oh i'm sure you find someone, quite possibly a griefer or someone with self esteem issues to go on a mini power trip and best of all they are armed by you!

Common militia works far better here. seen it many times and commonly effective when you get a couple of good players watching out for problem causers. I'm armed in almost every life and I know many others are too.

#4 2018-11-29 22:15:28

lionon

Cecil wrote:

But who watches the guards?

#5 2018-11-30 01:02:26

startafight

lol history repeats itself i guess

we did this a while back n wow..... the amount of incapable guards who hoard the weapons and just sponge off other ppl while harassing innocents was honestly more annoying than griefers

this kind of system only lasts 3 generations at the most and usually breaks down on gen 2 cos the previous "sheriff" gives away their weapons to some noob who dies of starvation in a farm/gets murdered at age 23 or to a murderer in the making

its better to have knives spread out amongst the common folk than relegating murder duties to one person who can easily take advantage of it

#6 2018-11-30 05:47:02

desertsyd

JackTreehorn wrote:

I think the safest option is to only two to three knives in a city and melt down the rest.

I'm pretty sure there is no way of destroying a knife currently.

#7 2018-11-30 07:22:44

pein

meta: knives are not for noobs
your relations mean nothing
don't give weapons to newbies, they cant use it as a tool and misuse it as a weapon
give the knife to someone who is composting, pie making but at least works hard

i seen too many lazy girls with a knife aand they just stab left and right the people while not using for pies and sheep, and stab you for killing the real griefers

Last edited by pein (2018-11-30 10:19:16)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-11-30 07:26:33

lionon

I just wondering, killing a bear does that destroy two arrows?

(That may be a reason why towns often harrased by a griefer, which also like releasing any bear caves in sight get low on arrows very fast).

In my opinion having some bow&arrows around is for common defense more effective than knifes. However I've seen it again and again, a pile bows but no arrows to be seen...

#9 2018-11-30 16:34:43

Starknight_One

lionon wrote:

I just wondering, killing a bear does that destroy two arrows?

(That may be a reason why towns often harrased by a griefer, which also like releasing any bear caves in sight get low on arrows very fast).

In my opinion having some bow&arrows around is for common defense more effective than knifes. However I've seen it again and again, a pile bows but no arrows to be seen...

No, you can recover the arrows from the corpse. You used to have to do it before you skinned the creature, but I think it auto-removes them now. (I pull them manually to be sure.)

#10 2018-11-30 18:49:01

gabal

What do you need knife for legitimally? Just baking and shepharding? I usually leave my knife to a person who has interest in making bread or who is helping with the sheep pen.

#11 2018-11-30 20:54:37

Kinrany

What do you need knife for legitimally?

To kill griefers?  Am I missing the point?

#12 2018-11-30 21:46:52

Daffex

oh i wanted to become the mighty Huns and had conviced a lady to jion me in my nomadic journy

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#13 2018-11-30 21:49:02

Daffex

also i am the other half and dont offen play so please dont think this is usal game play for me / the othe half

I prefer to call my children after final fantasy characters.
- Love making sauerkraut! - Hate letting kids die.

I miss surnames. Remember surnames?

#14 2018-12-01 12:34:37

pein

gabal wrote:

What do you need knife for legitimally? Just baking and shepharding? I usually leave my knife to a person who has interest in making bread or who is helping with the sheep pen.

mango and latex too, also paper making but that kinda rp mostly
i would chose the shepherd most of times
as its highest tech
some can know how to cut bread or kill sheep but he wont make compost

but generally only the ones who make compost, mines, smithing, even get some firewood, water,kindling those are the ones who deserve pack and knife as they don't do it for themselves, its easy to give clothes when you didn't made them or fix a farm when soil and water is right there
don't decide based on family relations, one can be  your daughter, but it wont mean she can use a knife
i seen people give knife and request getting stabbed, but a newbie daughter who talks a lot, gets power hungry

i would even say knives should be personal thing and go back to scrap metal when you die, you shouldn't have one when you can not make one

i seen this noobs who are like 'gimme the towns only backpack you made in 20 min cause i found a knife''
knife is high tech, want to have one? make your storage first then make your knife, takes a few seconds max a few minutes if you got resources

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#15 2018-12-01 14:14:09

WomanWizard

I'd like to add Doctor as a legitimate job that needs a knife, and with the rise in population, it might be time for doctors to make a comeback.

Of course, it's probably more efficient to just ask the shepherd or baker if they know how to cure an arrow wound before passing on the knife, but having someone RP a doctor for a bit might spread the word of clinics and healing to the newbies who panic the moment they are stabbed.

#16 2018-12-01 18:47:49

Booklat1

WomanWizard wrote:

I'd like to add Doctor as a legitimate job that needs a knife, and with the rise in population, it might be time for doctors to make a comeback.

Of course, it's probably more efficient to just ask the shepherd or baker if they know how to cure an arrow wound before passing on the knife, but having someone RP a doctor for a bit might spread the word of clinics and healing to the newbies who panic the moment they are stabbed.

are doctors even legitimate? I'm not sure if healing griefers counts as a job.

#17 2018-12-01 19:14:10

Jk Howling

Okay let me tell you a few things from my personal experiences from playing this game for the last 4-5 months.

Every time- and I mean every SINGLE time- that there is a "Guard" or "Policeman" or "Protector" role in any village I live on, you know what happens? Either they cause unnecessary drama with their roleplaying, hoard every weapon in town, get insta-killed by the first griefer to cross their path, or most often- they spend the entire. fucking. life. running around with a loaded bow, scaring the shit out of people, and doing absolutely nothing productive whatsoever.

And on the other hand, every time I've had a successful town dealing with a griefer, you know how it was handled? By competent workers who were going about their own business and doing other jobs, but happened to have a knife on them. Myself included.

So here's some tips that I've found helps a lot more when combating griefers:

- DON'T HOARD WEAPONS. Period. Nobody needs a backpack full of knives to themselves. It's both a waste of the tool and the materials put into them. And it only takes one griefer to render that entire backpack of weapons useless.

- Pass out the weapons to other workers in your village. They're tools, not heirlooms, and the more people equipped to handle a griefer, the easier it will be to take them down. What's better- one person with 5 knives, or 5 people with one knife? Try to observe a little bit, and give them to players you notice are putting work into the village. The shepherd and baker should be priority, as they actually use the knife in their professions. Don't give them to untried youth or the elderly, and make sure to find an heir to pass your own gear to when you reach old age.

- If you have a knife yourself? That's great. Maybe you'll have to use it at some point. But being a "guard" isn't an actual job in this game. Find something productive to pass your time with. Extra points if it's one that actually utilizes the knife. If there's no shepherd or baker in your town, try to fill in that gap yourself, or perhaps hand the knife to someone who can.

- e observant. Sometimes people can end up focusing too much on their task at hand, and completely disregard other players until it's too late. It doesn't hurt to stop and observe for a moment, see who's doing what. It also doesn't hurt to be wary and keep tabs on players talking to/coming near you. Personally I tend to keep a few blocks distance between me and someone who could potentially have a weapon, often when taling. Those few extra seconds can save your life if someone happens to pull a weapon.

- Communicate. This one's obvious, but actually speaking with your village-mates goes a long way. Personally I've found that warning the townsfolk of a griefer before attempting to deal with it myself has helped a lot in preventing wrongful revenge-killings. The more players know about a situation beforehand, the less impulsive they'll be in reaction, and less confused they might be if the griefer tries to spin it back on you.

- Don't jump to conclusions. Just because you see a bloody knife, doesn't instantly mean they're the bad guy. Ask around a bit, from both witnesses and the participants. Get the story. You may still make mistakes or the wrong call, but it doesn't hurt to at least sort out the situation a little before doing so, rather than leaping to the offense because of a little blood. My personal rule of thumb is that if I didn't see it myself, I try not to get involved, unless there's multiple people to verify a story.

- Don't waste your curse tokens. Cursing should be specifically for the worst of griefers, or at the very least, griefers you witness yourself in the act or can confirm preformed an act of griefing. They should not be used on the mildly annoying- roleplayers, new players, the likes. And NEVER curse someone solely because "they told you to" or "other people were doing it." Mob mentality is not a good thing to have in this game. Make your own decisions on the matter, and think it through a little before using it.

- Keep tabs on the medical supplies. It also doesn't hurt to have some stashed away in case of emergency. People often take the needle+thread from the medic station for other reasons, and griefers can easily disrupt it by scattering the pads. It doesn't hurt to stow these away nearby. And if you don't know how to heal a standard knife/bite wound, try to pick it up from someone. It's a good skill to have.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-12-01 19:15:49)

-Has ascended to better games-

#18 2018-12-01 20:16:08

lionon

I just had a life in a village where there was a tons of shorn sheep in the pen and unsliced bread in the bakery. So I took out, found some iron and smithed a knife, I made bread, I cleaned the pen and since shearing all sheep is a favorite of griefers I stood a little outside again watching the sheep pen. I didn't have a backpack. Then some stupid "guard" chick came by with a knife and said she is watching me... sigh... then when I dropped the knife to eat, she grabbed it additional to the one she had "for safekeeping"... and lo and behold a few minutes later we had some griefer murder that started with her of course. Thanks for the "safekeeping" all knifes idiot. Just because someone runs around with a knife doesn't make them bad or suspicious...

PS: Is it getting worse the last days? I wasn't in a larger non-startup town that hadn't a killing spree going on during my hour..

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-01 20:18:14)

#19 2018-12-01 20:31:29

Monolith_Rans

Never let the main fire go out.  Of someone is shot by an arrow, you need to sterilize a knife on the fire to remove the arrow.  If just one girl survives a murdered spree, then the town has survived even if you, yourself has died.  So, If you are a lady in a murder spree, get out of town.  This brings up something else, sometimes the best way for a family to survive is to be part of multiple towns. If one place gets griefed, the others in the town down the road may survive.  Spread out!

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#20 2018-12-02 10:01:08

Three

I have been in many satelite towns and they usually die out pretty fast, there has been like two examples of them working out really well but I hope there soon will be a third one. As for the knife thing Tarr is always trying to organize a pvp arena to train the newbies in pvp but he gets cursed and killed, if you see anyone making a pvp arena help them, it will work out in the long run

#21 2018-12-02 10:33:13

Booklat1

lionon wrote:

I just had a life in a village where there was a tons of shorn sheep in the pen and unsliced bread in the bakery. So I took out, found some iron and smithed a knife, I made bread, I cleaned the pen and since shearing all sheep is a favorite of griefers I stood a little outside again watching the sheep pen. I didn't have a backpack. Then some stupid "guard" chick came by with a knife and said she is watching me... sigh... then when I dropped the knife to eat, she grabbed it additional to the one she had "for safekeeping"... and lo and behold a few minutes later we had some griefer murder that started with her of course. Thanks for the "safekeeping" all knifes idiot. Just because someone runs around with a knife doesn't make them bad or suspicious...

PS: Is it getting worse the last days? I wasn't in a larger non-startup town that hadn't a killing spree going on during my hour..

The right thing in these situations is to always go for gthe kill. Someone does so much as threaten you, that person needs killing. Someone walks with bow loaded and only one arrow inside town, that person needs killing (more arrows might mean there is a bear).

I've died so many times for not killing the player acting awkwardly towads weapons/other peoeple.

But keep in mind, having a high stab trigger like these will also put you on danger. Learn to fight, to avoid being cursed, to lose on your tracks the people going for revenge.

#22 2018-12-02 11:58:47

lionon

Since I recently had another case... there is *no* reason, why anyone should ever have two or more knifes on them. This is either a griefer trying to prepare are a mascre or an idiot who thinks this keep town safer (which it doesn't, it hurts production and harms security)

#23 2018-12-02 14:19:40

Starknight_One

lionon wrote:

Since I recently had another case... there is *no* reason, why anyone should ever have two or more knifes on them. This is either a griefer trying to prepare are a mascre or an idiot who thinks this keep town safer (which it doesn't, it hurts production and harms security)

If I'm waiting to find someone worthy of it, yes, there is. I'm not leaving a knife laying around for any gung-ho idiot to pick up and 'protect the village' from the shepherd or the baker. If you have a legitimate need for it, ask me... I'll hand it over. But the last time I let someone have a weapon for an unspecified reason, he killed a player who'd wandered into the village from outside 'to protect the village'. From someone competent enough to survive in the wild until he went bald... someone who could have helped us survive. But no... gotta keep the village safe! </sarcasm>

#24 2018-12-02 14:32:49

lionon

Starknight_One wrote:

he killed a player who'd wandered into the village from outside 'to protect the village'.

This makes make me so sad. Happens all the time in bell tower cities now with smaller Eve spiral other family lines manage come it and every so often some idiot things, he has to "cleanse the town"...

However the thing is, with two knifes in your backpack and no one else having one, this is a way higher security risk. If I have a knife to spare, I always find someone who seems to be productive doing something and hand it over. Preferable backer or shephard/gardener. But anyone productive will do. Griefers don't work productively, ever. Never had a bad experience with this. To repeat hoarding knifes is a security risk.

PS: Now that I think of it, when I'm busy in town and don't have a knife, I might put an arrow in the backpack. There are almost always a few bows around, but arrows is what griefers get rid of.

Last edited by lionon (2018-12-02 14:37:42)

#25 2018-12-03 02:32:23

pein

lionon wrote:

you got wrong priorities man
my rules are: i get a pack or apron asap, every single life
i don't care about clothing that much, i can be naked, but i need storage, that's private, i have plans i got resources i make for a reason and time limit
i seen people carry knife in basket then stab others cause they go for it or people who let knives in the open for general use
can be ok, smaller population, lot of resources, but not on big families

knife is high tech, file making is a long process, and knife is valuable for tires, bread and sheep
you can make it is nice, but you shouldn't ever make a knife if you cannot store it
even hiding behind a tree is better than having a knife in a basket or such
apron or pack isn't that hard to make, if you cannot make, you don't deserve a weapon
if i see a young kid with a weapon, im always suspicious
lot of griefers do that, first thing they do is find a weapon and kill some girl for their gear,i kinda get it, some dumb moms toss every good clothing on a useless annoying chick who cannot even use it properly
im pissed too when my little sister gets the good stuff and no one gives a fuck about me even if im working

you got file and sheep you don't need a bow and arrow
if you want to hunt and found a bow, stash the arrow inside city, loaded bow means you are 1 click away to kill someone from afar
i neve stand next to a weapon, never talk with a weapon holder from closeby

i step one up and left, that's enough time to react to a knife pull, also i see speech bubbles better, if someone doesn't understand why is disturbing a loaded bow inside 3 tiles , doesn't deserve having one

no storage no weapon inside city
or at least talk nicely and ask others if you can use one for something
i seen to many time kids go for weapon and means trouble

Board footer