One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-28 15:37:18

lionon

Suggestion: Overpowering players (especially griefers)

Following issue: recently had a case of a murder rampage griefer that unfortunally went into a little preperation. First they must have stolen all ready available knifes, arrows and the file and hid them somewhere deep in the forest, and destroyed the milkweed farm and created lassos of all available milkweed... then started murder one after the other, without the town being able to do much against it, yes s/he got cursed several times, but nothing to make that particular murder run stop. It was also a fairly old town so all the even semi-near grasslands were already picked clean, so no way to quickly get a rope there also. Soon after I died (of old age! take that griefer) I noticed someone eventually nevertheless managed to kill her. Dunno how. Okay the town could have prepared better for security, fair enough, like leaving the knifes and arrows in the nursery where there is practically constantly someone. We actually had a player with a knife in the backyard, but she killed him first and in the resulting turmoil managed to get hold of it.. Nevertheless:

So suggestion: Could we have it, that several barehanded players could physically overpower another player? First player to right click another adult, makes both of them freeze for say 15 seconds until that player breaks free... and have a (dunno) 60 seconds cool down phase before the player can hold them again. It's supposed the equivalent of grabbing someone by the arm. Rude if without reason, but real no damage down. If a second player right clicks the held player, they become held indefinitely. Useful for interrogations to query an unwilling subject about what happened. Third player right clicking the person and holding them for another say 15 seconds strangles them to death and becomes red handed / killer flagged.

#2 2018-11-28 17:17:38

Psykout

Re: Suggestion: Overpowering players (especially griefers)

Whats to stop people from using this system to grief? You could hold down a player to starve them or something along those lines. Imagine if a team of griefers came together and just strangled everyone? Never ever trust a triplet spawn...

#3 2018-11-28 17:36:52

lionon

Psykout wrote:

Whats to stop people from using this system to grief? You could hold down a player to starve them or something along those lines. Imagine if a team of griefers came together and just strangled everyone? Never ever trust a triplet spawn...

Because the basic assumption is, the positive forces to still outweight the negatives by a fair amount. Once the destructors woulbe be in the majority  it's over anyway, nothing would and should stop them there.

Well if three come together and just strangle someone.. in the woods? Well it wouldn't be so hard for them to get their hands on a (stolen) weapon anyway. So I don't see a big difference there... In town.. well many people would see them, and again, it wouldn't be soo hard to get their hands on a knife/bow&arrow anyway.

The issue is if a negative minority (or single person) can seriously disrupt a vast majority without them being able to do much about it.

#4 2018-11-28 18:09:01

Gederian

I think it would be great if multiple people could use iron tools on people in the murder slowdown. For instance, if two people hit you with an ax and a hoe than you die or your slowdown is extended until you starve or someone else feeds you.

#5 2018-11-29 00:15:04

Psykout

lionon wrote:
Psykout wrote:

Because the basic assumption is, the positive forces to still outweight the negatives by a fair amount. Once the destructors woulbe be in the majority  it's over anyway, nothing would and should stop them there.

Well if three come together and just strangle someone.. in the woods? Well it wouldn't be so hard for them to get their hands on a (stolen) weapon anyway. So I don't see a big difference there... In town.. well many people would see them, and again, it wouldn't be soo hard to get their hands on a knife/bow&arrow anyway.

The issue is if a negative minority (or single person) can seriously disrupt a vast majority without them being able to do much about it.

Then whats the difference of just having a weapon to kill said griefer? You mention it wouldn't be so hard to get their hands on a knife, same goes for everyone else then. Gotta think of both sides. On the other side of your suggestion, someone could easily use it negatively. Grabbing the smith to troll and grief, mothers trying to feed babies. You would be giving them a way to affect players without even needing a tool, just bare hands. Normal players would never need to use it unless there is a griefer, griefers could use it anytime they want to try and grief. More accessible to those with bad intentions than those with good in my opinion. The destructors are not in the majority, so why do we need this, if there is possibility of more risk added? You say no damage done, but getting locked down for 15 seconds could very very easily just mean death. Also there is nothing right now that is a channel, as in you click it and you are tied to the object frozen for a duration. That itself would be a new element to the game that is far from the others when it comes to manipulating objects/players.

#6 2018-11-29 01:30:27

Jadelink

It's a lot easier if non griefers can improves a (poor) weapon out of most tools (shovels, hoes, poles, hatchets, etc) which ought to have some ill effect if you hit someone with them.  Griefers are normally a small minority who are disproportionately empowered by the fact that weaponless people are literally as defenseless as babies.

Realistically, they shouldn't be able to hide/hold the knives, then fight down an entire town as they can do now.  As it stands a dozen able bodied adults with agricultural impliments are helpless before one with a knife, which just shouldn't be the case.  It doesn't reflect the realities of stone age societies at all.

Last edited by Jadelink (2018-11-29 01:50:42)

#7 2018-11-29 05:28:52

lionon

Psykout wrote:

Then whats the difference of just having a weapon to kill said griefer? You mention it wouldn't be so hard to get their hands on a knife, same goes for everyone else then.

Dude, please, PLEASE read my original post with a minimum of mental attention again.

#8 2018-11-29 05:31:02

lionon

Jadelink wrote:

It's a lot easier if non griefers can improves a (poor) weapon out of most tools (shovels, hoes, poles, hatchets, etc) which ought to have some ill effect if you hit someone with them.  Griefers are normally a small minority who are disproportionately empowered by the fact that weaponless people are literally as defenseless as babies.

Realistically, they shouldn't be able to hide/hold the knives, then fight down an entire town as they can do now.  As it stands a dozen able bodied adults with agricultural impliments are helpless before one with a knife, which just shouldn't be the case.  It doesn't reflect the realities of stone age societies at all.

Yes, well basically a stone or stick could do it... But yes you got the intention, it just doesn't make sense that a vast majority of people can't overpower a single person when they rid the knifes and arrows first.

#9 2018-11-29 06:36:02

Vexenie

lionon wrote:
Psykout wrote:

What if, you can hold and strangle people, who have a bloodied weapon, it drops on floor
But a normal person can be only held to get attention or something

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#10 2018-11-29 06:39:29

lionon

Vexenie, a reasonable discuss able point. But the issue still stands, a griefer getting first rid of weapons can still harm the village considerable without murdering but them only being able to stand by watch them do it, albeit a large number of people should easily be able to stop a single one with use of force, even without having to carry knifes...

#11 2018-11-29 11:43:38

Booklat1

lionon wrote:
Psykout wrote:

(...)

But that is a bad assumption. Griefers won't fight fairly in the middle of town, they'll ambush people. they'll do exactly what this one did, prepare threats and then come after people.

Also, have you any idea of how many rape simulations people will make if there is a mechanic of grabbing others?

I agree with your general idea, but i think th best solution would be a disarming system with a club or something.

#12 2018-11-29 12:12:02

lionon

Booklat1 wrote:

Also, have you any idea of how many rape simulations people will make if there is a mechanic of grabbing others?

Okay, thats a horrible idea that didn't even come to my mind...

I agree with your general idea, but i think th best solution would be a disarming system with a club or something.

Also fine. Whatever variation works, the basic idea is, a bunch of people should be able to stop one person without much dedicated hightech stuff (and yes this includes an bow&arrow)

Last edited by lionon (2018-11-29 12:13:40)

#13 2018-11-29 17:20:22

pein

positive forces? you mean the bunch of noobs who eat what others produce?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2018-11-29 18:04:32

lionon

pein wrote:

positive forces? you mean the bunch of noobs who eat what others produce?

I'd consider those neutral.

#15 2018-11-30 15:23:35

Three

Come on if noobs actually fid pvp this would not be a problem

#16 2018-11-30 21:53:53

BlueDiamondAvatar

The solution is to have multiple people carrying knives in their backpacks, not just the one that was targeted in your example.  This has worked well in several villages for me.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#17 2018-12-01 01:58:37

Tramax

Nah blue,  it encourages a player killing over petty things. Then someone who sees everything goes down kills the initial murderer... Then someone with no idea what's going on sees the second murderer running away trying to get someone to feed them so they kill Wegener feeds murderer number two... etcetera etcetera

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

Board footer