One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-17 02:02:13

GreatShawn

Iron too rare

Just played a game where I tried to set up an eve camp with lots of suicide kids, and I couldn't find a single iron ore around the badlands beside my camp. With that my camp died. Only hope that Jason took notice and can nerf the iron nerf because Iron is like black gold right now in this game.

#2 2018-11-17 06:42:03

pein

Re: Iron too rare

the problem is the not so random generation

i often see chunks of map with a single item in it
like onion biome, tons of onion in green biome but nothing else, during my bell run i seen badlands with 20 muflons and some wolfs

food and branches regenerate, so long term those are good for a camp, but yeah, iron can be make or break

with zoomout mod i had a run where i couldn't find a normal spot with water, settled for 2 savannah ponds which was close to green bioem and had some desert, and like 3 ponds to right, other than that was a 400x400 mostly useless place, and even if this wasn't bad enough, iron was nowhere
i often see towns with a lot of badlands, but if you cant get 10 lose iron you cant make a mine, and lot of people dot make pickaxe, and if this doesn't happen first gen, you need  shovels and hoes at alarming rate

he already tried and we all said iron is not enough

now or do something with those not so random chances or  spawn 10 iron randomly in a radius after some eve chuck some home marker

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2018-11-17 10:11:34

MultiLife

Yep. The game is too randomly generated to just cut spawning numbers. The power of frustration and disappointment powers my energy to sound like a broken record over this. Bring back ground iron and make mines require maintenance and/or work and then give x amount of iron per mine floor/item sacrifice, no random collapse! Unless I can fix collapses.

Like Pein mentioned, I've seen empty biomes too, or biomes with one type of item in it. Once there was a snow biome, grass biome, a desert biome and a savannah biome next to each other, and they were completely empty. All of them, just splotches of colours. I thought our camp was next to a city or something, like maybe someone had cut the trees and such but nope.
Once there was a small badland with 5 bear caves, cramped into the area.

Yesterday I found amazing desert-swamp-berry greens spot but it had spawned 3 snakes and 3 boars in it.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-11-17 10:13:56)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2018-11-17 13:19:06

arkajalka

The main problem with iron being so scarse is that most people dont seem to be able to nomad outside of the town. Literally 80% of the folk just hug the city and do whatever choir they prefer.

Iron being so scarse and the fact that most of the people dont roam for resourses leaves the few capable players required to smith, make compost, roam for iron, roam for sheep, roam for rope. It´s just too much for one persons shoulders. Like if you roam for iron then theres no one to make the tools needed. Most dont even roam for rope and just waste 4 soil plots to get one. Literally one persons whole lifespan worth of food instead a 5min roam outside of the town safety.

People learn to go nomad. Pick a sharp stone, make a home mark with skever. Run out of town. --->water biome-->basket-->fill the basket with wild goodies-->knock a seal-->wear its skin-->pick some rope-->make a reed skirt-->pick some iron -->profit a blooming town with capabilities and resources to go in to the infinity.

Sharp stone op, nerf it pls.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#5 2018-11-17 13:24:13

lowdt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog_iron

just want to leave it here

#6 2018-11-17 15:53:31

Catfive

arkajalka wrote:

The main problem with iron being so scarse is that most people dont seem to be able to nomad outside of the town. Literally 80% of the folk just hug the city and do whatever choir they prefer.

Iron being so scarse and the fact that most of the people dont roam for resourses leaves the few capable players required to smith, make compost, roam for iron, roam for sheep, roam for rope. It´s just too much for one persons shoulders. Like if you roam for iron then theres no one to make the tools needed. Most dont even roam for rope and just waste 4 soil plots to get one. Literally one persons whole lifespan worth of food instead a 5min roam outside of the town safety.

People learn to go nomad. Pick a sharp stone, make a home mark with skever. Run out of town. --->water biome-->basket-->fill the basket with wild goodies-->knock a seal-->wear its skin-->pick some rope-->make a reed skirt-->pick some iron -->profit a blooming town with capabilities and resources to go in to the infinity.

Sharp stone op, nerf it pls.

Some settlements I will be the only one who ranges outside town and often the only one who will range far. There is much less iron and many less veins, I usually can find some but I haven't seen any iron deposits in a few days, only surface iron

#7 2018-11-17 16:33:17

arkajalka

Just spend half of my life roaming for iron on an eve camp. Found 7 iron in 30min... its just too rare. How are you supposed to even get to the pickaxe phase where you can make a mining kit.

For mining kit you need:
-Smith hammer, axe, adze, saw, file, chisel, froe and  pick axe.

So all in all 8 ores if you skip communitys other needs like shovels and hoes. So if you spend most of your life roaming around searching for iron you'll probably make it there, but by that time the rest of your camp is on starvation cause people cant make compost or take care of the farms.

This iron nerf forces people who know how to do things on a mindles roam for iron instead of teaching people how to run the soil cycle and craft edibles. So by the time you have the irons, the new player base has cut down all the wheat, withered your berry plantation, seeded all the carrots and liberated the sheep so theres no need for any tools cause everything is already slowly decaying.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

#8 2018-11-17 17:45:55

MultiLife

I spent two male lives from child to old age scanning badlands. I took a lot of pictures. Maybe I will make a collage soon in a new thread so people can see how bad it was.

In summary: big or small, most badlands had 3 ground ore.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-11-17 17:50:38)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#9 2018-11-17 18:17:41

arkajalka

One life two irons. Nowdayes instead of setting up farms eves just go to scout iron so you can hit the magic 8 by 3rd generation.

#10 2018-11-17 19:18:24

Lily

This is why I complained about Jason's math. He did his math and found there was a ton of iron within a minute walk of any given location. But when you do the math the rest of the way, you find out that a minute walk in every direction is actually a massive area to search. So big, that a person probably can't even search the entire area within their entire life span.

#11 2018-11-18 09:59:48

Psykout

arkajalka wrote:

Just spend half of my life roaming for iron on an eve camp. Found 7 iron in 30min... its just too rare.

Perhaps thats what he wants? In a way when you think about it, spending your life to bring iron to the town as your contribution is neat. Saying you are going out to find it, and might be gone awhile, to show up thirty years later with a cart/backpack+basket is awesome, albeit frustrating when its fruitless. But man, having everyone gather around and say holy crap I thought you died AND have iron to craft desperately needed tools more rewarding than to die an old person tending berry bushes.

Last edited by Psykout (2018-11-18 10:00:18)

#12 2018-11-18 10:14:06

MultiLife

Psykout wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

Just spend half of my life roaming for iron on an eve camp. Found 7 iron in 30min... its just too rare.

Perhaps thats what he wants? In a way when you think about it, spending your life to bring iron to the town as your contribution is neat. Saying you are going out to find it, and might be gone awhile, to show up thirty years later with a cart/backpack+basket is awesome, albeit frustrating when its fruitless. But man, having everyone gather around and say holy crap I thought you died AND have iron to craft desperately needed tools more rewarding than to die an old person tending berry bushes.

That happened before the nerf. And yeah if we could get to cart level then we could have cartfuls of ore to bring home but goddamn is it hard to get the saw done and get milkweed rows tilled first. Need a file (which needs chisel and hammer) for a saw too and axe plus froe for the cart ofc, then steel blank and in that time people scream 'where hoe make hoe need shovel make shovel'.
And most likely the town or the runner dies if they are out for 30 years.
You'd be better off dropping all you find asap incase you starve or get attacked by an animal.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-11-18 10:17:23)

#13 2018-11-18 10:34:04

Psykout

MultiLife wrote:
Psykout wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

That happened before the nerf. And yeah if we could get to cart level then we could have cartfuls of ore to bring home but goddamn is it hard to get the saw done and get milkweed rows tilled first. Need a file (which needs chisel and hammer) for a saw too and axe plus froe for the cart ofc, then steel blank and in that time people scream 'where hoe make hoe need shovel make shovel'.
And most likely the town or the runner dies if they are out for 30 years.
You'd be better off dropping all you find asap incase you starve or get attacked by an animal.

Very understandable. I only know post nerf so I can't say too much on how this impacts the game. Neat things aren't always efficient, sometimes downright the absolute opposite.

#14 2018-11-18 11:10:20

arkajalka

Psykout wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

The main problem is that its not fun. Its just mindles roaming and noone is willing to do it. Also i get that its supposed to be somewhat hard, but there should be nerf to the iron mines rather than ground ore. Even tending berrys is lot more interesting than walking 60mins in search of iron. Besides your point of cartfull of iron is invalid. There is no cart as there is no tools to make them.

#15 2018-11-18 11:29:37

Psykout

arkajalka wrote:
Psykout wrote:
arkajalka wrote:

The main problem is that its not fun. Its just mindles roaming and noone is willing to do it. Also i get that its supposed to be somewhat hard, but there should be nerf to the iron mines rather than ground ore. Even tending berrys is lot more interesting than walking 60mins in search of iron. Besides your point of cartfull of iron is invalid. There is no cart as there is no tools to make them.

I mentioned the cart because its an extension of inventory but not viable until you find, albeit never practical. I am curious to what the game used to be, love the game as it is, and am even more curious and excited to what it could become.

Board footer