One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-12 15:35:41

helloworld

how did you learn to play?

When you bought the game. How did you learn to play the game?
(The process of ur learning, and learning curve)
And how long did it take?

Personally, I saw the game on youtube and decided to buy it (general idea of put item together to craft, survive)
Then I got into the first game (was eve) easy to survive, but i didnt noe how to make anything. So i suicided and went online found recipe. Tried them out in-game. Knew how to make things, then a dude came along forging axe really fast. When i saw that, i knew how to become a skilled smite (efficient). I think from there it was mostly small things that i learned over time.

I guess my learning curve was exponential then dies off (not that this game is difficult by any means to learn or play).
And my method of learning was study the basic and recipe first then experience + watching skill players.

I wonder if this applies to real world learning curve.

Last edited by helloworld (2018-11-12 15:41:56)

#2 2018-11-12 15:51:00

Randomname

Re: how did you learn to play?

I can't remember her name now but I had a really good mother in one life.  I entered the game at the same time as a lot of other new players thanks to YouTube recommending some let's play of it to me.  Bought the game and loaded right on in except at first I didn't know how to talk (never read the hit enter to speak in the loading), didn't know how to eat and mostly got left by players or starved the second I got hair.  This went on for a few lives until I got to my mum.  She taught me the basics such as speaking, eating, making home marker, farming and gathering.  So pretty much on day one of the game I got lucky.  Just before she died she said if you see something you want to learn go to Onetech, which I did and that is what I did in the future.

When the tutorial finally came in to the game I taught myself  to smith using one tech and the easy resources it provides.  Later on I also practiced smithing in an empty server where I solo Eve'd until I had made my first file, chisel, knife and shears.

It also took me awhile to learn hunting without running right into the wolf/boar/bear I was trying to shoot, but I practised those skills as a boy so no one cared much if I was an idiot lol.

#3 2018-11-12 15:52:53

MultiLife

Me;
- watched tons of videos and listened to all tips and tricks on them
- when understood most of the stuff and priorities, bought the game, surviving to 60 most of the time
- started with easy jobs, when possible, would learn to bake, smith or shepherd etc., went back to easy jobs when it got overwhelming
- patience and general understanding of some logic flaws the game had/has
- filled in information as I went, getting more tips from others

From that I can gather that we should keep mentioning tips and tricks so others can eavesdrop and learn stuff. Mention stuff like "two pieces of soil for less hoe uses!" and such.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2018-11-12 16:22:10

happynova

I did a lot of flailing around cluelessly at first.  I think most of the real learning I did in the beginning was assisted by other people.  I remember a baby showing me what I was doing wrong in my attempts to make fire, and a lovely, helpful soul teaching me pie-making.  I also found the crafting guide helpful, but more as a way to refresh my memory of things I'd already been shown how to do in-game.  There's just way to much to memorize it all out of context before you start playing!

It was a long time before I felt I really understood how sheep work, even so.  And blacksmithing took me ages to learn.  It just seemed so dauntingly complicated and to happen so fast!  I eventually ended up watching some  tutorial videos on blacksmithing and sheep, which really helped.  And I practiced the blacksmithing at times when I wouldn't get in anybody's way doing it, mostly when I was the last male in a dead family.  These days, the extra room in the tutorial is a great place to practice smithing on your own. 

Mind you, these days there's also a lot more stuff to learn than there was when I started, back in April or May.

#5 2018-11-12 16:42:43

Starknight_One

Pretty much the same as Multi, although I still haven't mastered surviving to 60 most of the time. Although I did do 3 Eve runs on an empty server, surviving to 60 each time and building up my base. Sadly, my 4th run ended with me starving at 57... I misjudged how far I had to go to the berry bush. hmm

Extensive reading of recipes on OneTech and a good memory means I generally know what I need to do. I've practiced smithing in the tutorial several times and I'm still unhappy with my ability, but I can escape the tutorial if I want and can survive to 60 there without any problem. I'm extremely confident in my ability to farm and cook. I've done very little woodwork, but nothing seems particularly tricky there... it's just a matter of learning the recipes. Since my second time through the tutorial, I've turned the boxes into sledges and hauled food and branches to the end area so I can focus on smithing, and I know how to make a box and a bucket. I can figure the rest out if I need to. smile

#6 2018-11-12 18:48:18

gabal

Even before I bought the game I went to discord and asked is it possible to learn things organically in game. I tried to do it but in the end curiosity and frustration got the better of me and I looked up guides and watched youtube videos which was how I first found out about this game. Graystillplays if I'm not mistaken.

I would try to set myself goals for each life. Like - next time I'm born into a city I will learn how to make compost. This time I will try to tame a horse. It would take my whole life but in the end I would master it and know it for the next lives.

#7 2018-11-12 19:03:05

Tea

I saw the game somewhere, I don't really remember where, but it seamed fun so I had do buy it immediately.

I was never a running child, too scared to make a mistake, so I usually stood still and watched the others. That's how I learned smithing, by watching the smith and check the OneTech when I forgot stuff. I asked people as well if I didn't understand.

Once I wanted to learn something new but no one was making that specific job, I checked the OneTech and took my time doing it. It took me a while to have a successful Eve run but after a while, I got the hang of it. Never really lived until old age, didn't really pay much attention to it ^^

But yea, observing others, trying out by myself, OneTech and some videos helped me a lot.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#8 2018-11-12 19:41:43

Starknight_One

gabal wrote:

Even before I bought the game I went to discord and asked is it possible to learn things organically in game. I tried to do it but in the end curiosity and frustration got the better of me and I looked up guides and watched youtube videos which was how I first found out about this game. Graystillplays if I'm not mistaken.

I would try to set myself goals for each life. Like - next time I'm born into a city I will learn how to make compost. This time I will try to tame a horse. It would take my whole life but in the end I would master it and know it for the next lives.

Heh. Caught and tamed my first horse today. And hunted a mouflon so we could have sheep... but I don't think anyone was working on a pen. And I never got to tell anyone it was there. The town's probably either dead or in the throes of dying, anyway. The few competent players I saw were so focused on their tasks they couldn't be bothered trying to educate people. smile

#9 2018-11-12 20:30:24

MultiLife

Starknight_One wrote:

And hunted a mouflon so we could have sheep... but I don't think anyone was working on a pen. And I never got to tell anyone it was there. The town's probably either dead or in the throes of dying, anyway. The few competent players I saw were so focused on their tasks they couldn't be bothered trying to educate people. smile

Why didn't you make the pen firstttt? Isn't that a normal thing to do before hunting mouflons?

Anyways if the tasks were survival related, the competent players may have been carrying. Sometimes you have to spend time carrying the town to make time windows for teaching.
I was in a sheepless, penless newbie town just now, I wonder if you were there. There was a boy planting milkweed in silence, could've been for a moufflon bow perhaps? I was making wooden floors to border a berry farm, I did teach as I went.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2018-11-12 20:48:38

Starknight_One

MultiLife wrote:
Starknight_One wrote:

And hunted a mouflon so we could have sheep... but I don't think anyone was working on a pen. And I never got to tell anyone it was there. The town's probably either dead or in the throes of dying, anyway. The few competent players I saw were so focused on their tasks they couldn't be bothered trying to educate people. smile

Why didn't you make the pen firstttt? Isn't that a normal thing to do before hunting mouflons?

Anyways if the tasks were survival related, the competent players may have been carrying. Sometimes you have to spend time carrying the town to make time windows for teaching.
I was in a sheepless, penless newbie town just now, I wonder if you were there. There was a boy planting milkweed in silence, could've been for a moufflon bow perhaps? I was making wooden floors to border a berry farm, I did teach as I went.

Someone else had asked if they could help me when I was making pies. I said no, but we needed a pen for sheep... he said okay and went off. I thought he was working on it... I was busy trying to make pies so we could eat. Then another person started making pies, so I went looking for a mouflon. (We had two bows and at least two arrows, maybe more.) I didn't lead it back to town, just killed the mama so we could get the baby later, and when I got back to town, they had let the homefire go out because they couldn't conceive of the idea of moving two screens to find firewood (it was plentiful ALL around the town). A child was trying to start a new one, so I ran off and came back with some firewood for him so he would know which direction it was in. Then I checked the bakery, and was trying to explain to the person making pies that just making rabbit pies is bad; we should have a variety to increase Yum bonus. I starved trying to explain that... never did get to figure out if we had a pen started or not.

EDIT: As for that... one person was building a stone building. I suppose that's important, but we didn't even have a sheep pen yet... buildings can come later, yeah?

Last edited by Starknight_One (2018-11-12 20:49:51)

#11 2018-11-12 21:08:22

MultiLife

Starknight_One wrote:

Someone else had asked if they could help me when I was making pies. I said no, but we needed a pen for sheep... he said okay and went off. I thought he was working on it... I was busy trying to make pies so we could eat. Then another person started making pies, so I went looking for a mouflon. (We had two bows and at least two arrows, maybe more.) I didn't lead it back to town, just killed the mama so we could get the baby later, and when I got back to town, they had let the homefire go out because they couldn't conceive of the idea of moving two screens to find firewood (it was plentiful ALL around the town). A child was trying to start a new one, so I ran off and came back with some firewood for him so he would know which direction it was in. Then I checked the bakery, and was trying to explain to the person making pies that just making rabbit pies is bad; we should have a variety to increase Yum bonus. I starved trying to explain that... never did get to figure out if we had a pen started or not.

EDIT: As for that... one person was building a stone building. I suppose that's important, but we didn't even have a sheep pen yet... buildings can come later, yeah?

Sure, unless the stone walls were for a sheep pen! big_smile There has been some amazing ancient stone wall sheep pens in cities.
But yeah, sounds familiar. The newbie blindness is real! And the struggle is real.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-11-12 21:09:35)

#12 2018-11-12 23:31:29

CrazyEddie

I bought the game on Steam a few days ago, after Jason sent an announcement to his mailing list. I watched the trailer and then bought it instantly.

I started the game blind. I played the tutorial, which was excellent. Being a curious and ornery sort, I decided not to pet the rattlesnakes and instead found the optional challenge. Using the challenge (which is also excellent!) I taught myself how to make fire, pottery, and steel. It took me four lives to get up to steel ingots before dying of old age, and even at that I didn't get the tools to break free. I was a little curious, so I did a quick search and discovered that it's possible to break free in under nine minutes!

The challenge was lots of fun, slowly figuring out how the game works and what some of the recipes are. And being ornery, I kept retrying the tutorial, saying "Okay, I did better that time, I just know I can beat it this time!". But when I learned that I was close to beating the challenge but nowhere near doing it as fast as experienced players, I decided that was a good time to go ahead and start playing for real.

I decided early on that I didn't want to look up the recipes and tech tree online; this felt like a game that would reward learning through exploration and discovery. And I was right!

Everything I've learned so far has been through trial and error, observing other players, and being explicitly taught in-game. Occasionally, after I've been exposed to a basic concept, I'll check the wiki or onetech to fill in details I might have missed or gotten confused by. But I try to minimize that so I can maximize the fun of discovery.

I taught myself firemaking, pottery, and forging (but not smithing!) with the guidance of the tutorial. I learned berry bush replenishment after spawning into a large, well-run town with a big berry farm. In a different town, one that was struggling, an elder patiently walked me through more advanced farming. I learned omelette-making by watching someone do it and then taking over from him. Later I used my firestarting, plate-making, and eggsmithing skills to pull a small town back from the brink of collapse, which felt *awesome*.

Just from being in the game and seeing what's been built by others I'm starting to get a sense of what's possible in the game and a vague idea of how the big picture works. But I can tell that I've only just scratched the surface, and that's *great*.

Right now when I spawn as Eve I'm working on my foraging and start-up skills, and when I spawn into a town I try to teach what I know ("GO PUT SOIL AND WATER ON THE BERRIES!"), practice what I've learned (carrot farming, pottery, and forging), and learn what I don't know (stews and pies next, I think, plus well-making).

"See one, do one, teach one."

It's fun.

#13 2018-11-12 23:50:41

Fetch

I watched a lot of youtube videos, and also read recipes online to learn things like how to make stew.
People helped, I asked questions in real time in the game. And being an eve a bunch of times was a good way to learn how to do stuff from scratch.
It took me a couple of weeks to really get the hang of it.  I'll fire clay, but I don't smith yet.  Usually if a town is big enough for a forge, there is someone who knows the craft.

I have never used the hints in the lower right corner for how to do something.  If I need in game help I google it on my phone.

#14 2018-11-13 00:08:05

Ducky

Well I bought the game at late February or start of March. At that time there wasn’t a onetech.info so i looked things on the wiki sometimes but the wiki was kinda disorganized at that time specially the crafting part so I basically relied on other people. I started learning in a custom server called norg or something like that in there hunger finished more slowly so it was easy to do stuff and learn. In that server I learnt smithing, pie making and I think also sheep.
Also I sometimes guide myself with hints when I foret an item.

#15 2018-11-13 03:11:23

Go! Bwah!

The wiki + a local hungerless server to play around on.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#16 2018-11-13 08:10:52

Lily

I decided what I wanted to try to learn then looked it up online. Then I would try to do it in game. Looking stuff up then trying to do it helps a lot. You don't need to memorize stuff, and often it takes a bit of trial and error. It helps a lot to have a general idea what to do though.

#17 2018-11-13 09:40:24

Micca

I found the game on youtube and I had to try it. The video taught me nothing, other than to buy it and that mothers are mean.

I remember trying to click stuff to figure out what happend if I combined it, and would get frustrated that a random stick wasnt the stick i needed and a stone wasnt the stone i needed. I spent many lives just eating berries, jumping from wild bush to wild bush. And I remember that the sound of the food bar dropping would hunt me in my dreams for days and when playing other games I got a feeling that I had to remember to eat. It was pretty stressful tongue

I remember the first food I learned how to make was popcorn, so I spent lives after lives just making popcorn, since i knew no other food recipe. Im not the read and learn kinda girl, so I had to learn by doing. But spawning in to more and more bigger cities and asking people how to do stuff, taught me so much. Finally when the tutorial came I would spent a couple lives (read 5) to learn how to smith and make my way out of the tutorial.

I have played the game since beginning of June, and it is my go to game, when I dont wanna play WoW - and I still learn new stuff each life and I have much to learn. I still dont know how to make a knife, haha.

Last edited by Micca (2018-11-13 09:42:19)

#18 2018-11-13 10:00:20

The_Llamacorn

I honestly don't remember a lot of it, but I learned it quite fast. One of the first, and best, memories I have is spawning to a mom who asked me if I was new and I said I was, she dedicated her whole life to teaching me how to play. That was when I learned how to farm carrots (which were the main source of food back then). I wish I could find her again and thank her, she was amazing. Probably the best life I've ever had.

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#19 2018-11-13 11:01:53

pein

watched videos and knew this don't do rules
i had problem with controls, not with the concepts
first i was dying a lot, later i could farm carrots, the only food back then. was much slower, biomes were warmer, so if you planned your next meal you could live 40 years at least. after a bit there were designated moms, i seen tons of babies, sometimes 10-15.

i learned farming, i remember i couldn't make a bowl but if i had one, i could feed myself and maybe 1-2 people

then i was  a rabbit hunter, i became good at surviving off the land, i made packs which lasted generations and we could get back to towns we were in

around apocalipse i made the best town in a swamp with tons of soil, you didn't needed wells, just lot of ponds, and soil, so swamp cities were best, and i relocated some cities but still i had to born to big ones. nothing was culled so eventually most server had big cities and nice things sometimes. i still starved a few times

than i read forums, joriom had a guide about how to Eve, get the ropes, don't keep all kids. etc.
i couldn't keep up a family of 4-6 sometimes, but wasn't that good yet.
but i started to know the tools and make basic ones. even a kiln and bowls.
there were a lot of killings after apocalypse people pvp all around ,you could get back and revenge yourself. i had to defend mself so learned pvp with bow, no one really had knives.

than i lived a few lifes in carl town, i was good all around player,  i could farm and arrange city , i started grasping the concept of making rooms, and after a few good cities i wanted to make a sheep pen. by this time onetech had some recipes listed and i always learned a few items from there.

decay nerf was harder, and we had to use deserts to improve survival rates.

i spent like 5 lifes trying to get sheep in a pen, starving on desert sometimes, i had full gear and that city was badly made. eventually i got sheep but escaped, then we made bigger pen and somehow that city was good for a bit. dung wasn't needed still for the compost so you could make fence posts and gather soil and could sustain families a lot.

we brainstormed on forums and i came up with trash pit pens and made a few, compost was made harder so this was needed to make bigger cities again. the game became much harder and you had to know what you are doing

i was very late on learning smith job, when the famiies died out i trid to test myself and be better at it.

after a while i was the main smith who made all the tools, kinda for a whole month was fulfilling to do it. than i let others do it i just helped out.
i was focusing on pit pens, bigger, better, everything about sheep, cause it was highest tech and made cities viable, it still is, and even was buffed when healing and pads came in.
i think i had unfair advantage on killing and i culled a lot of people who didn't take the advancement of community seriously. we had many griefers and this was a much needed skill.
i was selective on lifes, never really eved, people were bitching a lot about teaching and helping others but i just didn't liked the mentality of people. i always tried to help others but i didn't wanted to spend my life with talking. also the game was higher paced so it would have killed the city  if i do so.

eventually we had a new generatio nof eves, West, Tarr, Scholar, Storm(Mirelli), Turnip. some very good hardcore speedrunners, and people became ok at the game but still a lot of people were kinda useless.
We had many discussions and brainstorming on forums. Updates became slower, and people bored of the game and over analizing stuff.

I made a lot of enemies who are unskilled so i don't care, and a few friends who are awesome.

I think reading guides is good to see the big picture, onetech to know what makes what and how. you can learn ingame, but first learn to survive 60 years feeding yourself and 1-2 others.
than the tutorial speedrun to make axe shovel and break out.

im still learning and i got more patient lately. not really cause the curses or the chain kills, i still kill you if you are asshole. i actually taught people to kill and defend against griefers and to prove not all kills are bad.

few weeks ago cities were pretty good, most people knew to make pens, smithing and eve runs. we made nice places like painter town or casino city. now the influx of new people makes it chaotic and new meta is needed, we try to make it easier for us and others to set some standards. learn to be a good baby, a useful worker, and produce more than you consume and have a plan. make easier for us. all i want from people to keep producing food and live at least 40 years. eventually someone will teach you. but taching how to eat or force feed you 20 years is too big of expectation.

Last edited by pein (2018-11-13 11:03:03)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2018-11-13 21:38:37

Vexenie

Found game on youtube, watched some and became interested
Watched videos for learning and then check out the tech tree
Now I'm a vet

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#21 2018-11-13 22:49:44

Solbusaur

Began with videos, mostly from Twisted and Paragon. After a while I bought the game, and spent a lot of time learning stuff from onetech. I remember when I first saw that there was a medicine update, I was pumped and started finding out how to make medicine. From there, it was just onetech teaching me, as well as some players.

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#22 2019-03-16 03:45:30

YannaChan
Banned

I watched videos and learned some stuff there, then I played the mobile version and built a lot of skills there. I learned how to bake on the desktop version.

#23 2019-03-16 06:57:45

WalrusesConquer

I watched captain sauce. Then justice and honer when I wanted to learn how to play. Then anyone who played the game!
When i first got the gane i knew how to farm and smith

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#24 2019-03-16 12:58:07

NetherCrow
Website

Began with video and then using onetech and my private server.

Chinese Mobile Players are the best griefer around the world. I am ashamed of them. They invent the auto-baby-killer and grave-baby-prison to avoid Others Break their Eve Chain. And the griefer use bear and bow to kill every eve player for their REVENGE. All animal and kiln are killed or destroyed because of envy and hatred.

#25 2019-03-16 13:16:45

Psykout

I spawned on low pop servers and eve chained over and over and over to teach myself. Also if you are learning, leaving a camp as a boy and going out into the wilds and starting a one man camp is a good idea. No kid pressure, low food needed. You can easily get to compost or carts if the resources aren't really spread out. If you can live to 60 on your own every life you decide, you will be good in a camp with others.

Board footer