One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-28 13:20:11

Dodge

The onetech gift and curse

Onetech is a great tool to help new and advanced players navigate trough all the recipes in the game but it also makes the discovering of new recipes an out game thing instead of it being about communication between players in game

Having a one week delay on the onetech update would be nice , because at the moment, the next hours an update is out everything is already been discovered, ideally it would take a few days or at least a few hours to discover the new update

It would keep veteran players busy and increase communication to find the new recipes also it would give a new meaning to paper to share the recipes between villages

also hiding the code in github so there is no cheating possible (at least for a week)

#2 2018-10-28 13:31:17

Anshin

Re: The onetech gift and curse

Or you could not look at it.

Stop ruining nice things for others because of your own lack of personal discipline.

#3 2018-10-28 13:58:48

MultiLife

I'd say it's not the spoiling of a recipe that ruins things. It's the dead end after the recipe is learnt. What to do with this recipe? Not much? Well damn. That's that then.

Some people like me don't want to sponge off of towns by figuring out stuff in-game, or stopping people's work to ask for explanations, ESPECIALLY with complex recipes like pork tacos and sauerkraut, but EVEN MORE ESPECIALLY with recipes that are vanity or not necessary for survival.
But funnily enough I don't use onetech. I don't do the newest things right away (unless people are eager to teach me do it like how it was with milk), I usually see how it is done from a YouTube video of an OHOL player and then repeat it in my gameplay when I have time to do it all by myself.

Back to the dead end thing. It'd be cool if we had more small recipes added in-game, but they'd be intertwining with multiple existing recipes and professions. So instead of one big complex recipe we'd get small useful recipes that can be used to make things diverse and more customizable. Like: new wild herbs, four of them. New pottery item, mortar. New animal, rat. New food, grilled rat. New challenge: infected animal bites. New character mode: dying/ill. New expression: pain.
Then instead of having a one specific thing for one specific area, we could get an interesting layer of gameplay with short recipes that can be repeated and used in small quantities depending on demand. Some herbs could be mixed with food, some would be made into medicine. It'd add a new item to pottery to add to villages and keep in all villages as a standard tool for baking and medicine. A sick rat would be delivering infected bites instead of delivering instantly fatal wounds. And normal rats would be small things to hunt for fun and food.
Dunno how much work that would be but it'd be a more "wide" update that has small recipes to learn and keep in your daily routines instead of these "maybe in one life I have a building to paint, and then it crumbles.. so it's not that important... damn."

Another thing is adding a new level into a profession like a potter. Start your pottery career from clay and evolve to glass items in one life. And then the products they can do on glass level drastically increases the effectiveness of other professions like bakers and medics, so it's not just pottery update.

Only issue I am constantly facing when brainstorming is the realism aspect. Herbs can't heal stuff magically in real life and there is a lot to do to process stuff to make them realistically functional. And all the steps and time requirements in complex recipes push them to "generations effort" and usually generational efforts are cut short by server updates or cities dying. So everytime a recipe turns tedious due to you not being able to do it yourself and having to rely on others (still not happy about white and red roses... sad ) the motivation to do them drops.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-10-28 14:12:48)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2018-10-28 14:09:33

Dodge

Anshin wrote:

Stop ruining nice things for others because of your own lack of personal discipline.

How is it ruining nice things for others when you get the update the next week?

Also even if i dont look at it, other people will and new recipes will be out so it doesnt solve the issue

All i'm saying is, it makes it less fun to not have new recipes be a challenge that we can all work on as a community for a week or at least a few days

#5 2018-10-28 14:15:33

Anshin

Dodge wrote:
Anshin wrote:

How is it ruining nice things for others when you get the update the next week?

Also even if i dont look at it, other people will and new recipes will be out so it doesnt solve the issue

All i'm saying is, it makes it less fun to not have new recipes be a challenge that we can all work on as a community for a week or at least a few days

You and your "stay dumb longer community" can avoid learning for as long as you like by simply not going to OneTech.

#6 2018-10-28 14:21:13

Dodge

@Anshin And now you're just being insulting instead of actually answering my question and statement

Btw im not at all against onetech but about delaying it one week after the update

#7 2018-10-28 14:38:18

Anshin

Dodge wrote:

@Anshin And now you're just being insulting instead of actually answering my question and statement

Btw im not at all against onetech but about delaying it one week after the update

You are trying to force everyone to play your way and only your way, which is knowingly insulting to everyone who doesn't want to play your way. You know exactly what you're doing and your leading questions and personal offense are tactics to play victim.

You don't have to learn from OneTech. Look away. Don't read the popup hints in game. Look away. Play on your own server and don't observe what anyone else is doing. Take as long as you please playing your way. Bring your friends too.

The key here is CHOICE. You play your way, and others play their way. I am not trying to restrict things. You are.

#8 2018-10-28 14:53:39

Dodge

@Anshin Why is delaying one week such a huge deal if you still get access to onetech anyway?

Are you that impatient that you cant wait one week?

#9 2018-10-28 14:59:50

Anshin

Dodge wrote:

@Anshin Why is delaying one week such a huge deal if you still get access to onetech anyway?

Are you that impatient that you cant wait one week?

Think harder about what I already said. Or don't. Your choice.

#10 2018-10-28 15:16:08

Dodge

@Anshin I thought about it, it's the same with the zoom out mod it's available but not part of the intended experience of the game but onetech is on main website so it's slightly different

But i get it, waiting is hard right?

#11 2018-10-29 04:38:19

Booklat1

Dodge wrote:

@Anshin I thought about it, it's the same with the zoom out mod it's available but not part of the intended experience of the game but onetech is on main website so it's slightly different

But i get it, waiting is hard right?

no you dont. what is hard is not getting the choice. unlike you, there are people who like to rush to onetech and learn all recipes.

#12 2018-10-29 08:04:00

Tramax

It's really not the same thing as using a mod.
The same thing would be a mirror site or using the way back machine website that was delayed a week; not the main site delaying itself a week.

Last edited by Tramax (2018-10-29 08:04:56)

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#13 2018-10-29 10:52:12

The_Llamacorn

OneTech is there for people who want to use it. You don't have to use it if you don't want to, you can ask other people instead or try to figure it out yourself. But you can't take it away from other people just because you don't want people to learn recipes so quickly. Either you use it or you don't, you can't force others to/to not use it.

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#14 2018-10-29 11:21:56

FeverDog

Anshin wrote:

Don't read the popup hints in game.

What popup hints?

#15 2018-10-29 11:58:44

gabal

FeverDog wrote:
Anshin wrote:

Don't read the popup hints in game.

What popup hints?

Lower right corner of the UI.

#16 2018-10-29 16:28:24

pein

some stuff i simply don't care, i wasn't making stew for a while, and once i did never again only if parts are there and it's a famine

sometimes onetech is delayed a day but im already done the most advanced stuff just by update notes
you still got to do it, its not like you make paint right away, i was still hovering over items to make painting and i still wanted to do to estimate how much can i make in one life

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer