One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-26 21:59:09

A Seasoned Suiciders Rant

First off, i dont usually post so this bothered me so much that i decided to get off my lazy butt to post this.

This new thing with not wiggling out of arms, i can see it could be useful especially if the bby is needed.

But for people like me i have a specific way of playing and i dont want to be forced to stay because some mom refuses to put me down.

You make me stay. You piss me off. You piss me off, i react in kind and ill make ur life a living hell.

Don't force me to stay if i don't want to.

If i don't want to stay i'm certainly not going to be a productive member of your society.

YOU ARE WASTING BOTH MINE AND YOUR TIME

AND YOUR RESOURCES

To raise me. The second you need to eat and put me down, im running like a rabbit out of hell.

I promise you.

I have this code, i only stay as a baby when my certain conditions are met. They are as follows.

I must be a GIRL

The town must really NEED me

Why?

One, boys suck the game is nothing to me without parenthood

Two, if you don't need me im gonna find someone who does, like an eve or a big town who has no girl kids.

And how do i know if i have them or not at a glance?

I use onelife plus mod.

https://github.com/Awbz/OneLife

If i look into my linage panel and you have 5 girl kids and 4 fertile women, i don't want to stay. I can find someone who needs me much more. And has say only themselves fertile and no girl kids and only has three years to go till old.

Let me sum how i feel in one word:

Pissed.

#2 2018-10-26 22:04:10

Re: A Seasoned Suiciders Rant

As a side note, i really love this game and respect Jason, i just believe things shouldn't be implemented to try and tell me how to play. I never hurt anyone in game, and when i do stay i work hard. I just ask i be allowed to play how i wish to play, with my limited time...

#3 2018-10-26 22:09:08

Randomname

If this happens it's only three minutes and then you can run off, there was way worse ideas being considered (stuck spawning as same family and gender).  This idea is fairly harmless but is sort of a compromise to both sides.  The mothers get to explain to their kids the situation and the babies only need to wait three minutes if they still want out.

Personally I'm not a fan of the parent trap but it could be way, way worse.

#4 2018-10-26 22:10:49

voy178

Maybe you could find another way to be needed? You know... making compost, building a pen, breeding the first sheep/cow etc. Setting up the foundation for society to advance not just building from nothing?

You can still play a parent role by taking care of the little ones by teaching them how to play if they're new (steam is coming so there will be enough). You'll be a wise uncle passing knowledge. That's parenthood too in a way. God knows the mother wont have time seeing how she'll be plagued by children all the time.

#5 2018-10-26 22:12:59

Three mins seems a long time to waste if you have only say one hour total and you just popped on.

I don't get why we should be punished for having free will to play how we wish.

I try being polite and type out p.u.t d.o.w.n p.l.s

they say "nope ur stuck"

which just angers me more tbh

so i threatened to kill there whole family when i grew up and they stabbed me.

And everyone shouted "bad bby"

but honestly good riddance, when i play its at least polite if you don't need the bby to ask them "do you want to live yes or no?"

and then respect their wishes.

One person did ask, but when i said no, they refused to let me die...

#6 2018-10-26 22:15:17

Aurora Aurora

I want to thank you for introducing me to this mod and Im ashamed of myself for not knowing about it earlier

Cheers!

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#7 2018-10-26 22:16:55

voy178 wrote:

Maybe you could find another way to be needed? You know... making compost, building a pen, breeding the first sheep/cow etc. Setting up the foundation for society to advance not just building from nothing?

You can still play a parent role by taking care of the little ones by teaching them how to play if they're new (steam is coming so there will be enough). You'll be a wise uncle passing knowledge. That's parenthood too in a way. God knows the mother wont have time seeing how she'll be plagued by children all the time.

I'm always happy to teach new players, but sometimes i want something specific and i don't feel like boring myself with a monotone big city life. Usually in the city, i'm always stuck farming...

And after five playthroughs in a row of just farming, or just misc city work i don't want anymore of that. Give me a challenge send me to an eve camp, i bet they want someone both willing and some what experienced like me just as much as i want to play there and start at the beginning of the tech tree.

#8 2018-10-26 22:18:28

Aurora Aurora wrote:

I want to thank you for introducing me to this mod and Im ashamed of myself for not knowing about it earlier

Cheers!

No problem man. Untill this update it had insta respawn/death but with this new disconnect thing, it was removed from the mod. Makes my life 10 times more difficult.

Hope you enjoy the mod, i certainly do.

#9 2018-10-26 22:36:21

Aurora Aurora

673751 wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

Cheers!

No problem man. Untill this update it had insta respawn/death but with this new disconnect thing, it was removed from the mod. Makes my life 10 times more difficult.

This has turned into a whole thing of trying to fix my computer now cause the mod wont fucking run

#10 2018-10-26 22:38:04

Aurora Aurora wrote:
673751 wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

Cheers!

This has turned into a whole thing of trying to fix my computer now cause the mod wont fucking run

Did you copy and paste to your main game folder?

#11 2018-10-26 22:42:13

Tarr
Banned

Aurora Aurora wrote:

If not using steam: Download the zip > unzip and place contents into your original game folder > press ohol+ to play with mod.
If using steam: Download zip, go to your steam folder > steamapps > common > One Hour One Life > Put zip content into folder > Remove game app > rename OneLife+ to OneLife > launch steam.

There you go. A winrar is you.

If you're using a mac I have no idea what you do.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-10-26 23:10:28)

fug it’s Tarr.

#12 2018-10-26 22:43:42

Aurora Aurora

Tarr wrote:
Aurora Aurora wrote:

If not using steam: Download the zip > unzip and place contents into your original game folder > press ohol+ to play with mod.
If using steam: Download zip, go to your steam folder > steamapps > common > One Hour One Life > Put zip content into folder > Remove game app > rename OHOL+ to OHOL > launch steam.

There you go. A winrar is you.

If you're using a mac I have no idea what you do.

HERE I AM GOIGN ON A QUEST TO FIX MY COMPUTER WHILE I JUST READ THE INSTRUCTIONS WRONG. I AM GOING TO JUMP OFF A BUILDING. IT IS MIDNIGHT AND IM NOT THE BRIGHTEST

EDIT - NEVRMIDN IT STILL DOESNT FUCKIGN WORK YOU SDL.DLL FILE FUCKER IM GOING TO KILL MYSELF

Last edited by Aurora Aurora (2018-10-26 22:45:26)

#13 2018-10-26 22:44:52

Jk Howling

Aurora Aurora wrote:

Here's something that worked for me:

- Paste/move the OneLife+ file into the OHOL folder [don't move the other files into it]
- Delete the original OneLife file
- Rename the OneLife+ file to simply OneLife

When I left it with the + symbol, the only thing it'd do for me is black screen. Deleting the plus symbol has had it work for me ever since I first tried it when I downloaded the mod about a month ago.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-26 22:45:16)

-Has ascended to better games-

#14 2018-10-26 22:52:00

Aurora Aurora

I got it to wooork, I forgot to move it..... Its 1 am and im not the smartest right now

#15 2018-10-26 23:09:37

Jk Howling

Also to OP, I can feel you dude. As someone who suicides regularly out of situations I'm not needed in [usually super busy towns that have a bunch of girls already] this update isn't my favorite.

But on another note, I'm kinda glad for it too. There are a lot of people who suicide for worse reasons- I get a lot of suicides during eve runs, for example, even if I have a great spot picked out.  At least this gives mothers in dire situations a chance to ask the baby to stay, or explain their situation.

I do think a smart mother should let them go if they really want to, though. Maybe even stab them if you can- give them a lineage ban, so they don't get reborn there. It's a plus for both sides in this scenario.

#16 2018-10-26 23:24:15

i

Jk Howling wrote:

Also to OP, I can feel you dude. As someone who suicides regularly out of situations I'm not needed in [usually super busy towns that have a bunch of girls already] this update isn't my favorite.

But on another note, I'm kinda glad for it too. There are a lot of people who suicide for worse reasons- I get a lot of suicides during eve runs, for example, even if I have a great spot picked out.  At least this gives mothers in dire situations a chance to ask the baby to stay, or explain their situation.

I do think a smart mother should let them go if they really want to, though. Maybe even stab them if you can- give them a lineage ban, so they don't get reborn there. It's a plus for both sides in this scenario.

i get your point, many a times i got an eve run plenty of food all babies sucided. But the thing is, we only sucide to be more useful how is that fair to us to be punished for people who doom others lineages?

Why should others be able to force us to stay against our will as another family hopes for a girl to come which is a hope we could fill?

This is just smh.

#17 2018-10-26 23:48:38

randypandy

i agree with you 673751 on this, i feel since we paid to play this game we should not be forced (even if its 3 minutes) to play against how we wish to spend our time to play. i understand the reasoning for why this was done but i do not think it was a smart move. when i'm playing i get tons of babies that suicide which does suck, don't get me wrong, but i get over it and just wait for the one that does want to stay, and they do an awesome job. when i get a baby, i wait a few seconds and if they don't run away immediately then i pick them up and say hi. I don't want to force someone to stay just like i don't want someone to force me to stay.

#18 2018-10-27 00:07:39

pein

to be fair you should always stay like 30 sec
and say something, at least a hi so they know you loaded in

also to be fair, mothers should ask some questions and check if online before giving gear, or just wait until it grows or tell the plans/situation of city

most people suicide as girls, so it got to do with not liking to be a girl
i play a lot i gonna suicide out of decay towns and big towns as i cant really do much to improve it or don't have the mood
if i been there i might have an ongoing project
if i wasn't its painful to see how bad the setup is

i generally stay at most places if im solo, but too much of any life gets boring

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#19 2018-10-27 01:55:51

Jk Howling

673751 wrote:

i get your point, many a times i got an eve run plenty of food all babies sucided. But the thing is, we only sucide to be more useful how is that fair to us to be punished for people who doom others lineages?

Why should others be able to force us to stay against our will as another family hopes for a girl to come which is a hope we could fill?

This is just smh.

How does abandoning an eve camp with plenty of food yet literally no children around help in any way or form? I've had so many eve runs fail just because all the babies were assholes and suicided before I could even ask them to stay, or because I was out collecting something and they didn't stay long enough for me to explain there's a camp nearby.

Yes, there are other camps. But there are also other players who can fill that void. You shouldn't condemn one town just because another might need a player more.

Anyways, my original point is that there's pros and cons to this.

One pro is that mothers now have the chance to explain their situation and ask a child to help them. Not everyone solely suicides out of populated villages, or thinks before they bolt, or suicides for good reason. This gives mothers a brief chance to change their mind.

One con is that it takes longer for those suiciding out of overpopulated places might have to wait a little bit longer to do so. 3 minutes isn't terribly long, and they're more likely to drop you before then. Yes it's annoying, but it's not the end of the world either.

Another of my points was that a decent player shouldn't force a kid to stay regardless, and that it'll probably become a more common meta for mothers to ask their babies if they want to stay or not. Keeping a baby that doesn't want to be there will probably end up in the kid suiciding at 3 anyways, or wreaking havoc in typical baby tantrum fashion.

#20 2018-10-27 02:45:52

Baker

I knew this would bring out some baby suiciders on the forums. Seems like most of them were lurkers, Understandly considauring most people have nothing but distain towards you people.

I can understand some suicides, Like if your a boy I'm not gonna stop you if you insist. Infact, I'd be more then willing to provide you with a lineage ban as that benefits us all. I do think it's cunty to suicide on the same person many times, It's quite frustraiting for me when over half my babies are runners and I only end up with a couple sons.

I don't think Awbz is always very accurate, like it may you there are fertile females around they could be about to go grey. "Oh look, Awbz says this town got 2 fertile females already bye!". You suicide on them assuming they will be fine but they only have boys and girl suiciders and the line dies out. But I'm glad you won't knowingly suicide if you know that your the last, Many will have no mercy and suicide anyway.
I do agree that it's a waste of resources to try and force a suicider to stay unesseraily, Obviously the best solution is to put you down and stab you so you don't keep coming back again and again.

I do find it interesting that you say "The game is nothing to me without parenthood" so you literally only play to have babies. You say this while actively depriving other players of parenthood, The most importent thing from your prespective. You've been in situations where most/all your babies have relentlessly suicided, Perhaps you could see why some would want to hold onto you.

Maybe you could try sticking with some lives you wouldn't normally, Maybe a change of scenery will do you some good.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#21 2018-10-27 03:05:46

Booklat1

Baker wrote:

I knew this would bring out some baby suiciders on the forums. Seems like most of them were lurkers, Understandly considauring most people have nothing but distain towards you people.

source?

I'll honestly murder every mother that doesn't allow me to run. Good luck trying to get everyone that'll get annoyed cursed.

#22 2018-10-27 03:45:38

sarannwrap

Although I majorly disagree with your other arguments (males are more useful in every other way possible other than keeping the family line going unless if the female happens to be way more experienced than all of the males, or the males are griefing and therefore the female accomplishes more, and males keep a balanced society by keeping population booms at bay and working faster than they have to sit and tend to a singular, often doomed or about to run off without warning, often naughty little brat that drains your hunger)... I DO agree with one thing.  Mothers should let you leave if you want to and you are not vital to the society's survival. 

Honestly it's the mother's fault, not Jason's.  He is just trying to make the game true to his vision, ONE hour ONE life.  I never suicide unless my mom is actively insulting me or all of the villagers are killing each other/stealing from each other.  If you want to leave your mom, you should get to if she has no real reason to make you stay.  But some moms are sociopaths, just like real life.  The thing about suicide babies that annoyed me the most was them IMMEDIATELY dying where they spawn even if it wrecks my forge or locks me in a sheep pen and kills me.  Suiciders with a tiny bit of courtesy are not nearly as bad but very few of those it seems.  Many seem happy to continuously jump when I try to put them somewhere else to die after they get bitten by a snake, but they keep running in front of my forge ofc.

#23 2018-10-27 06:29:34

WomanWizard

Yeah, I was worried this might anger people, but I also understand that Jason wants to keep things true to his vision. Watched a woman hold her child in a death grip till he was well past the age he should have been breast feeding. He wanted to suicide. It was such a waste of everyone's time and resources. I'm interested to see how this turns out in the long run though.

Last edited by WomanWizard (2018-10-27 06:30:02)

#24 2018-10-27 06:46:44

Jk Howling wrote:
673751 wrote:

This is just smh.

How does abandoning an eve camp with plenty of food yet literally no children around help in any way or form? I've had so many eve runs fail just because all the babies were assholes and suicided before I could even ask them to stay, or because I was out collecting something and they didn't stay long enough for me to explain there's a camp nearby.

Yes, there are other camps. But there are also other players who can fill that void. You shouldn't condemn one town just because another might need a player more.

Anyways, my original point is that there's pros and cons to this.

One pro is that mothers now have the chance to explain their situation and ask a child to help them. Not everyone solely suicides out of populated villages, or thinks before they bolt, or suicides for good reason. This gives mothers a brief chance to change their mind.

One con is that it takes longer for those suiciding out of overpopulated places might have to wait a little bit longer to do so. 3 minutes isn't terribly long, and they're more likely to drop you before then. Yes it's annoying, but it's not the end of the world either.

Another of my points was that a decent player shouldn't force a kid to stay regardless, and that it'll probably become a more common meta for mothers to ask their babies if they want to stay or not. Keeping a baby that doesn't want to be there will probably end up in the kid suiciding at 3 anyways, or wreaking havoc in typical baby tantrum fashion.

You honestly took what i said wrong, 99% of the time im sucidcing so i can play in the eve camps lol

#25 2018-10-27 06:52:02

WomanWizard wrote:

Yeah, I was worried this might anger people, but I also understand that Jason wants to keep things true to his vision. Watched a woman hold her child in a death grip till he was well past the age he should have been breast feeding. He wanted to suicide. It was such a waste of everyone's time and resources. I'm interested to see how this turns out in the long run though.

Yeah honestly, id rather shut off my whole pc and unplug the internet than stay against my will like that.

Board footer