One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-26 19:44:17

Vexenie

Why different genders?

I understand that men work and women also work, but they also birth
Since women birth without the help of "romance" towns usually can have only women and it's all right
Men should should have an advandage or an disadvandage (except birthing)

I don't really give a f*** what it is, might as well be a d*** into a p**** to set a new player spawn point besides Eves

Like I said, I don't give a f***

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#2 2018-10-26 20:00:39

Roblor

Re: Why different genders?

I get the feeling that such a system somehow could ... promote certain kind of abuses.

You've seen the kind of people that's out there Vex.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#3 2018-10-26 20:00:59

Aurora Aurora

The advantages of men are population control, being able to travel far and being able to smith and hunt easily

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#4 2018-10-27 00:08:58

pein

not hearing baby cries is an advantage

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-10-27 16:54:02

Lum

What is the point of censoring your own swear words if you choose to use them? Why not just use other words.

Also, maybe do give a fuck before posting about it, since if you really thought about this issue, you'd realize all the advantages men have in this game

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#6 2018-10-27 22:13:52

MultiLife

While the "not spawning more" can be a perk, it can also be a bad thing and often is. I do wish men had something special to them, but women being able to spawn players is pretty darn huge as a perk as it's not really a bad thing for the player (you can ignore all babies you birth with no consequences so you are not forced to stop when they pop in). Sad how men are not needed for reproduction, but also thank goodness they aren't. It's a weird one.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#7 2018-10-27 23:12:33

TrustyWay

Male's advantage is to not have to take care of babies which is very usefull.

#8 2018-10-27 23:22:19

hmrka

I would like It If girls could say "I marry (name of boy)" and then If a boy says "I marry (name of girl who married him) They are now husband and wife! (To make sure its not abused both people have to say It.)

After they are married, all kids the girl has and will have will see her husband as a "father".
Long ago incest used to be very common. Maybe to not make It too weird only cousins or distant relatives could marry? And of course If an Eve spawns in a populated place then her children can marry the fam who lived here before, cus not related.
Oh and when one of them dies It should show up on family tree as "Married to:(name)"

Anyway Idk If this would be hard to add into the game, just an idea I had.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#9 2018-10-27 23:58:27

Randomname

hmrka wrote:

I would like It If girls could say "I marry (name of boy)" and then If a boy says "I marry (name of girl who married him) They are now husband and wife! (To make sure its not abused both people have to say It.)

After they are married, all kids the girl has and will have will see her husband as a "father".
Long ago incest used to be very common. Maybe to not make It too weird only cousins or distant relatives could marry? And of course If an Eve spawns in a populated place then her children can marry the fam who lived here before, cus not related.
Oh and when one of them dies It should show up on family tree as "Married to:(name)"

I like this idea, I also like the idea of fathers in general.  Even if it is just the male nearest you when you give birth that becomes the father (excluding your own father because that is just too incestuous, brothers fine, fathers not fine).  If you are a solo girl with no men then your kid has no father same as always.

Back to the original topic it is as everyone has said boys are great.  I once had seven boys and one girl kept them all because we had enough omelettes/berry/carrots.  The girl was a star as she stayed alive and gave my grandchildren, the boys were stars as they fetched me soil for berry farming so I didn't have to leave my hot baby spot, made a pen, made all the tools, fetched so much iron and got us sheep.  Huge bonus as well being if I'd had eight daughters the next gen would have been in so much trouble, not as much would have progressed and the population may have grown too much.

#10 2018-10-28 02:06:27

PeaGirl

Being a man is awesome, up until you realize you cannot begin your own family.
It's like given a million dollar check and a mansion while having your jewelries ripped off.
But personally I have preferred to play as a man comparing as a woman, because you can spend your time being as efficient as you can, while tutoring youth, perhaps getting family rp alongside with some kids you have no similarity with skin at all.
Although being woman isn't that bad. It's awfully satisfying to leave my babies behind and try to play feminist.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#11 2018-10-28 07:03:47

gabal

I like a bit of both. After a few male lives I'm really looking forward to a female life and other way around.

Last edited by gabal (2018-10-28 07:03:57)

#12 2018-10-28 07:17:24

Vexenie

hmrka wrote:

That's a great idea for players able to marry each other, but your right about the incest part
Marriage should be available only for third or second cousins who also might have removed
(removed part is so confusing, so first means your cousin, but second means also your cousin, but second cousin removed is your cousin's parent or child)
The thing is, the bigger the number infront of cousin is, the less we are relatet, by genetics that is
So marrying a first cousin is incest, second is also kind of incest, but third is a grey area cuz they have only a little similar genes, but they're still there
Back to point:
When players marry, they have an option to "romance", which increases the fertility compared to regular women AKA higher fertility is like bell tower, only weaker and more accsesible?

The marriage and on ohol homepage might be easy, cuz marriage can be same for naming older players, stand infront of and say the words, on the homepage we already have last words and how they died, so it might be easy
But the cousin part and " romance" (if it's implemented) might be hard, cuz then jason needs to restrict the marriage for cousin to related and "romance"... Idk

Divorce should be also available, it's same as marriage, but instead of I marry ____, it's I divorce ____
Buy if they reject to divorce, then you need to write I divorce ____ on a paper and now your free
Marriage us still available after divorce

Last edited by Vexenie (2018-10-28 07:26:41)

#13 2018-10-28 07:32:52

Dodge

hmrka wrote:

Like the idea, but only if you can marry someone from another family (from another eve) otherwise it's too weird

#14 2018-10-28 07:35:49

Vexenie

Dodge wrote:
hmrka wrote:

Like the idea, but only if you can marry someone from another family (from another eve) otherwise it's too weird

What if married couples could change their lastnames by writing "our lastname is ____" while facing your spouse

#15 2018-10-28 08:23:00

VioletLily

Dodge wrote:
hmrka wrote:

I think it would be okay as long as they aren't too closely related. I've seen 14th cousins in the game before. If you think about it time-wise, you would have to go back about 300 years to find a common ancestor. They are genetically a stranger at that point. Irl, many strangers you see in your day to day life are probably more closely related to you than that (Assuming you or your family hasn't immigrated to a different country in resent history).

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-28 08:26:03)

#16 2018-10-28 20:52:04

Aname

The only thing i like to do when i am a man is too steal kids and name them so the mom gets angry.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#17 2018-10-29 09:35:15

Tramax

I'm all for marriage being implemented as discussed above, however changing your last name should only be an option when marrying outside of your family.

Re: closely related incest perhaps a fizzle sound plays when you try marrying siblings or first cousins. Jason coded in a successful curse sound so checking coded variables associating a noise when they return a positive result has been done before.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

Board footer