One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-26 00:15:34

Morti

So, you think you're a "pro" at this game?

If you are pro, here are two challenges for you.

Challenge #1

Hard Mode

Next time you are born to an Eve who you think is new or bad, based on the place that she chooses as home, make it a home anyway.
The forge, farm, and everything else must begin within a reasonable (10 meters) distance from the location she decided was going to be your home. It doesn't matter if ponds are 50 meters away to the north, you must start the farm no more than 10 meters from the place she decided was going to be your home. Same goes for the forge, the oven and everything else. Start it within 10 meters of the exact spot she said was your home. This may be where she laid out all the ropes and branches, but if she puts down a home marker, that is it. You must start near there.

Challenge #2

Nightmare Mode

When you start as an Eve, you can move no more than 10 meters from the spot you start to decide where your home is going to be. You must then place a home marker in that spot and tell every child you have that this is your home. From there, all the building you do must start within 10 meters of that spot.

No milkweed? Too bad, find some, and make the tools elsewhere, but bring them back to that spot.
No soil? Too bad, find some and bring it there.
No water? Too bad, start the farm 10 meters from that spot and expand it in the direction of the water.

All layouts and and areas are to be sprawled out as they normally would. Laying a road of soil toward the water will be frowned upon. Don't try to cheat your way out of this or look for ways to bend the rules. Start the town with in 10 steps of the spot you spawned in, and go from there.

If you spawned in the middle of a giant snow biome, you're just going to have to decide if that means 10 meters closer to the nearest grassland, desert, or swamp.

Do everything you can in your lifetime to make that home sustainable.

aUdyloF.png

#2 2018-10-26 00:18:36

Morti

Re: So, you think you're a "pro" at this game?

Reserved for addenda for whiners, cheaters and people who find these challenges too easy.

#3 2018-10-26 00:38:53

Azrael

No one says they're a pro at this game

since when

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#4 2018-10-26 00:56:14

Morti

Azrael wrote:

No one says they're a pro at this game

since when

In the last three days, it's been said to me three times, and my response has always been the same: Are you a Twitch streamer?
To which they have replied: No
Well, you aren't a professional unless you get paid to do the job.

This has been said to me many times in the past, whether it's the true, or most widely accepted, definition of professional or not, I'm just repeating what was said to me. I know what they mean when they say they are pro, I just find it funny that this person, or people, choose to use the word pro, in a game like this.

This isn't a challenge to those people who would call themselves "pro" exclusively.

This is a challenge to everyone. Everyone who is willing to accept it, and the consequences, however dire they may be.

The harder starting situation the game throws at us, the harder we will work to survive, and the more rewarding our triumphs over nature will be.

Good people will work, no matter what. They will haul a basket of soil 100 meters, if that is the nearest soil deposit. They will run a bowl of water 100 meters if it means feeding their family for another season. And those berries will be the most delicious ones, they will ever taste.

#5 2018-10-26 01:28:35

Jk Howling

B-But isn't a part of being good at the game knowing when a location is good to settle in and when it isn't? That's like the biggest mistake most new or inexperienced players make with eve runs- settling somewhere far from water, or not near desert.

regardless I'm down for challenge 1. I'd do challenge 2 if my eve spawns weren't so rare that I cherish every one I get.

Edit: How far is 10 meters exactly in-game? 10 steps?

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-26 01:35:10)

-Has ascended to better games-

#6 2018-10-26 06:15:35

Lum

It is very true that the notion of "being pro" is toxic and absolute garbage.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#7 2018-10-26 13:31:08

Dodge

@Morti You forgot about the ultimate challenge, living and farming in the tundra, you can only go to other biomes to get ressources but your entire village as to be in the snow biome.

#8 2018-10-26 18:00:18

D3mon1cblack

Dodge wrote:

@Morti You forgot about the ultimate challenge, living and farming in the tundra, you can only go to other biomes to get ressources but your entire village as to be in the snow biome.

`

i actually wanna try and do that
but the problem with it is that 99% of your kids will suicide and the odd 1% will be a new player or maybe a hardcore player tongue

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#9 2018-10-26 19:05:59

ShadouFireborn

Morti wrote:

In the last three days, it's been said to me three times, and my response has always been the same: Are you a Twitch streamer?
To which they have replied: No
Well, you aren't a professional unless you get paid to do the job.

Objection! Leading question! This is also an invalid argument for multiple reasons.

1: I am a twitch streamer. That doesn't mean I get paid.

2: Even if I did get paid, that still wouldn't make me an OHOL professional.

3: The vast majority of twitch streamers have other jobs that support them. They don't stream for a living. The only professional streamers are the rare ones that stream full time and are supported by the stream. They may be supplemented by another job, but their primary profession is twitch streamer.

To my knowledge, there are no professional streamers that stream OHOL, let alone regularly. Therefore, the only OHOL professional would be Jason himself.

"Are you a twitch streamer" is therefore a leading question, leading to an invalid argument.

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#10 2018-10-26 22:18:32

pein

well some hearthstone players make a living out of the streaming
top 10 was disguised toast on twitch, he makes 20k+ per month
generally fortnight players are on top
there are players on youtube who make a living, but they just try out stuff mostly
the edge of letting their jobs go, its kinda long time even for them
and superb people like belaener who barely make a buck

the main reason pewdiepie is first that he does loong time ago
and some players like draeagast are just good at advertising, not that good on skills or entertainment value

ohol cant be a game like that cause no replayability and no fun pvp, the concept is ok for a while but you cant really show new things after a time

if you think you are good at a game then you try to be effective at it, part of that is to understand how things work so a challenge like this is just irrelevant, i will stay with new eves sometimes and make a new camp, get a sis there and is fun
i also skip out on farming if there is enough cacti to sustain 5-6 people
can be viable after cistern and buckets but to sustain family you need a good female and some sort of weirdo map

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2018-10-29 12:06:15

Roblor

pein wrote:

the main reason pewdiepie is first that he does loong time ago
and some players like draeagast are just good at advertising, not that good on skills or entertainment value

I thought it was quite funny watching Draegast running around shouting "mom!", while failing miserably at this game.
It's the reason I'm playing this game thb.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#12 2018-10-29 12:41:44

Tramax

I actually am a pro at this game. I get paid by sponsors to play babies because my baby meta is top tier defining and has transformed the competitive OHOL community. My team ranked second in the OHOL league three years ago and I still impress people at barbecues with the stories I tell of how I typed the entirety of Moby Dick alternated with The Old Man and the Sea one letter at a time each in under three seconds in to the game. Playing toddlers, kids, tweens, teenagers and adults though is a different ballpark and I leave that to their respective competitive sub-communities but to be honest only the true pro players can master the baby meta. Not trying to hate on the streamers who exclusively main elders but let's be honest... You've got to be good to know how to not click anything while your mother carries you.

Jk Howling wrote:

Edit: How far is 10 meters exactly in-game? 10 steps?

Yep. 1,100 steps converts the home marker to tell you it's 1.1 kilometers away and every subsequent thousand add one to it.

Last edited by Tramax (2018-10-29 12:46:50)

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

Board footer