One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-25 16:10:45

Starknight_One

Important tips for new players

1. When an elderly person is working on a project, the berry on the ground is not 'fair game' for you to pick up and eat; it's to prevent them having to run back to the farm so often. Please leave it be, unless you're really in danger of dying. (I know, I wasn't going to finish the horse pen in that life anyway but I'd have liked to set one more fence before dying of old age at 60, instead of dying of starvation at 59 trying to stuff a berry in my mouth.)

The start of a horse pen for my village, my adult-life project:
tfIVu3Y.jpg

#2 2018-10-25 17:00:20

Jk Howling

Re: Important tips for new players

2. If you see someone working at the forge, then stay out of their way. Smithing tools is a very time-sensitive job, and nobody will appreciate it when you stand right in front of the kiln, covering a tool they need or the iron they're trying to smelt, or you grabbing an item they were going to use in an attempt to 'help.' More often than not, it just ends up slowing them down.

If you want to learn, observe them from a decent distance and make sure you're not covering anything. Better yet, ask a veteran for some help, and practice in the extra part of the Tutorial.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-25 17:02:12)

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2018-10-25 17:31:31

pein

if you are new at building ask others

don't put floors on a desert, don't put bear rugs on floors on desert and don't put babies on top of that

and don't build walls around berry, build floors around it first then walls

generally have a free tile around any structure at least, free tile then the road, free tile above kilns

don't build fast roads inside city

ps. find a tiny desert, wild horses wont run outside of the tiny desert if you leave them there

Last edited by pein (2018-10-25 17:32:10)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2018-10-25 17:32:45

WomanWizard

Starknight_One wrote:

1. When an elderly person is working on a project, the berry on the ground is not 'fair game' for you to pick up and eat; it's to prevent them having to run back to the farm so often.

This can apply to anyone working on a project away from food. While it's much more important for elders, it's still really annoying to have someone run past your work-space and eat the last of the stew you were keeping with you. If someone was waiting until the most opportune moment to eat it, you could actually end up starving them by doing this.

I know, sometimes it's an emergency, but try not to let things get to that point. It happens far too often to me for it to always be an emergency. I've had my stew/popcorn/green beans gobbled by young people who have pies in their backpack, and that is not okay.

Last edited by WomanWizard (2018-10-25 17:33:07)

#5 2018-10-25 21:00:01

xclame

Don't build roads right under Forge/oven or through Forge/oven.(You think you might be helping but it makes working on these stations very annoying.)
Don't just try to "help" someone build a building if you don't know what they have planned or what you are doing.(Had to break 6 pickaxes fixing someones fail)
Don't build buildings too small. (had someone help me build a kitchen, by making a 3 by 5 room, which is too small for almost anything)
Don't put just one entrance to a building. (Having more than one entrance, makes it more difficult for a troll to block the building.)

#6 2018-10-25 23:08:26

Morti

Tip Number π

Maybe not so much a tip as it is information on the way I prefer to setup and work at the forge.

jm87h5i.png

Ways you can help and places you can stand if you want to watch and learn.

Ir6Py9V.png

When starting out as, or with, an Eve, the ideal place for the first kiln / forge is likely to be crowded by trees, rocks or have other obstacles nearby before the ax and shovel are available. Try to make due with the space you have and place the working area for the smith on the edge of desert tiles if possible. This will reduce the amount of food he or she needs to consume while working and allow them to make the most of the available kindling and charcoal. Regardless, it's always best to eat before you fire a kiln or forge, especially if it's not on the edge of a desert.

Also, don't place the kiln / forge too close to ponds early on. Be considerate of the farmers and give the farm space to grow. This will also cut down on the amount of clutter around the farm and the forge.

I'll often place the forge 20 - 30 meters (tiles) from the ponds. Leaving 10 - 20 meters for farms and 10 - 20 meters for an oven between the ponds and the forge. Results every life will vary with the arrangements of soil, ponds, and space, and whether that space is warm, desert, or not. If things are too close and cluttered initially, the farms can grow around the ponds, away from the forge, or the forge can be relocated where there is sufficient working space and temperatures.

When food is scarce, temperature is very important. Overtime, you should be able to visualize the heat by the density of the desert tiles, as well as whether there is a fire in the 5x5 area where heat is calculated by the game. It's always a good habit to have this 'imaginary heat map overlay' of the landscape in mind to conserve food, labor and resources, but it is crucial, crucial, before food production begins and whenever food is scarce. If you do not want your family to suffer from famine, stay warm when not working and place your working areas (farms, ovens, smithy, etc..) in the Goldilocks zones of the temperature map.

#7 2018-10-26 03:20:30

Tarr
Banned

If you are an unskilled player (new player) in an eve camp your job is generally to gather supplies your Eve will need.

In the early game Eve will need the following

-Seven long shafts: (2x for tongs/bellows, 1x for fire bow drill, 1x for stone hatchet, 1x for snare, 1x for general fire starting purposes, and 1x for the hammer.) You can fetch the eighth for the steel axe if you so desire.

-Three rope (and one thread): 1x for snare, 1x for fire bow drill, 1x for stone hatchet. The thread is used to make the waterskin for the bellows. A four rope can be fetched for a stone hoe if you like (add one more long shaft to your needed items.)

-At least seven raw clay: 3x for bowls, 3x for plates, 1x for clay nozzle. You will generally want more than the basics to allow people to cook omelettes and start farming.

-Multiple curved shafts: This generally ranges anywhere from four to seven depending on how fast your Eve can smith/forge. At least one will be needed for the fire bow drill.

-At least a single rabbit: Generally I will only catch one rabbit but multiples can be okay if you have other supplies needed.

-Three to as many iron ore as you can find: Basic rule of thumb - The first steel has to go to a hammer, the second goes to the steel axe, and the third goes to the shovel. Extra steel is always a good thing but can wait as long as you have the first three steel tools.

-Four to six adobe: Four adobe at the least is needed to make the kiln + adobe cover so you can properly produce charcoal for smithing. The other two adobe will be used for an oven either now or later.

-One to four+ skewers: The first is needed for the clay nozzle you will make for your bellows and your towns general home marker. Any spare skewers should be used for farming (Always remember to remove a pile of dirt from your soil pile before tilling! three piles is a waste! Two piles is the perfect number, and one is harsh on skewers or hoes in general)

-Three+ flat stones: These are needed for smithing in general. My rule of thumb is to have three flat rocks for my smithing and a spare one for cooking omelettes to tide us over on food.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2018-10-26 03:38:35

FeverDog

Learn the Yum System.  See here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2397

Basically, diversify the food you eat as much as possible.  If you don't know how to do anything, do at least this.  Don't just eat berries non-stop.  Also, realize that not all food is equal in terms of how much it fills your hunger bar.  Try not to eat until your bar is low(ish) otherwise you're wasting food.  Don't waste food. 

Learn berry maintenance first so you can at least keep those going.  The next thing you should learn is composting and how sheep work.  Soil is the most important resource.  More than backpacks, clothes, and knives.

Learn how temperature works.  It's nice to have clothes but it's often a bad thing given how most villages are placed (near deserts).  Overheating costs food, in other words.

Don't WATER too many carrots.  Feel free to plant them but only water as much as is needed.

If you're an adult male, do your best to eat outside of town.  There's plenty of food not far from town -- burdock, onions, wild berries, cactus fruit.  These will bump up your Yum score and you'll soon find you won't need to eat as much at all.

Other easy but highly valuable tech: shallow wells, catching rabbits for pies, baking, omelettes.

Last edited by FeverDog (2018-10-26 04:26:45)

#9 2018-10-26 03:59:57

Tarr
Banned

What are your food options in an Eve camp as a new player? (1/2)

You've got a few different crops that are viable within an Eve camp each with their different benefits to the village.

-Berry bushes: These are the slowest possible crop you can grow in an eve camp. A berry bush will produce seven berries which give five food each every twelve minutes should you maintain them properly. HOWEVER! You are likely going to be getting food slower per bush due to them not being picked cleaned at the time of harvest. One bush gives a total of thirty five pips (food).

-Carrots: These are generally on the same tier as berry bushes should you be eating them raw. A row of carrots produces five carrots at seven pips each giving you a grand total of thirty five pips per row. A single row of carrots takes four minutes to reach the pickable state so growing carrots produces the same amount of food as a berry patch in a third of the time. Big note about carrots: They take five minutes to seed once ready to be picked and if you leave seeding carrots around for another ten the whole patch will disappear. Carrots are the only food crop to delete rows of soil after seeding.

-Corn: Do not eat corn raw unless you are starving OR working towards a large yum chain. Corn produces four ears of corn per four minutes when planted that need to be shucked. Raw corn give five pips each or a grand total of twenty pips per row. Should you leave a shucked ear of corn out for four minutes it will dry out and produced a dried ear of corn. This corn can be placed in a bowl and them popped over an open fire or is one of the ingredients for Three Sister's Stew. One bowl of popcorn produces twelve food or forty eight food per row of corn.

-Squash: Stew plant only, cannot eat. Do not plant if no one knows how to make stew or you are completely unfamiliar with making/eating stew.

-Beans: Do not eat green beans. You should allow the beans to dry out in order to make stew within an Eve camp. One row of (undried) green beans produces twenty four food per four minutes. The general rule of thumb is you need six rows of beans to produce five rows of stew beans. HOWEVER: People are very known to accidentally pick beans and start planting extra beans everywhere. DO NOT SPAM BEANS. They are only good for making stew or burritos, eating them as green beans is generally frowned upon unless for yum purposes.

-Potatoes: Cannot harvest in the early game, do not grow potatoes until you have a shovel. Even then potatoes are seen as a bad food and should under normal circumstances be avoided.

-Cabbage: Cannot be used until late game. Uses to make Sauerkraut which requires a salt water pond to finish making. Do not grow cabbage in an eve camp or if salt water is not close.

In an early game camp a good farm looks like - 12 to 16 berry bushes set up in a 3x3 or 4x4. 4-6 rows dedicated to carrots in a 1x4 or 2x3 formation (carrots can be skipped early but you will need them when it comes time to get sheep.) My own personal rule when it comes to stew crops is to always plant based on how many seeds I get from the crops. This leads to making making a 1x2  for corn, 1x6 for beans, and 1x5 for squash to make sure I always can replant my crops.

In priority of what you grow based on what you need- Fast food: Carrots > (Pop)corn > Berry > Stew crops
Lots of food: Stew > (Pop)corn > Berries >  Carrots
Sustainable food: Stew* > (Pop)corn > Carrots > Berries

*Stew is incredibly inefficient for children/elders.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-10-26 04:20:13)

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2018-10-26 04:23:57

Tarr
Banned

What are your food options in an eve camp? (2/2)

Now that we've taken a look at our basic crops lets take a look at other food options not discussed in length in the first post.

Three Sister's Stew: Made from crops discussed in a previous post each crock full of stew produces eight bowls of stew at fourteen pips per bite with two bites per bowl and a grand total of two hundred and twenty four pips per crock.. This is a great food source for adults as it provides a large amount of food in a single bite. Learning to make something like this is a great skill to learn both in early game and late game. The only real downside to stew is the requirement of having bowls to eat it, being bad for elders/children, and the crock being immobile after cooking.

Omelettes: This is one of the easiest things to eat in a good Eve camp. One Omelette will produce nineteen pips worth of food per plate which is basically your whole food bar as an adult. If you are a child it is always recommended to go around and bring home the eggs from ponds to give the adults steady food (or yourself should it come down to it.) The biggest downside to omelettes is that a goose egg is only produced once every ten minutes per pond and you cannot get more eggs from a pond until the original is moved.  A quick note: A flat hot rock can be kept hot indefinitely should you place at least one egg on it every two minutes or so.

Pies: Baking in an Eve camp isn't something normally done but I personally enjoy doing it if your blacksmith can rush out a steel axe in a reasonable amount of time. For early game the two types of pies you should be producing are carrot pies and rabbit pies. You could technically produce a combination of rabbit carrot pies but at eighteen food per bite you will generally waste some each bite. Carrot pies are a splendid use of early game carrots as each carrot you put in a pie produces four times the original input. Carrot pies are seven pips per bite with each pie being four bites for a total of twenty eight pips per pie. Rabbit pies on the other hand are fourteen pips per bite for a total of fifty six pips per pie.

Burritos: For when you're just feeling extra in an eve camp. Burritos are a great use of excess dried beans in any sort of camp or village at any point during the game. A full plate of burritos ends up producing six burritos at nineteen pips each for a total of one hundred and fourteen pips per platter. Generally speaking you never want to produce any less than the max amount of burritos per plate

In priority of what you make based on your needs
-Fast food: Omelettes > Pies > Stew > Burritos
Lots of food: Stew > Pies > Burritos > Omelettes
Sustainable food: Omelettes > Pies > Stew > Burritos

*Pies drop lower in each tier if you are not growing wheat or wild wheat is not available easily.

Last edited by Tarr (2018-10-26 11:36:21)

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2018-10-26 06:21:16

Lum

I really don't think it was anyone's fault, except yours, if you relied on a berry on the floor to survive, especially if you had a backpack to keep it safe. Just maybe don't depend on food left unattended on the ground? Or communicate instead of expecting the world to know this is YOUR berry as if property was even a manageable thing in this game?

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#12 2018-10-26 08:35:27

pein

am  i the only one who gets claustrophobic when there is no 30-35 free tiles next to kilns?

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2018-10-26 08:58:36

pein

what food you should make:
do you have bowls? if no  gather from distance burdock, onion, cacti
when you got bowls someone needs to plant carrot/corn (still fastest) and berries on desert. everything on desert, you stand on desert and get bonus heat, so force people to eat on desert so they stand on desert, long term deserts under berry have better bonus than distance to water
plates: omlettes. now just shoot the goose later and put the eggs in poop, have the goose decapitated, get them into cart with an axe, find 2 stumps (animation takes a while) and bring backc the goose to cook it, plates needed for  pies, omelettes lategame are for yum only
you need baskets? you can go out and get from swamps just make sure you dig out the stumps for adobe or they get lost anyway
each basket made this way can hold the adobe produced so you can get 2 baskets full of adobe and 3 other things in third basket, and the shovel in the cart
or you can make it at home from wheat, to use up the excess threshed wheat you need bread, uses plates more efficiently
buttered bread is just roleplay, as it loses more on calories than wons in yum, and needs a lot of plates
pies are late game food
before axe is no go, they are highest value portable food, so no reason to make before you can carry it, so after packs and aprons
even if you make some, you  need like 12 pies at a time to make the kindling usage effective
you got 5 rabbits  already if someone made a pack
there are multiple pies
carrot(still worth it cause people waste a lot eating just carrot)
rabbit
berry
carrot-berry(compost)
carrot-rabbit
berry-rabbit
berry-carrot-rabbit pie (generally a waste cause gives too much bars but good for yum)
mutton pie
i do think pies after sheep, but at least after axe and packs, i seen people use the adobe from forge to make 2 pies before making axe, now that can kill the colony

if you got less water but more iron, potato can be ok, but needs baskets to make it less annoying, so make bread too
also after sheep

cactus farming and egg collecting are early game, you can leave baskets near each cacti/pond and just collect into it, even if you cant take it home, once is full someone  can come with a cart

stew is nice too, make sure you plant the beans further away and any time something gets built near it just move the bean farm to edge of city
dont make stew before first axe cause the branches needed for tools and esentially you kill others

get your own firewood, adobe, plates and bowls dont take it from forge

most food is lost due to overeating and new players see game and slower pace so i still think popcorn is most effective against overeating even if is very work intensive

Last edited by pein (2018-10-26 09:07:02)

#14 2018-10-26 09:01:18

pein

Tarr wrote:

six burritos at nineteen pips each for a total of one hundred and seventeen .

6x19=114

#15 2018-10-26 11:03:50

FeverDog

I disagree that pies are late game.  Rabbits are often caught very early.  As long as you aren't getting in the way of the early game blacksmithing there's no reason to not use those first rabbits for some food diversity.  Apart from plates, the other ingredients are dirt cheap and pies keep noobs from berry munching.

#16 2018-10-26 11:44:52

Tarr
Banned

FeverDog wrote:

I disagree that pies are late game.  Rabbits are often caught very early.  As long as you aren't getting in the way of the early game blacksmithing there's no reason to not use those first rabbits for some food diversity.  Apart from plates, the other ingredients are dirt cheap and pies keep noobs from berry munching.

I think pies are either in the mid to late game when you start making them normally. I haven't seen enough rabbit in an early game camp to produce steady pies in the last ten or so eve camps to put them early and mid game you're generally at the point of making mutton pies over any of the early possible pie choices.

You generally don't start actually growing any wheat until you need compost, I've personally grown wheat early but that was when I specifically wanted pies in the family I was playing in. Of course not all of us have the same experiences when it comes to food but I understand where your thought process comes from.

pein wrote:

six burritos at nineteen pips each for a total of one hundred and seventeen

6x19=114

Ty. Fixed that, apparently I cannot drink and math.

fug it’s Tarr.

#17 2018-10-26 12:18:11

Starknight_One

Lum wrote:

I really don't think it was anyone's fault, except yours, if you relied on a berry on the floor to survive, especially if you had a backpack to keep it safe. Just maybe don't depend on food left unattended on the ground? Or communicate instead of expecting the world to know this is YOUR berry as if property was even a manageable thing in this game?

It's not like he came running in from the wild, desperately searching for food. He followed me over from the farm (where there were plenty of berries), talked to me, and then picked up the berry I had put down and ate it. I had another in my backpack, but the rest of the space in it was filled with tools - because even though we had 6 snares, someone would have turned my stakes into more if I had left them lying in the pen. That was the first time. The second time he came over to talk to me, I'm not sure where he was. But again, he took the time to ask a question (where horses?), and *then* grabbed the berry off the ground and ate it, a second before I was going to. And the berry in my backpack wasn't quite enough to get me to 60; that's why I had a second.

The farm was within easy walking distance, *if you have more than 4 food bars*, and he knew that. He could have gone over to the bushes and got his own berry to put in his own backpack. But instead, he decided to disrupt my pattern and prevent me making any more progress. It might even have been a subtle form of griefing... although moving the adze and shovel would have been more effective. I mean, he literally watched me bring the berry over and never asked if he could have it, just grabbed it and ate it.

Look. I understand that nothing in this game has ownership markers. But at the same time, it's a game about working together to survive and improve our lot in life. Taking food from someone on a project disrupts that, because then they have to go get more food instead of making progress on what they were trying to do. If you don't think the project is a good idea, say something - trying to sabotage people instead just makes them cranky.

#18 2018-10-26 12:43:29

denriguez

pein wrote:

what food you should make:
you need baskets? you can go out and get from swamps just make sure you dig out the stumps for adobe or they get lost anyway
each basket made this way can hold the adobe produced so you can get 2 baskets full of adobe and 3 other things in third basket, and the shovel in the cart

Wait you can DIG reed stumps and get adobe? I've been playing since frigging March and didn't know you can dig reed stumps? Was this an update, or has it always been this way? Omg all of the adobe I've left in the ground and all the additional baskets I could've made.

#19 2018-10-26 13:07:49

Tarr
Banned

denriguez wrote:

Wait you can DIG reed stumps and get adobe? I've been playing since frigging March and didn't know you can dig reed stumps? Was this an update, or has it always been this way? Omg all of the adobe I've left in the ground and all the additional baskets I could've made.

Don't feel bad that took me about three months to learn myself when I accidentally did it digging up tree stumps. People obviously didn't do it before because (if you remember) reeds regrew from their stumps until it was later changed.

fug it’s Tarr.

#20 2018-10-26 18:49:23

WalrusesConquer

Also a tip: if you are an eve name yourself! Preferably before you name your kids! Too many times I have seen this, not a huge mistake but still Important.

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#21 2018-10-26 18:53:42

Jk Howling

In full honesty, early rabbit pis can help a lot in eve camps. It's not really meta to start pies until you've got sheep, since mutton pies are the best pies to make between resources needed and hunger output, but early pies can come in clutch- especially when waiting for the berry bushes to grow in, or if the bushes were neglected and you're waiting for them to regrow. 

I've saved a few eve camps from starvation in these scenarios by making a few rabbit pies using wild wheat, any rabbits leftover from backpacks, and sometimes carrots if we've got them before sheep [or wild carrots]. It's not common practice though, or one I'd suggest in most scenarios.

-Has ascended to better games-

Board footer