One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-16 12:34:14

Tramax

Suggestion: Ploughs and Draft Animals

Kinda jumped the gun by making a post on reddit before submitting my concept for peer review, but thought I'd cross-post it anyways, and if you don't want a reddit account I guess you can give feedback here.

Here's the link! smile

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#2 2018-10-16 18:57:35

xclame

Re: Suggestion: Ploughs and Draft Animals

I don't like the Bison being used, the animal is just too damn big, I would be okay with a different horse though or even a different cow (maybe just bison but resized).

Like the person on reddit said, infinite soil would be broken, so it shouldn't just use whatever ground it's standing on.  Something that could work is being able to load in say baskets of soil and the plough would use the soil or really I would even be in favor of having to put soil down and you walk over the soil and it ploughs the ground you walk over that has soil on it.

However having said all that as the game is now, I don't want this in game,  it's not too difficult to till rows right now, adding this would make it too easy, we would need new tech tier before something like this is added in my opinion.

#3 2018-10-16 19:34:10

Jk Howling

Maybe we could get oxen instead of using the domestic bison. They're common enough animals of burden, I think, and would make a bit more sense. A draft horse would also be cool.

I agree that the infinite soil thing would be broken as hell though. Maybe like xclame said, we could load it with soil to dispense as it goes, or you have to walk over piles of soil. But at the same time, it'd have to have some sort of benefit that would make it worth all those extra steps to obtain over something simpler like a hoe.

I'd propose it being able to till without soil, but only on grassy biomes [which are the most fertile]. Perhaps you also have to stop every x tiles to feed/water the working animal. This would give it a benefit over hoes, as you don't require soil ot till, but also give it some limitations so it's not utterly busted.

-Has ascended to better games-

#4 2018-10-16 22:38:39

Catfive

I too support the idea of draft animals... pulling wagons big enough to carry people and goods for the nomads and those who like to create satellite villages or simply moving lots of gear about like rocks etc, oh or pulling a plough

#5 2018-10-17 10:49:19

pein

maybe just use on hardened row or single soil in a line, fairly situational

and have a bit more lifespan than manual hoe (would only cost 1 tilling per soil or hardened row)
could be used for stew plants, potato and carrots this way

could create a different soil which would allow new plants (new plant to make ropes)
potato should be buffed a bit(more food, more uses, random extra big ones which can be used for seeding big potatoes) and nerf this way

same for watering, maybe automatic watering system with a pipe system, manual refill or attached to cistern, creating boxes for plants with pipe system

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-10-17 14:56:33

Booklat1

pein wrote:

a different soil which would allow new plants (new plant to make ropes)
potato should be buffed a bit(more food, more uses, random extra big ones which can be used for seeding big potatoes) and nerf this way

Yes, I think soil types or stuff like water paddies could benefit farming mechanics a lot. And if new soils were to be added I doubt it'd be in grass biome too so it' even better.

#7 2018-10-17 16:01:39

pein

Booklat1 wrote:
pein wrote:

a different soil which would allow new plants (new plant to make ropes)

Yes, I think soil types or stuff like water paddies could benefit farming mechanics a lot. And if new soils were to be added I doubt it'd be in grass biome too so it' even better.

i mean new soil which is created by plough
so has an unique tech tree branch with high requirements

Last edited by pein (2018-10-17 16:01:51)

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2018-10-18 13:51:34

Tramax

Instead of trying to consolidate a fair bit of this feedback, I'll link back to the thread in the reddit post so if Jason looks at the suggestion on reddit he can consider all this - after all it's some pretty nice feedback, so thanks guys.

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#9 2018-10-18 23:45:06

GreatShawn

How does infinite soil work? Is it a bug in the game currently?

#10 2018-10-19 00:13:57

Booklat1

GreatShawn wrote:

no. if you read the reddit post mentioned you'll see that the idea involves making soil out of the ground, costing only the tilling power of the ploughing animal.

#11 2018-10-19 02:44:07

VioletLily

Booklat1 wrote:
GreatShawn wrote:

no. if you read the reddit post mentioned you'll see that the idea involves making soil out of the ground, costing only the tilling power of the ploughing animal.

That would be kind of unrealistic though. Plants 'eat' nutrients from the soil. Planting a crop in a certain spot constantly without replenishing those nutrients would leave the land barren.

There are ways around this though. Some have planted in flood plains. Floods fertilize the soil every year. You can also intelligently alternate plants. Say plant #1 used nutrient A and releases nutrient B into the soil, and plant #2 uses nutrient B and releases nutrient A into the soil. Alternating between these two crops will allow you to go longer without adding some kind of fertilizer.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-19 02:45:28)

#12 2018-10-19 03:53:49

Tramax

VioletLily wrote:

That would be kind of unrealistic though. Plants 'eat' nutrients from the soil. Planting a crop in a certain spot constantly without replenishing those nutrients would leave the land barren.

There are ways around this though. Some have planted in flood plains. Floods fertilize the soil every year. You can also intelligently alternate plants. Say plant #1 used nutrient A and releases nutrient B into the soil, and plant #2 uses nutrient B and releases nutrient A into the soil. Alternating between these two crops will allow you to go longer without adding some kind of fertilizer.

You're absolutely right. My thinking was more along the lines of, "how to gameify easier hoeing and thus growing for mass production" but if you were being realistic something you're talking about would be a neat way to give better yields.

#13 2018-10-19 05:12:51

pein

it would be ok if it would distribute soil and till it , like dump baskets of soil in a special cart, and till it on the go, and would be a bit more resistant

#14 2018-10-19 06:41:33

PeaGirl

I spoke about this before and I will speak about it to remind you. Pea plants, like beans, do catch nutrients from air that are highly beneficial for land to recover it's pH value enough so that it would be usable for new plants. Having ploughed soil vary with different kinds of plants and switch by time is considered beneficial, or just letting ploughed land to grow wildlife again for it to replenish resources enough to be reploughed.
Floods would make no sense in OHOL in this matter, because we have no seas that would show the signs of tides. But it would be also quite complex to do soil condition as VioletLily was noting. But if he is willing to work on this in future, it would make the game realistic in either of these suggestions. I personally like workhorse idea really, it would give an alternative choice for compost making, gives the idea of "evolution" in farming, although it has drastically evolved for a long while. I believe tractors would become a lifelong investment after workhorse, but let's just keep up on today, not on future.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

Board footer