One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-16 00:00:35

Tramax

Be smart as a mother please!

There is certainly an epidemic going around lately of mothers juggling babies rapidly, then crying out "I'm so fucking hungry!" before eating stored food.
I have tried many many times to try and explain why I run away as the mother reaches for me despite my 90% full hunger bar.

Many mothers insist that it's okay, there's a lot of stew/pies nearby. I understand that your society is thriving right now, I really do. But consider how much longer those great food items would last if you didn't eat just under half of them over the space of two minutes. In addition - consider if all mothers followed that rule of thumb. This takes a tonne of workload off of the bakers and chefs, which allows them to pursue a secondary passion project or help with your work!

The rest of the mothers I try to explain this to seem to be new mothers, panicking that their baby will starve as they type F, so they seem to want to be as preventative as possible. To be fair, when I tell some mums, "No don't pick up, I will say F when hungry" they reply that sometimes babies don't even say F. But this is the thing! If you always remind your baby to say F when hungry after you greet, name them and ask if they're new if they still die you did what you could. If we as a community are firm about the F practice then it'll cull the behaviour of expecting to be picked up four times over the next two minutes which causes people thinking they don't need to say F.

I find the best thing to do is to explain the F rule while holding the baby, and doing such while standing on a perfectly warm tile. You actually get a lot of time standing at perfect temperature, so an explanation is not a burden, and if you really need to dash off to get some food for yourself, your baby will last a long time after you leave. When you return, wait for it to say F so you, too have a full bully for longer, allowing for you to give the lay of the land as well if you wish, or allocate it a job and ask if it's new... Possiblities are endless if you don't rush around trying to feed your baby constantly while tending to your job.

Edit: I understand not everyone uses the forums, and in particular the second kind of mother may not have even made a forum account. But if the forum goers start communicating this, then the rest will follow. Lead by example and all that.

Last edited by Tramax (2018-10-16 01:08:25)

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#2 2018-10-16 00:39:16

Starknight_One

Re: Be smart as a mother please!

Amen. I'll let you know when to feed me. Constantly juggling babies is a waste of food.

In addition, if I run to a tile near where you left me, I'm probably trying to adjust my temperature. Either that or my mouse got stuck. wink

#3 2018-10-16 14:45:38

WalrusesConquer

Also kids who say f the SECOND they lose a bar. I KNOW you can't have possibly starved that quickly!
Edit: can I also just say that one of the least thanked job is being a wetnurse in a city, with 10 babies screaming but staying In the same place. That job needs some organization.

Last edited by WalrusesConquer (2018-10-16 14:47:21)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#4 2018-10-16 19:48:34

Czak.

Before update with tutorial some mothers don t know how to eat or plant carrots. And yes I dont like to see how mothers waste food. I m always waiting until my hungry bar go to 1-2 then i SAY F .Also now many people dont know how to take water from deep well. Heh

#5 2018-10-16 20:46:14

hmrka

Baby kept teeling me to stop picking up kids bcus I "waste food" town was almost dead and the reason I was eating many pies was because I needed more girls. As soon as the kid left I agreed with their sibling that It's annoying. The kid didnt even mind when some stupid person feed him pie, he was only mad that I picked him up lol.

Personally I find kids who say F right before dying more annoying. But yeah It does anger me when I see mothers juggling kids.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#6 2018-10-16 21:13:54

Catfive

WalrusesConquer wrote:

Also kids who say f the SECOND they lose a bar. I KNOW you can't have possibly starved that quickly!
Edit: can I also just say that one of the least thanked job is being a wetnurse in a city, with 10 babies screaming but staying In the same place. That job needs some organization.

Instruct them - 'step to me and say F for food' if they can't manage that then they won't be able to feed themselves after you wean them anyway
Edit: Also tell them come for food when down to 3 bars if there's lots of them, 2 if just a couple.

Always have good results this way because those who don't follow it don't get fed wink

Last edited by Catfive (2018-10-16 21:15:21)

#7 2018-10-17 12:30:33

voy178

Whenever I take the role of a wetnurse I stand in the fire with the children and instruct them to walk out to the side when at 2 bars. So far it has been the most effective food saver since I also limit my own food waste. Although I can see how someone might think you loose a worker to this profession, but it is more efficient to have a designated wetnurse to free up work for others. Remember to switch often so as to not get too old.

#8 2018-10-17 16:08:16

pein

hmrka wrote:

Baby kept teeling me to stop picking up kids bcus I "waste food" town was almost dead and the reason I was eating many pies was because I needed more girls. As soon as the kid left I agreed with their sibling that It's annoying. The kid didnt even mind when some stupid person feed him pie, he was only mad that I picked him up lol.

Personally I find kids who say F right before dying more annoying. But yeah It does anger me when I see mothers juggling kids.

now its based on temperature, nothing to do with your hunger bar

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer