One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-15 05:53:18

Tramax

Road Construction

Personally, I'm getting a real kick out of building roads for self-sustainable settlements that either don't have any or only have roads around the perimeter and no "highway" lately.
Due to the fact that people legitimately seem to hate contiguous stone road roads because of the speed, I was advised to put breaks in the road, which is good advice. I've tried placing both wooden and stone floor down and it seems to work. But I've got a couple of questions:
I have been going for six stone roads followed by breaks in order to give a small boost to speed while making it hard to completely overshoot your destination. Is that a happy compromise for most people or could I go higher?
When putting intersections/turns should I always put a break in the stone road?
Stone floors do slow you down if they interrupt a series of stone road right? I was quite old at the time and wanted to get a lot of road down before I died, so I didn't extensively test it.
Is it usually okay to take some boards or cut stone that has been lying there for at least five minutes?
Thanks for your time, hopefully we can make more optimal roads together!

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#2 2018-10-15 07:02:43

VioletLily

Re: Road Construction

I agree that stops should be placed at most intersections.

I've never really liked there being stops placed elsewhere in stone roads though. It kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. Having to stop and then continue every few tiles really slows you down. Do people really have a problem with overshooting their destination or is their another reason these stops are preferred? How many people prefer these stops over a continuous road? (I'm genuinely curious)

And thank you for building roads smile

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-10-15 07:03:21)

#3 2018-10-15 07:06:20

Tarr
Banned

Please do not use stone for flooring. Wooden boards are both renewable and can be ripped up and reused for other purposes if someone doesn't like the stop/floor/whatever. Stone is a limited resource and using it for flooring is essentially just throwing it away since you cannot rip up a stone floor (along with road.)

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2018-10-15 07:27:43

pein

flat rock roads are good way to get from point A to B

now don't have anything in between A and B to cross trough

even you got all the tools, don't cross trough the forge area or the berry
others work with it

best fast roads just touch the city from a direction, showing a way to ponds (later they become wells) or iron vein
or an outpost
do not have them inside city is annoying
stops are needed where you stop
for example near the pen, even if 90% of people just run trough, the one who wants to stop near pen has priority
no reason to stop anywhere without resources to gather, so you might make a stop in a savanah but not much reason to stop in middle of ice, maybe in front of it
spend more time with making signs or notes, where the roads lead

also i would prefer empty tiles next to roads, don't just make it a compact fast road near a graveyard or so, people need to eat and step down from road to do so
so in this case around 50 tiles can be a stop but adapt to the map, not a generic number, make a picnic area with some pies or some bushes, whatever keeps people fed who are curious whats on the other end of  the road

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-10-15 18:35:17

Tramax

Good perspective people, I spawned into a town where I laid down its more southern road, and applied the advice you guys dispensed to improve it and I am a lot happier adding a few stops, especially since I left gaps with no wooden floor which another player seemed to take as a lack of resources not intended design because they filled them in with more stone road.

A follow up question with all that in mind, I agree putting unnecessary roads in the middle is annoying and counter-intuitive. However, eventually the city limits will naturally expand a bit. Once that begins happening, would the best way to accommodate that be to essentially make concentric rings of road that never intersect rippling outwards, with a "main path" wooden floor connecting the outer rings to the middle circle?
Secondly, it's far more economic to leave notes than to make signs for your typical diversion road. Perhaps people interested in indicating notes are giving directions can "authenticate" themselves by putting down a rose bush, like a signature?
Finally, I did a test run of putting berry bushes on a highway to a mine someone made before I started this thread, but what ended up happening after I spawned back in that settlement is that of course, composting and watering them wasn't a worry for most as they were all dead. Should setting up a picnic area include setting up plants and bowls for making compost and a bucket of water alongside a courtesy note asking to maintain the plants when refueling your hunger?

#1 Ranked baby player in the competitive OHOL community. Colour yourself impressed.
Also ranked #221354986 every other life state player in competitive OHOL. I'm nothing if not consistent.

#6 2018-10-16 01:32:00

Booklat1

But really, only make roads if it'll lead somewhere and if you can finish them. Roads to nowhere are absolutely disgusting.

Like pein said, best roads will probably lead to other settlements or water. There are no other resources worth the investiment of a road to gather/transport faster. Roads have, in fact, some of the same limitations as rails, an in they're really good to transport things faster but there ain't much that needs to be transported this fast from static location A to static location B. Most resources are either close to cities or run out fast so there's little need to constantly hauling over and over.

But who knows, maybe you really want to stockpile salt for those tasty sauerkrauts.

#7 2018-10-16 08:42:03

pein

the diagonal thing i said seems to be straight, just depending on where you are at the map, so while people saying 'oh that vein gonna be depleted and makes the road useless' im kinda certain the next biome and the next vein will be on the route to it, but ofc to make sure, just scout out far before deciding on a road

im not sure what picnic should be, berry bushes with a compost and pond/cistern, dump the soil piles out, then needs no hoe, only a bowl to fix on the go

or just some pies laying around.

i could also imagine just planting carrots and throw them out, its not an issue of space if it's a feeding spot, just whatever food will do
i seen town with a huge road across rabbits, i went out with a full pie and barely made it back with a backpack
and ofc later i found rabbits much closer, making my trip kinda a waste

the other thing i seen in 2hol was a berry line along the road
now you cant keep up both sides and every tile, but you can do one bush each 10 tiles or so, but fixing it is easier to make a few near a soil pile or make several composts and a few pouches of water or a bucket
even if it goes dry it might save a life
now carrots and corn consume same soil and water, carrots even take the soil away for seeds, so even optimal case 1 bowl of soil wasted for 7 seeds, so each 6 carrot rows cost an extra soil, same for dry bushes, you get kindling if not fix it, but you can replant it if any of it still alive

no need to make it huge, but if you find an ok spot, you can use for an outpost, even if its like green spot with ice, a sauercraut base can be made there, if it's a savanah, leave fire making tools, maybe plant a leaf tree and a few saplings, and have needle with yarn and a flint there, maybe a note, they can eat cooked rabbit while making a pack

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer