One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-08 11:25:35

Morti

Ice Holes and Dead Dogs

Two of the biggest pet peeves at the moment, with the game, are the ice holes that penguins produce and the corpses of dead dogs. The dogs are not despawning and are not movable, and the ice holes don't disappear over time and the penguins are immortal so we can't stop them from producing the holes.

Suggested Solutions

For the dogs, make them heavy, like big hard rocks, but make it so people can carry them and move them. Allow us to bury them, in the case that someone does form a bond with an animal, and it meets an untimely demise to a wolf, bear or snake, they can be given a decent burial. If not buried, the corpses should decay over time. 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours, whatever it is. You could add dog bones, but if you do, give them a decay time as well.

The ice holes should disappear over time as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … ource=link

Since this is the place to discuss the game, feel free to share your experiences with, or thoughts on, these issues.

#2 2018-10-08 11:56:17

Dodge

Re: Ice Holes and Dead Dogs

+1 for dogs, i usually get called griefer and chased down when i breed dogs (not pit bulls regular dogs) because they dont despawn

But we need ice holes for the sauerkraut so not so much a good idea if they disapear

Do penguins make the ice holes? that sounds weird they should spawn from the ice hole and not create one

#3 2018-10-08 12:28:52

voy178

You can see massive fields of migrating ice holes going over the roads in some towns. It is quite distracting.

+1 to all of them. But it seems Jason would rather fix what is unintentionally convenient for us than removing the stuff that unintentionally makes it inconvenient.

#4 2018-10-08 14:41:44

Tarr
Banned

Funny note: Jason actually didn't know that all the dogs were besides German Shepherds were bugged to not despawn. Thankfully he'll looking into fixing dead dogs/puppies today along with some of the other bugs we reported.

Ice holes have been a long standing issue that Jason knows about but since he's never actually seen the bug be replicated on his test servers. ICe holes are just weird.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2018-10-08 15:17:24

pein

with planting trees you get branches, with branches you can make stakes, stakes count as item and you can cover roads with them, also seeds or needles, its actually good to have items on road so animals wont kill the runners

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-10-08 15:36:44

Falsewall

Pretty surprised you didn't come to the conclusion of let's dump dogs in ice holes.

#7 2018-10-08 18:03:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Dogs have been fixed in the server code (not live yet).  The same pattern issue was affecting dying dry saplings (only Maples would die, just like only German Shepherd bodies would disappear).

I just set up a test map full of ice holes and penguins.

The only issue I've seen is that the ice hole will sometimes disappear after the penguin jumps out of it, if the hole is blocked to the south.  This is pretty normal engine behavior, and happens with the bear cave, goose stump, etc.  If blocked, the moving object has nowhere to go, so it replaces the object that it's standing on.

I have NOT seen any moving holes on my end, ever.... nor have I seen extra holes being created.

If anyone has any more info about what conditions might trigger it, please let me know.  Also, if you can shoot a video of it happening live, that would help too.

#8 2018-10-08 18:14:05

ShadouFireborn

There's an area Southwest of Goose Town on Server 1 that has ice holes gone out of control. That would be probably the best place to get an example.

Also, would like to note that Goose Town has been around and active for a VERY long time. I don't think I've had a night of play over the last week that I didn't end up there, and it's only been in the last couple of days that the ice holes issue has been noticeably out of control. It might be something that only comes up if an area with ice holes is kept active for an extended period of time, or something that triggers with player interaction... Like the penguins running directly away from a player and creating a new ice hole if the direction the penguin ran doesn't put them back at their original hole? Just some guesswork here, I don't know how exhaustively you've been testing the issue

Last edited by ShadouFireborn (2018-10-08 18:21:59)

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#9 2018-10-08 18:30:59

Jk Howling

I can playback my recent lives and see if I can find the one where I had problems with the ice holes. Will upload a video of it if I find it.

Edit: Or at least I would, if my playbacks were working properly, but fsr it just gives me errors on the starting screen and I watch as my mouse moves around as if I were playing, but don't get to see the actual game. Oh well. Will record any ice holes I see in future lives.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-08 18:37:59)

-Has ascended to better games-

#10 2018-10-08 19:00:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, the recording system isn't perfect.

It works most of the time, though!

One thing that will currently screw it up is if the recording had a custom server set, but you no longer have that set when you try to play back the game (or vice-versa).

The other thing that will screw it up is a data or code mismatch (like, if there's been an update since when the recording was made).

As a sanity check, can you try playing briefly (maybe just poking around the menu) and then seeing if that most recent recording plays back correctly?

Then try playing a brief life on the server and see if that will play correctly.

If neither of those work, you may have found a bug that I'm not aware of.  Please email me if that's the case.

#11 2018-10-09 09:03:22

Adveloq

No one can pretend this isn't a problem:
One_Life_2018_10_09_10_26_31.png One_Life_2018_10_09_10_00_45.png One_Life_2018_09_26_01_27_32.png

I am Eve Raven. If not, I will name my babies after flying creatures. Or ridiculous and long names like Oluwadunmininu.

#12 2018-10-09 10:19:49

Lum

Adveloq wrote:

No one can pretend this isn't a problem.

Just swim

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#13 2018-10-10 03:41:24

Spot

#14 2018-10-10 07:41:43

PeaGirl

While being in old Quint city, there was west side city that had one ice hole for salt water, but after 2-3 hours I noticed that instead of one, there was 4-5 of them right next to each other.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

Board footer