One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-06 19:29:06

taidg

Need a Way to Remove Chests

Currently there is no way to remove a chest. If an area is walled off in ancient stone walls with only a few doorways, a griefer can build a chest in the doorway(s) and the structure becomes impossible to enter or exit forever.

#2 2018-10-06 19:40:55

Jk Howling

Re: Need a Way to Remove Chests

Oh, this again. There was a thread about this not that long ago. My idea was doing something similar to how flint-tipped bowdrills can remove the arrowhead with a piece of flint, but instead we can remove the lid with an adze or bowsaw and get planks in return.

Maybe using an Adze or a Bowsaw on a chest removes the lid and gives you back the planks used on it, in a similar manner of having the planks just leaning against the side of the box until someone picks them up.

That way we get the wasted planks back, can move the box by making it a sledge/cart, and honestly the changes on Jason's end wouldn't be that big. Slight edit to the sprite [basically putting the planks leaning against the box] and the code'd basically be a recipe. "Adze/Bowsaw + Chest = Box w/ Planks." "Bare Hands + Box w/ Planks = pick up Planks"

Or maybe use an axe/hatchet on it and get kindling in a similar manner. Hatchet/Axe + Chest = Box w/ kindling. Bare hands + box w/ kindling = pick up kindling.

People could still grief by putting locks on the chest I suppose, but at least it'd take more time and effort to do this. The more time a griefer has to put into their work, the less often it'll be done. Besides, I tend to kill anyone making a key/lock set already- whether intentional or not it usually means all your good gear locked up with no key, which is griefing in my eyes.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-06 19:43:10)

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2018-10-06 19:44:18

taidg

I think even if using flint on an empty box destroyed the lid, yielding no planks, it would be better than the current situation.

#4 2018-10-06 22:27:23

Catfive

Jk Howling wrote:

Oh, this again. There was a thread about this not that long ago. My idea was doing something similar to how flint-tipped bowdrills can remove the arrowhead with a piece of flint, but instead we can remove the lid with an adze or bowsaw and get planks in return.

Maybe using an Adze or a Bowsaw on a chest removes the lid and gives you back the planks used on it, in a similar manner of having the planks just leaning against the side of the box until someone picks them up.

This is the best idea imho. They are a problem as it stands. I'm coming across them being used to grief constantly and even if the griefer is cursed and killed it doesn't change the fact the box is there forever currently

#5 2018-10-06 22:43:43

Rohen

Firebrands + chest with kindling inside -> burning chest
burning chest + bowl of water -> chest
burning chest + 1 min -> ashes

#6 2018-10-06 23:18:59

Tarr
Banned

Even once chests are fixed he still has to fix rose bushes + marked graves. None of these things have high costs what so ever and permanently block something once placed. The only way you could prevent door griefing was with filled trash pits and now since they despawn we're stuck with door griefing again.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2018-10-07 13:35:58

hmrka

Jason please make chests removable everyone is using them to block houses!!! Jason plz they should be removed maybe not burned like the person above says but they should be removeable!

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#8 2018-10-07 16:53:20

Dodge

+1 for chests, marked graves and rose bushes also pine walls should have the same ancient system as the stone walls or something different that makes them removable

this as become a problem recently and nobody will make buildings and walled cities if it doesnt get fixed

we might get a whole city blocked by a rose bush tongue

#9 2018-10-07 16:58:54

Tea

Why can't we tear down ancient walls again ?

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#10 2018-10-07 17:17:41

Catfive

Tea wrote:

A mystery in itself

#11 2018-10-07 18:42:50

Vexenie

Tea wrote:

Maybe the ancient walls are SET IN STONE!

*puts on sunglasses*
YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#12 2018-10-08 20:42:29

pein

permanent is good
we need a way to make permanent things, yeah it can be bad sometimes, but i want my stuff to last, generally the problem is that something is too easy to destroy
if i make a  chest with intent then i wont like to be removed easily

i had people make dumb road out of a half grave pen and had people make cart out of a box in a pen wall

so removing could be possible but high cost, high difficulty and by multiple persons
or we need tech tiles, first of all roads and board shouldnt allow planting on them, tiles should need mallet hit before adze them off
a cheap way to make a tile free tile, maybe stakes+  hits + shovel block building or planting on a tile, can be converted back with bowl of soil + shovel
door should have a tile in 2 sides which prevent building/planting on them (3 stakes to make a door), and dont allow putting doors in front/behind tiles that block movement

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2018-10-08 21:24:21

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Chests are fixed.

#14 2018-10-09 06:23:54

Spot

jasonrohrer wrote:

Chests are fixed.

3T1QRvg.png

But it's still possible to put a lock on a chest so no one can destroy it, right?

#15 2018-10-09 06:32:17

Tarr
Banned

I think its fine to not let locked chests be breakable. Under normal circumstances lock removal is really easy as is. The only time lock removal is a problem is when they default to the ? state on server reset and you're stuck looking for a needle in a haystack.

At worst just make a few locks and keys, lock some random sign and dump the key in the wilderness where you know to retrieve it. I've had to do this in the past to be able to unlock doors that were griefed by trolls locking everything.

I wouldn't mind graves being permanent either if they went ancient like walls. This way you can have your nice little graveyards be grief proof while allowing people to remove a quickly put up uncle grave.

fug it’s Tarr.

#16 2018-10-09 08:27:28

boggers

Spot wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Chests are fixed.

https://i.imgur.com/3T1QRvg.png

But it's still possible to put a lock on a chest so no one can destroy it, right?

I assume this is on left click and you can still put an axe in a chest with right click?

#17 2018-10-09 21:04:41

Redram

Tarr wrote:

I wouldn't mind graves being permanent either if they went ancient like walls. This way you can have your nice little graveyards be grief proof while allowing people to remove a quickly put up uncle grave.

Ya this kind of delay is key, I think, to allowing some things to be permanent.  Becomes permanent after 10 hours or so.  This gives the citizens plenty of time to remove it if a griefer puts it in a bad spot, but also allows it to become a permanent un-griefable fixture in the town.  This could be done with graves and rose bushes at least, I think.  If citizens fail to fix a grief placement for 10 hours, it's their fault really.

#18 2018-10-10 07:51:57

PeaGirl

this will be interesting to see in well stocked box bakeries... I hope baker has knife ready for those ax griefers.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#19 2018-10-10 08:34:25

pein

TIaGl2R.png

be more precise next time
jason thought he needs to remove chest from the game

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer