One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-06 14:19:43

Tarr
Banned

Tarr's guide to writing on items. *patched now

Finally learned how to make talking items today. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has wanted to figure out how to trigger this bug.

Basically find an item that has transitions between full and broken/gone, the easiest thing to write on is a bowl of gooseberries. Basically grab a bowl of gooseberries (1-5 berries inside, a full bowl will not work for this) and speak whatever phrase you want to inscribe.

Now drop your partially full bowl of berries and pick it back up. You now have a speaking bowl of gooseberries.

To trigger a tool to talk you need to get the tool into its cracked stage. Once the axe/shovel/whatever is slightly cracked you can inscribe it with whatever phrase you like.

Buckets of water can be written on as long as you have between 2-9 water within it.

Anyways, have fun writing on items until Jason gets around to fixing the bug.

vX1CSba.jpg
HSrt9Bn.jpg
eUFVQxv.jpg
AJJ6gfG.jpg

Last edited by Tarr (2018-10-09 19:42:41)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2018-10-06 19:38:08

Jk Howling

Re: Tarr's guide to writing on items. *patched now

Tbh I always wondered if there was a specific set of requirements for these or if they just happened randomly lmao. Glad someone cracked it. Tbh it might be fun to have talking tools give some advice.

Say, a pickaxe that says "Iron vein to the north" or an axe that says "don't chop oaks" or a shovel that says "save me for compost"

-Has ascended to better games-

#3 2018-10-06 20:10:30

West

I just saw a shovel that said, "I wonder what u r diggin for" lol

Mostly playing as Eve West - hope to meet you one day!
Longest lineages: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=113651 "Killed by Marked Grave with Chisel"
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … _id=849569

#4 2018-10-07 07:24:04

pein

i had a shovel saying some funny stuff, i dont remember, but people always were stopped for a sec when they seen it
talking hammer is also funny
gonna have fun with this big_smile

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-10-07 13:02:22

Tea

I made an axe that said "Yes yes yes ! Use me master!" big_smile

Thanks Tarr, I will have so much fun with this !

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#6 2018-10-07 15:19:08

MultiLife

Ahhh so that's how it happens! Earlier I made a hatchet that said "Eat some omelettes gals" as we needed to empty our plates at the time, and then later as Harry "Potter" I made a berry bowl that said "Must have been a young mom" along with so many other accidental "enchantments". Once I made a smithing hammer say "Oh yeah", accidentally of course, hahah! It was funny to see people's last words being a sentence from an enchanted tool. :'D

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-10-07 15:19:46)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#7 2018-10-07 16:21:59

WalrusesConquer

Digdigdigdig
Said a shovel I picked up
Dayam! That hat tho
An axe
Both equally embarrassing

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#8 2018-10-08 00:30:12

pein

oh yeah i remember, i had a hoe saying "make your own hoe'' big_smile
cause i was pissed someone took it when we had iron, and i made it for a project

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-10-08 02:40:28

boggers

Aww, sucks that you can't make a knife that says "KILL THEM ALL!"

Guess I will have to settle for an axe that says "HEEEEERE'S JOHNNY!""

and, of course "I STOLE THIS HOE FROM THE MILKWEED FARMER"

#10 2018-10-08 04:30:14

FibreFlim

unrelated, but I was born into the Tarr family in a town known as Distantium.
I was trading with a northern town, since I had no heritage in Distantium, as my parents were killed by some donkey doer.
anyway, this dude just shoots me, telling me that "all Tarrs are rats".
didn't even know my family lol.
can only assume he was talking about you, but I really don't know. Anyway it was fun while it lasted smile

"Life sucks, and then you die."
-Vinesauce Joel

#11 2018-10-08 21:26:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This was a bug in the server code that involved uninitialized values for certain used-state objects.

When I tested it, it was only certain berry bowl states that were writable, not all of them.  I.e., the behavior is random and changes every time the server starts up.

Anyway, this has been fixed.

#12 2018-10-08 22:41:14

Tea

*cries in the corner* noooooooooo *sobbing*

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#13 2018-10-09 19:27:55

Fetch

I'm gonna get a bowl and write 'leave me next to stew pot' because it makes me nuts when people take them

#14 2018-10-09 19:42:13

Tarr
Banned

Fetch wrote:

I'm gonna get a bowl and write 'leave me next to stew pot' because it makes me nuts when people take them

Haha, unfortunately this guide is outdated now. I figured I'd post a quick guide to writing on items once I learned how to trigger it purposely. This just recently got fixed as of last patch.

fug it’s Tarr.

#15 2018-10-09 23:08:39

GreatShawn

jasonrohrer wrote:

This was a bug in the server code that involved uninitialized values for certain used-state objects.

When I tested it, it was only certain berry bowl states that were writable, not all of them.  I.e., the behavior is random and changes every time the server starts up.

Anyway, this has been fixed.

sad sad sad sad sad sad Noooo!! I'm sad that we cannot have cute talking tools and berry bowls! sad sad sad sad sad sad

#16 2018-10-10 07:44:56

PeaGirl

I remember hoe that said: "It.. it's not like I like you, or anything."

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#17 2018-10-10 20:56:44

happynova

My favorite was the axe that said "You hold her down, I'll chop her up" every time you picked it up.

I also once accidentally got a hoe to say "Piles of two are the best," which is excellent advice to get from your hoe.

#18 2018-10-12 18:54:38

Luka

This explains my hatchet shrine.

( ゚ヮ゚)/☕ Hey. Waddup. It's nice How are your lives doing.
You might know me as the person who kinda just is. There I guess. I hang out with Tarr pein bEnDi and the moderators. A pre-decay veteran.
Steam players. Watch or read tutorials please. It would help a lot.

#19 2018-10-12 18:57:28

UnnoticedShadow

No, you always want to use piles of one with you’re hoe, unless there is an iron shortage

#20 2018-10-12 19:32:55

happynova

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

No, you always want to use piles of one with you’re hoe, unless there is an iron shortage

I'd definitely figure the reverse.  Since soil is a renewable resource and iron isn't, if you're thinking long-term, you probably want to conserve iron over soil, unless there's a soil shortage, or reason to think there soon will be one.  Most people I've seen do seem to be following this strategy when putting down new soil rows, as far as I can tell.

I'd be interested if anyone has a good argument to the contrary -- maybe the idea is that towns just don't seem to last long enough to really exhaust all the iron in the vicinity? -- but this thread probably isn't the place for it.

Board footer