One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-04 08:16:53

WomanWizard

Snow Julien you stole from the wrong baby.

I told every one of my kids about you. Cursed you the moment I was old enough and kept talking about you until I died of old age.

You got more than one curse for swapping clothes with my and taking my apron when I was a toddler. My daughter was telling her baby about you when I died. If you'd have been at least apologetic about it, maybe I would have let it slide, but nooo. Had to swear at me.

By the way, love the donkey town update. Been away for a while, but things seem a lot nicer now.

#2 2018-10-04 12:06:06

Quint

Re: Snow Julien you stole from the wrong baby.

I killed Snow Julien

#3 2018-10-04 12:12:03

littlemissmesssy
Banned

Wow I'm not Julian but seriously ur that mad cuz someone swapped clothes with you when u were a baby lol just make new ones or get new ones and kill that person lol it happened to me once my sister stole my crown so I ignored then killed her

If u see someone calling u ugly randomly its me smile and i name all my boys after my ex's hmm

#4 2018-10-04 13:39:44

Stylingirl

littlemissmesssy wrote:

Wow I'm not Julian but seriously ur that mad cuz someone swapped clothes with you when u were a baby lol just make new ones or get new ones and kill that person lol it happened to me once my sister stole my crown so I ignored then killed her

Can't really ignore someone for doing something when u kill them for it lolol

#5 2018-10-04 14:06:15

PeaGirl

I personally always swap items with very young babies and tell them what I do with it. It's just stupid to swear on others if they are fully geared and you are not. Especially in less busy hours, when you see clothes almost everywhere.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#6 2018-10-04 16:12:42

pein

wow you made apron as a toddler?
rp noobs like you should wear fur, why apron for you when you talk all game?

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-10-04 17:16:59

MinnieMoocher

Wait, is that all they did? That seems like a bit of an overreaction. I swap clothes with babies all the time. Backpacks, too, if I see them carrying a knife around.

#8 2018-10-04 17:57:57

WomanWizard

pein wrote:

wow you made apron as a toddler?
rp noobs like you should wear fur, why apron for you when you talk all game?

You're kidding right? I work all the time. It's possible to talk and work believe it or not.

And no, I didn't do all that just because she swapped clothes with me. Stealing from babies is wrong, especially when they only have one piece of clothing on. And I clearly wasn't the only one to think so, because Quint stabbed her for it and my kids cursed her as well.

I cursed her because she swapped clothes with me, then when I confronted her about it and asked for it back, she got nasty with me and acted entitled to it because, I guess, she thought she was smart enough to swap clothing with a baby? I don't know. It wasn't hers to take, and to assume you're going to use it better than the baby you've swapped it off of is ridiculous. It's not like I was all geared up in a town full of naked people.

She was rude, and she was a thief, and not the kind of person I wanted to play with, so I cursed her. And I made sure to explain why I was cursing her so that my kids could make their own informed decision about it. That's all.

#9 2018-10-04 18:06:07

PeaGirl

If you were a toddler or such and got traded with important gear with someone who was in adult age... maybe it is also for a reason that you spend little bit more time near food sources than adults. In adulthood you do lot more without taking a break, so handing over important items to adults is more wiser than children. Also in other thought if adults have already proven their loyalty and work. You just need to get used to it. Besides I believe that backbags are more valuable now than aprons, considering that you can swap items now nowadays.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#10 2018-10-04 18:54:48

Jk Howling

Honestly, if I ever see a baby or toddler with better gear than me, of fucking course I'm going to swap with them. A baby doesn't need an apron, or a backpack full of knives. The adult that gave them to you shouldn't have done it in the first place if there were adults that could've and would've gladly used it better.

Besides, it isn't exactly stealing if you're required to swap it with another piece of clothing. You bet if I see a toddler running around with an apron and a backpack of gear, that I'm going to swap either my rags or my fur coat/empty backpack with it.

Adults take priority over toddlers when it comes to gear. Don't get butthurt over it. "Stealing from babies" is done to correct the mistakes of the adults that thought to gear you better than the rest of camp in the first place. What's wrong is giving a brand new baby better gear than half the adults in camp have.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-04 18:56:52)

-Has ascended to better games-

#11 2018-10-04 18:57:19

WomanWizard

PeaGirl wrote:

If you were a toddler or such and got traded with important gear with someone who was in adult age... maybe it is also for a reason that you spend little bit more time near food sources than adults. In adulthood you do lot more without taking a break, so handing over important items to adults is more wiser than children. Also in other thought if adults have already proven their loyalty and work. You just need to get used to it. Besides I believe that backbags are more valuable now than aprons, considering that you can swap items now nowadays.

Yeah, she wasn't an adult, and she hadn't proved anything. And even if she had, just straight up taking clothing off of another person is rude and shouldn't be tolerated. If you legitimately think you need that apron more than the baby, explain why you are taking it. Don't swap it and cuss at them.

The town was well off and there was more clothing around, and I've been playing the game long enough to tell when someone is doing something because it's necessary. This was really just a person being rude for the sake of being rude.

#12 2018-10-04 19:06:05

WomanWizard

Seeing the comments here, I think this is an issue that seriously needs addressing. How can so many people think it's okay to just take things from another player just because you think you need it more than them? Especially with no explanation. You can take things from toddlers in real life fairly easily, and you can probably use those items better than them, at least for the time being. But does that make it right?

There's a difference between taking the only piece of clothing a toddler is wearing, and swapping away her backpack full of knives. I get it, this is situational, but please be polite to your fellow players and communicate with them instead of just taking what you think you deserve.

#13 2018-10-04 19:27:47

PeaGirl

WomanWizard wrote:

Seeing the comments here, I think this is an issue that seriously needs addressing. How can so many people think it's okay to just take things from another player just because you think you need it more than them? Especially with no explanation. You can take things from toddlers in real life fairly easily, and you can probably use those items better than them, at least for the time being. But does that make it right?

There's a difference between taking the only piece of clothing a toddler is wearing, and swapping away her backpack full of knives. I get it, this is situational, but please be polite to your fellow players and communicate with them instead of just taking what you think you deserve.

^

#14 2018-10-04 20:03:06

Jk Howling

WomanWizard wrote:

Because first off, they're a fucking baby. They just joined the game less than 5 minutes ago, and have yet to prove themselves to be capable, let alone a productive player. If there's an adult that's been working in the town for the last 20 minutes and could actually use the apron/backpack, then they should get priority over some 2 year old entitled brat that mommy decided to stack with the best clothes in town.

Second, if it's the 'only piece a toddler is wearing' then they don't lose anything. It's swapping, not undressing. The adult has been working and could really use an extra pocket- they can use it better than the 5 year old in the berry field, so they swap their seal skin coat for it. No loss or gain on the child's end.

Manners and communication is a given, but I think people here are more bothered by the fact that you literally tried to get someone exiled to Donkey Town solely because they took an apron from a 5 year old, that mommy thought would be better on a child than a working adult.

Tough luck. You're 5, and adults get the priority for backpacks and aprons. As you said, there's plenty of other clothing around. You have plenty more time than the adults to go make your own apron, or you can put on whatever's around camp. Nobody here cares much about the poor princess who got their apron swapped with a rabbit shawl. They shouldn't have cursed at you, I agree, but that's little reason to send them to Donkey Town.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-04 20:10:50)

#15 2018-10-04 20:29:21

WomanWizard

Jk Howling wrote:

Because first off, they're a fucking baby. They just joined the game less than 5 minutes ago, and have yet to prove themselves to be capable, let alone a productive player. If there's an adult that's been working in the town for the last 20 minutes and could actually use the apron/backpack, then they should get priority over some 2 year old entitled brat that mommy decided to stack with the best clothes in town.

Second, if it's the 'only piece a toddler is wearing' then they don't lose anything. It's swapping, not undressing. The adult has been working and could really use an extra pocket- they can use it better than the 5 year old in the berry field, so they swap their seal skin coat for it. No loss or gain on the child's end.

Manners and communication is a given, but I think people here are more bothered by the fact that you literally tried to get someone exiled to Donkey Town solely because they took an apron from a 5 year old, that mommy thought would be better on a child than a working adult.

Tough luck. You're 5, and adults get the priority for backpacks and aprons. As you said, there's plenty of other clothing around. You have plenty more time than the adults to go make your own apron, or you can put on whatever's around camp. Nobody here cares much about the poor princess who got their apron swapped with a rabbit shawl. They shouldn't have cursed at you, I agree, but that's little reason to send them to Donkey Town.

It's like you skipped over basically everything I said. She was not an adult. She was not working hard. She was incredibly rude and told me to "stfu" when I asked for my apron back. I didn't do anything underhand in cursing her, just spread the word about her behavior and allowed other people to make up their minds about whether or not they wanted to curse her. It's not like I lied and told everyone she was a murderer. The community got to make their own informed decision about her, and they chose to curse her.

My comment about the issue that needs addressing, however, is less geared towards this particular situation and more towards the fact that so many people are responding to it by saying that they can and always will taking clothing from babies. Please, remember those babies are real players who were given their clothing by other real players. As a mother I like to pass off pieces of clothing to my kids if I can, and if I spot someone swapping it off of them I will absolutely be angry about it. I'm fully aware that there are situations where a baby shouldn't have what that baby has. I'm glad that you agree communication is key in these situations.

I'm just arguing for a little more decency in this community. It sucks being vulnerable and having the people around take advantage of you. It's up to us as a community to decide what we will and won't tolerate in game.

#16 2018-10-04 20:51:41

Jk Howling

WomanWizard wrote:

It's like you skipped over basically everything I said. She was not an adult. She was not working hard. She was incredibly rude and told me to "stfu" when I asked for my apron back. I didn't do anything underhand in cursing her, just spread the word about her behavior and allowed other people to make up their minds about whether or not they wanted to curse her. It's not like I lied and told everyone she was a murderer. The community got to make their own informed decision about her, and they chose to curse her.

My comment about the issue that needs addressing, however, is less geared towards this particular situation and more towards the fact that so many people are responding to it by saying that they can and always will taking clothing from babies. Please, remember those babies are real players who were given their clothing by other real players. As a mother I like to pass off pieces of clothing to my kids if I can, and if I spot someone swapping it off of them I will absolutely be angry about it. I'm fully aware that there are situations where a baby shouldn't have what that baby has. I'm glad that you agree communication is key in these situations.

I'm just arguing for a little more decency in this community. It sucks being vulnerable and having the people around take advantage of you. It's up to us as a community to decide what we will and won't tolerate in game.

Babies don't need backpacks or aprons. They're babies, and a lot of them end up dying young anyways, whether to poor hunger management, suicide, or just underestimating quite how small their food bar is. The way I and many other players see it, is that an adult that has proven to be able to survive and has been working in the town for 20+ minutes get priority on the more useful clothing articles than the babies that've been there for less than 5 minutes.

Whether this particular case involved such, maybe it wasn't. Your original post was mostly just "but muh apron! they said rude word! me and my fam cursed him haha" and you continue to stress the point that your issue with them was the fact that they took your apron, not that they were indecent.

Any mother that gives their newborn baby an apron or backpack when there are adults that lack them, is easily worse in my eyes than the older players who swap for those off the children. Those clothing articles are much better off being passed to a working adult when you no longer have use for them- which is what I tend to do with my gear when I get old. Either I pass them to one of my grown children, or pass them to a younger adult that I've noticed has been working hard.

In another sense, you can see it as being rewarded. Gearing a player you've noticed has been working hard rewards them for just that. Gearing a baby that was born 2 minutes ago.. what, rewards them for existing? For being born to you? I don't get it.

In the end, the argument is between sentimental feelings and efficiency. I choose efficiency. I'll always give my gear to the hardest workers, and will happily swap off a stacked baby if I have better use for their gear. I'll also willingly kill the angry mother/child if they refuse to understand why, and if I feel they're a threat. But not curse, because I believe donkey town should be a place for griefers and particularly nasty folk. The worst of criminals, not the petty arguers.

Edits: Clarifying a point, a few grammar edits.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-04 20:55:57)

#17 2018-10-04 21:57:36

WomanWizard

Jk Howling wrote:

Babies don't need backpacks or aprons. They're babies, and a lot of them end up dying young anyways, whether to poor hunger management, suicide, or just underestimating quite how small their food bar is. The way I and many other players see it, is that an adult that has proven to be able to survive and has been working in the town for 20+ minutes get priority on the more useful clothing articles than the babies that've been there for less than 5 minutes.

Whether this particular case involved such, maybe it wasn't. Your original post was mostly just "but muh apron! they said rude word! me and my fam cursed him haha" and you continue to stress the point that your issue with them was the fact that they took your apron, not that they were indecent.

Any mother that gives their newborn baby an apron or backpack when there are adults that lack them, is easily worse in my eyes than the older players who swap for those off the children. Those clothing articles are much better off being passed to a working adult when you no longer have use for them- which is what I tend to do with my gear when I get old. Either I pass them to one of my grown children, or pass them to a younger adult that I've noticed has been working hard.

In another sense, you can see it as being rewarded. Gearing a player you've noticed has been working hard rewards them for just that. Gearing a baby that was born 2 minutes ago.. what, rewards them for existing? For being born to you? I don't get it.

In the end, the argument is between sentimental feelings and efficiency. I choose efficiency. I'll always give my gear to the hardest workers, and will happily swap off a stacked baby if I have better use for their gear. I'll also willingly kill the angry mother/child if they refuse to understand why, and if I feel they're a threat. But not curse, because I believe donkey town should be a place for griefers and particularly nasty folk. The worst of criminals, not the petty arguers.

Edits: Clarifying a point, a few grammar edits.

My original post was angry and petty, but I like to think I've explained myself in a calm and reasonable manner since then. I totally get why you're being so aggressive giving my original attitude, and I apologize for that.

But I just can't agree with any point you're making now. You and many other players may have that opinion, but you aren't all of the players in game. I and many other players have a differing opinion and would prefer it if you were kinder to the newly joined, vulnerable members of your in game family.

When it comes to efficiency vs. sentimentality, I find that I enjoy the game so much more when it's balanced out. Obviously if everyone else in town is naked, I'm not going to hand the only backpack we have to my newborn baby. But if I have enough gear on me to give one piece to each of my kids, then the town is probably doing well enough to be able to afford it. We could go into great detail about specific situations where it's appropriate to gear or not to gear up babies, and the conversation could get very long and I doubt we'll agree on all points if any.

I've had plenty of success in game just talking to someone who grabbed an item that I was trying to hand to someone else. Often times it's a misunderstanding and when talked out, results in them returning the item. Communication is a wonderful tool that this game provides us and then gets ignored by people who think they know better than everyone else, but if your response to my confrontation is "stfu" then yeah, I'm going to retaliate, no apologies.

We have different ways of playing and that's fine. Just please don't force your methods on other people. Swapping gear with babies and stabbing their angry mothers (I really hope you were just making a point and don't actually do that in game) is just not something I can agree with.

#18 2018-10-04 23:29:17

Jk Howling

WomanWizard wrote:

My original post was angry and petty, but I like to think I've explained myself in a calm and reasonable manner since then. I totally get why you're being so aggressive giving my original attitude, and I apologize for that.

But I just can't agree with any point you're making now. You and many other players may have that opinion, but you aren't all of the players in game. I and many other players have a differing opinion and would prefer it if you were kinder to the newly joined, vulnerable members of your in game family.

When it comes to efficiency vs. sentimentality, I find that I enjoy the game so much more when it's balanced out. Obviously if everyone else in town is naked, I'm not going to hand the only backpack we have to my newborn baby. But if I have enough gear on me to give one piece to each of my kids, then the town is probably doing well enough to be able to afford it. We could go into great detail about specific situations where it's appropriate to gear or not to gear up babies, and the conversation could get very long and I doubt we'll agree on all points if any.

I've had plenty of success in game just talking to someone who grabbed an item that I was trying to hand to someone else. Often times it's a misunderstanding and when talked out, results in them returning the item. Communication is a wonderful tool that this game provides us and then gets ignored by people who think they know better than everyone else, but if your response to my confrontation is "stfu" then yeah, I'm going to retaliate, no apologies.

We have different ways of playing and that's fine. Just please don't force your methods on other people. Swapping gear with babies and stabbing their angry mothers (I really hope you were just making a point and don't actually do that in game) is just not something I can agree with.

I can agree that communication does play a big role, a lot more so than the actual action I think. The simple action of swapping clothes with a baby because they have better gear shouldn't be a trigger for curses, by any means. Neither should getting angry at being confronted about it. It's an overreaction- not just on their end, but both ends.

I think a majority of the people who responded on the topic of baby clothes swapping, were solely talking about that- which nobody is going to get upset over. In the original case of "he took my apron, I was a baby, reeeee cursed" then they'll probably take the side of the person who took the apron. Because they were older and could use the gear better. The fact that they took your apron isn't justification to waste not just one but multiple curse tokens on.

Of course, that opinion can change when they hear more of the story. The guy was an ass about it, started cussing in response, etc. They could've acted better in that scenario. But is that still justification for purposely going after them with curses? Ranting about their action for the rest of that life, enticing more curses at them?  It's overreactions like this that make me hate some of the playerbase. People will throw that shit at the first person who looks at them funny, because "ree u hurt my feewings" suddenly equals "I am justified in my actions. Begone demon!"

I've talked down people who've tried to stab me over miscommunications- rather than stab them in retaliation, I took their knife when they dropped it and put it in my bag. Me and several other villagers then explained to him why I stabbed his 'wife' as she'd been going after girls in town and had already killed a couple. He realized his mistake and apologized, but I gave the knife to a calmer player. He caused no other issues that life, and I'm glad it ended peacefully.

I've also explained to people that I'm using something and to please not just grab it when it's already in use by another player. To some degree, baby clothes can apply to this- yeah I suppose if you're an asshole about it, you can eventually bring retaliation. But overreacting doesn't help. Complaining about him to your children and grandchildren does nothing. Maybe if he was an actual griefer, but all I've heard was "he took my apron and then said stfu so curses all around"

Overall I just wish people would chill a bit when it comes to cursing. Just because someone hurt your precious feelings, doesn't automatically mean you should go around getting people to curse them so they go to Donkey Town. Curses should be saved for the worse players, the people who go out of their way to grief- killing others, ruining creations, being aggressive and racist.

And as far as swapping clothes with a baby, I'll never argue against it, even if someone does it to me. Without context, the action alone is completely neutral, and definitely doesn't incite being cursed for. I'm most definitely not going to pass down the story to my children, of the time an older player stole my apron. It's not worth it.

PS: The comment on killing angry mothers/children was sincere. I'm not afraid to stab someone who refuses to let things go and becomes a threat. I've been stabbed in the back enough times by petty players who got upset over something stupidly small, smaller than taking an apron from a baby. I don't risk shit. If they're throwing a hissy fit and I feel they might go after me, I won't hesitate to defend myself.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2018-10-04 23:33:27)

#19 2018-10-05 05:50:49

pein

well in ginger update was pretty clear still nobody learned it, i collected 6 bags from total 3 in forest
gearing babies is wrong on many levels
first of all there are others working naked and you prefer your virtual kid?
if you come later you should get the remaining stuff, not skip over a whole generation and give to random babies who cannot lift a pebble

if you are a baby/kid, you are a walking wardrobe
your whole phrasing is incorrect
stealing is when you feed 6 sheep and someone takes the 6 fleece at any point and makes an apron
so if i see a kid under 12 is pretty sure he didnt made any of his clothes
swapping isnt stealing, and while people know which clothes are most asked for, like apron, girls shouldnt wear it in first place, its cold, wear fur, i got no problem helping kids with warmer clothing
apron is a tool, holds hammer/mallet/knife/shears
same for pack, you need to store tools, ropes, arrows, weapons
i made experiments, gearing the smarter kids, and motivated them to work more, and noobs were naked, so i knew they wasnt contributing much, and i could associate people faster, seen people asking questions from the right persons
a ful lgear noob will answer questions but just misleads others
you still got the possibility to pick it up from a dead body
why cant jsut peopel put clothes down and wait the kid to grow and let him pick it up for himself?
this would ensure that
-he is smart to do so
-he can explore town to find items
-he knows the importance of clothes
you dont own anything you havent made, possibly past lifes is ok to give something back to you if you died of old age

weapons shouldnt go to random persons either, i was the only one composting and a girl ate 2 carrots in 1 second then took one in pack, when i followed she ran away like griefers do, i told everyone she is griefing, not really listening to me, she returned and took 2 more, we were down to 3 and barely any seeds, and kinda 3 minutes all the berry was depleted after its return
i stabbed her and a noob stabbed me for it on my slowdown, i dint moved cause i was right, and most people understood, cause those are just carrots she told, well no, those were the last hope of havign any compost and she didnt worked with it so shouldnt even have a knife if not baker or shepard, or at least a decent player who goes around checkign what is missing and where

if someone takes your clothes as a baby and talks back, yeah you might kill him
but asking others to kill someone or others kill someone over it is just a bad excuse, and you are the one who deserves a stab
i seen a queen asking to stab me, i was working my whole life, she just roleplaying with a crown, somebody attacked me causeshe said so, and she wont die, she wont get stabbed, she wont starve on slowdown, and nobody will curse her whatever happens, so dont ever do that. and if someone asks for some petty things like this, stab them instead

cause as you stated, you werent over it in 40 minutes or so, so i dont think you were too useful
i seen this kind of people, like stealing my bow, my arrow and ''revenge'' for some petty stuff like picking up a backpack from ground before them ignoring babies and work for 40 min then they so happy they come back from nowhere and shoot you while you are talking and you over it long ago
i might stab lot of people but i generally warn them if unintended, yes i consider any form of delaying as griefing, and if you do it multiple times and refuse to communicate is griefing
complaining 30 minutes and talking to others to frame someone for petty things is also delaying others from work
its not really a choice, you either want a working city, which can sustain itself or not
dont take rope from sheep pen to make a skirt and dont make packs when someone tries to get sheep, wait with cosmetics, and dont think anyone owes you for your existence

all i see is people not cursing for real reasons, like you intend to kill me and cant do it, then why curse me?  its just petty
if i curse i make sure you get 5-6 curses and for a real reason and i rather keep my curse point than to curse someone who annoyed me accidentally or by intent, but the damage is repairable
yeah i rather stab you than curse you

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#20 2018-10-05 18:15:49

WomanWizard

Wow, I take it back. I thought my original comment was petty, but I think pein's got me beat.

To both JK and pein, I am going to reiterate what I said before. We are not going to agree on when it is or isn't okay to gear babies, and going into long rants about specific situations isn't going to get us anywhere. I will continue to treat them like real people and future members of my in game society, and I will continue to defend them when they are taken advantage of.

Also, Pein, in my experience most babies aren't cold. They are in deserts, where it's probably a bad idea to give them fur clothing.

Jk Howling wrote:

I think a majority of the people who responded on the topic of baby clothes swapping, were solely talking about that- which nobody is going to get upset over. In the original case of "he took my apron, I was a baby, reeeee cursed" then they'll probably take the side of the person who took the apron. Because they were older and could use the gear better. The fact that they took your apron isn't justification to waste not just one but multiple curse tokens on.

Yes, I agree. This is why I said my original comment was petty. It's what came after that I'm concerned about. This "babies are wardrobes and I deserve their stuff" attitude. I'm just asking you to respect the people you are playing with. You may find that you have a friendlier experience with the game that way.

As for curse tokens. We are given the tools to police ourselves as a society in game, whether that be from berry sponges, murderers, racists, etc. If people in game choose to curse someone who steals from babies, they aren't wasting their token just because you disagree with them. It may just be that these people don't approve of that behavior.

I like to bond with my babies while I'm raising them, and if I choose to do that by telling them about something that happened to me as a kid, then so be it. If I chose to do that by passing on my snakeskin boots to one, and my apron to another, then that's my choice too. It is not, however, an invitation for you to take their stuff. I'm more useful as a toddler than half of the adults in game, and find it kind of weird you guys think I don't work just because I found the time to tell my children about the kid who stole my apron as a baby.

#21 2018-10-05 20:29:07

Roblor

Talk of "theft" is absurd in a game where crafting an item from scratch is rarely done by only one player.

Say for example you fed six sheep to make yourself an apron.
You did take a bunch of berries and carrots that maybe someone else planted and kept going. If it was you who planted those carrots and berry-bushes, then well done.
Although you most probably ate food that wasn't made by you. Even if you only ate from wild food sources, painstakingly gathered on your own it's worth considering that the wild resources belong to everyone. But we're all responsible players here. We all usually leave more food behind than we consume.
Now getting that apron still require someone to make shears and sheep-pen and I have yet to met the player who is able to singlehandedly;
1 - Leave more than, or equal, the amount of food that they ate
2. - get the basic tools to plant berries and carrots (clay bowls doesn't get used up, but I still consider myself indebted to it's maker if credit is to be given where credit is due).
3. - Plant said carrots and carrots (or just gather enough wild ones)
4. - Do all the steps required for sheep
    - pen, bow & arrow, etc
5. - All the steps required for shears.
    -  forge, goose, file, etc

No one here has played truly alone and gone through all the steps by themselves single-player, like just ran away naked as a kid and started with nothing and still managed to make an apron before the clock ticks out.

What I'm trying to say is that this game is meant to be played in a manner where we all build upon the achievements of our predecessors and peers.
Therefore the concept of ownership is absurd.

But communism is never gonna work out blah blah blah blah

I can't believe I spend so much time writing on a thread that everybody is totally fed up with. Who the hell is gonna read all this???

Last edited by Roblor (2018-10-05 20:39:37)

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#22 2018-10-05 22:49:43

WomanWizard

Roblor wrote:

I can't believe I spend so much time writing on a thread that everybody is totally fed up with. Who the hell is gonna read all this???

Yeah, I have to agree that it's a pretty exhausting thread at this point.

But you make some interesting points about the idea of ownership in One Life. I'd like to add that real life is quite similar. Unless you ran out into the woods and built everything you own like one of those primitive survival youtubers (who are actually wearing clothing and therefore are still befitting from someone else's work), even in the real world your belongings are built upon the work of others. But they are, in fact, still yours.

In One Life ownership is a more difficult thing to define, since you have such a limited time to observe and lay claim to things. Clothing is basically the only item in game that you can easily identify who it belongs to, because that clothing is literally on somebody's body. Past that, items in backpacks or aprons can be seen as belonging to someone, though those items get swapped out often, like putting your empty plate back and getting a different pie. If somebody is following another person around, waiting for them to remove an item from their backpack so that they can snatch it, that could easily be seen as stealing.

Tools are tricky, because you can't keep them on you, and probably shouldn't since other people will need them and the supplies to make them are limited. But some tools are best left where they are, and taking them could certainly been seen as stealing. Like moving the smithing hammer to literally any location other than the forge. Sometimes tools are in a logical place, like an ax next to a large pile of logs and kindling, or a hoe near the stew farm. Taking those tools and not putting them back where your found them could be viewed at stealing as well, though you are getting into pretty grey territory here.

Pein's point about taking wool from sheep you didn't feed, or taking supplies like the flat rock someone's using to make tortillas, could also be viewed as stealing. But usually in these cases it's less malicious and more a lack of awareness or understanding of the job those item are being used for. Does it count as stealing if it's an accident? I get accused of stealing all the time when I'm tending the sheep pen, even when I'm the one feeding the lambs and butchering/removing the bodies. People can get pretty aggressive about the job they are trying to work, because the lack of ownership in game makes it so easy to step on each other's toes.

And this is just how I view things. In the end, what counts as theft in game comes down to what your community views as stealing. And I would hazard a guess that this changes from game to game, so it can't be defined easily.

#23 2018-10-05 23:37:21

GreatShawn

littlemissmesssy wrote:

I am suspicious that you are the snow julian she's talking about because first if you're not you wont even say that you're not snow julian, and you said that you are snow julian, so it is suspected that you are the troll. Second you are defending against her which sholdn't be happening unless you are snow julian herself! So be warned everyone she might just be snow julian!

#24 2018-10-06 00:54:46

ShadouFireborn

Let's throw another level of confusion on this topic. When I'm getting on to 40 and not expecting to have any more kids, I will usually give the clothes, backpack, apron, or whatever else I might be wearing or using to my next born baby. Minus any knives, of course... I either hold on to those or give them to the shepherd, cook, or trapper if I can find them and they don't already have one.

The idea that someone can take the stuff I've given off of my own back from my kid irritates me to no end. I don't care if you think it's communism, who made it, or what else is going on in your head. I've passed the torch and given my tools of my trade to my kid. If you think you deserve it more and want to take it from my kid... screw you. Those were MY gear, and I gave it to MY kid. If you wanted it so bad, you could do MY job, whatever I was doing, which I typically teach (if necessary) my kid to do and let them take over.

I've learned my lesson, though, and have started waiting until my kid is old enough or close to old enough that nobody can just swap their gear like that. After the last time an adult swapped my kid's crown with a wool hat, new backpack (with my pie and snares) with a worn backpack, and apron (with needle and thread) with a fur coat, and then stole and ran away with my cart full of baskets, I've learned not to trust ANYONE to leave my kid's gear alone.

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#25 2018-10-06 07:06:22

pein

well i did, and most lives do the sheep pen alone , and all the tools to make clothes
and making two aprons by your hand takes a lifetime
the baby is another player, is not your baby, its the baby of the city
just like everyone else, think it logically, you wouldnt like it either being in their spot
thats why multiple fertile females dont really work cause they never communicate on clothes or abandoning kids
yes im envious of a full gear baby when i dont even have a pack, pretty sure im gonna be the one who goes furthest anyway
so i consider baby gearing the mix of lack of knowledge and bad intention, i will often question their decisions and if they are rude about it, thats a stab, if they do other msitakes, thats also a stab, i wont be so angry on a naked newbie, than a full gear one

as for parents, you already see some key things: is it standing on the right spot? is it moving when not needed, is not moving when needed? now you can even make stupid faces as baby
so you can at least test a baby to know if its newbee, medium to pro
now without knowing what job gonna do, or will it work at all, do not give tools to them, apron pack and weapons are not for any baby

its not about specific situations
if someone rants over petty stuff, generally going to kill someone, even if not, its an overly sensitive person who will be affected by that and wont give 100%
yes, give kids clothes that give heat, they will grow, they will use it, next update even more
you might spend your life on desert, generally you wont, maybe newbies who will only eat and farm a bit
i think this people just try to buy their kids love with giving clothes

for example if i give a seal skin coat to you, i dont consider you the owner, its still made by me, and my intention was to keep you hot, have more babies, if you give it to a noob girl (you lose the bonus in meantime) who dies, it was a waste of my time, and yes i would like to get it back, rather than some guy wearing it, so its more like a loan, you fail to fulfill a promise when not wearing it
same for baby gearing, you make a mistake with it, the baby can run away, if its unskilled will die anyway, maybe in forest, swamp, behind a tree, and its your fault you didnt seen it coming
want to buy a girls love or convince with clothing to stay? thats pathetic
the only exception when you got 1-2 females left, any clothes that give heat should go to them

want to show you are  a good parent? thats roleplay only
especially most of people dont care about the kid once it has hair, you still got 2 minutes to feed the kid and check upon him/her
you will have other babies, others will have other babies, give each one piece not yours everything and others stay naked
the more you play the more irritating, even if the city has famines, bad placement, i will live to 60, i often see a full gear change owner 6 times while im still almost naked

would it hurt so much to wait the baby grow up, see what he/she starts doing, based on that you could reward with clothing
if its communicative you might not even need to wait much
put down the clothing on the ground, if picks it up then knows its important
put furs down and let them make himself

the way people swap item, they could stab the kid just as easy, and in some cases would be understandable
but babies are not really the fault, their mother is, gearing your own kids and neglecting others means you do not care about the society, giving away clothes when you dont have means you consider any random player better than you
with the pack comes the responsibility of scouting and getting items from A to  B
with a knife, you got the responsibility to stab the sheep when pen is full, not fulfilling this, makes you a risk to society

its still a petty thing
it wont worth a curse, over a serial killer, a griefer who cuts trees or eats pies and carrot or the crazy roleplayers who command others and do nothing
if you want to kill them for it, do it, but getting more curses over such banal stuff its too much
also telling others to kill for it, no, just ask for a weapon and do it yourself, i wouldnt risk to kill someone who plays normally after an incident, i might die, i might starve, i might get killed afterwards cause someone arrives late, i might get cursed over your petty revenge, and on the other hand, if i got attacked by a ''champion'' like this, i am forced to kill him, but the person who sent it, will be alive and well with no risk of any of this

i never seen babies with pack asking where rabbits are so he can go and make more packs, mostly i see that they are fine, they dont farm cause they can store food, they dont help making tools cause they dont care, they make rooms, talk, make paper or other cosmetics while others work their ass off for them
geared babies and crowns are a sign of a soon dead lineage, you might not care, others do, and your actions got consequences

its a maybe, you cannot know, while a person who is already working, its a good investment for the city, so gear him

as a baby you are not owned anything
you need to prove yourself
and your priority clothing are those which give heat, apron wont, so if someone older gives you fur or seal skin over your apron, its not a big deal, you got enough time to make yourself an apron until the time
so if anyone asks for clothing, you might consider giving them some or helping them out some way

Board footer