One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-01 07:15:46

InSpace

Town Design Guide

I see alot of towns that are a mess, no structure and it takes a large part of every life to even get an idea of the layout. So I thought I would give my thoughts on how I think town design could be done to help everyone. This isn't perfect, but since the lack of any guide like this, I'd fill the gap.

YXIR9Ne.jpg
CvHbYnp.jpg

#2 2018-10-01 12:49:06

InSpace

Re: Town Design Guide

It helps to write signs for information, here is a guide on how to make letters:
XmvFso2.png

#3 2018-10-01 13:02:27

Falsewall

Weeee pictures!

#4 2018-10-01 13:28:59

pein

ponds become wells, wells will need buckets, buckets need free tile, generally right next to them
ponds block movement, so you cant make straight road, think about it, where can you go near a pond with a road, where can you put a big enough farm, dont just plant around a pond
2ra9MVH.png

if you got a desert, build and plant on the edges of it, symmetry is secondary, efficiency is the main part
red circles are perfect or close to perfect temperature (add up the number of the desert and non desert tiles around it including the tile, 5to4 is perfect temp as i remember, bit different for ice)
one of this circles should be under a kiln
dont plant under kiln, dont have cactus next to a kiln, generally you dont want trees or soil or stone either but you can clear that pretty fast
plant bushes on edges, it can be fairly symetryc
count from the nearest non desert tile, when you are next to a desert tile, the temperature will be good, 2 away a bit hot
3 away from edge bit hot but still ok, 4 away too hot, especially with clothes 5-6-7-8 bad as ice

dont make a fire on desert, make 2 tiles away in every direction, than big fire will be good temperature, if you see staircase shape, a small fire can compliment some tiles so people with clothes can have options

2UjGbNm.png

dont make housing on desert
dont make walls next to a road
dont make fast roads next to berry
dont make fast roads between 2-3 buildings
dont make curvy fast roads, check ahead to see if any ponds or cactus is in the way of extending it further

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-10-01 14:35:26

InSpace

Your images are a bit unclear about what you want to explain with them, no offense

#6 2018-10-01 15:36:25

Tea

Please don't make a fast road next to any kind or farm ... berry, corn, carrot etc farm ... it's so unpractical.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#7 2018-10-01 17:16:56

Stylingirl

Signs are completely obsolete, even if you spent your whole life dedicated to making letters you still couldn't make more than one sign. Just write on paper and leave them to act as signs, they're quick to make, easy to move, replaceable, and hold more letters. There's no reason people should be making signs in the current meta.

#8 2018-10-01 18:04:08

Booklat1

Good to make a cistern near wells and some alongside roads, allows for quick transport of big amounts of water if ever needed. Also useful to remember people to reset the wells.

Last edited by Booklat1 (2018-10-01 18:04:44)

#9 2018-10-02 01:18:24

pein

InSpace wrote:

Your images are a bit unclear about what you want to explain with them, no offense

people just build generic road with random starting position then ends up fucking up the feng sui

when you see multiple ponds, imagine a straight road across all of them or at least a T junction

also dont build on middle of desert cause it needs to be square shape, then people in clothes eat 8 times more cause you needed a square shape, if building long lasting structures keep in mind long time effectiveness
a berry field in edge of the desert requires half maitenance than one in the colder biomes, sure, some people will just grab a bite then go, but all those talking babies benefit from standing on a desert tile rather than munching in a green biome
also pros know how to temp run from there

gotta make ingame screenshots if i dont forget, like before/after photos

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer