One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-28 23:56:26

Potjeh

Bring back lineage ban as baby

Because it sucks when you keep getting born to the same city when all you want is a starter camp run. I just lived a full life in a city, I don't want another.

#2 2018-09-29 00:10:19

UnnoticedShadow

Re: Bring back lineage ban as baby

People like you drive me crazy, baby suiciders. . .  They aren't punished enough for how annoying they are, and this is the least jason can do to pester them.

#3 2018-09-29 03:01:02

SomeRandomPerson

+1

I've had lives most of my babies have been suiciders, The mothers are also annoyed that you keep getting born to them.

Another alternative solution I've seen is to stab suicide babies. Not only is it satisfying but also provides the baby with a lineage ban. If your suiciding and someone is chasing you with a knife, let them stab you.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-09-29 03:06:39)

#4 2018-09-29 03:11:50

UnnoticedShadow

That works, but Jason should not be going out of his way in order to make it easier for babies to suicide.

#5 2018-09-29 03:14:55

Monolith_Rans

wow. not cool.

I love all of my children.  You are wanted and loved.

#6 2018-09-29 09:42:00

pein

give it a ban of 5 min

all i ever grief when i born back and see the asshole who doesnt feed me and i die like twice, third time i make them problems

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2018-09-29 10:03:19

Aurora Aurora

pein wrote:

give it a ban of 5 min

all i ever grief when i born back and see the asshole who doesnt feed me and i die like twice, third time i make them problems

Awwwww! Pein makes them probems <3

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#8 2018-09-29 20:45:01

Stylingirl

Like, what is so bad about living in towns? Yeah, I get why Eve camps are fun but do you not complain about three quarters of your babies suiciding because they want to be in towns? The only thing you're doing is contributing to the downfall of some other Eves lineage because you want to make your own kiln. If you want to be an Eve then go in an unpopulated server because I'm so tired of having nine kids and seven of them suicide.

#9 2018-09-29 21:38:45

MultiLife

Well, sometimes you do want to stay but starve by accident or by a careless mother, would suck to get a lineage ban like that. I do think that it is annoying how people are so picky that majority of your offspring just runs; if you are born to a town or a city, make a basket and go to wilderness. Nobody is stopping you from having a starter camp life. Travel far to start over or perhaps make a faraway neighbor town? Or as Stylingirl said, go to an unpopulated server if you need a break from towns and cities.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2018-09-29 21:43:21

Tarr
Banned

I think a minor lineage ban would be the best of both worlds. If you get one of the only bad mothers in a town or a horse mom you know you aren't getting sent to eve hell for an extended period of time. On the other hand it helps mothers from getting the same repeat suicide baby from popping up and just putting her on birth cooldown. Basically it allows people who don't want to stay an out and people who want in a second chance of coming back.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2018-09-29 22:16:09

Torston

to stop baby suicide maybe there should be a cool down before you can be reborn if you if you didn't make it to at least 2. like a minute or so i dont think it would completely stop people from running off as soon as there born, but i do think it would deter a decent portion if they had to wait.

#12 2018-09-29 22:37:53

UnnoticedShadow

On another note, why do we have lineage bans AT ALL?  (not including murder related) 

I mean, why can't a person re-spawn in there own camp in another life if they are lucky enough to be born there?  Can someone explain, because this seems so pointless I am unable to understand it.

#13 2018-09-30 08:17:18

MultiLife

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

On another note, why do we have lineage bans AT ALL?  (not including murder related) 

I mean, why can't a person re-spawn in there own camp in another life if they are lucky enough to be born there?  Can someone explain, because this seems so pointless I am unable to understand it.

I think people would become more selfish and not settle for anything else than the family they had in previous life. If you knew you can get right back to continue your library, you would spend as much time suiciding as it takes to get back and not stay to help other families in other conditions.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-09-30 08:17:49)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#14 2018-09-30 09:18:51

Dacen

MultiLife wrote:
UnnoticedShadow wrote:

I think people would become more selfish and not settle for anything else than the family they had in previous life. If you knew you can get right back to continue your library, you would spend as much time suiciding as it takes to get back and not stay to help other families in other conditions.

it is what happened in the past, and lineage ban decreased a lot baby suicides

#15 2018-09-30 09:26:04

pein

baby abandonment, not suicides, cause back then when you abandoned, they were out for 3 hours, 30-40 people then you had no kids

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2018-09-30 17:46:59

Stylingirl

Starving as a baby is different from quitting the moment you load in. If you don't want to play in a town then don't play on the server that has towns on it. The current lineage ban rules are meant to help baby boys that are abandoned because they are boys and gives them a chance to be born as girls into the town. I don't get why people hate Eve camps/big towns so much. It's a game and you have plenty to do in either circumstance so why refuse to be a part of either side?

#17 2018-09-30 17:50:12

Potjeh

If a town has cows it's pretty much finished the tech tree. I play the game for advancing the tech tree, pure maintenance is no fun whatsoever. I might consider other servers if using custom server settings didn't block updates, and there were any other people on those servers.

#18 2018-09-30 18:00:04

PeaGirl

What if instead of suiciding right away as baby, you grow up, and get tools for yourself and settle own small camp bit away from town/city? That way cities often expand, when people want their own peace and quiet elsewhere and this way they can accomplish this... especially with roads, which often can be used to part ways in other directions, you can simply make a camp there, as long as it is suitable... Good camping spots are pretty scarce when they are not near deserts.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#19 2018-09-30 18:00:23

Stylingirl

But there's so many things to do besides advancing the tech tree. You could dye clothes, make a bonsai, make a building, build roads, expand the town, organize the town, get a dog, make sure there's a bell tower, make a bearskin rug, make another horse with cart, make some antivenom, make a library, make a blue rose, make a cistern. I don't really understand why advancing in the tech tree is more important than advancing a lineage. You can just connect to an unpopulated server and enjoy Eve heaven.

#20 2018-09-30 18:02:47

Turnipseed

Stylingirl wrote:

But there's so many things to do besides advancing the tech tree. You could dye clothes, make a bonsai, make a building, build roads, expand the town, organize the town, get a dog, make sure there's a bell tower, make a bearskin rug, make another horse with cart, make some antivenom, make a library, make a blue rose, make a cistern. I don't really understand why advancing in the tech tree is more important than advancing a lineage. You can just connect to an unpopulated server and enjoy Eve heaven.

Every time i make a bonsai i am stabbed sad

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#21 2018-09-30 18:25:03

Potjeh

Because all that shit is useless. The great thing about this game is that you can be a hero and save your people, no other game does this so well. But you can't do that if your people don't need saving. Civilization is just too stable after sheep. The only threat is not getting any girl babies and griefers, and fighting griefers is cancer between bad combat system and bad information (which is likely to get you cursed when you finally manage to stab one). And branching off a family just decreases the baby pool for the main town, so it's being a villain rather than being a hero.

#22 2018-09-30 18:29:37

UnnoticedShadow

If you spawn in as a girl, a great thing to do is travel FARRR away (As Far As Possible) to a good base location, and build a base from scratch.  This migration splits you're lineage in two, meaning that if the Super Village dies out (which it will)  the lineage will still live on.

#23 2018-09-30 18:31:24

Potjeh

Not really, because both towns will share the same pool of viable babies. And it can be rather limited in older lineages.

#24 2018-09-30 19:41:26

UnnoticedShadow

But those two towns will be taking away from other towns, as there are probably more than that one town, and the overall baby count for that lineage will increase, and if village A does die out because of what you said, village B will still be there to live on.  Though lineage bans could be a problem, but that is a problem Jason needs to fix himself, perhaps making the lineage ban not from the lineage, but from the place they were at when they reached 30 years age.

#25 2018-09-30 20:41:30

Potjeh

Yeah, if the ban was location based then branching out would actually be a great strategy for prolonging your line.

Board footer