One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-26 05:31:22

helloworld

Immigration (new concept)

Hello Hello. Today males are crap compare to female. I believe this will fix it in a very cool way.

---Immigration---

Every male has chance of bringing a (single) Female (immigration) to the family.

The immigrated (female) is same age as Eve starting age.

The newly spawn player can name themselve. (but will hold the males family last name) (and their lineage)

*this makes male much more viable, and even better under certain circumstance (since you get a fully adult spawn compare to baby).

But of course u only get one female immigration so if they die RIP.

Let me know what you think. comment below see ya

#2 2018-09-26 05:50:43

VioletLily

Re: Immigration (new concept)

Hmm... Not sure I like the idea... I don't see it fitting into the feel of the game. It feels a little too magical to me. We already have immigrants in towns already- Both
Eve spawns and people running to the bell. (Not that eve spawns are entirely realistic, but they are a required game mechanic)

Also, why do people hate males so much? I understand it can be frustrating when you need a girl and keep getting boys, but they are the most productive members of OHOL society. I would take a male-majority town over a female-majority town any day. As long as there are a couple of fertile girls, any settlement would greatly benefit from being almost all male.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-26 05:53:21)

#3 2018-09-26 05:52:53

helloworld

Because you can survive with all female, While all male will not be able to survive.
simple really Female > Male in current meta

And you think baby popping out of female (with no male isn't magical)

please lets not talk about "magical" cause everything is magical in this game.

Last edited by helloworld (2018-09-26 05:54:35)

#4 2018-09-26 06:11:43

VioletLily

helloworld wrote:

Because you can survive with all female, While all male will not be able to survive.
simple really Female > Male in current meta

It is very difficult to make an all-female population work. Look at the ginger-pocolypse. Almost every town was overpopulated. That being said, it is completely impossible to make an all-male population work, which I guess is what you are trying to fix?

Going into a little more detail than before, there are two things I see wrong with this:

1) Family Dynamics: One of the things in this game most celebrated by Jason in advertisements is the idea of family. The 'Here you are a helpless baby completely dependent on a stranger for survival' thing. It creates a bond between players. Making it possible for adults to be born into families would weaken this.

2) Population: While I understand you want to make it possible for girls to be born into lines where they would otherwise die out, try thinking of the flip-side: girls being spawned into populations where they are entirely unneeded. Every female immigrant is another fertile woman ready to give birth on the spot. This would be like the ginger-pocolypse all over again. You can starve a baby if the population problems are too extreme. How do you starve an adult? You can't. You can kill them though - and people would. Murder would become a lot more common. I'm not sure more murder is what I want from this game.

Edit: you edited your post while I was writing this one. I don't believe females giving birth without a male isn't magical. I believe it is a required game mechanic. I don't believe adults being born to males would be. We already have things in place to help cities live on in the case of lineages ending, which I mentioned in my first post. I can just see this suggestion causing some problems. I'm really not trying to offend you, just trying to bring in some constructive criticism. Admittedly, I could have done this better in my first post. I posted that before my thoughts had fully formed, which was a mistake on my part. Sorry

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-26 06:32:07)

#5 2018-09-26 07:01:05

helloworld

Your missing the point. I say immigration, But really is a male finding a wife (which is part of creating a family). While also solving a problem of males being helpless to situation like no female girls being born (or all males).

But, i think what ur trying to say is "parenting" which is advertised by Jason (not family).

Population control is not very good argument against this idea. cause a single female can give birth to infinite amount of kids (as far as im aware of). So having a lot of female doesn't change overpopulation.

The few dynamic change this will bring is

1: less parenting due to more % of (adult spawn)
2: Male becoming more useful to survival of lineage (no more "sorry need girl comment", or "come back as girl")

Honesty is just a concept, But your opinions are not criticism -_- (cause your argument has nothing to do with the point, I'm bringing up).

#6 2018-09-26 07:29:45

VioletLily

helloworld wrote:

Your missing the point. I say immigration, But really is a male finding a wife (which is part of creating a family). While also solving a problem of males being helpless to situation like no female girls being born (or all males).

But, i think what ur trying to say is "parenting" which is advertised by Jason (not family).

Population control is not very good argument against this idea. cause a single female can give birth to infinite amount of kids (as far as im aware of). So having a lot of female doesn't change overpopulation.

The few dynamic change this will bring is

1: less parenting due to more % of (adult spawn)
2: Male becoming more useful to survival of lineage (no more "sorry need girl comment", or "come back as girl")

Honesty is just a concept, But your opinions are not criticism -_- (cause your argument has nothing to do with the point, I'm bringing up).

It didn't occur to me that the immigrant was supposed to be a wife. I guess that makes more sense.

As for population, I still have to disagree. The issue isn't that woman can have an infinite number of children, it is that a child can only have one mother. By making males able to spawn in players, you are essentially adding more 'mothers' to the game. The more 'mothers' a town has, the more likely that a player will spawn there rather than somewhere else. This means that players will be even more likely to spawn into towns than to eves. Now, I am unsure of the exact consequences of this, as I haven't looked at the code myself, but I am pretty sure this will make the population of towns increase far more exponentially than they already do.

#7 2018-09-26 10:38:17

Lum

A woman popping out a baby makes sense. You can assume all sorts of things from it. A man bringing a woman to camp makes no sense. Why would that happen? It's not intuitive and logical, especially if only males have this strange ability.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#8 2018-09-26 11:31:53

pein

it should cost something and you could only do it for 3 minutes between 14-17

so if your last kid is a son, he could stay alive until 14 and summon an eve for himself
now it would cost resources, same as apocalipse, maybe would require a totem made of boards, rope, iron then some other requirements like food and would get destroyed in process
now i think most eves would be happy to be summoned into a city but maybe should be an option to give people in menu an option to be a summoned eve

now to not make this too op, summoned eves could only be players under 100 hours played people so newbies
but at this point people would force feed her 26 minutes xD
also low curse points
to not go in big towns and kill them, i mean you would only need to kill yourself at this situations but still
also would appear randomly to a few people online so people wont be able to time it with discord friends

to not leave veterans out they could spawn as summoned adam, a 14 year old male
basically when you got mostly noobs, bring in a veteran to help the city

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2018-09-26 11:54:10

Aurora Aurora

pein wrote:

to not leave veterans out they could spawn as summoned adam, a 14 year old male
basically when you got mostly noobs, bring in a veteran to help the city

I like this

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#10 2018-09-26 17:54:14

WalrusesConquer

I just assumed if it ever happened martige would involve a rose of note of some sort..
This seems pretty neat as well

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#11 2018-09-26 18:41:44

Booklat1

Honestly, can't we strive to do that through town bells?  this does sound kind of magical.

I like the idea of families moving around as much as anyone but i don't think this is the way. We could just buff wild resources a bit (seals and game being able to be cooked on a fire for example) and give reasons for people to travel long distances, maybe for rare resources.

we can also get better tech to move around, like charriots (and horse breeding)

Last edited by Booklat1 (2018-09-26 18:42:03)

#12 2018-09-27 06:32:15

helloworld

heh Honesty It was just a thought I had as I walked out of my shower. I would much rather have leaf wall or something

Last edited by helloworld (2018-09-27 06:32:42)

#13 2018-09-27 14:44:45

Russames

Idea, maybe a wife system with actual immigration. A male can leave his town to find a female of another family and request she take his family name, if she accepts and is fertile her birthrate will be boosted along with a slight boost in chance for female offspring

Last edited by Russames (2018-09-27 14:45:37)

#14 2018-09-27 15:10:45

Potjeh

If the endgoal is getting babies to save the lineage, why not just cabbage babies?

Board footer