You are not logged in.

#26 2018-09-26 08:58:15

gabal

Re: New sheep pen meta

I love the con of uncle grave pen - probably haunted big_smile

#27 2018-09-26 11:34:18

pein

check my other topic, actually you can make adobe base pen then plant the berry field/stew plants around it on the go and get back the adobe, increasing its size from 3x3 to 5x5 free tiles

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4006

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#28 2018-09-26 19:33:43

Turnipseed

pein wrote:

check my other topic, actually you can make adobe base pen then plant the berry field/stew plants around it on the go and get back the adobe, increasing its size from 3x3 to 5x5 free tiles

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4006

Love it. Its so beautiful. This is the future

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#29 2018-09-27 09:03:26

gabal

How about planting trees on north and east sides? Would that work?

#30 2018-09-27 09:11:34

Tarr
Banned

Trees will get chopped down and stumps eventually despawn. Basically make an adobe pen and upgrade it how you see fit.

fug it’s Tarr.

#31 2018-09-27 09:13:25

gabal

What are ungriefable options? Boxes and uncle graves only?

#32 2018-09-27 09:17:41

Tarr
Banned

Every option can be griefed in one way or another. Uncles are good if you never want to change the pen design. I believe the best design is something with a few permanent sides and one or two adjustables in case you need/want to change stuff around.

fug it’s Tarr.

#33 2018-09-27 14:29:48

pein

everything is griefable, the general rule that a griefer doesnt want to spend more time ruining it, than you made it
sure pit pens were griefeable if not fixed down, now all it took is to drop 1 item in each, so the shovel didnt bury the holes
the griefer/noobs had to throw 19 more to fill it and it opened

they can grief it by removing tiles, so unremovable tiles  are bad if the constructor sucks at it but generally better
when is unremovable, they can try to block the entrance

how to make less griefeable?
the things we use for corner tiles, like filled pit (i guess it rolls out now), berry bush, you can go trough it, but animals cant stand on, hence cant change direction on it. this are the tiles which can be blocked by blocking all tiles around them
for corner entrance is 4 tiles outside, and 1 inside- planting 2 extra bushes next to it they need 8 extra walls outside, for 1 bush inside they need 3 inside
for front entrance is is 2 outside 1 inside by default , for planting 2 bushes outside, they need 9 outside and for 1 extra inside they need 3 inside, but this wont take away from the pen size if its outside of it
for half corner entrance they need 1 outside or 2 inside by default, planting 1 bushes outside increases to 4 walls needed to block outside, and 1 inside increases to 3 needed inside

so by making less griefable, you make it more work heavy and a bit less effective

now we dealing with other walls, need to mention how to make noob proof
first of all noobs gonna shear the sheep in top corners under them, this will esentially kills  them if no exit on that corner and no storage for the shears, top corners should have a box near them, generally they deserve their fate, some one else can save them by removing fleece

they will block the doorway shearing sheep and they dont realize that sheered sheep blocks the movement
sometimes somebody from outside can tell them to swap for a dead lamb and put in the backpack or apron or press against the wall or something (now that i think about sheep can be a teleport activator xD), but if they are alone they might stress over it and die, now this cannot be open from outside, if its the only entrance
sometimes a lamb will despawn creating a free tile, sometimes it will leave its mother and remove a free tile
two options are here: you can build a teleport next to the pen (now it needs complete enclosure so a door or grave), throw a kid inside who picks up the fleece, and opens it
or make another entrance, chances are they wont shear two sheeps in the doorways, if they do they really deserve to die, but also blocks others out, so again you need to make a teleport, and so on, i think two entrances are enough but maybe three
so its a flaw of design having only one entrance

if you got a wall that can be removed this case, like a box (put a sledge, drag out, and replace with a new one)or adobe oven, half adobe wall, water it, go in, smash back in, or a grave which functions as a back door
but this easy entrances are also bad, cause griefers will go for them to release sheep
the teleport is a decent solution, throwing things inside like food or tools, or throwing things out like mutton meat. now is two man job to operate a mutton thrower as you need to enclose yourself each time, and have storage like grave or chest near you

the adobe base
happened to me already, someone wants to water a bush near the adobe base, and waters the adobe, by miss-clicking, now a noob wont realize what had done and leaves it that way, and sheep will go out , the fix is easy, smash back the adobe, but is better to not have plants next to it, or have 4 plants behind the wall (if the noob wont take the adobe away to make a new oven), but in that case 5 plants make the wall unnecessary on that spot(3 directions)

stone wall is griefable with a pickaxe, also destroys the pickaxe
i seen a noob enclose herself with a cow, by picking up a stone, going in an 1x2 room and putting it on stakes big_smile

fences near the fast road also suck because of this, i miss-clicked myself, you run fast with a shovel to get dung, and you dont see a tile to go, left or right click on a fence will remove it, now you need stakes, shovel, to fix it and an empty space to put down the thing you hold (if somebody else clicked it)
so no fast lanes near pen entrance cause that prevents the easy penetration tongue
at least put a wooden tile on it, i dont like the whole concept of having unremovable fast lines inside the city, they should connect point A to point B when nothing important is inside it

also i seen people throwing the dung down and picking back up with shovel, i was breaking shovel with dung so you should put in a box or swap with an item on ground having the dung on it(not so sure cause seen people throwing it up and down without breaking shovel), so pen wall should have a chest in it and composting area as well, also multiple shovels so people wont have to toss it down to use for something else
btw pen making and composting is priority
well making also important but its one click, to bury graves make your own shovel and dont bury random bones if the city has no iron left

now the other is time
pit pens are fast to make so with time we got to a point that people can make huge ones, i think i done a 13x13 once and didnt took a lifetime, having 3-4 stakes and a few pies at me
then you had to get sheep, cause maybe no one will get one even if you got a pen for it
the correct decision is settle with a smaller one to be able to get the muflon inside it
i seen people leaving a pen unfinished and was too big

after a while i settled on a 9x9 with 3-4 front entrances, thats 7x7+4 inside 53 is a decent size, each sheep needs 4 plates or 2.33 baskets or 1.25 chest or 4 graves, to store the meat and bones, you will have a dead lamb and an alive lamb, and sheep with no lamb, a few dungs, bones, so the actual sheep which can be sheered, is like half of the pen size, also i seen people hiding shears without feeding any or having no shears, a full set of clothes is 12 fleece, 1 supposed to be unsheared at all times (or dont kill the damn muflon, seriously) and possibly 1-2 more for pads and needle+yarn, so if the pen isnt cleaned, around 25 tiles are really necessary
i generally dont shear any until the pen is full, then shear all except one, kill all of the sheared ones and hopefull the bakers take care of it

now  you can have a small finished pen under a life (when i tried my first grave pen, having the sapling farm and the compost prepared) i could fix down a 5x5 pen with U letters, but alone you cannot finish it, and its too small for a city
so you either make it extendable/portable  and get the compost going, worry about griefers later or get help and make it bigger and finish it under a life

the placement is pretty important, i dont think it has to be on desert, a shepperd will be fully clothed as this is high tech, so a noob wont do it full time, also noobs got nothing to do there and having it colder it will dis-encourage them from entering, or they need to turn back to eat
but, long term you are better off with an oven next to the pen so it will cut down the meat transporting process, if 3 bakers would work full time then they could keep up with me  while i feed, shear, kill sheep and make compost tongue

so generally i would advise to make the pen:
close to the city but not on middle
close to the berry farm or plant a new one
close to water but not on desert, and dont take away good farming spots
close to a desert where an oven can be built
on the edge, where is plenty of space and useless ice/badland where you can dump the bones and maybe the meat
also if we use fences vertically, and chests horizontally, probably the oven should be north or south to it, so keep in mind to space it out so the oven will be on the desert edge
not too far from city so people can find it, but not too close so kids wont wonder there all the time
not near the road, space it out from each other, just like real life highways got parking spots, people realize they are hungry and cant put down items near the road they might die

now you want entrance next to oven, next to berry farm, and maybe third side next to composting area, so wheat and carrot (generally bad to have carrot in middle of the city)
4th side will be next to an ice biome for example, where you put the bones, this side can be unfixed allowing extension with the growing populaton

grave pens are very noob proof once they are built (when you build it, noobs gonna put bones inside it and if it has no shape yet, they might even move stones on it), you can put shears, lamb and meat on the wall so one entrance is generally enough, now plant 4 berry bushes in it Y shape in A shape door and they cannot block too easy, maybe 2 entrances and have it on the corner of city (i mostly built grave pens in non desert cities next to badland/desert, a lot of bones and flat rock early on) and if a desert or badland has no water that side than is ideal to put the back side there, nowadays people make road from tortilla stations, smith rock, omlette rock and from your mothers grave

adobe pens are ideal on huge swamps where you cut reed and dig the stumps, i done a few times but generally hard to find enough for 5x5

rose pens are hard to build, huge savanna with 15-20 rose seeds and an ice biome edge with 2 snow banks speeds up the process, if you gonna harvest all the roses and water it to get a seed every time, it will take a lifetime for 2 people, still 2 entrances and one side made of graves or adobe to allow extending it, roses dont hold items, neither stone or adobe wall, shearing sheep in doorway can be deadly

based on size
3x3 uses 16 walls with one entrance
3x4 uses 18
4x4 uses 20
5x5 uses 24
5x6 uses 26
6x6 uses 28

not sure why but 2x10 uses more walls than 5x4,  seems like square shapes are more effective
also if bigger, uses more resources, but gives more free tiles per walls, the magic number is 3x4 in size, if you kill 11/12 sheep, you can store 11 sheep in 11 chests and 11 bones in extra 3 chests, but you can give pie crusts inside and than each chest can hold 12 crust which is 3 sheeps meat and 1 more chest holds their bones

front entrances require 3 extra walls and look better if its an odd number (center piece gets into center equal distance from corners)

actually i always make 2 kilns spaced out for faster coal, a chest behind, a bush in middle and one more chest in front would be ok if the rest of the smith area is big enough, store hammer, stone and 2 adobe in it, and have another entrance with 2 chests and one oven to the other side, wall it off and have the berry in sides

pro players wont complain its too big, generally the ones who never work with it complain
generally is better to produce en mass and do the same thing over and over, than switch jobs like take out 4 meat and one bone, take out lambs, shear one and kill one, feed one and compost one. shear all and kill all, make plates and cook all, clean out and start again

now with no pits the pens will be smaller originally
but with no half filled pits we can re-arange them, maybe have multiple of them

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#34 2018-09-30 11:17:24

pein

we forgot one type:

if your goal is making the pen asap and get compost going
the very best is stump pen!
you got stumps in the swamp, the first thing people cut is in swamp, cactus, ponds and stumps act as a wall, so you get less tiles to block

today i had a run where i only had to fill 5-6 tiles with graves to make a pen
while they dug the stumps before i could tell them and later they dug some more and we had to replace, so you need to inform people you gonna use stumps as wall
they disappear in 1 hour, but thats enough time to gather flat rocks or whatever you wanna make the pen, the important part is you got dung and start composting in half an hour maybe

#35 2018-09-30 11:25:43

Abcd
Banned

Just saying, I can destroy Oven pens with ease without being caught most of the time.

Grab a bucket, bowl and a stone. Make a big hole and turn the above into kilns nearby. It's especially effective in a city deprived of resources, They won't be able to fix it in time.

Uncle Graves a bit more secure but one can grief by blocking them. Be a kid and shear sheep's in the entrances.

#36 2018-09-30 11:40:48

pein

you can teleport a kid inside and unblocks it, also good luck with blocking when bushes are there
especially wild bush is unmovable, and lazy asses like you wont block 5 tiles or more

have fun with it, if i catch you you will be forever in donkey land then you can grief yourself

#37 2018-09-30 14:20:00

Abcd
Banned

pein wrote:

you can teleport a kid inside and unblocks it, also good luck with blocking when bushes are there
especially wild bush is unmovable, and lazy asses like you wont block 5 tiles or more

have fun with it, if i catch you you will be forever in donkey land then you can grief yourself

Or I can just kill all the sheep inside so the pen is irrelevant. Plus 99% of towns have crappy Ez Oven base pens anyway.

And most people don't know about the teleport glitch so it's improbable that it gets fixed that quickly.

#38 2018-09-30 16:13:12

FeverDog

So, when I enclose cows using a regular fence, how to create a gate?  I tried a bush at the entrance but it didn't work.  Had to just complete the fence in the end just before I died.

#39 2018-09-30 16:59:31

pein

oxo xxx
xcx xox
xox xcx
xxx oxo

o-open
x-wall
c-corner item- bush, hardened row, stack of firewood, home marker
technically you can plant corn there instead of berry bush, as long as no one planting milkweed/wheat or carrot(seeding) wont be an issue, only that corn covers the cow if you put it under it

it needs one tile only and the bush so it can be open to players but the cow cant step on the bush/corn so cant pass trough it
you only need one cow same place and you need to wait the cow to lose the calf, to allow milking, also this prevents others from feeding the calf and filling the city with it. you dont need to take the bison inside the pen, you can feed outside, once the calf spawns, will follow you anywhere so you can lure him in as long as you got free tiles, so dont put the bush first, just put something you can store in pack, like an empty bowl, once the cow is in, get 2 bowl of soil, swap the placeholder item and dump it fast, if moves on you, move back to back of the pen and dump the soil in front of it, this prevents getting out cause its an item, but to be sure till it, and place the corn/berry seed in it

a cost effective method is to build this small pen using the sheep pen wall on one side, this saves you 3 walls, you will only need 5 then

the other day we had a bison and 2 cows in the pen, i let the bison and one cow free, was made of adobe, i made a new pen, lured the cow to the corner, watered the adobe, once the cow was in position i hit on the adobe with a stone so was walled off

you need a wall on the other side of the bush, but not diagonal to it, so you can go inside

i havent tested how many tiles a cow can move, they follow you regardless of having calf or not i think, but they not make calfs without feeding them first, so its easier to control than sheep
they step one at a time toward the closest person, you can ask a kid to keep it in place
i would say they can skip over 3 tiles? had the same feeling with sheep but turned out to be 5 tiles so not sure, gonna test it
lets say 5 tiles, so if you got a free tile the cow stands on, you can block his movement with 5 items on the ground, which can be plants or anything, or just hardened row in 8 directions from that tile, or a wall, so if you wall it off 7 directions, 5 bushes gonna stop going out

now that i think about, i really need to test it, cause if its 3 or 4 only, than next time i see a huge berry field, i gonna dig a bush out and stick a cow in the middle of it

#40 2018-09-30 17:32:10

pein

Abcd wrote:
pein wrote:

Or I can just kill all the sheep inside so the pen is irrelevant. Plus 99% of towns have crappy Ez Oven base pens anyway.

And most people don't know about the teleport glitch so it's improbable that it gets fixed that quickly.

gonna be a muflon somewhere you dont see, i generally just take a lamb out somewhere bit further and feed it, in case of sheep killers
sheared sheep stays inside the biome so if its a small biome i can store sheared sheep there for reserve
actually the teleport is same as the front entrance i use, just now it needs complete enclosure also a kid between 3-5 so can be picked up and smart enough to understand what to do, the biggest issue is free tile inside pen and predicting where it gonna be, but generally  lambs decay fast if not fully packed pen, or if its is packed with sheep, is packed with people too

it takes 5 extra walls, 1 should be a grave/door inside wall and one to outside teleport, and even block if its open
xxxgxxx
ooxcxoo
oogxxoo
x-pen wall
g-door or grave
c-corner item
this can be open and sheep wont go out
makes no sense making one beforehand (other than mutton throwing, this case needs a bit bigger with chest walls) cause might as well make another entrance, so if make afterwards 3adobe-2 graves or 5 graves are good enough, you wont fix them and its an emergency so forge stones can be borrowed

and if you block from inside you die inside
best is a locked door inside wall for this situation (not only door just as  reserve), and 2-3 entrances at least

#41 2018-10-01 05:34:23

FeverDog

PEIN:

Here's what I did:
  oxoxo
  oxcxo
xxoooxx
xooooox
xooooox
xooooox
xxxxxxx

with the c being a berry bush.   The cow walked over the bush multiple times.

#42 2018-10-01 06:02:13

pein

that has 3 open sides

if wanna fix it you need 3 walls, also is too big

oooxooo
ooxcxoo
xxxoxxx
xooooox
would work
also

xooxoox
ocxcxco
xxoooxx
xooooox

as i said it need 5 bushes (maybe 3 or for for cow) but until i havent tested i think 5 is for sure, dont forget diagonals either
thats quite big to block one tile with bushes

ocooocoooco
oocoocoocoo
ooocococooo
oooocccoooo
xxxxxcxxxxx

Last edited by pein (2018-10-01 08:44:52)

#43 2018-10-01 08:22:58

FeverDog

Man I am not following your diagrams...  (1) How does the below not have open sides?

oooxooo
ooxcxoo
xxxoxxx
xooooox

(2) Or is the "..." meant to mean "the same but opposite symmetrically?"

(3) Also, could you explain the importance of diagonals?

I'm starting to understand...

Three last questions:

(4) is this architecture changing in an update soon?
(5) Do these work for sheep (probably more important)
(6) Can your diagrams be done with fences (two long shafts, adze, etc.)?

Last edited by FeverDog (2018-10-01 08:23:48)

#44 2018-10-01 08:43:57

pein

... meant that the rest of the pen, i generally just draw how is attached to first wall

if you been to giant fence city where it was a bakery/forge in the room and a fence near it above the berry field, they used berry to block the exit in front, i removed one extra fence cause was unnecessary on that setup

when we spawned as a trio, mirelli and pharo digged a few bushes out, , they forgot to block it diagonally after this and the sheep could got out by that spot on the field diagonally so i had to block above the road because of that with adobe, hard to see diagonally, you need 5 bushes diagonal and thats kinda huge

any free tile inside the pen is a starting point, any starting point needs to be blocked either by a wall or 5 bushes
placing a bush blocks starting points but they doesnt stop skipping trough them unless there is a wall or 4 more bushes
we use 1 bush and 1 wall generally as corner entrance, this is cheapest, but kinda griefeable from inside
my ''shuriken'' entrance uses 1 extra wall so 2 wall 1 bush but wont go outside the line also i think its a bit better looking

ooooooooxx
xxxxxxxxcx
xoooooooox
xoooooooox
xoooooooox
xxxxxxxxxx

it wont change, this is the same from start, animals cant step on items and cant change direction
the only exception seems to be wild horse which can get out of a pen if its on a desert, cause the coding says they need to stay on the desert

different animals got different behaviour
cow, sheep without lamb, domestic ones aggro on you, even bear
goose, sheared sheep, wolf,snake ignores you, if it kills you it means you stepped on the wrong spot
boar, sheep with lamb runs away from you

if an animal cant exit a pen, cant enter it either
yes they work for sheep, they cant step on items and cant change direction while moving and they can skip over 4 items but not 5

i signal it x-wall, this can be any wall, a cactus, a pond, a stump(all stumps decay), rose, grave, fixed grave, fence, oven, adobe half or full walls, stone, box, chest, bell tower. i think thats all, anything thats blocking movement of the player, its a bonus if its unremovable

so when i see 3 cacti/ponds in this shape
oxo
xox
i always think- thats an entrance for my pen

#45 2018-10-01 09:25:46

FeverDog

"any free tile inside the pen is a starting point, any starting point needs to be blocked either by a wall or 5 bushes"

Ahh......   Got it.  that explains the cow crossing the bush into an open space after it.  If I had put something to block it behind the bush it wouldn't have gone.

#46 2018-10-01 09:37:59

pein

now all i want to stick a cow into the middle of a huge berry field big_smile

Board footer