One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-25 16:34:56

Dodge

Sheep pen/trash pit, counter intuitive for new players

Right now 99% of sheep pens are made of trash pit, besides the fact that it's ugly,  it's also a major confusing factor for new players and with the steam release coming soon ( and lots of new players coming fingers crossed)

A lot of new players will be yelled at for doing what they are supposed to be doing ( putting dead lambs in trash pit, wich fills the pit and let the lambs and sheeps escape) because they pick up dead lamb and see trash pit in the tooltip so obviously it makes sense

Easy solution would be to stop doing sheep pen trash pit but let's be honest it wont happen because it's so easy to make and fences are too easily griefable

So unless the trash pit doesnt get nerfed (doesnt act as wall anymore or something else) and fences dont get buffed ( maybe needing water before shoveling like the gooseberry bush or wathever else), trash pit pen will still be the majority of sheep pens and new players will get yelled at for doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Also would be nice to see the filled trash pit hole despawn after some time

Last edited by Dodge (2018-09-25 16:36:04)

#2 2018-09-25 16:44:27

FounderOne

Re: Sheep pen/trash pit, counter intuitive for new players

Good thought.

Also fences get often griefer bcs people just need fast a straight Branche for whatever, then the Branche disappears in town and the Branche for the fence is missing forever.

So I would suggest to make fences solide and add a gate to the game where people can pass, but animals will stay inside. Only way to get an animal into the pen would be to put it on a lasso and go with it in the pen.

Removing the fence would be a two man project, maybe one uses the shovel and the other person pulls it out of the ground.

Also rails should get a fix before release.

Its a rought world - keep dying untill you live <3

#3 2018-09-25 16:54:30

betame

While I'd like to see the addition of gates, any blocking tile should still work as a gate.

An alternative to greifable wooden fences could be wired ones, if you can make a pile of 5+ wire then string them to poles.

Morality is the interpretation of what is best for the well-being of humankind.
List of Guides | Resources per Food | Yum? | Temperature | Crafting Info: https://onetech.info

#4 2018-09-25 19:55:15

voy178

Dodge wrote:

Also would be nice to see the filled trash pit hole despawn after some time

I think that's the winner. It would create some kind of incitement to do a more permanent structure than trash pits.

Maybe we could go a step further and add a looooong timer on the unfilled trash pits as well? Like 10 hours and then they "decay".

#5 2018-09-25 19:59:31

UnnoticedShadow

Sheep pens and bowled berries (yum bonus) really need to be fixed though, as I feel that if they don't OHOL could turn into a game of exploitations, just like don't starve:(  and tear apart the structure of the game.

#6 2018-09-25 20:17:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I guess making trash pits despawn in general would fix this problem.  Dig one if you've got some trash to get rid of.  Don't use it as a wall.

#7 2018-09-25 20:24:09

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Done.  Change will go live this week.

Funny how long it takes me to come up with a simple solution to a problem.  I get trapped by old assumptions and cannot see the obvious.

#8 2018-09-25 23:11:59

Auner

jasonrohrer wrote:

Done.  Change will go live this week.

Funny how long it takes me to come up with a simple solution to a problem.  I get trapped by old assumptions and cannot see the obvious.

honestly, your in a position where you need an entire team of people to help you. Despite this, you've done a very good job. You think things through but don't over-think it.  A lot of creators want things perfectly thought out-- those overthinks aren't necessarily going to be play-able, tho.

So yes, I really admire your problem solving abilities and I do hope some company recognizes that and you are compensated appropriately. However the processes happens, you're doing good.

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#9 2018-09-25 23:57:09

pein

yay we get wet fences big_smile cool

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer