Collie - sheep
German Shepard - sheep
Poodle - geese
Airedale - cattle
Pit Bull - bear
Chihuahua - watchdog
Schnauzer - watchdog

Each breed should interact with their respective specialty animals:

rabbit = hunt rabbit family holes and bring back a rabbit to a rabbit marker.
sheep = herd sheep to a sheep marker
geese = herd geese to a goose marker
cattle = herd cows to a cattle marker
bear = scares a bear back into its cave
watchdog = barks at murderers and follows them barking until the slow down has worn off. Watchdogs should also bark at mean pitbulls setting them back to being a normal pitbull. This way watchdogs also act as a sort of pitbull insurance.

Herding and hunting should happen if a marker is set. An item like the "open fence" with the bones of the animal between the posts could act as a marker for that type of animal. A rabbit hunter would bring back rabbits and drop them on the closest free space to the marker. Herders would scare the furthest domestic animals towards the marker.

The reason I don't bother with hunting bison is because by the time you have domestic dogs you must have domestic sheep for the wolf and domestic pigs for the carnitas to feed the puppies. This is very far up the tech tree so chances are a town already has domestic cows by then.

Any other ideas?
I thought it would be nice to have poodles retrieve goose eggs, since ponds are converted to wells by the time dogs are around.
Or have them dig a big hole that becomes a new pond? Now that would be useful!

#2 2018-09-24 15:49:10

Berry_Bee

Re: A Dog's Purpose

I think this is a great idea! One thing I dislike about animal farming is how much of a clusterfuck it creates. Having a marker where dogs will keep animals in a specific radius would make things so much easier. I might be a bit biased because I've died to not being able to escape a sheep pen because there was just too much junk around!

#3 2018-09-24 15:52:59

Dodge

The dog follows the person who fed it carnitas

One race of dog could bring (spawn) a random object every 5-20 minutes, it could be a common ,useful, rare or even a unique object only obtainable trough dogs

Pit bull could protect you from one wound by taking it, but they could also attack you if they are aggressive so double edged sword

#4 2018-09-24 23:37:22

pein

dogs should dig little holes, and you could bury bones in them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#5 2018-09-25 01:15:55

SomeRandomPerson

I kinda wish they would agro on murderers maybe within a certain of range of course. Then you could create neutral zones to deter murder in towns.

#6 2018-09-25 20:27:13

Rohen

SomeRandomPerson wrote:

I kinda wish they would agro on murderers maybe within a certain of range of course. Then you could create neutral zones to deter murder in towns.

Other kind of greifing would go unpunished tho, as you wouldn't be able to kill anyone.

Board footer