One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-24 06:17:49

helloworld

Can we change recipe for pine panel?

Its so expensive to make is crazy. I think pine panel should be the easiest to make and last the shortest amount of time. Like tier 1 wall.

Currently -- 4 long shaft + 5 rope + 1 pine needle (crazy expensive)

New Recipe -- 2 Long shaft + 1 pine needle (Cheap tier 1 wall, for early homes for people)

vote here
https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … ine_panel/

Last edited by helloworld (2018-09-24 06:46:15)

#2 2018-09-24 07:12:02

boggers

Re: Can we change recipe for pine panel?

+1

20 milkweed for a single panel is crazy. That's a broken steel hoe on average every 5 wall tiles if you use double dirt. Contrast with zero steel cost of adobe, or 50 stone walls per chisel.

If you've seen that primitive technology guy on youtube, or any of the Indonesian clone channels which tend to do a lot more with wood, they use vines rather than rope.

That said, adobe and stone should probably be harder to make than they are. Adobe could require a similar wood frame to pine needles, or even take pine panels as the substrate and upgrade it to adobe.

Dry masonry is insanely difficult, stone walls should probably require a bucket of mortar - we have the lime already.

#3 2018-09-24 08:01:26

Booklat1

boggers wrote:

+1

20 milkweed for a single panel is crazy. That's a broken steel hoe on average every 5 wall tiles if you use double dirt. Contrast with zero steel cost of adobe, or 50 stone walls per chisel.

If you've seen that primitive technology guy on youtube, or any of the Indonesian clone channels which tend to do a lot more with wood, they use vines rather than rope.

That said, adobe and stone should probably be harder to make than they are. Adobe could require a similar wood frame to pine needles, or even take pine panels as the substrate and upgrade it to adobe.

Dry masonry is insanely difficult, stone walls should probably require a bucket of mortar - we have the lime already.

Maybe it could be done by either rope or vine in the game. Would be a good thing if swamps (or a new biome) had vines, so with a big enough grassland and swamp you could make somewhat easy housing.

I like the overall point of this post a lot. A lot of tech in the game could use some rebalancing or fixing.

#4 2018-09-24 09:06:13

TrustyWay

This isn't a new suggestion, the only time I saw a pine house was during the +200 gens run

#5 2018-09-24 09:32:55

MultiLife

Wow, I saw some pine structures in one life, I thought they were a new addition. :'D
That's ridiculous though, crazy costly. I hope masonry becomes better and like an actual profession in the near future.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#6 2018-09-24 15:35:24

Turnipseed

+1  wasent as bad when milkweed regrew on its own, but they are prohibitively expensive now

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2018-09-24 16:29:27

Booklat1

if rope making was buffed this could also stop being an issue, I don't know how that could be done though

#8 2018-09-24 17:19:54

ShadouFireborn

Bean plants could have a byproduct of a Vine left behind after all the beans are picked. Braided vines can make a sturdy enough rope. So, maybe have 3 vines in a pile, use hand to make vine rope? And since vine rope has a fairly limited time before it hardens in place, you could need to use it fairly quickly before it becomes "hardened vine rope" and becomes useless, except to chop up into kindling.

One person can easily destroy what has taken dozens of people to build. And they don't see anything wrong with it. They like to do it even. They fiercely defend their right to destroy. They'll do whatever it takes to get around any measures in place to prevent them from doing so.

What we do when there are no real consequences to our actions makes a rather sad statement about human nature.

#9 2018-09-24 17:36:02

Anshin

ShadouFireborn wrote:

Bean plants could have a byproduct of a Vine left behind after all the beans are picked. Braided vines can make a sturdy enough rope. So, maybe have 3 vines in a pile, use hand to make vine rope? And since vine rope has a fairly limited time before it hardens in place, you could need to use it fairly quickly before it becomes "hardened vine rope" and becomes useless, except to chop up into kindling.

I like this very much. Except one vine per wooden frame segment. The hardened vine is a great idea to give the whole thing some urgency. +1

#10 2018-09-24 21:08:08

BladeWoods

Pine is expensive, but it has a plus side. It's the only sustainable source of late game walls/doors. Adobe breaks down (just stupid) and stone is limited. But rope is growable.

#11 2018-09-24 21:20:57

UnnoticedShadow

+1, though boulders should be able to be regained, or carried in a horse cart.

#12 2018-09-24 22:16:09

boggers

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

+1, though boulders should be able to be regained, or carried in a horse cart.

You can cut boulders in half with chisel and load them four halves to a cart. There is no slowdown when carting two boulders. Reassemble the halves on site and make the second chisel cut there.

#13 2018-09-25 20:29:18

helloworld

well, I really want a tier 1 wall. Sooooooooo make this happen! Btw, Shouldn't we be able to make wooden walls from boards?

#14 2018-09-25 20:58:27

Turnipseed

helloworld wrote:

well, I really want a tier 1 wall. Sooooooooo make this happen! Btw, Shouldn't we be able to make wooden walls from boards?

+1
Picket fences

Last edited by Turnipseed (2018-09-25 20:58:53)

#15 2018-09-26 00:45:45

pein

they are nice because each wall can be made into door and they cannot be locked

i seen someone starting one so i finished it, this was long ago, and people were carry around making puns like 'i been framed' or 'i am jailed' or 'i go to  catch some fish', was pretty funny

yeah they got a hit by milkweed update, actually even a 5x5 milkweed field was op with the soil back then

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2018-09-26 01:05:31

helloworld

IDK, How Barrel (food storage) got more votes then pine panel. I would rather get pine panel then barrels. people go vote for better pine panel, for the future houses. For the future generation.

Say no to homeless. say yes to houses for everyone!. I swear, if we don't get tier 1 wall. There will be blood, many will die.

#17 2018-09-26 14:55:09

Solbusaur

I think rope should still be a part of it

Two shafts + two more shafts + Lasso + needles = Pine wall
Perhaps the lasso could be changed to a rope

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#18 2018-09-26 17:42:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

This is an interesting case.

The Pine walls were the first ones that I added to the game.

I've made pine walls in real life, and it takes a ton of work.  There are many steps, and LOTS of rope.  (Look up lashing.)

This is not a normal crafting game, with balanced recipes (150 wood plus 75 stone makes a hatchet, but 100 wood plus 125 stone makes a pick axe).

This is a maker simulation.  Watch Primitive Technology on YouTube.  It's all about steps.

You can't build a fire by rubbing two sticks together.  There are a LOT more steps than that.  The game includes all those steps.

People say, "Can't we start a fire with flint and steel?"  As if you could just use those on a log and make a fire.  Flint and steel, in my experience, only works if you have VERY fine tinder, like cotton fluff.  I'm pretty sure they would not work at all on juniper bark tinder (though I haven't tried it).  A hot ember does work on juniper/cedar/redwood bark tinder (I've done it).

Realism means that some things are unbalanced.  This is part of the march of technology.  Adobe walls require no rope, and are simply better walls than lashed pine panels.

There's a reason why we don't see lashed pine panels all over the place in real life....

#19 2018-09-26 18:44:26

InSpace

But ingame we use wooden floors for roads, small holes as fences for sheep, stand around naked all our lives, only eat berries and babies say f-u as their first words, so much for realism! (jokes)

Last edited by InSpace (2018-09-26 18:44:43)

#20 2018-09-26 19:47:53

boggers

jasonrohrer wrote:

There are many steps, and LOTS of rope.  (Look up lashing.)
Watch Primitive Technology on YouTube.

Here's the Primitive Technology guy using vines for lashing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXUCQc2Z78

Here he is using vines and some kind of bark for lashing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7985zBEM3o

Or watch any of the Indonesian ones who work with bamboo. None of them use rope for lashing.

#21 2018-09-26 19:56:51

voy178

jasonrohrer wrote:

This is an interesting case.

The Pine walls were the first ones that I added to the game.

I've made pine walls in real life, and it takes a ton of work.  There are many steps, and LOTS of rope.  (Look up lashing.)

This is not a normal crafting game, with balanced recipes (150 wood plus 75 stone makes a hatchet, but 100 wood plus 125 stone makes a pick axe).

This is a maker simulation.  Watch Primitive Technology on YouTube.  It's all about steps.

You can't build a fire by rubbing two sticks together.  There are a LOT more steps than that.  The game includes all those steps.

People say, "Can't we start a fire with flint and steel?"  As if you could just use those on a log and make a fire.  Flint and steel, in my experience, only works if you have VERY fine tinder, like cotton fluff.  I'm pretty sure they would not work at all on juniper bark tinder (though I haven't tried it).  A hot ember does work on juniper/cedar/redwood bark tinder (I've done it).

Realism means that some things are unbalanced.  This is part of the march of technology.  Adobe walls require no rope, and are simply better walls than lashed pine panels.

There's a reason why we don't see lashed pine panels all over the place in real life....

Right, but domestication in the game is less than a few years. Who knew that sheep, cows and pigs evolved through one generation of a domesticated wild animal of a different species.

#22 2018-09-26 21:13:33

Glassius

Dear Jason, crafting in this game is quite far away from reality. Examples:

1. Sticking a rabbit on skewer takes the same effort as digging a well. I understand engine does not allow to simulate difference action times, but maybe some actions should consume food bars? In this game hard, physical work does not affect burnt callories.
2. You cannot cook rabbit over campfire. Strange, as I was cooking many things over campfires.
3. Sheeps are spamming lambs without eating.
4. Crafting first soil: pick it up from wild soil deposit. Such a thing almost don't exist in reality, as it would be covered pretty quickly with plants. Such a phenomena can be created by eating boars or falling tree, but it is temporary.
5. U need berries and carrot to make compost. Corn, cabbage is unacceptable.
6. You can acquire feather from wild goose, but not domestic
7. You cannot eat seal.
8. Backpack is possible to do only from rabbit fur, despite seals, pigs and cows available in the game.

And so on, and so on. This just a simulation and you are a single developer. We understand the lack of crafting versatility. Please, just don't justify these lacks with reality aspect, like you did quite often with arrow in the chest, before medicine update.

#23 2018-09-26 21:30:16

Turnipseed

+1 glassius

#24 2018-09-26 22:22:44

UnnoticedShadow

+1 Glass:)

#25 2018-09-26 23:20:54

Potjeh

Isn't it a bit wasteful to have items in game that are never used? Drawing pine panels must've taken some time.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-09-26 23:21:18)

Board footer