One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-24 00:07:55

helloworld

Simply Rain

Right now is really hard to die. I think adding another survival element will be great (it also build from current game mechanic). and aesthetically pleasing. Also adds Random factor (like real life) element to game.

----The Rain----

Game Mechanic:

Each biome has certain chance of rain occurring at interval of 1 year (one min)
Example: green tiles has 1/4, desert 1/10, mountain 1/3, yellow 1/6, swamp 1/3; every 1 min it has chance of raining for 1 min.

Each biome is connect (chance of rain, and raining happens within the same biome together)
Example: if rain is active for green biome. All green biome gets the effect of rain (Server 1 all green biome are raining). (less complex math system, and simple implementation).

--Effect of Rain--

Drop temperature of player to coldest temp level (when in raining tile)

Lingering affect "wet" - When leaving raining tile (you have statues "wet" and lose 1 tier of heat).
-You can get ride of this statues by clicking on (fire) or simply being out of rain for 1 min.

Fire burns twice as fast when in raining tile (last less longer)

Well, pond - gains 10% of max capacity or 1 extra water level.

***Some mention here about the effect of watering all farm plot area. This mechanic might be way to powerful, unless we add stuff like flood chance (which destroy farmed plot) to balance it out. OR some other mechanic like rotting food thats on raining tile. A lot more effect that can be added later on. But for now Simple things will be better.

--Prevention--

Shelter (wall in room) will prevent raining effect on walled in area.

This makes shelter more useful in term of survival (Family gathering indoors while it rains)

Last edited by helloworld (2018-09-24 00:09:44)

#2 2018-09-24 00:11:38

UnnoticedShadow

Re: Simply Rain

This is great, but at the moment the biomes are too small for it to rain in one biome and not rain in another.  Jason would need to make the biomes bigger first, which he should, anyways.

#3 2018-09-24 00:28:25

helloworld

My understanding from what you said, Was sometimes there is small patch of biome and it would be weird to see small area raining. is this correct?

But even if it looks weird for small area to be raining i still think overall this will be great both emotionally and gameplay wise. and small patch of biome looks weird either way.

#4 2018-09-24 01:18:17

UnnoticedShadow

Yes, it is.  Though Jason, with or without rain should expand the biomes, so that should not be too much of a problem.

Although it's been said many times before, biomes should be made around 10x bigger, and made so you can survive in all of them individually.

Last edited by UnnoticedShadow (2018-09-24 01:26:59)

#5 2018-09-24 01:38:32

helloworld

Yea, but I think we should focus on rain for now. since it is easy to implement, yet it provides a lot of gameplay and emotional value.

Biggest benefit is actually making shelter more useful to survival. Without changing too much gameplay. I been suggesting idea to do this, and it seems rain is the simplest solution to this.

#6 2018-09-24 01:50:45

Raliax

I don't know, this seems like it would be really annoying and make life much harder for Eves..
Being an eve is hard enough as it is, but adding a system that will make it harder 25% of the time every minute doesn't sound fun.
This system has more cons to it than pros, and prevention is something that is only possible late to mid tier.

Last edited by Raliax (2018-09-24 01:53:34)

#7 2018-09-24 01:52:38

UnnoticedShadow

I disagree, as rain would be made ugly by alternating biomes, while biomes would be improved by rain, they would not be ugly without it.

#8 2018-09-24 02:06:09

helloworld

Raliax wrote:

I don't know, this seems like it would be really annoying and make life much harder for Eves..
Being an eve is hard enough as it is, but adding a system that will make it harder 25% of the time every minute doesn't sound fun.
This system has more cons to it than pros, and prevention is something that is only possible late to mid tier.

is an example, it can be lower chance (or different formula), and we can make building walls cheaper in resource. Those are small balancing issue. I think adding rain would be better overall experience, and easy to implement. Also im a big fan of rain in any game. Its pleasing to look at, and the activity create such as family gathering during rainy season is nice.

and being an eve is not hard, if you think being eve or this game is hard in terms of survival. you have not played enough.

#9 2018-09-24 04:51:36

pein

will not happen, lot of people tried to suggest

there wont be between tile transitions sadly
as the client is kinda simple and jason dont want to rewrite it

also no need to rain on whole server, but yeah it can
but only the discovered tiles need to be affected

i could imagine having rain, having decaying mushrooms growing after rain
refilling ponds a bit
also drough, you need to water crops again or get plants ruined, especially when not maintained for years (was a way in tropico to force you rethink your policy- would work better with decor and pollution levels)

even a bear attack feels nice sometimes, i would like hurricanes and shit

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#10 2018-09-24 04:58:25

MultiLife

helloworld wrote:

and being an eve is not hard, if you think being eve or this game is hard in terms of survival. you have not played enough.

Well I've played only 5 or so Eve lives without being born to a town and those have been the hardest lives always. Unless I starved all of my kids... it's always a struggle as you may not spawn veteran players to help you.

Anyways not feeling the rain at this stage of the game. It's painfully slow to get to buildings and such. And deserts would become even better with less chance of floods or continuous rain.

I'd say we need oil and such for fires that can last in rain, more shelter options and easier clothing first before adding such an element to the game. Otherwise people would have to sit indoors or freeze outside while it rains, and many years from your lives could be "lost" to rain. People would fight for clothes.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#11 2018-09-24 05:10:51

VioletLily

MultiLife wrote:

I'd say we need oil and such for fires that can last in rain, more shelter options and easier clothing first before adding such an element to the game. Otherwise people would have to sit indoors or freeze outside while it rains, and many years from your lives could be "lost" to rain. People would fight for clothes.

No comment on the rain, but flax or cotton would be a good addition for easy textiles. They would be grown like any other crop, and people have been using them for centuries. In fact, flax is thought to be one of the first plants to be cultivated by man. It is actually used for both linens (from the fibers) and oil (from the seeds), so it would cover two of your points. I think it would fit into the game well. Cotton could be used in the same way.

Last edited by VioletLily (2018-09-24 05:18:16)

#12 2018-09-24 07:49:29

Booklat1

UnnoticedShadow wrote:

Yes, it is.  Though Jason, with or without rain should expand the biomes, so that should not be too much of a problem.

Although it's been said many times before, biomes should be made around 10x bigger, and made so you can survive in all of them individually.

I slightly disagree on this. Biomes should be rebalanced, yes, bigger (maybe not 10x) and further from each other yes, but making all capable of survival and, specially sustainability make no sense. Biomes should be different enough that you need to combine them for your survival but also provide just enough that you get by on some of them for a short while at least. This all adds up to more options and choices, specially early game. Do you pick the biome with water plus the biome with soil or the ones with iron and rabbits? Currently it's not even a question, you always need the first two early to late game and the other two when either iron/sheep or rabbits are needed.

I think bigger biomes should be a thing, maybe 2 to 3 times bigger but also adding another single early/mid game biome which offered food and alternatives for either tools/water/soil could spice up the game big time.

I lke the idea of weather a lot, but maybe slightly tweaked and slightly later on the game's development.

#13 2018-09-24 08:01:37

voy178

VioletLily wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

No comment on the rain, but flax or cotton would be a good addition for easy textiles. They would be grown like any other crop, and people have been using them for centuries. In fact, flax is thought to be one of the first plants to be cultivated by man. It is actually used for both linens (from the fibers) and oil (from the seeds), so it would cover two of your points. I think it would fit into the game well. Cotton could be used in the same way.

I do agree with you that Flax would be nice to have, but seeing how Jason doesn't want us to be comfortable in our existence ever, I doubt that he'll implement something so stable as Flax.

Board footer