One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-14 00:20:14

helloworld

Lack of focus on core game development

why dont we improve on the idea of strong community = higher tech and high tier civilization.

Right now we have village not even civilization. We really need more development on the civ tier aspect.

Think about it, if getting to tier 10 civ takes 60 generation. We will mostly all be working towards that common goal. Making it more community driven with similar goals. I thought this game was about community of people gathering to build a civilization.

Currently we are at tier 3 and it barely reach generation 6 before everyone is just in sustaining mode. Thats very boring and not goal driven.

I believe Jason should spend as much time and resource into building a roadmap to tier 10 civilization. There is lack of focus in this game development.

Some people want a multiplayer sim game. This is not sim is a harsh survival game trying to build a high tier civilization and in order to achieve that you need a community.

We dont need community to survive. We need community to progress in game and see more in-game tools and building. Getting high tier civilization is or should be core part of the game design.

Right now it is not, we are so focus on social aspect (racism and other high tier civilization aspect). Yet we have less then the poorest country in our world. Stop bring ur first world problem to this ancient dinosaur age of civ. For fk sake do you think cavemen worried about racism.

What are your thoughts? Cause at this rate we will have a social engineering experiment, instead of a you need a strong community to reach the max tier game.

#2 2018-09-14 00:55:12

Auner

Re: Lack of focus on core game development

While i agree with what you are getting at- here is my own take on reality: Jason said 2 years- it's been 6 months. So the reality of a 10 tier civ would require a company be built around this game and Jason is making enough money to employ someone.

In the end- I doutb it will resemble much of our modern reality-- and after sleeping on this- I'm actually more in favor of that being the 'end game'- should that how this game ends.

I feel the real lack of development has been a challenge in balance. In my own observation of areas that need to be re-balanced:

1. The relationship with temperature and food. I've noticed temp has gotten a little TLC recently-- but if you're naked and not in the desert- you are FREEZING! it would make way more sense to atleast have green biomes be just below perfect temp. The penalty for being cold is ruthless on newb eves- and OHOL is for some reason in Finland or something cause it's cold all the time, everywhere.  Unless you're in that CERTAIN spot. But also imagining- you're just walking around, always fluxing wildly in temperature.

2. The battle of adding new content and storage.  Why don't we have baskets that can hold 5 items yet? or better backpacks? There's certain times in clutter-hood where storage options need to be added. Instead, Jason made storage options of such decay which just really compounded the whole clutter issue.

3. A total lack of clarity. We have notes. Can we please have a labeling system? Like if you write: "Carrot" on a note- and you put that note in a basic- a carrot will appear on the basket- effectively labeling it as a "carrot basket" for the world to see undeniably. It wouldn't fix all the things, but it would end some clarity annoyances that have become synonyms to the game it self. (ie: Someone stole my basket)

Once upon a time there was a lizard who wanted to be a dragon...

#3 2018-09-14 01:36:45

Booklat1

jason can't just add modern tech and assume all issues of the community will magically cease. Not only because community isn't a tech related issue alone but because for the tech to have a purpose it "needs to be needed". Have you ever seen ads of strange kitchen utensils that feel extremely interesting before you realize a dedicated pickle pealer or whatever? would be pretty much the same thing if Jason just added stuff out of purpose.

Now, I agree with your original point but I think theres a reason dev has taken the route it has. Jason spent a lot of time between curse/twins updates and lagfixes. After that he did exactly that which you asked, added cows, rails and roads, more storage. We see cows, they're great, also roads and piles of iron. we do not see many roads. Why is that? because while theyre something to strive for they were never really needed. Sure you can build a rail from the pen to the oven, but you can just build them close. There is mostly no need for such an expensive somewhat automated transport system yet.

But about that relation of community + civ tier, after roads were introducted we've had a few battles between villages and a lot of talk about trade. I think intersocietal relations are saddly still a miss with this game and its not by adding to the core game vertically that this can be solved. I agree with auner here, there needs to be some rebalancing in the game right from the eve starts. The one issue i can think of is the fact all civs really need biomes in a very specific order, making early game boring after a few times. And after that all biomes are so close that you can easily scout for any resources you need. What i'm saying is, we need a larger bottom to make the tech tree capable of growing steady. Otherwise all cities are equal and most techs meaningless.

based on the trailer of the game and some comment of Jason I saw somewhere, he'll be adding stuff both as the community finds it needed and also to this base i've mentioned so that most techs that he add are either stuff we asked for or stuff that'll be needed as the tech goes further.

I just really wish he'd give a few updates now, while the game is still young, to rebalancing and adding more early-mid game variance in biomes, maybe even adding a couple of those.

#4 2018-09-14 05:15:18

helloworld

There is still a lot of simple tech that are missing.

Good example are large iron mine. A new node that need special mining shaft+ Drilling tool to mine. Holds 50-200 iron in single mine node. This allow town that are running out of iron to have closer access to large supply of iron. And make use of road.

Edit*note: good balance to this is allowing single large iron mine to hold 1000 iron, but you need pickaxe(certain tool) to aquire iron from mine. Also there is wait period each time u take out iron thus requires someone to work there full time.

Clay mine pit: access to clay in large quantities.

Stone quarries: flat stone, round stone, large rock.

This are needed for higher tech civilization to have steady supply of resources to build bigger and more. Also road system becomes very useful. New working area and people who transport goods are needed both food and resource. Kinda like trading without currency

Wagons: two horse plus wagon allows for 8 slot.

So many simple, but very useful things to add. And builds on the current game mechanics like roads and cart. And the needs of bigger civilization such as large deposits of resource closer to the city.

Last edited by helloworld (2018-09-14 05:26:41)

#5 2018-09-14 09:39:22

pein

we had food, then tutorial
then skins
i dont know but i dont really enjoy the new meta
people  really just making more paranoid rules, and its fun activity to micromanage a berry farm
we really need higher harder tech to keep people occupied

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2018-09-14 14:50:10

Morti

pein wrote:

we really need higher harder tech to keep people occupied

HERE! HERE!

#7 2018-09-14 15:30:32

Roblor

Now, a tech-update with craftable technology to improve the surivability of the ingame community, should always be evened out with a counter obstacle or challenge.
The ability to kill wild animals has come at the cost of being safe from harm from other humans, the horse and carriage has come with the cost of having to travel further to progress.

I think now is nearing the time to add general food decay and food conservation tech.
Carrots, cactus fruit, meat, eggs, stew, etc, should each have their respective storage optimization or else they should decay like berries do. To counter this challenge such an update poses, tech to increase food accessibility could be implemented. Tables to allow a tile to visibly store several cooked dishes on plates or in bowls on said table tile, barrels to safely, but less visibly, store fresh produce (yes the labeling idea suggested above would be very useful here), some kind of packaging technique for bringing cooked meals with you in your bp, glass jars to hold juice and jam, shelves to visibly display conserved food (or whatever), meat smokery and salting to conserve uncooked meat.
In addition some primitive storage techniques are also needed, such as simply storing meat and eggs on cold tiles and drying fruit and appropriate produce on desert tiles or maybe even stashing some in dark, cool, bear caves (that are empty). This would daunt our newest players, but berry bushes would then again always be there to keep them safe and sound.
BTW does sheep eat food or crops when they are loose? I read it once ingame, but I've actually never seen it.

The world of OHOL is a simplified one without most of the challenges of our own. Thus each tech update could be added with the introduction of a realistic, previously ignored, real world factor, which is an obstacle to be overcome.
An other possible challenge could be terrain obstacles such as rivers and ravines, thus creating the need for bridge construction and other such tech.

I'd also like to see more advanced buildings some time in the future. Is it just me that find it odd that people build houses without roofs?

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#8 2018-09-14 17:06:23

MultiLife

Careful with the food decay. Crazy amazing griefing possibilities; just get all food out and watch people scurry to put everything back to storage, yayy babysitting.. Yes we shouldn't let griefers stop us but making an update like that without considering that is dangerous. It'd be terrifyingly easy, where now the worst someone can do is take a cartful of pies out in the wilderness and slowly eat the rest.
It's a fast-paced game, new tech is great but as mentioned, it needs to be needed. Adding extra steps to systems that are manageable now (food) is really questionable. Like nerf a thing and demand new steps so it works like it did before...? Imagine running to get a piece of food only to see it decay as you try to eat it. I'd rather have salted, smoked and stored food be simply better and hold hunger better than have stuff go bad and decay. At some point the storaged food could become a necessity to be able to focus in later game tech so everyone would work towards storaged and processed food at some point to live more tech-oriented life without messing the early camp lives and farm towns. Inedible items are fine with decay upon use or time but edible stuff in a fast-paced game is terrifying to time like that, the decay always happens like "kablamo!" in game. While food goes bad in real-life, we are not in such a fast-paced chaos with it - in-game you have no clarity how to time food for the people and what is decaying and when. You don't have time to execute a plan B when your meal just disappears. I believe food decaying would be too frustrating to be a fun survival challenge in this game.

Glass stuff could be fun, but if they break, I'd just rather have clay (unless those start breaking too). Would be fun to have more professions.

Anyways I wouldn't belittle issues that are shooing away new players. Getting to high tech stuff takes time so the capability to hold players in (by them enjoying the game, at least the majority) is essential.

Last edited by MultiLife (2018-09-14 17:41:01)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#9 2018-09-14 17:44:42

Redram

Agree with op.   The last couple upates have been disappointing.   Useless minecarts, all but useless paper.   Dogs are probably going to be useless at best -   another griefer tool at worst.  Makes me wonder if Jason is at a loss as to how to advance the tech tree.

#10 2018-09-14 22:03:14

Booklat1

keep in mind paper and notes were heavily suggested by the community; its not entirely jasons fault that paper is lame. Honestly, i always thought people would end up giving no fucks to notes. It takes investiment to read notes and to learn whatever, people just wanna take  tongs while someone else is smithing to """learn""".

decay could work if it applied to unprepared food. all meats and vegetables could decay. im not so sure it's needed though.

#11 2018-09-14 22:52:08

Catfive

Booklat1 wrote:

keep in mind paper and notes were heavily suggested by the community; its not entirely jasons fault that paper is lame. Honestly, i always thought people would end up giving no fucks to notes. It takes investiment to read notes and to learn whatever, people just wanna take  tongs while someone else is smithing to """learn""".

decay could work if it applied to unprepared food. all meats and vegetables could decay. im not so sure it's needed though.

Dogs were suggested by community too but not as useless tile occupying irritating blobs of fur

#12 2018-09-14 22:56:52

Booklat1

but how cool can a dog inside a game be? I haven't bred any dogs yet but this also seemed pretty impractical of a feature (unless dogs did pretty useful stuff i mean). Its not like you can easily bond do a doggo in less than a hour too, which takes much of the fun of a pet

#13 2018-09-15 14:17:20

Redram

Redram wrote:

Dogs are probably going to be useless at best -   another griefer tool at worst.

Nailed it!

I would have hope that we were going to get some usefulness next update, but minecarts have been useless for weeks now, sooooo...

#14 2018-09-15 17:44:56

MultiLife

Redram wrote:
Redram wrote:

Dogs are probably going to be useless at best -   another griefer tool at worst.

Nailed it!

I would have hope that we were going to get some usefulness next update, but minecarts have been useless for weeks now, sooooo...

I hoped the dogs would've been like useful snares and helpful tools, maybe carry a basket while following you (fetch stuff on command?) and of course chase wild animals away (or kill them if like 4+ dogs land a bite on a bear?) but yeahh they are not quite what we needed... just issues and hazards. big_smile

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

Board footer