One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-09 13:49:13

SomeRandomPerson

Is it possible to survive without farming?

Would that challenge be possible?

#2 2018-09-09 13:51:34

Aurora Aurora

Re: Is it possible to survive without farming?

Only surviving on cacti would be difficult but possible

One of the original veterans.
Go-to person for anything roleplay related.
4 years in the community.
Unbanned from the discord.

#3 2018-09-09 13:52:47

Anshin

Sure, nomad life works just fine. Eat along the way. Keep running until you reach that bell!

#4 2018-09-09 14:01:28

Booklat1

As an individual it's pretty easy, as a family it starts to get harder, maybe few skilled members trapping and collecting eggs could do it. There's just not much tech into nomadic lifestyle currently so i think it would be a bit meaningless (for me). Maybe you can get your family a knife to butcher mouflon and make more arrows for your people but thats about it. If only there was flint and steel.

#5 2018-09-09 14:11:18

PeaGirl

If you find temperature spot and plenty of cactuses around, I'd say that is one place to be able to survive, but essentially farming will become a mandatory if you plan on keeping family. That is why keeping boys in desert areas is good because they will likely never die since they have cactus fruits to eat.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#6 2018-09-09 15:19:43

Roblor

Real nomads actually revisit their old locations in cycles so that the natural resources can recover from
the grazing of their herds.

Likewise, if newer generations in OHOL could be properly informed by their elders about the locations of their other bases and when they should go there, such a lifestyle wouldn't be totally impossible. The addition of a map or other navigation tools to this game would of course be necessary seeing how our ability to communicate with each other in-game is, at the moment, severely gimped.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#7 2018-09-09 16:56:37

karltown_veteran

Another challenge: Would it be possible to pull off a winter farm, if berries and carrots nearby? My challenge to pros!

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#8 2018-09-09 18:58:02

Booklat1

Roblor wrote:

Real nomads actually revisit their old locations in cycles so that the natural resources can recover from
the grazing of their herds.

Likewise, if newer generations in OHOL could be properly informed by their elders about the locations of their other bases and when they should go there, such a lifestyle wouldn't be totally impossible. The addition of a map or other navigation tools to this game would of course be necessary seeing how our ability to communicate with each other in-game is, at the moment, severely gimped.

That could work if people build roads to connect particularly bountiful areas. Nomad is viable, just not for newer players and big families. specially because you can't make it that people wont eventually set somewhere. Maybe it's fun for a twin eve run, try and have descendants all around a huge area, give them only tools like firebow and hatched on a basket. You can leave trails of stones before building roads. Make sure you have a bag to pass on to your kid should he accept this different life.

#9 2018-09-09 21:59:07

LaughAtlantis

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the ease of living with a lot of ponds.  It's NOT a nomad life, but you can survive solely off eggs quite nicely. I've lived in two egg-based villages that were adjacent to cities. I don't think one of the cities would have survived without the village as a bridge between us and the savanna; the other?  Well, always nice to have egg supplements.  But - depending on how many ponds you have - one can definitely spend a whole life in Eggville.

Yum. Yum. Yum. Meh.

#10 2018-09-09 23:02:44

SomeRandomPerson

I thinks it's possible for a small family, You can still make tools if you survive but obviously hard without farming. You could still actually make pies/Bread but you have to use wild wheat and mutton.

Last edited by SomeRandomPerson (2018-09-09 23:06:36)

#11 2018-09-09 23:40:14

pein

cows

you still need to farm a bit, then just dump soil on hardened row and plant some milkweed
make a lot of buckets

well it still need a corn time to time, but if you got 11 buckets, you can milk it, give water, take out one fresh milk in bowl, put into other
end up with an empty water bucket, 1 bowl of water, 11xmilk buckets with 9 milk each and one extra milk bowl
certainly fastest way to feed population and most water efficient
you can make 400 bowls of milk with one soil
ofc milkweed  uses bunch of ropes, 1 each plus 2 for bow and arrows, so initial cost of 13 ropes
i actually dont know if partial milk bucket goes into skim milk or not
i had it once, maybe people filled my other buckets back to get butter
if partial bucket goes to skim then you need to store it in bowls

generally wont really work without farming cause noobs wont go fetching cacti and die with no berries around, or eat carrot for composting, you need noobs to raise up pro kids, you can minimize farming and berries, but you need some of it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2018-09-09 23:55:53

Tarr
Banned

I mean it's technically possible to just live off milk but the game gets rather boring if you do it that way. Once you get to buckets you just need to feed a cow once (requires three corn total: one for the wild calf, one to turn the baby cow to an adult, and a third to get the cow to produce milk.) As long as you milk the cow after the calf falls off it will turn from domestic cow to dry domestic cow which as of now isn't degrading back to domestic cow.

You only ever need to plant one corn kernel then from that plant you technically never have to farm again if you go out and collect all the rope you need for your buckets.

Whole milk doesn't transition to skim milk unless it's a full bucket of whole milk so just take out a bowl within each milking session.

So yeah at the end of the day you really don't have to farm but you'll end up boring yourself + killing off anyone who doesn't realize they have to drink milk.

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2018-09-10 03:23:24

redbird

I really want to try this - live as a nomadic group with carts and horses with a few known campsites for reloading on tools, milk, and cactus seeds. One would have to basically start in a settled village, but it could be cool to have a whole group living in the seats of their saddles.

To really make it work, some way of mapping or otherwise finding regular watering holes as mentioned above would be helpful, as would being able to put babies and tots in carts (or make wagons!). I'm just imagining carts full of backpacks, baskets, and buckets, each a designated purpose: food, tools, babies, etc. Maybe hitch a sledge to a domesticated wolf.

I guess the family group could just pull carts themselves and have just a couple horses for scouting, but it's more impressive to have an entire civ group be like nomadic steppe people. I want to see it possible for a bigger group to live that way.

Last edited by redbird (2018-09-10 03:24:40)

#14 2018-09-10 09:24:11

Roblor

LaughAtlantis wrote:

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the ease of living with a lot of ponds.  It's NOT a nomad life, but you can survive solely off eggs quite nicely. I've lived in two egg-based villages that were adjacent to cities. I don't think one of the cities would have survived without the village as a bridge between us and the savanna; the other?  Well, always nice to have egg supplements.  But - depending on how many ponds you have - one can definitely spend a whole life in Eggville.

It's a great idea. I've done it several times, but kids are hesitant to touch the stuff.
Some are noobs of course and others hesitate because they think it's a "waste" - and they die.
I only make omelette stand to supplement already functioning towns and villages now. Have you ever seen an entire area completely covered in ready-to-eat omelettes?
It's a beauty to behold for sure.

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#15 2018-09-11 00:04:59

Booklat1

redbird, i think the best way to mark places is building roads really.

Board footer